28" bass drum heads

F

Fishgopop007

Now usually when buying drums I'm quite down to earth about what I buy. I bought Zildjian K's because I love the sound and they're a reputable cymbal range. I bought a Mapex M-Birch again because of the reputation and quality of the instrument.

I've now bought a 1960/70's 28x14" bass drum...Admittedly it needs some work to make it look fresh again, but it has all the tension rods/bass drum claws etc and therefore all it needs to be a functioning drum again are a hoop and some heads. For £25 I didn't feel I could pass up!

My question to you fine folks, is what heads would you be tempted to use on a 28" bass drum? Obviously I could go the boomy route, or I could go for the slightly muffled route. I'm pretty certain I want a Fiberskyn ambassador on the reso side, but any suggestions will be appreciated :)

Many thanks,
George.

Another 28" bass drum? hehe.... I'm quite please about that!!!!

Hey George, congrats on your purchases :)

One of our member, The Scorpio, has carried out a refurbishing project on a 28" bass drum, perhaps you could ask him some advices either by PM or leaving a message on his visitor's page?

Profile link: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/member.php?u=43099

It's not a high end one or a Gretsch before anyone gets too excited! It's a Premier New Era bass drum, so their low end at the time? It was a bargain, I'm looking forward to taking on a small restoration project in my days off and also I'm interested in what sort of sound/feel I'll be able to get from it :)

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out for sure! :)

George.

Your gonna use a Fiberskyn head for reso., I'd probably run a Powerstroke 3 batter. That's the way I have my 26x16 set up, and I really like its sound.​

Your gonna use a Fiberskyn head for reso., I'd probably run a Powerstroke 3 batter. That's the way I have my 26x16 set up, and I really like its sound.​
I agree. I am putting a smooth white PS3 batter on my old Leedy 28" bass drum, when ever the head comes in. :( I have a Fiberskin on it for the reso. I must be the only one that has ever ordered a smooth white 28" PS3. It is taking forever.

A white PS3 batter was what I was thinking for the batter so I'm glad that all our ideas match up!

Sticks you're gunna have one hell of a drum there! :)

George.

Did you not see the pic's?

IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

IMG_3188.jpg

This last pic really bothers some folks. Sorry.

IMG_3194.jpg

Here is a picture of a kit that got a custom bass head graphic done by a member of my site.

1520.jpg

Mmmmm... Sticks are you going to invite me for coffee one these days? hehe...;-))
You are always welcome brother. Anytime you are this way. :)
P.S. Make sure you bring KIS and MFB with you. Should be a fun time. :)

For when a coffee table just isn't manly enough! :) Thats a killer head! I'm tempted to try and remove the remo logo that will come on mine to keep it as a blank Fiberskyn.

For when a coffee table just isn't manly enough! :) Thats a killer head! I'm tempted to try and remove the remo logo that will come on mine to keep it as a blank Fiberskyn.
I am going to have my buddy from Quebec make me a Leedy emblem for it.

I guess a premier logo could look cool on it one day, maybe when I'm slightly more financially stable!

The durability is something I've always wanted to try out with Fiberskyns. Stanton Moore says that they just last. Now I've seen Stanton in a clinic, and with the way he hits them if they last for him, then they can last for anyone! :)

George.

It crazy you guys brought this up I've been contemplating on ordering me a 14 x 28 Ludwig concert bd cherry finish the shell is 9ply birch/maple which should be warn & punchy(best of both worlds..lol) & match it with a classic maple 18x16 ft & 14x10 tt all cherry finish & long lugs on the ft & tt to match the concert bd but if I can get big lugs instead of long on the bd I'd rather do that but if not oh well. just get me some spurs & i'm ready to go..lol

any thoughts would be appreciated by the fine dw forum..lmao

I think the ps3(batter), fs(reso) would be a sweet combo for sure probably a ambassador weight fs I would presume.

keep swattin'
Bonzolead

Last edited:
Seriously, someone needs to create an exclusive club for 28" bass owners! ;)

I'm pretty set on sorting out a Coated PS3 on the batter, and an Ambassador weight Fiberskyn on the resonant for mine when I've found a second hoop for it.

You are always welcome brother. Anytime you are this way. :)
P.S. Make sure you bring KIS and MFB with you. Should be a fun time. :)

We should try to plan it in the summer, we could have a round the table discussion with some memorable laughs on that rock riser of yours, I'm sure Andy would like it. ;-))

We should try to plan it in the summer, we could have a round the table discussion with some memorable laughs on that rock riser of yours, I'm sure Andy would like it. ;-))
Instead of a cage match, it could be the "ROCK PILE MATCH" :)

Back