Andy Newmark

jmdupx

Can anyone answer a question I've pondered for some time - is Andy Newmark, formerly of Sly & Family Stone, one and the same as the Andy Newark (no 'M') billed as drummer on Bowie's "Young Americans", and John Martyn's "One World", amongst other LPs from around that period? The style and technique certainly makes it feasible IMO, but I've struggled in vain to get any hard info on the subject

If they're two different people, what are they both doing now?

Can anyone answer a question I've pondered for some time - is Andy Newmark, formerly of Sly & Family Stone, one and the same as the Andy Newark (no 'M') billed as drummer on Bowie's "Young Americans", and John Martyn's "One World", amongst other LPs from around that period? The style and technique certainly makes it feasible IMO, but I've struggled in vain to get any hard info on the subject

If they're two different people, what are they both doing now?

Never heard of "Andy Newark" but Andy Newmark was indeed the drumme for Sly and Bowie. He played on the "Young Americans" album with the exception of "Fame" and "Across the Universe" which was played by longtime Bowie drummer Dennis Davis.

Andy Newmark is a great drummer and can be heard on many classic recordings including John lennon's "Double Fantasy" and Gary Wright's "Dream Weaver." He's played with Clapton and many other legends as well.

I think he lives in England currently and is still going strong.

Great info Muckster. I suppose the stick-work those albums alone should have settled it, but thanks for putting that one to rest for me finally.

It still seems odd that the same typo managed to work its way onto so many of the sleeves - I just hope Andy didn't get cheated on any royalties as a result.

Andy is one of my fav drummers. He features on Roxy Musics 'The High Road' concert video from about 1983 and a Bryan Ferry concert video of mine from the early 90's. Tons of groove. He played with Bryan Ferry for many many years after Paul Thompson left.

The High Road concert is fantastic! Some great playing on there, including a cover of Neil Youngs 'Like a Hurricane' with some great drumming and a rippa guitar solo by Phil Manzanerra.

I read a Zack Starkey interview one time in which he recalled taking a lesson from Bill Bruford. Bruford put on Sly and The Family Stone's "Fresh" album featuring Andy Newmark and told Zack that it was a perfect example of "tasteful playing" or something to that effect.

Andy has always been on the top of my lists every since I saw him with Roxy Music in '83 on The High Road Tour.

Everything he does is for the song, the whole of the music.

Great player.

TOMANO

Andy Newmark - Update

Hey everyone,

Earlier this year I said I would be meeting Andy Newmark. Andy is a Yamaha, Zildjian, Remo and Vic Firth endorsee. He currently plays for (and numerous times in the past) Bryan Ferry (solo and from Roxy Music). He has played with BB King, Carly Simon and Sly & The Family Stone as well as John Lennon and Yoko Ono.

Well, about 3 weeks ago (November 19-21) Andy was in my town (Adelaide, Australia) on Bryan Ferry's world tour. My mum met him when she was working for MGM/UA here in Australia and was over in LA when he was playing with Bryan Ferry. Mum and her mates were at the bar and somehow started talking to the band. Andy gave her tickets to the gig and kept in contact with her for a few years. After many years of changing addresses, they lost contact until this year when we saw Bryan Ferry play on David Letterman. Mum remembered that she knew his drummer and I looked him up here on DW. Luckily Andy has his email on the site and we emailed him. The next day he replied, he remembered mum and wanted to catch up with both of us when he was in Adelaide.

So he came with Bryan Ferry. Mum and I took him, a guitar player, a violin/back vocals/keyboard payer and a backing singer out to the best Italian restaurant in town (Andy loves Italian). We also went to the gig the next day and hung out with the band after their gig at the hotel. I got Andy to sign my bottom snare head, so now my main snare is without a bottom head!

Here are the pics!
DSC01608.jpg

From R to L: Leo Abrahams (Guitar), Andy Newmark, Me (Tom), Mandy (Violin/Keyboard/Backing Vocals), Italian Restaurant guy, my Mum (Libby) and Sarah (Backing Vocals)

DSC01642.jpg

My batter head: "Hey Tom, Great to meet you. Thank you for a beautiful dinner. I hope I can get you tickets for the show tonight. Fingers Crossed! Good luck with the drumming and the lawyer-ing!! Love, Andy Newmark 20 Nov. 2007"

DSC01632.jpg

Andy and I after the gig at the hotel.

DSC01633.jpg

Andy, me and Oliver Thompson. Oliver is lead guitarist and is only 19! 19 and on a world tour? How awesome is that!

DSC01629.jpg

The concert.

Thanks!

Tom

Re: Andy Newmark - Update

Hey everyone,

He is a living legend! He is not only a fantastic and remarkably experienced drummer, he is also a very down to earth and kind hearted man. I have a load of respect for him as a drummer, a person and a mate.

He even helped me with an Economics assignment by setting me up with some guys at Yamaha.

So thanks Andy for giving me the chance to meet you and chat with you!

Tom

PS Bernhard, your welcome to use any of those pics on his DW page.

Hey everyone,

He is a living legend! He is not only a fantastic and remarkably experienced drummer, he is also a very down to earth and kind hearted man. I have a load of respect for him as a drummer, a person and a mate.

He even helped me with an Economics assignment by setting me up with some guys at Yamaha.

So thanks Andy for giving me the chance to meet you and chat with you!

Tom

PS Bernhard, your welcome to use any of those pics on his DW page.

Very cool! I enjoyed reading a two-part interview with him in the last two issues of Drumhead magazine.

Hope all is well in Adelaide--I have friends who live and practice there (ever heard of Dulwich centre, a counselling agency?).

spleen

Great story! Andy Newmark is one of the coolest dudes goin'!

Very cool! I enjoyed reading a two-part interview with him in the last two issues of Drumhead magazine.

Hope all is well in Adelaide--I have friends who live and practice there (ever heard of Dulwich centre, a counselling agency?).

spleen

He told me about that interview.

I live near the suburb of Dulwich, I don't know if the agency your talking about is near there. Tell your friends I live in Glenunga. If they are close to me, they will know of it. Not many people know my suburb, very small!

Tom

Is that 19 year old holding a bottle of wine?

lol... he's kinda hiding it... smart kid

Did he play with David Gilmore too?

I heard David G play a new york gig ( Miller high life concerts on the pier )in the late 80s with a really great drummer... could it have been Andy?

What band did Andy play with back in the 80's that had was on MTV's rotation? They only had a few bands on rotation back then and I can't think of the one with Andy. I remember thinking that guy has groove (and I didn't even know what groove was).

I don't think I've ever seen andy play anything bigger than a 4 piece kit with 2 crashes, a ride and hihat. 24 years since 'The High Road' and he's still using the same kit set up. It's all about the groove!

Back