what do you get when you cross samurai warriors with drummers?

Fortunately I have fairly decent speakers... This is really awesome! Thanks for the link.

I saw a similar group about 8 monthes ago. I was in the second row and the concussion from those drums was severe. You felt as much as you heard. They were absolutely great. The group I saw does a 2 year internship befrore playing publicly and then they earn time on the tour as they improve. Talk about precision. amazing.

Wow! Great link, that was just what I needed to start my morning! Their level of precision and athleticism is on par with any major American drum corps. In fact, I think the Americans could learn a thing or two from watching these guys work their magic!

yes, after posting i started watching loads of similar vids and here is one about their training regime that so in spired me that i went for a very disciplined practice and will go for another one in ten minutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnq4hHv61DY&feature=fvw

watch it and you'll get the feeling that, no matter how much you practice, you are lazy.

In the show that I saw they had seven drummers sitting on the front of the stage with small drums, 14 inches or so, sitting on small stands. They started out by doing very silent single stroke taps that got more and more intricate and louder as the went. The crescendo was amazing. They then began to play a little softer down to where they started, so you could barely hear, and all in unison without missing a beat. I was mesmerized. If you ever get a chance to see one of these troupes, GO.

http://www.japantravelinfo.com/news/news_item.php?newsid=140

I have seen a Korean drum troop and last spring at WOMAD a Japanese taiko troop; WOW!. I would love to play those big drums. I would have like have seen Bonham behind a kit like that! "Concussion" is what I felt too. My wife fancies those hard bodies (of the drums she tells me!) If you like drums, then you have to see this genre of music at some point if you haven't already.

Thanks for the video; I enjoyed it.

GJS

they featured taiko drums on 'how is it made' a few months back and the largest drum takes 20 years to make and costs more than £200 000.

j

DSCF0313.JPG

If you could see the dudes whaling on these large drums with what appears to be an American baseball bat it would amaze you. And some of these songs lasted 10 minutes and these guys were pounding on the 1 & 3 of 4/4 time the entire time.

My daughter is in a Taiko Drum group at the University of Oklahoma. She is Native American (Indian), not Japanese, but she is very interested in Japanese culture. I love going to see her shows. They are acrobatic and musical at the same time. Love those stick twirls!

Here in Sydney, I play with a group called Taikoz.
It plays taiko, the Japanese drumming. The routines are intricate, and physically demanding. To hear the ensemble pulling together through a routine sends shivers down your spine, its fantastic.
An amazing workout, everything just quivers with the exertion, but there is nothing to match the feel of the sound.
If ever you get the chance, go and see a troupe play live.

wow, that first clip was dazzling - i spent all six minutes grinning like an idiot - thanks for sharing that Nutha!

Talk about amazing. Made my night! That's exceptional performance. I wouldn't be surprised if they could compete with top drum lines.

I saw Taikoz at the Enmore Theatre. Front row. It was awesome. The energy, the spectacle and the BOOM are special. Apparently those guys run 10kms first thing every morning to be fit enough to do it.

You'd need good soundproofing to rehearse, though.

Talk about amazing. Made my night! That's exceptional performance. I wouldn't be surprised if they could compete with top drum lines.

Hey Del - noticed you are in Seattle

There are a few taiko clubs/troupes in Seattle

Sadly, as the fates would have it -- this last weekend had Bellevue Community College hosting a few performances during the hosting of the local Japanese cultural fair

but keep an eye out

Last edited:
I saw Taikoz at the Enmore Theatre. Front row. It was awesome. The energy, the spectacle and the BOOM are special. Apparently those guys run 10kms first thing every morning to be fit enough to do it.

You'd need good soundproofing to rehearse, though.

Taikoz rehearse in an old warehouse near the fishmarkets in Sydney. Great space, filled with old beams and floorboards that give a sense of a Japanese Dojo. Still suffer with noise restrictions though. But its in an industrial sort of area.

Oh I've seen these guys in band class, they were awsome. Try to find the clip where two guys are passing an invisible ball back and forth with cymbals.

Back