DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

Default Are We Just Being Silly?

Well, are we? Ultimately we hit things with sticks. Playing the drums is just such a childish act in itself, that sometimes while playing I can't help but think that there is something better I could be doing with my time.

All of the investment we have made to become drummers, both personally and financially, just to hit stuff with sticks. The more I think about it, the more absurd it seems.

Will I stop? No. Do I find personal enjoyment hitting things with sticks? Absolutely. Will I find god or the meaning of life doing it? Probably never. Is it worth more to me than what it actually is, yes and no.

So again I ask, are we just being silly? All of this fussing just to hit stuff with sticks?
Old 09-09-2018, 11:37 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: Are We Just Being Silly?

I consider my playing more than just hitting things with sticks.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:00 AM
Silver Member

II. Are we just being silly? Well, are we? Ultimately we spit into a brass pipe. Playing the trumpet (insert trombone tuba etc.) is just such a childish act in itself, that sometimes while playing I can't help but think that there is something better I could be doing with my time than spitting into a brass pipe.

All of the investment we have made to become brass musicians, both personally and financially, just to spit in a brass pipe. The more I think about it, the more absurd it seems.

III. Are we just being silly? Well, are we? Ultimately we pluck a thread. Playing the guitar (insert banjo mandolin etc.) is just such a childish act in itself, that sometimes while playing I can't help but think that there is something better I could be doing with my time than plucking a thread.

All of the investment we have made to become string musicians, both personally and financially, just to pluck a thread. The more I think about it, the more absurd it seems.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:02 AM

Everything is sort of arbitrary, but hitting drums with sticks is a lot better than hitting each other with sticks.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:06 AM
Silver Member

Lot of naval gazing going on around here lately....lol.

Between that and the intellectual debates on the value of pop music I'm thinking of taking up something less sophisticated than "hitting stuff with sticks"...

Lol

(Kidding guys let's not take it seriously)
Old 09-10-2018, 12:09 AM
Gold Member

My wife thought the same thing a few years ago and bought me a guitar so I would mature. She then learned guitars don't hold up when beat with sticks! How silly of her! 8-P

Last edited by AzHeat; 09-10-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

The coordination involved with 4-limb independence is really good for your brain. Playing any instrument is good for your brain, but I feel like drums may be the best one for that purpose, since they involve the lower body so much more than most instruments.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Playing the drums is just such a childish act in itself
How is it childish? Would you regard playing timpani, vibes, glock, marimba, and xylophone childish?
Old 09-10-2018, 01:15 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Lot of naval gazing going on around here lately....lol.

Between that and the intellectual debates on the value of pop music I'm thinking of taking up something less sophisticated than "hitting stuff with sticks"...

Lol

(Kidding guys let's not take it seriously)
Now there's a very observant forum veteran if ever there was one. I like how you made the link between two diffreent forum discussions, Mongrel.

Your reference to the "pop music debate" is testament that hitting things with sticks does not deprive the hitter of intellectual activity.

Shall we all head over to that debate then? I have at least 15 unanswered and provocative posts.

Or we could all go to Mongrel's place and hit things with sticks....
Old 09-10-2018, 01:27 AM
Platinum Member

First of all most of us don't "fuss" about playing the drums. Nor do we "fuss" about our drum gear.
Sure, you can find some posts on this forum that sound like fussing. But most of us don't fuss, instead we enjoy.

I think if all you ever do is sit at home and hit things with sticks, and you take yourself too seriously then yeah you might be silly.
But when you play drums in a band and you are making music, then you are way way beyond simply hitting things with sticks.
You are having a highly emotional and spiritual experience with others.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:51 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I've always considered drumming to be only a part of my life. When someone says 'I live to drum' or 'drumming is my life', I feel sorry that drumming seems so all-consuming for them, as if they have nothing else.

So while drumming isn't silly, it's also not everything. Raise a family. Take a vacation. Start a business or a hobby. Don't sit behind the kit for a week or two. It's smart, healthy, and important to put life first.

Bermuda
Old 09-10-2018, 02:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
I consider my playing more than just hitting things with sticks.
Not me :)

But, it's all about hitting the right things at the time behind good players.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stand View Post
Now there's a very observant forum veteran if ever there was one. I like how you made the link between two diffreent forum discussions, Mongrel.

