Show Off Your DW Kit

Well considering I probably like the sound of my kit better because of the Walnut I would have to say no. Now if he has Walnut in those shells then maybe. :)

Please don't take this the wrong way, but have you owned a DW kit before? I say that because I've got a 2010 Collector's standard 5 piece, and before that I owned a 5 piece Saturn in the exact same sizes. The Saturn cost me about ~$1500 and the DW cost me $2200 (finishply). The sound on both kits are outstanding, but the DWs are IMO a definite step up in hardware quality, construction, ease of tuning, and maintenance.

I know a lot of people like to look at DW and say since they are a maple kit with a steep price, it must be marketing, hype... I think most people who have owned (not just played) a DW would say otherwise.

Its like comparing a Honda Accord to a Mercedes CLS. Line the two cars up side to side without owning either and it's easy to say they are both four doors that will get you from point A to B. There's a lot more under the packaging that is easy to shrug off until you experience it.

To end my rambling post, I loved my Saturns,and I've played on many fine drums, but at the end of the day, I'd take a DW kit of any other based on my personal expereince with them.

Vegas island, that is beautiful..

Hey Jimbo. I am not taking it the wrong way at all. It is all good. I think you like the sound of an all maple shell. I don't. I don't even like my favorite drummers kit sound.(Neil Peart)
I bought my Saturns from one of the most established drum stores in Ontario, and probably Canada. They have every top of the line kit coming and going in that place. He is a huge DW retailer. He has had so many different one of a kind kits in there, and so on. I have tried many. They sound like Maple kits. Very well made maple kits, but still maple. When he called me in to see a used Saturn one day he admitted to me that the Saturn was an amazing kit. He said the sound was very unique. All the guys that worked there would tap the toms on the set that was in the window because of how unique they sounded. These guys are used to having Brady, DW, Sonor, Pearl, Ludwig, Tama, top of the line kits in their stores.

I did not buy the Saturn's because they were cheap or because of the name Mapex. I had not even heard the name before. The day I went in to look at the used kit was the first time I had seen Mapex before. They just had such a different sound to all the other kits that I had tried over the last 20 years of going into drum stores and wondering if I was missing anything by solely playing my Roland TD10 kit.

If you have seen my kit you will know that I am fussy. I know all about the DW hardware. That silly rack and all its stands costs more than most peoples kits. It was the rack and hardware that I wanted because it seemed to be the best built. We are not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but if I had wanted a DW kit, believe me I would of gotten one.

I love the the one hole and size of the Mapex lug. On the White it looked like buttons on a tuxedo. Nice and small and low in mass, without the extra hole that is not needed. There tom mounts are among the best out there as far as I'm concerned. Very Tama like, who I think have been the for runners for years on hardware. I don't like the huge lug on the DW. Lugs should be small, and low in mass as far as I'm concerned. I also don't like the DW tom mounting system. It is way too large and visible to me. I bought a top of the line DW snare stand a few years back and I hate it. It seems to never stay set. The Mapex one is beautifully made with a ball in socket joint for adjustment. I think Yamaha also does this. You can put the snare exactly were you want it and it will not move.

I have not owned a DW kit before, but I have enough of there stands pedals and hardware to know what they are about. They make good stuff just like everyone else. I love the sound of Walnut, and thin shells that project very well. Mapex just happens to make this.

I think a lot of people, whether they will admit it or not, see owning a DW as a status symbol. Kind of like owning a Harley. They are the kit to have right now because a lot of the pros are payed to play them. If was like this with TAMA in the past, as well as Ludwig. I don't buy my kit because of who plays it. I buy it because of how it sounds. I used a Maple patch on my Rolands for the last 20 years, and I am bored to tears with how they and the maple kits I hear sound. Maybe one day that will change, who knows. For now I love the sound of the Saturns. The fact that they are cheap is just a bonus. I get to buy more pieces. :)

...I did not buy the Saturn's because they were cheap or because of the name Mapex. I had not even heard the name before. The day I went in to look at the used kit was the first time I had seen Mapex before. They just had such a different sound to all the other kits that I had tried over the last 20 years of going into drum stores and wondering if I was missing anything by solely playing my Roland TD10 kit. ...

