Current drumming sucks

JJKK

My feet and hands are off, practice feels like a chore and generally I'd like to just take a break that's probably too long.

WTF is going on...?

My feet and hands are off, practice feels like a chore and generally I'd like to just take a break that's probably too long.

WTF is going on...?

Often these things go hand in hand. When we feel our playing is not happening it also takes our enthusiasm away from practise, gigs and even music in general. Conversely, when we feel our playing is on point, we feel revitalised and drumming is a joy again. I go through this all the time. I'll have a good day's practise followed by a good gig and all is right with the world, and music is really enjoyable. I'll have days when it's not happening and I feel miserable and unenthused. However, I always stick with the practise, analyse possible reasons for things not feeling right and try and sort them out.

Don't give up. Smooth, even, well executed playing takes time and persistence. Slow everything right down, visually observe your limbs, always practise with a metronome.

You'll get there!

Maybe you need a break. Or maybe just do something differently, study another style of drumming for awhile.

Slow down until hands and feet are synchronized and then add speed or take a break. No law against taking a break.

JJKK
Your young son calls you on the phone. He is trying to learn how to throw a baseball. He says to you, " Dad, my feet and hands are off, practice feels like a chore and generally I'd like to just take a break that's probably too long.
WTF is going on...?"

After you tell him not to use that kind of language, what would you say to him?

Last edited:
When I get that "rut" going I have two things I do to get back in the "swing".

1) I crank the stereo in my studio with slow music. "Cruisin"" by Smokey Robinson, "Up where We Belong" Joe Cocker/Jennifer Warnes, "I Don't Want To Miss a Thing" Arrowsmith, stuff like that. Reason: I find it takes more concentration to play slow than fast.
2) I crank the stereo and play old Beatles and BeachBoys songs for the pure simplicity and no frills.

About half an hour to 45 minutes later I'm refreshed and ready to tackle Keith Moon.

PS....3 new snares

Early 60s Premier HiFi COB
1972 Premier HiFi brushed COA (very rare 6.5")
Early 70s Premier HiFi WMP

Attachments

• Premier HiFi WMP 1.jpg
    Premier HiFi WMP 1.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 613
  • Premier HiFi 1.jpg
    Premier HiFi 1.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 606
  • Premier 60s COB HiFi.jpg
    Premier 60s COB HiFi.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 616
I only ever practice when I enjoy it. I play drums because I love it, I never turn it into a chore that "Has" to be done. If I don't feel the love I don't play. I get more out of one session when I am 100% up for it than 10 sessions I am forcing myself to do. Take a break, and go back to it when you miss it and want to play. You are supposed to enjoy it.

My drumming always sucks, but sometimes it's pretty groovin'. My side stick sound is pretty nice, too.

Sometimes we just need a break.

Sometimes it might even be good to play aside everything we know or think we should know and start a new adventure. Pick a style you don't know anything about and just slowly get into it. Instead of resorting to your old stuff at the end of practice call a friend and have a beer.

WTF is going on...?

Sound like some of the pro's winning.

No ones comfortable with their playing, and if they are, its only till the next gig, when they thought they had everything set up right, they felt really great, but they couldn't do shite, the whole night felt off.

You are in just the right spot-all you can do is improve. Besides if you didn't believe your "current drumming sucks" then you would believe it was "good or even great" and fall into the Catch 22 that your current drumming (doesn't need improvement) really would suck-cause anyone that feels that way feels no need to improve so eventually would fall into decay and suck. So as long as you "think you suck" you never can really-cause you are always inspired strongly not to suck-or why would you care and bother. Makes sense? Works for me. Cause I suck ;)

If it ain't fun, it ain't on!

Find a song that you like that incorporates whatever it is that you are struggling with. Learn to play the song, even if you have to simplify the drum part at first.

That way you will hopefully have an enjoyable reason to conquer your current roadblock...and get you on your way to the next one.

I only ever practice when I enjoy it. I play drums because I love it, I never turn it into a chore that "Has" to be done. If I don't feel the love I don't play. I get more out of one session when I am 100% up for it than 10 sessions I am forcing myself to do. Take a break, and go back to it when you miss it and want to play. You are supposed to enjoy it.

Same for me. I don't do it for the money, and it is not my career. It's for enjoyment. If I'm not feeling it, I don't play.

Improving is way more fun than not improving-- and being realistic, you don't improve by not playing the drums. You actually have to play every day whether you feel like it or not. You're setting aside a momentary feeling of not wanting to sit down to practice in favor of a larger goal of being able to play, and having more fun in the long term.

If you've been practicing, and just haven't been seeing results, maybe you need to learn more efficient practice methods. There's a lot of bad, unnecessarily tedious practice advice floating around online. Find a local teacher who knows how to play-- not a Metal guy-- and get some lessons.

The advise to slow down is the best one IMO.

At times I get frustrated and just want to stack the kit in the corner and be done with it for a while.
Then I strip the kit down to the 4 piece basic & work on fundamentals. When I start to get better, my desire to "get to work" is refreshed & I'm back at it.

Then it stays a 4 piece for a while until the need for more arises (not very often).

Good luck brother!

Sometimes that's just the way it goes. I've gone through this both as a trumpet player and as a drummer, and there has been no cure other than to take a little bit of time and focus on other things. Typically when this stuff happens it's also at a point in my life where there are other stresses that are distracting me.

Don't sweat it. The more you sweat it, the worse it will get, but do take a breather if you can manage it away from a practice and gig schedule.

Back