Your reference to the "pop music debate" is testament that hitting things with sticks does not deprive the hitter of intellectual activity.

Shall we all head over to that debate then? I have at least 15 unanswered and provocative posts.

Or we could all go to Mongrel's place and hit things with sticks....
Mike, honestly, I can't keep up with you! Or with most of the other "three paragraph minimum" per post guys. My comprehension starts fading fast after two paragraphs....lol. Pretty much everyone is right in their own eyes. What more needs to be said?

But, hey, you guys are certainly welcome to stop by my place. I can throw together four or five four piece kits (with some decent cymbals...), then there is the cajone, tamborines and cow bells cor the guys who are late....

Fair warning-I live in 'Joisey so don't expect to be treated well....

*snicker*

(Big) SMILE...

Last edited by Mongrel; 09-10-2018 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Change THERE to THEIR
Old 09-10-2018, 02:10 AM
Platinum Member

I heard Justin Hayward remark once "music is ultimately trivial. Yet absolutely necessary."

Take that for what you care to make of it...
Old 09-10-2018, 02:36 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
But when you play drums in a band and you are making music, then you are way way beyond simply hitting things with sticks.
You are having a highly emotional and spiritual experience with others.
Nailed it. While the concept of 'hitting drums' might conjure up to some people images of animal from the muppets and thus be considered childish, (and hilarious, which animal is :D) it's not that different from a builder hitting nails with a hammer in that it's a means to an end.

In the case of a drummer the sticks are merely a tool, an extension of our own hands in fact, to create sounds which become music. The end result justifies the means, however caveman like it might seem, assuming it's all in time, grooving, and as Jim said, results in an emotional experience. And that is the ultimate goal for most drummers. When it's grooving, it makes you enjoy the music so much more which can really make you feel like you've taken drugs, it puts you on a high. There are drummers who pursue technical excellence and it's all very cerebral, but I think the best drumming comes from the simplest yet grooviest playing, because it moves you.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin5 View Post
How is it childish? Would you regard playing timpani, vibes, glock, marimba, and xylophone childish?
Just the act, the instrument doesn't matter here. If you give a child a stick, eventually they are going to start hitting things with it. Like it's instinctual to a degree. Adults not so much.

I like Bermudas response. Maybe that's why I see it as such. At one point in life, all I did was drum. Now I have a family, a house, other life to consider. Drumming is no longer in the forefront, so maybe it seems a little silly at times.

As for fussing over, I was just trying to find one word to encompass the time and effort we put into every little thing. I thought it fit the bill nicely.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:08 AM
Pioneer Member

Silly or not, it's good the body, mind, and soul. I'm gonna hop in my Jeep, drive twenty minutes and be silly. Yay!!
Old 09-10-2018, 03:16 AM
Platinum Member

a lot of squandered opportunities... when I think of all the reruns of Hee Haw I could've watched... all those extra shifts at the paper box warehouse I could have taken on to earn the money to do ???? unnamed thing more meaningful than playing music... not that the extra shifts at the paper box warehouse wouldn't have been rewarding enough that's not what I'm saying

UPDATE: I am very glad to have this be my 4000th forum post
Old 09-10-2018, 03:28 AM
Gold Member

Congrats todd. Now you need to go do 4000 pataflaflas to celebrate. But that might be a bit silly. :D
Old 09-10-2018, 03:30 AM
Platinum Member

Nah actually it means we are, odds are, very intelligent people ( I think the same of a sense of humor). Huge number of studies linking that learning a musical instrument and study of music can increase IQ. We are all a bunch of freakin’ Geniuses!!! Silly boys and girls. Our threads do twist and turn-lot of systemic musicology. I always wondered if any cognitive musicologist on here? Some of my crazy ones touch on that. I saw this article, which I personally take exception to some of, BUT in light 💡 of the “Pop” thread I just had to post it. Maybe it’s satirical? https://www.spring.org.uk/2018/07/mu...ference-iq.php
Old 09-10-2018, 05:02 AM
Platinum Member

I don;t see all the fuss either. This activity is surely better than ....hitting people with sticks... or hitting little white balls with clubs. People meditate, pray, whittle sticks, or read books for their own enjoyment. These activities make no sound, no music, and thus are of no enjoyment for nobody else either.