Ok, but everywhere I see you comment on DW, the point being made is cost, as if that is your top priority. There is nothing wrong with that. Not everyone can afford DW kits, and not everyone is willing to or able to justify them regardless of their income. And, of course, not everyone likes how they sound. I think that is the best reason not to buy them, but I don't see those people so often throwing mud. Now, when it came down to your own kit, it seems that cost was not the #1 issue. You bought yours for two of the same reasons I bought mine: sound and looks.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if you would be willing to share the cost of your gigantic kit so that we might compare it against mine. Not exactly apples to apples, but me might be able to get close if we leave off cymbals. I expect mine to be more expensive due to the finish... and because they are DWs. However, I know the cost of my kit were it done as a wrap, so that could get us that much closer. So, you're 14 piece shell pack versus my 12?

The only mud I throw is the fact that they are way too expensive. It is a fact actually. We can not compare what I spent because I bought mine in Canada. I do know what I could of got if for in the states though. Oh, and by the way mine is not a wrap. It is a hand rubbed 8 coat lacquer finish over an arctic white paint. I don't do wraps. :)

In the states I could of bought 2 seven piece shell packs for about 4 thousand dollars total. That crazy rack alone cost me 3500 up here in Canada with all the cymbal arms and mounts. The funny thing is all the DW hardware is made in China. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :) Pretty sure they have quality labour there just like in North America. They jack up the price and put a DW stamp on it. Even their PDP rack is cheaper, just because it doesn't say DW. Same rack though. Marketing, marketing, marketing. Just want people to pick with there ears, and not by brand. Guess that is my main point. I will leave it alone.

They jack up the price and put a DW stamp on it. Even their PDP rack is cheaper, just because it doesn't say DW. Same rack though. Marketing, marketing, marketing. Just want people to pick with there ears, and not by brand. Guess that is my main point.
:) :) Am I the only one who picks up on the conflicting statements here/ :) :) So you went for the DW branded product then;)

Only pulling your string.

:) :) Am I the only one who picks up on the conflicting statements here/ :) :) So you went for the DW branded product then;)

Only pulling your string.
Its starting to feel lile pile on time again. :)
Your right, I did contradict myself with the hardware :(

The only mud I throw is the fact that they are way too expensive. It is a fact actually.

I think watching this video justifies the cost for DW's, it's pretty impressive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPighlLYd2c

Its starting to feel lile pile on time again. :)

Well, you know, this is a "show your DW kit" thread, so you can probably see why you feel you're being piled on. BTW, I really dig your Mapex kit. Also, just so you know, I personally owned an '89 DW kit, so I feel that I can comment on the "owners" experience. I thought the fit and finish of that kit was outstanding, and I thought they sounded really good. I just happened to stumble onto the wonders of some rare Blaemire fiberglass shells, and my "sound in my head" drums had finally arrived.....But, that's another story altogether. ;-p

The only mud I throw is the fact that they are way too expensive. It is a fact actually.

Its not a fact, as facts are not subject to relative points of view. So, we're saying 4 grand in the states for a reasonable representation of your kit? My 12 piece pack was 9 grand. The difference I paid got me all the little details that I wanted that aren't available from Mapex (which is a brand that I highly admire, btw.) Had it been a wrap, the price would have dropped to about $4,500.00. If we really are picking with our ears...

Wait, what?

Sorry. I should have used a ;) instead. It's a stupid thing left over from a music theory class I took in college where the teacher had this thing about trying to keep the class on their toes. He would always refer to thirds as minor fourths, or ask the class to play a sharp 7th and crap like that. Honestly, I've never been able to get it out of my head. It's a curse, really.

Back