Are Aquarian Satin Finish and Texture Coated the same?

mrmike

Silver Member
The Satin finish says made in the USA. I am thinking that the ones that say texture coated are the same head but no longer made in the USA. FWIW the Satin Finish on my 90's Radio King snare is the best sounding snare I have ever played. Tunes up or down, never chokes and always has balls.

I believe Aquarian heads are now being made in Mexico (all of them) and as far as I can tell, they sound exactly the same. They have a new coating now, but I'm sure you can find some NOS Aquarian heads if you really want to. But otherwise, yes, they're the same head.

All Aquarian heads are now manufactured in Mexico and Aquarian called their series "Satin Finish coated" because Satin Finish is an Aquarian coating recipe trademark. Satin Finish is also use on Response II & Super 2 Coated heads.

I personally prefer the new Z-100 coating which is now on texture coated. The coating is thinner and lighter, feel more responsive while still being as tough as they're known for.

From the Aquarian website:

Aquarian Website said:
Texture Coated with Power Dot™: A coated, single ply, medium weight drumhead that features Aquarian’s durable Satin Finish™ texture coating. The Power Dot™ is adhered to the underneath side of the head. This is one of the best all around snare drumheads ever designed. Full sound, sensitivity and durability make it suitable for a wide variety of musical styles.

Believe the stuff they say about that. Aquarian are right, it is one of the best all-round snare drumheads every designed. On the Power Dot, it claps like thunder, but if you bring it to the outside of the head, it rings like a bell. It's the best head I've ever used, hands-down. Nothing even comes to close to its awesomeness =D

Back