How do you feel about Modern Drummer's Online Mag?

I subscribed to MD Online when my paper subscription ran out, mainly b/c I'm tired of trying to keep track of the magazines and hauling them around with me.

There are lots of magazines going the online route. So I was surprised when I connected to my 'online issue' and wasn't able to download a PDF copy. It looks like the only way to read MD Online is to have an Internet connection, or to print all the pages on your printer, or go through the tedious process of saving screenshots of the pages.

I'm a little disappointed in this. Thought I'd see how others feel about the service.

I subscribed to MD Online when my paper subscription ran out, mainly b/c I'm tired of trying to keep track of the magazines and hauling them around with me.

There are lots of magazines going the online route. So I was surprised when I connected to my 'online issue' and wasn't able to download a PDF copy. It looks like the only way to read MD Online is to have an Internet connection, or to print all the pages on your printer, or go through the tedious process of saving screenshots of the pages.

I'm a little disappointed in this. Thought I'd see how others feel about the service.

I know nothing about online subscriptions to magazines, but this makes sense to me. I would assume that if you were buying an online copy, it would be to read online, and if you wanted a hard copy, you would subscribe to the hard copy. Again, I haven't done anything with online magazines at all, so I may be way off base, but it kind of makes sense to me.

That does seem pretty silly to me.
I guess it depends on what the price difference is? A lot of the price of hard copy is going to be printing those glossy pages, and then mailing them out (to Australia in my case).

It seems they would be saving a fair bit of money on going the online route. But to not allow you to download? I spose that's a security measure, to stop the magazine being leaked on torrents and what not.

well if they let you download the pdf's what would stop you from circulating them around the internet? i understand why they do that alright. Its still a pain though.

Actually there is a little down arrow button on the right hand side that gives you the option of downloading a PDF copy. In the archived issues the PDF link is at the top on the right hand side.

Hope this helps.

I'm, all for them doing anything and everything which protects their copyright. With so much stuff getting stolen (shared?) these days it's amazing that anybody can make a profit on any sort of art form.

And please don't read into that that I suspect you were up to no good, I'm just all for protecting against those who are.

As a former print quality rep. that used to print mags and lost his job, had to change careers due to "on line circulars and mags" I think it sucks...but hey my opinion may be a little biased here..

Back