Snare-side hoop - on top

bollam92

Hello,
It may sound stupid, but does it have any difference in sound compared to a batter-side hoop? I don't really care about the look.
Thanks

Probably not. I wouldn't lay my rimshots on the spot where the wires would normally pass through, but other than that, if that's what you've got, then use it.

Just out of curiosity, what are doing for a snare-side hoop?

I've been looking for an S-Hoop since ages, and today I finally found one (with the right number of lugs), the problem is that it's a snare-side hoop. But if the sound won't change I will buy it then.

I don't get why you're wanting to put a snare-side S Hoop on top when you can just buy a batter-side S Hoop. There is no snare-side configuration that they don't make a batter-side for.

I bought S-Hoops for one of my snares. 14" 10-hole top and bottom.

http://www.bigbangdist.com/pdfs/10micholder.pdf

Well I wan't to buy it for a 13" snare. Couldn't find a site where they offer a 13" batter-side hoop with 8 lugs.
Also I'm not from the USA, I can only buy one because one of my relatives go to Los Angeles for a few days.
But if you know a place where I can buy one (or to order from), then thanks.

Edit: I only found snare-side hoop because the batter-side is out of stock/backordered.

That is all that you need. If you want cast hoops there are sites that sell them. Cast cost a lot more than stamped. Stamped hoops work fine. If it gets dented after a few years, for a modest price you can but another.
Cast hoop, http://accessories.musiciansfriend....90649&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=382168061
Batter side http://www.justplaymusic.com/product.php?productid=3962
Well, I agree, they are more than enough in most of the cases, but for one of my snares I want to buy S-Hoop.

I edited the post, Sorry about that!

Np, I thought you linked in some 2.3mm hoops or something, but even if they are die-cast hoops, I still would like to buy that S-Hoop. So on topic, anyone knows if they make the sound worse, just because using a snare-side hoop on the batter-side?

The S Hoop is no better than a standard stamped hoop. I have tried them. I would buy a cast hoop before I would buy an S hoop. The heavy cast hoop is still the best! IMHO
I was going by your OP that stated that you didn't care what the hoop looked like.

The S Hoop is no better than a standard stamped hoop. I have tried them. I would buy a cast hoop before I would buy an S hoop. The heavy cast hoop is still the best! IMHO
I was going by your OP that stated that you didn't care what the hoop looked like.

Well even if they are nearly the same, I would choose the S-Hoop because of the prize. At least, where I found it, offers it for kinda "free" compared to the other.

If you have a standard stamped hoop on your snare now, I would just keep that. If you want to improve your snare I would step up to cast hoops.
I have snares with cast hoops that are over 30 years old. The hoops look new. Cast hoops make a big difference in the sound of your drums.
I can't see any advantage in the S hoop over standard stamped hoops. There is no noticeable sound difference like there is with cast hoops.
The S hoop is a gimmick as far as I am concerned.
I watched Pat P's vids on you tube and I tried the S hoops. That is my evaluation of them.
Sorry Pat! I love you man, But I just don't get this one!

Last edited:
Hey there Bob - I dunno, when it occurred to me that stock Ludwig 1.6s were too wimpy for my taste, I tried die cast on my Supra and didn't like them - rimshots were too harsh.

I decided that I wanted 2.3s but couldn't decide between standard or S-Hoop, so I flipped a coin and it came up S-Hoop. I agree that they aren't hugely different than standard 2.3s for sound, if at all, but they do feel different. I think they are stiffer and they're noticeably less harsh on the hands when hitting rimshots.

I don't care that they hold deadening rings in place (I'm sure they do) but who uses those anymore? And I don't do much cross-sticking either, so that isn't a selling point. The biggest drawback to using them is that they don't give you anything to grab onto when carry the drum with one hand. I've almost dropped my snare countless times by now. One of those little features of a standard hoop you don't notice until it ain't there anymore!

Do you have them on a snare?

Hey there Bob - I dunno, when it occurred to me that stock Ludwig 1.6s were too wimpy for my taste, I tried die cast on my Supra and didn't like them - rimshots were too harsh.

I decided that I wanted 2.3s but couldn't decide between standard or S-Hoop, so I flipped a coin and it came up S-Hoop. I agree that they aren't hugely different than standard 2.3s for sound, if at all, but they do feel different. I think they are stiffer and they're noticeably less harsh on the hands when hitting rimshots.

I don't care that they hold deadening rings in place (I'm sure they do) but who uses those anymore? And I don't do much cross-sticking either, so that isn't a selling point.

Do you have them on a snare?
No Mike, I never bought them. I tried them out in a store. I spent several hours with them on several different 14 inch snare drums.
I couldn't see the advantage of them. I came home to my old friends, cast hoops with their solid sounds. I play snares with stamped hoops as well for color. I have several 13 inch snares that I use and like with stamped hoops. If I want definition and timeless sound, I use good old cast hoops.

No Mike, I never bought them. I tried them out in a store. I spent several hours with them on several different 14 inch snare drums.
I couldn't see the advantage of them. I came home to my old friends, cast hoops with their solid sounds. I play snares with stamped hoops as well for color. I have several 13 inch snares that I use and like with stamped hoops. If I want definition and timeless sound, I use good old cast hoops.
Is that with metal or wood snares, or both, that you prefer die cast?

I had die cast on my old steel Tama Imperialstar (Beast!) and liked them okay, but my Supra just kinda lost that Ludwigness with the die cast, so I don't know.

Is that with metal or wood snares, or both, that you prefer die cast?

I had die cast on my old steel Tama Imperialstar (Beast!) and liked them okay, but my Supra just kinda lost that Ludwigness with the die cast, so I don't know.
I tried the S hoops on several different snare drums of different compositions.
I tried the S Hoop on a Warlord. I liked cast better on that snare. I tried them on a steel ludwig, I can't remember which model and my opinion was no different. I tried the S Hoop on a Pearl Maple also.
I guess that I may be old school! I use stamped hoops on my cheap practice snares. I save the cast hoops for my high end Gretsch Steel and maple snares.
I saw no advantage to the S Hoop. The S Hoop wasn't better than a stamped hoop on any snare that I tried it on.

I don't dislike stamped hoops. I use them! I just can't see the merit of the S Hoop as an improvement.

Back