Best maple kit on the market.

jaysticks

I'm looking for a new high end maple kit, what would you recommend?It has to have great build quality and construction!

You're likely to get lots of different answers,since you basicly just asked,"how long is a piece of string".Also,this will be repeated a few times as....there is no best,there is only,different.

How much do you want to spend,has everything to do with recomendations.Custom vs.mass produced.New vs. used?

How mant pieces? Hardware also? Cymbals also?Cases.Gigging or basement drumset?

Do you want 100% maple or hybrid shells.Ply,stave or steambent?Wrap or lacquer finish?

Music styles?And,did you use the search function,as this question is asked on a daily basis.There are probably thousand of posts,talking about this very same thing.

Steve B

I recommend 80% of the drums that are made today :)
That is what I determine are the best maple kits available.
I am glad that I could narrow it down for you.
Happy kit hunting!

I'm looking for a new high end maple kit, what would you recommend?It has to have great build quality and construction!
If you really like the sound of maple, take a step back, & ask yourself what exactly you like about the sound, then ask yourself what do you want more of, & what do you want less of. In the high end drum world, overall quality of construction is almost a given, but quality + purpose of design are a different matter. Try to be very specific about the sonic qualities you want, because once you get the instrument, you'll certainly be specific about what you like & don't like. Better to do the evaluation up front. If you don't know exactly the features that you want, on what will you base a decision?

Come back here with that detailed evaluation, then you'll get much more targeted replies rather than a list of everyone's personal favourite drum brands. Budget, sizes, & context such as where the kit will be used will help too.

What's your budget? Ply or stave shells? And where are you living? Some brands are not easy to get in a country far away.

Apologies for the lazy generalisation of that question!

I will go into more depth for you. I have experience of owning many factory kits, and one custom kit . In my own experience of factory kits, yamaha and tama are the most bulletproof
and bridge the gap between consistent sounds/build and quality hardware. I have had two Sonor kits that have had a pure tone (delite and sq2), but recently I purchased a prolite that was unacceptable in terms of quality, hardware not chromed right, wood filler on bass drum shell, dinted lugs etc!Pearl drums have good hardware, but sound lifeless and dead to me!Dw have decent sounding shells but awful hardware, lugs look incredibly cheap.I haven't owned more organic, historic kits like Gretsch or Ludwig, not sure of their quality.

I usually prefer medium thickness ply shells as they project a bit more, and the reason I chose maple is I like drums to be versatile with heads, and have warmth and sustain!Birch, Oak, beech tends to be drier IMO!

I usually prefer medium thickness ply shells as they project a bit more, and the reason I chose maple is I like drums to be versatile with heads, and have warmth and sustain!Birch, Oak, beech tends to be drier IMO!
Ash steam bent. More versatile, a longer note, a more balanced tonal profile, & with greater low dynamic tone. Just one option, there are many more. Purpleheart is another inspired choice. Ok, a fixed aesthetic, but absolutely maple on steroids. Your projection, attack, & other requirements can be augmented by bearing edge design, especially bespoke hybrid designs for each drum. A lot depends on your budget, who you trust, & how far outside the box you're prepared to travel.

Good luck :)

From your last post I see that you have already owned most of the kits that are considered to be at the top of the bill.
I think that the only place for you to go is high end custom maple or other woods that are along the lines that Andy suggested.

I will go into more depth for you. I have experience of owning many factory kits, and one custom kit . In my own experience of factory kits, yamaha and tama are the most bulletproof
and bridge the gap between consistent sounds/build and quality hardware. I have had two Sonor kits that have had a pure tone (delite and sq2), but recently I purchased a prolite that was unacceptable in terms of quality, hardware not chromed right, wood filler on bass drum shell, dinted lugs etc!Pearl drums have good hardware, but sound lifeless and dead to me!Dw have decent sounding shells but awful hardware, lugs look incredibly cheap.I haven't owned more organic, historic kits like Gretsch or Ludwig, not sure of their quality.

the two you haven't tried you should look at. Both the Ludwig Classics and the Gretsch USA Custom are great kits. Neither will disappoint.

Ok,but you still didn't mention a buget.If money isn't an issue,then I'd recommend Guru Drums.Very few, if any, can match them for build quality and looks,and as far as sound,they're just in a catagory by themselves.You have to hear them for yourself.I'm sure Andy will give you a fair price.Made for drummers,by drummers,who just happen to be crazy good at understanding sound characteristics,materials and building world class drums.If you want the best on the market,if that even exists,then Guru is it.

Forum member Larryace has a kit,and I believe,he wants to be burried with them.He also mentioned naming his next child Guru.,,,,or was it Andy?...not sure now.?:):)

If money IS an issue,then USA made Ludwig Legacy,Classic Maple and Keystone lines are up to the task for sound,build quality an hardware.The same can be said for Gretsch USA customs and Brooklyn lines.All quality,great sounding drums.

Steve B

Sonor makes the best maple kit followed by Gretsch. I am suspicious if you did not like a German Sonor maple kit you might not like maple at all.

If you've been through all those kits, I wonder if you'd be happy with anything.

Have you tried a sleishman maple? I have had a hit on one of those and thought it was pretty special.

Wish I could try a guru or other stave/steam bent kit but I haven't had the chance..

.... In my own experience of factory kits, yamaha and tama are the most bulletproof
and bridge the gap between consistent sounds/build and quality hardware....

If you get one of those new Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple kits when they're available, you can review it and tell us if it's worth the money - LOL
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/drums/ac-drumsets/absolute_hm/?mode=model

the two you haven't tried you should look at. Both the Ludwig Classics and the Gretsch USA Custom are great kits. Neither will disappoint.

I would like to try both of those, and doubt I'd be disappointed by either one.

I would suggest a Wittman stave kit in Curly Rock Maple these stave kits have unmatched volume, tone,and projection that no ply wood kit can match. I have the sound you are looking for.

Attachments

• kyles walnut snare ...finished 003.JPG
    kyles walnut snare ...finished 003.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 680
  • yellowheart   and purple maple snares 015.JPG
    yellowheart and purple maple snares 015.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 674
If you've been through all those kits, I wonder if you'd be happy with anything.

Have you tried a sleishman maple? I have had a hit on one of those and thought it was pretty special.

Wish I could try a guru or other stave/steam bent kit but I haven't had the chance..

Yeah, check out a Guru. Andy knows what he's doing. :)

Back