Help choosing bass drum pedal, PLEASE!

mabhz

Hi all! Once again I come to ask for your advice, this time concerning the choice of a double bass drum pedal.

Again, let me explain: the most OBVIOUS choice would be going to a local drum store and trying each one for myself. Problem is I live in a country/place these itens cant be found (or are EXTREMELLY) expensive, so it leaves me with the international online shopping option. Therefore, I have to choose and make a purchase WITHOUT actually trying a product for myself.

So... here´s the deal:

I have been using a cheap Mapex single pedal for 4 years now. Thats the pedal I actually learned to play.

Last year I wanted to give myself a "top quality" pedal so I bought a Tama Speed Cobra single pedal, mostly because of its long footboard. I also bought it without playing it first, mostly based on the longboard and because its pretty famous.

Notice that Im NOT a fast bass drum player, never will be, and I only play heel down. The only "fast" playing I do would be a "John Bonham triplets-like" fast run.

After one year trying it, I concluded that I definitely still play better (it feels more confortable!) with the old heavy Mapex. I have trying many settings on the Speed Cobra, but still cant get to make it feel like the Mapex. The SC is soooo soft that I almost feel like I´m NOT playing on it!! I cant feel the pedal under my feet!! Its akward! hahaha

Basically, I guess I like "heavier" pedals, ones that feels like it has more "resistance" and fights back with my feet. The Speed Cobra is a fantastic piece of equipment, but its too soft, too loose, lacks "tension", resistance. Even with the spring at the hardest tension, its waaaay too loose and soft compared to the Mapex.

I found that I actually feel better with "heavy" pedals because where I have my drum lessons, there´s this cheap Yamaha single pedal with a ball felt, and strap instead of chain. I just LOVE that beast!! I play soooo easily on it!!

I guess I need to feel some resistance when I press the pedal, and I need it to pull my foot back. Sorry if its a "lack of technique" on my side, but thats just the way I am at the moment, and I´d like a pedal that would be confortable with my (lack of) technique.

So, I would like to ask the pro´s around here for some word of advice. Which of the pedals below would better "fit" my requirements of a "heavier" pedal with more resistance, more tension, and more confortable for heel down all the time?

If you have already played the Speed Cobra and the ones I´ll list below, could you PLEASE advice on which one would feel more adequate to the characteristics Im looking for??

. DW 5002 AD4
. DW 9000 series
. Yamaha Flying Dragon

While at it, could someone also point me the main difference between the 5000 and the 9000 series? My first thought would be to go with the 9000, since its more expensive and probably "better", but a few people commented that the 5000 actually feels "better" than the 9000, even the latest having a better build and more features.

So, could you folks please adice again??

THANKS!!

I own and play a speed cobra and love it as a pedal, but if I played only heel down I doubt I would like it. Heel down is somewhat limited in speed and you can't do doubles as easily so the need for a high end pedal is debatable. That said if you want a heavy pedal look and iron cobras, dw 5000, or if your used to mapex try their falcon pedals. Of those 3 iron cobra is heaviest. Don't buy a dw9000 they are very light and have a floating feeling. None of these pedals will make you better, I would just keep what you have, and if you are being held back try to learn some new techniques, not new gear.

PS heel up is fun especially if you are used to heel down because your ankle will be well developed. Just get used to having your leg in the air.

I understand the problem of not going to the stores to try stuff, while I live in the UK its pretty hard for where i am to go to the store and try stuff out.

I would actually recommend the Iron cobras, the speed cobras as the name suggests are built for speed but the Iron Cobra to me are very heavy while having a great response.

of course there are many pedal threads already all over drummer world and the internet so a quick search will find a lot.

The DW9000 is way too smooth. Melted butter smooth. And as you know, they are not cheap. The DW5000 is a workhorse, not quite as smooth IMO - solid, perhaps heavier?
I have both on practice kits (but I use a Trick double in studio).

I haven't tried the Yammie Flying Dragon.

How about this - does Mapex make that pedal in a double? If it's one of their cheap pedals, perhaps a Mapex double that is higher up the food chain? I don't know much about their pedals myself. Their drums are nice.

.... where I have my drum lessons, there´s this cheap Yamaha single pedal with a ball felt, and strap instead of chain. I just LOVE that beast!! I play soooo easily on it!!....

Why not try to find that ^^^^ one?

Other than that, my first thought was like BigDinSD says - goes further up the Mapex line.

I've got a DW9000 single, and several Yamaha doubles and singles. The Yamaha's feel range from very light to medium for me.
The DW is solid, chunky, gives good feedback, and is super smooth.
Can't add much more than that, except to try before buying, if possible. And also that a higher price doesn't always mean the pedal will work better for you.

I have the latest DW 5002. I have been using the different versions of the pedal for over twenty five years..I recommend it for durability and feel.

I've had the 9000 and didnt like it for the reason people have said here - too smooth, if that makes any sense. Everybody likes something different. I guess my foot likes to work a little bit at least and have some resistance. Resistance is really a strong word, because the 5000 pedal doesn't make you work per say...but I like to feel something down there. The 5000 is plenty smooth enough. I play with the beaters they come with and I can generate plenty of power.

After the 9000 I bought a Trick Bigfoot - great pedal and very adjustable. The thing was - I was trying to adjust it so it felt like my DW5000...so I bought the newest 5000 and I'm back to DW.

I have a heavy foot and tended to break the pedals I bought. I havent broke any of my 5000's. I gig and play out on a regular basis.

I haven't played the Yamaha.

Hope this helps.

If your looking for a single pedal I would go with the Ludwig Speed King. I have one that I am using now that I got way back in 1966 or so.

if your wanting to feel more resistance then you probably will be satisfied with the 5002AD4. the 9000 has less resistance and is much smoother imo.

Back