Help out with a survey for a project?

Hello all, and thanks in advance for checking out the thread. I apologize in advance if I have placed this thread in the wrong area. Anyways, I'm a high school senior and I am currently doing a project for my AP Statistics class. I have to find a small set (20-25 responses) of quantitative data for a project where I display the data with different graphs, verbal explanations, etc... I figured the community here is always helpful drum-wise, so hopefully you all can help me with my school work too :)

My survey question is:
How long have you been playing drum set?

To clarify what I mean by how long, consider your starting point whenever you very first started to learn/play drum set, not just when you began considering yourself a drum set player. The length of time you have been playing drum set does not have to be extremely specific; the nearest year is fine :)

Thank you all so much!

Sam

A little less than one year (does that count? For anything?.)

Edit: I am 36 years old by the way. Starting later then a few here apparently.

Last edited:
Thirty-five years for me. Hope you get plenty of responses!

6 years, I feel pretty lame compared to all of you working on 40 and 50....

I've been playing since 1959 when I was in the 6th grade, so 52 years (wow, that's a long time).

I've been playing for about fifty one years now. My dad started teaching me when I was eight.

Dennis

25 years, when you take out the breaks.

I understand what Todd's saying. At the moment I play once a week for a few hours and practice for a few hours. Early on I went through a phase where I was playing almost constantly - if I wasn't on the kit I'd be tapping a pad. I've also had periods where I didn't practice at all and only fronted to band practice and gigs.

There are trained kids who've been going for just a few years doing polyrhthyms and fills I couldn't play to save my life!

There are trained kids who've been going for just a few years doing polyrhthyms and fills I couldn't play to save my life!
Tell me about it :( I wonder how good I would be if I spent all my 42 years of playing with a major focus.

It depends. I started as a kid; got my first kit around age 8 and played for about six years. I never got anywhere though, and I stopped playing around age 14. I picked up the sticks again about ten years ago (I'm 31 now), and this time I really got into it.

So either 10 or 16 years, depending on your definition.

13 of the best months of my life.

Mid 40s midlife crisis idea was one of the best decisions I ever made. Now I gotta have like every vintage drum out there and am going broke. Otherwise...having fun.

Envious of you veterans out there :)

42 years. I played snare drum in band at school two years before that. Peace and goodwill.

Back