(ps. congrats to Todd B on a 4000th post.I've enjoyed many of them)
Old 09-10-2018, 05:52 AM

There's is also this critical part; hitting things with sticks, in time..
Old 09-10-2018, 07:26 AM
Gold Member

Maybe we are being silly, but not as silly as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ixeRWrg0yg
Old 09-10-2018, 07:58 AM

It might be silly but what the hell it is fun and that is all that matters.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
So while drumming isn't silly, it's also not everything. Raise a family. Take a vacation. Start a business or a hobby. Don't sit behind the kit for a week or two. It's smart, healthy, and important to put life first.
Well that's one great advice for life!! Plus I believe that any part of life
inspires the other parts, and growing in many aspects of life is kind of a
multiplicator, instead of "just" growing in the art form of drumming and
letting everything else wither away.

With that being said, it's not always that easy....!!
Old 09-10-2018, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member

Oh: no it's not silly at all! Hitting things may be silly per se, but we've come
a long way making this silly thing quite sophisticated, haven't we?
Old 09-10-2018, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member

Well, are we? Ultimately we blow into things. Playing the trumpet is just such a childish act in itself, that sometimes while playing I can't help but think that there is something better I could be doing with my time, like blowing my nose instead.

All of the investment we have made to become trumpeters, both personally and financially, just to blow into stufff with our pie hole. The more I think about it, the more absurd it seems.

Will I stop? No. Do I find personal enjoyment in blowing into things? Absolutely. Will I find god or the meaning of life doing it? Probably never. Is it worth more to me than what it actually is, yes and no.

So again I ask, are we just being silly? All of this fussing just to blow into stuff.

A funnel from the dollar store should be good enough, right?

Well, are we. Ultimately we splash paint on overpriced canvas........................

On a more serious note.

You can say this about any activity or artform.

I'm very much a minimalist and I don't hoard gear. I don't see having quality stuff and caring about how I sound as being in conflict with that. Quite the contrary. These things are my work and my true passion.

I apply this to the few other hobbies I have. Not too much, nothing I don't need, but the absolutely best I can afford that's worth repairing, selling or passing on.

Now, if you truly feel this way you're free to quit. More gigs for me then. :-)
Old 09-10-2018, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
but we've come
a long way making this silly thing quite sophisticated, haven't we?
I think so.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:52 PM
Silver Member

People give me money, venues give me free drinks and food, people come to see my shows, I'm meeting people and having a wonderful time. I'd be silly not to do it.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

I view drumming as one of the finest examples of mastery.

Nothing silly about it at all.

The only thing silly, is thinking it's silly.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:06 PM

Somehow this thread reminds me a little bit of the "Needless debate over drum construction...." thread.

Ymmv.

T.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

We are not being any more silly than people putting a ball through a hoop with a net on it.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Four View Post
Somehow this thread reminds me a little bit of the "Needless debate over drum construction...." thread.

Ymmv.

T.
That's not what I intended at all. I was sitting there playing, feeling uninspired, just going through the motions. I started to think about things I needed to do vs what I was doing at the moment. I made the decision to keep going through the motions, even though it felt silly to do so, since I was just basically hitting stuff with sticks.

I make no money drumming. I stopped gigging in 2002. I don't jam with my friends due to location and work discrepancies. I just do this for me.

As for the other things I could be doing, since someone brought it up, I am 3 years into a whole house remodel, with at least another 3 to go. I have more storage to build for my wife's ever expanding movie collection. I have a dead car that runs but needs an electrical issue sorted. I have plenty of other more productive things to do.

But I suppose I am the only one who ever felt like this.

And Odd, I never once mentioned the word quit. Where you got that from I have no idea. This is a really long swim for you to take gigs I don't have.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's not what I intended at all. I was sitting there playing, feeling uninspired, just going through the motions. I started to think about things I needed to do vs what I was doing at the moment. I made the decision to keep going through the motions, even though it felt silly to do so, since I was just basically hitting stuff with sticks.

