DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 09-09-2018, 08:22 AM
Silver Member

Default Gretsch With Triple Flange Hoops?

I really like Gretsch Brooklyn drums, but they are by far the heaviest drums I own. I only want to own a set that I would be willing to gig. At this point, the Brooklyns are heavier than I would like, if I'm going to be gigging frequently.

So, if I switch over to "typical" 2.3 triple flange hoops, will I notice a significant drop in weight? Anybody have any idea?
Old 09-09-2018, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Gretsch With Triple Flange Hoops?

I've hauled around USA drums with die cast hoops and didn't think they were very heavy. Personally, the weight of the drums isn't what would bother me, it's the weight of the hardware I'm carrying around. I'd lighten up on the hardware and play the drums as they are.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:03 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I've hauled around USA drums with die cast hoops and didn't think they were very heavy. Personally, the weight of the drums isn't what would bother me, it's the weight of the hardware I'm carrying around. I'd lighten up on the hardware and play the drums as they are.
I actually have the light, flat base stands that Ludwig makes. The stands are quite light, although my Roc n Soc throne is heavy.

Iím comparing the Brooklyns to my vintage Ludwigs and my C&C drums- both of which are significantly lighter than the Gretsch.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member

Chunk, not sure if the weight drop would be significant but the drop would be there. if you lift all the die cast hoops on both toms , they are a bit heavy.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

From die casts to thing flanged hoops the difference is HUGE. Im your case I'd go to a store and just lift some.

It's generally about the sound we want, though. Drums may be bulky, but there are usually heavier pieces in my setup.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:37 AM
Silver Member

Put some S-hoops on the batter sides. That will save you some weight. I don't find the Brooklyn's particularly heavy especially compared to an older Gretsch 57 kit I had with the die casts. Maybe hit the gym , hehe J/K.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:48 PM
Administrator - Mayor

don't the Brooklyns have 302 hoops and not die cast?

From the website:

Brooklyn toms and snares feature the distinctive Gretsch “302” hoop. Its 3mm thick and double-flanged and is reminiscent of hoops used by Gretsch until the mid 1950’s.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

I just checked it out , the difference is minimal. 302 hoops? wouldn't know.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:13 PM
Silver Member

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the responses.

So, I do hit the gym all the time :) but I am always trying to lighten the load I have to carry, especially since I sometimes have to carry gear fairly long distances from the car to the stage.

The Brooklyns do have the 302 hoops. So, maybe the drums themselves are quite a bit heavier? I just had a friend pick up the Brooklyn tom and the C&C tom and they said the difference was noticeable and quite significant. I figured it was the hoops, but perhaps it is the shells themselves.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Gold Member

I purchased a Gretsch USA Custom kit from someone that purchased the kit less than a month before from Steve Maxwell. It was in the Maxwell exclusive Espresso Burst wrap and the previous owner ordered the kit with 302 hoops.
I got the kit and could never get it to sound like I knew a USA Custom to sound . ( I have owned a LOT of Gretsch kits). The 302 hoops were the culprit. If you want the atypical Gretsch sound , keep the diecast hoops. If you want th more focussed , drier sound keep the diecast. If you want more resonance, higher harmonics then go with the 302 hoops.

That being said, I really like the 302 hoops on snares, they work really well and donít sounds as boxy as diecast can on some snares.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:39 PM
Gold Member

I just weighed 14” 2.3mm triple flange hoops at 14oz, and cast came in at 1lb 12oz. Haven’t weighed the 302, but really close in weight to cast, so approximately 2lbs weigh savings per drum.

Last edited by AzHeat; 09-09-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
I just weighed 14Ē 2.3mm triple flange hoops at 14oz, and cast came in at 1lb 12oz. Havenít weighed the 302, but really close in weight to cast, so approximately 2lbs weigh savings per drum.
Oh wow, thank you very much for doing that. 2 pounds doesn't seem like a lot, but with 4 or 5 drums, that can be a significant difference. I'm trying to lighten my gear as much as possible.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:02 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkaway View Post
Oh wow, thank you very much for doing that. 2 pounds doesn't seem like a lot, but with 4 or 5 drums, that can be a significant difference. I'm trying to lighten my gear as much as possible.
Well, I wish I had that right. I just realized it was a 1.6mm hoop I weighed. Guess I forgot to swap hoops, before I gave away my old snare. Not sue what the difference will be now, but likely closer to half what I originally wrote! Sorry for the mixup.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Well, I wish I had that right. I just realized it was a 1.6mm hoop I weighed. Guess I forgot to swap hoops, before I gave away my old snare. Not sue what the difference will be now, but likely closer to half what I originally wrote! Sorry for the mixup.
No worries, thanks for the heads up.

You have a Brooklyn kit, correct? Do you notice the weight of the drums being significant?
Old 09-10-2018, 03:09 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkaway View Post
No worries, thanks for the heads up.

You have a Brooklyn kit, correct? Do you notice the weight of the drums being significant?
I was curious about that when I bought them and compared to my PDP set, the shells are definitely heavier. Not sure why The lugs are super light and of course the hoops are heavy. All in all, they weighed about to the same. The lugs and STM mounts on the PDPs were chunky, but hoops and shells are heavier on the Brooklyn.

Last edited by AzHeat; 09-10-2018 at 04:13 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:16 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I was curious about that when I bought them and compared to my PDP set, the shells are definitely heavier. Not sure why The lugs are super light and of course the hoops are heavy. All in all, they weighed about to the same. The lugs and STM mounts on the PDPs were chunky, but hoops and shells are heavier on the Brooklyn.

Hmm...interesting. Thanks for the information.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

Anyway the worst to carry will still be the Bass drum, so...
I often complain about the weight of my kit. Gretsch are known to be heavy. Does anyone know the weight of the Brooklyn bass drum ?
My bass drum 22x16 weights almost 13 kg. (28,6 lb)