Head for Ludwig BB

JohnnySomersett

Hey, some of you may have seen my other thread about my newly ordered Ludwig Black Beauty 14x5 that should arrive in a week or two. I've previously only really ever used 13" snares so my stock of heads won't be any good.

So, this being my first BB, my first Ludwig, my first brass and first 14" snare...

Remo Coated Ambassador or Coated Emperor?

I like a bit of ring from my snare, and normally tune pretty high for a nice 'snap'. I'm hoping to get that snap along with a nice depth to the sound with this 'ultimate' snare so I'm just about to order some heads in preparation for it's arrival as I wont be leaving the stock heads on. I'm an average-to-heavy hitter (maybe 7/10 at my hardest) so need something relatively strong. I've always used coated Ambassadors on my snares but this is uncharted territory for me!

So, what would you recommend/what do you BB owners use?

Muchos Gratias Amigos!

Both will work well. Ambs if you like 'em a little more open. Emps if you prefer a tiny bit more focus (not to mention the added durability of a 2 ply head).

I use coated Emps on all my Ludwig metal snares (4 in total).....have done for years and don't see any reason to change as I love the sound. That said, if all I could get my hands on was a coated Ambassador, I wouldn't shy away from using that either.

All in all, I'd probably be inclined to suggest you try an Ambassador first. The single ply head really allows you to figure out exactly what the drum is capable of in its most "natural" state. If it's a shade too open, you can always pick up an Emperor if it's not quite giving you the focus you want/need.....or just muffle to taste.

Last edited:
I like a bit of ring from my snare, and normally tune pretty high for a nice 'snap'. I'm hoping to get that snap along with a nice depth to the sound with this 'ultimate' snare so I'm just about to order some heads in preparation for it's arrival as I wont be leaving the stock heads on.

Coated Ambassador it is...

I'm an average-to-heavy hitter (maybe 7/10 at my hardest) so need something relatively strong.

I don't know what 7/10 means. I mean, I know "7 out of 10", but every drummer thinks hitting hard means something different. If you stick is relatively flat (not angled--using good technique), and doesn't come more than 9 inches off the head, and you think you're "whacking the snot out of it", then Ambassadors would sound good. If you raise your marching sticks above your head for every stroke, then you might want to try Emperors.

Personally, I got a 14x6.5 BB with a Coated Ambassador, and I thought it was a tad too ringy. I slapped a Coated Emperor on it, cranked it, and it sounds golden!

Well, I've kinda gone on a tangent with this.

I've finally got sick of Remo's 'new' coating wearing out too quick (3 hours the last Amb lasted until the coating wore through!) so I'm moving over to Aquarian.

I've ordered an Aquarian Texture Coated (Amb equivalent) and an Aquarian Response II (Emp equivalent) from a local place and I'm gonna give them a go instead. I was analyzing my technique the other day and there are definitely times when I'm giving it some proper stick with the 7A's so I'll try the Emp equiv first. Wish me luck!

i had an Ambassador on my BB for a good few months...loved it! Then recently it was time to change the head and tried a powerstroke 3 on it and love it too!!!

I think the ambassador when new might be a little ringy at times but as the head wears in it starts to sound a little tamer similar to a powerstroke 3 is from day one.

My remo coated heads have not worn out to soon in my opinion. Maybe I'm just lucky that I've received good heads or many of us are just playing differently?

Back