I make no money drumming. I stopped gigging in 2002. I don't jam with my friends due to location and work discrepancies. I just do this for me.

As for the other things I could be doing, since someone brought it up, I am 3 years into a whole house remodel, with at least another 3 to go. I have more storage to build for my wife's ever expanding movie collection. I have a dead car that runs but needs an electrical issue sorted. I have plenty of other more productive things to do.

And Odd, I never once mentioned the word quit. Where you got that from I have no idea. This is a really long swim for you to take gigs I don't have.
No you're in good company. I often wonder how much of what this "naked ape", another mammal, conjures up and does is just silly bullshit and just our own delusions-and harms other species at the cost of our delusions. But then think so what-just the way things evolved.
Wow year 3 of 6-I love you dude-you apparently can procrastinate and drag out a job like I can-it's a master skill-and it assures the job is done correctly-where fools fear to tread and all. Nothing wrong with being silly even if it all is. I'm sort of semi-retired-I'm not working now since we moved-and was only working adjunct part-time jobs before. I am that point that money doesn't do it for me either-I am wondering why am I here? Even when I've worked hard to do something I thought would make a difference-the only endeavor that I see really make a difference has been in my family. My wife is in hospice-what an honor helping people with terminal illness to live longer and then, in time, die in comfort and dignity. I envy that kind of impact on people lives. I enjoyed education too-but really few I think appreciate it (I was probably a huge pain in the ass)-some did which is super great. I remember at puberty (actually I was 11 to be exact) going to this movie called "Alfie"-we left clueless. Now after a life of debauchery, then trying to make a difference, to now wondering is there a difference-that movie makes a lot of sense? Then I snap out of that silly crap and thankfully realize how good life is and so what if it doesn't matter. Cheer up it could be worse.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Based on this post, I'd point the finger at the fact that you don't get to play with anyone else. You never get to really apply your work and skills and creativity in the face of other people making music.

I'd go crazy. To me, the drums are entirely dependent on other musicians to be both useful and interesting, to have a role and reason for playing.

Please, seek out a jam that you can drive to at least once or twice per month, and don't be shy. Get up and play!
Old 09-10-2018, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
We are not being any more silly than people putting a ball through a hoop with a net on it.
Good one!!
Old 09-10-2018, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

To some, yes...to others, no.

Neither idea has validity except to the individual.(read some Kierkegaard or other existentialist writers if you really wanna get at it).

Besides, the most life changing event can be considered silly(slipping on a banana that causes major injury) but that does not change the aspects of getting hurt....so 'silly' might not really convey what the OP was trying to get at.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:32 PM
"Uncle Larry"

If music is silly, like Martin said, so is sports, racing, riding a bike, and just about anything else that doesn't have to do with survival and taking care of your children. Music is a great bond between adults and children, so you could say it is necessary or at least recommended. And for brain development, what tops it? Also, let's not underestimate the joy in playing, especially on stage! Group entrainment is pretty heady stuff and guess who swings the biggest bat when it comes to group entrainment? We do.

I don't know how true this is but I read somewhere that organized music is one of the few things that separate humans from every other mammal. So if we don't hit things with sticks...boom. One day we'll all wake up as chimpanzees :)

This thread is all about second guessing ourselves. It's happening, it's taking place, so it must be meant to be that way. Let's just roll with it. Playing music with others, for others, is pretty much the exact opposite of almost every other thing we encounter. In it's purest form, music is not competitive by nature. The rest of the world can be described as mostly competitive IMO. Which is to say music helps keep the balance, again necessary. Don't take the creative process for granted either. It really is a special ability that has real worth and is worth cultivating if you have it. Anything creative, not just music.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:19 PM

I'm not a pro and play purely because I like it. That's enough for me. Sure, there are arguably more productive uses of time, but I don't want to live a life in which everything I do needs to be productive or meaningful. As long as you're not completely blowing off serious responsibilities, wasting time is good for the soul!

We don't know each other but it sounds like it might be time for a break to get some perspective and rediscover the joy of playing for its own sake.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Also, being silly is not a bad thing.