DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 08-13-2017, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

Default Farmer 20x8 Kick Drum Review

I am happy to tell everyone about my new Farmer 20x8 kick drum:

They use Keller shells, and they take time to sand and finish bearing edges. And they talk about that on their web site. When a drum maker promotes the work they do to finish bearing edges, I know they know about drums. They're not just buying shells/drilling holes/attaching hardware/ship. Another thing I noticed is on the hoops they also finish and round the outer edges, too. The product is just very well finished with attention to details.

Farmer also finishes the inside of shells.

Farmer uses very good (IMHO) lugs and hardware.

They only uses Aquarian heads. Their beater head options are good, but I do wish they had Remo options.I replaced their reso with a Remo.

They pre-install rubber hoop protectors top and bottom to avoid damage from kick pedal.

They use leather gaskets under their lugs.That is a nice touch Again - that attention to detail.

Hoops are glossy and sanded. Kick shell has a deep multi-layer finish that really shines!

My Farmer 20x8 tunes up well. I have it tuned pretty high and tight. Great sound very musical. I have gone into many stores and tried to tune up smallish 18" kicks on standard "cocktail" size kits from the likes of Gretsch and Ludwig and they all sound like cardboard. The Farmer sounds much better. It is a great sounding kick for blues and jazz. It would sound good for funk, too. Not so much rock.

If you're in the market for a small lite musical kick drum, I highly recommend Farmer. And they're very nice people: the owners or else folks in shop answer the phone. Very personable: the folks answering the phone are same folks drilling the shells and staining them and assembling them and shipping them.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rattlin' Bones; 08-13-2017 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-13-2017, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Farmer 20x8 Kick Drum Review

Look like Trick Aluminum lugs. Single post isn't my favorite, but on a Bass drum it may not cause any issues. On a snare, fugget-about-it. Glad you were able to get rig of the other drum. That one was just planned wrong.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

I didn't get rid of it. The other drum maker sent me gaskets. They are too thin to help. It's now a project drum for my 8 year old grandson. I'll add an inexpensive snare and cymbal and that can be his starter kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
Look like Trick Aluminum lugs. Single post isn't my favorite, but on a Bass drum it may not cause any issues. On a snare, fugget-about-it. Glad you were able to get rig of the other drum. That one was just planned wrong.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

They make some pretty neat stuff.
This guy's all ready for the camp fire:

https://www.footdrums.com/backpack-kits/
Old 08-13-2017, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quite impressed by this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEQkJ-7VvxQ
Old 08-13-2017, 11:48 PM
Silver Member

Not is much. The ringing is unbearable to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
Old 08-14-2017, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

For some things sure. Easy fix.

Before they stopped production of the Club Customs I was considering a 10, 14, 20 with wood hoops. Something like this might actually fit the bill very nicely for my intended purpose with various brushes and things for acoustic and various low volume settings.

Throw in that ultralight hardware and I could take it on a bus.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

I'm actually intrigued enough to consider skimming a bit off the top of the USA Custom savings account and get this kit.

Super useful.

Super portable.

The snare alone might be worth the money to me.

This can be used in full or in part with other small percussion items. Chaffee type pandeiro kit and so on.

Would love to be able to try it out first, though.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

Man this reminds me of the Pearl Rhythm traveler except their shallow toms have little sustain and a short note. Those toms in video have tons of tone and sustain-hmmm is it the wood hoops on this one??
Old 08-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

It is because they are mic'd from below.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:

That must be tricky in Norway, as it would be in Hawaii. Do you fly to London or somewhere similar to peruse big drum shops, or take a chance based on videos etc?
Old 08-16-2017, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarak View Post
That must be tricky in Norway, as it would be in Hawaii. Do you fly to London or somewhere similar to peruse big drum shops, or take a chance based on videos etc?
Most stores in Norway are part of the chain 4Sound, which is far from the size of the Sam Ash that was in Clearwater, FL when I lived there, but they can get most stuff. As for in stock, Catalina, Renown, Stage Custom, Live Custom, on occasion Absolute Hybrid and a few more things. No huge cymbal rooms or complete series usually. Just what's currently en vogue.

There's cool stuff all around the world. There's stuff made in Norway, too. This just seemed like something useful and that vid is really all I've found. I guess the question is what it does unmiced or through just a pair of overheads. Would certainly put mics underneath for that sound, but would be nice to know exactly what they could do.

For unusual stuff I think most gigging musicians pick up stuff here and there when they travel. For traditional stuff it's usually from the original place, not some big name brand version.

I did get a couple of snares based on concert vids with Vinnie. My Sol USA Pro cajon from a video review and I guess my Stanton Moore pandeiro because of Stanton and Chaffee. That older 6x14 Gretsch hammered brass snare is pretty impossible to find, so I don't know where I'd try one. I usually know what I'm getting.

It's not really just hard to find. Things show up late here, too. The DW cajon pedal I'm looking into now was released a while ago, but only available in Europe very recently ordered through online retailer Thomann. I tried ordering from the US when they came out, but it's one of those "we can't ship it to your location" type of items.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
Not is much. The ringing is unbearable to me.
Put up a curtain or blinds..
Old 09-09-2018, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

I'm gonna bump this today.

Not buying anything today, but I am very interested in something like the Sojourner kit for small gig bank to choose from.

I'd be interested to hear more about anyone's experience with these.

Though the close micing in their video might be a cool option sometimes, I'd like to hear something more based on OHs or room mics.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:41 PM

Greetings fellow Norwegian! I’m also looking at the nesting kit for a super small portable, percussive-ish setup. Have you bought anything yet?
Old 10-16-2018, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm actually intrigued enough to consider skimming a bit off the top of the USA Custom savings account and get this kit.

Super useful.

Super portable.

The snare alone might be worth the money to me.

This can be used in full or in part with other small percussion items. Chaffee type pandeiro kit and so on.

I bought a Pearl Rhythm traveler POD-a similar idea small 8.10,12 in toms and 12 in snare. I made this video a numbers years back-recording out front with a Zoom Q2HD. You can hear it barks, not very loud, not really a lovely tone. I liked the smaller snare but the toms were always lacking. The Farmer Sojourner sounds awesome on recording but would like to hear one recorded like mine-but I'd bet it sounds better than this kit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg9yDd6moC8
Old 10-16-2018, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnohod View Post
Greetings fellow Norwegian! I’m also looking at the nesting kit for a super small portable, percussive-ish setup. Have you bought anything yet?
No. Not yet. Due to economy I'm a little bit behind on stuff in general. Don't know my general priorities at this point, if I'm going to school, if I have work or get a settlement. Also getting some lessons with Gary Chaffee now etc.. Probably won't buy anything major until summer, though I might pick up a 12/14/18 Renown soon as that's what I need the most.