Ride Mic

Byzance

Hi Guys, i have a question about what kind of mic you guys use for picking up your ride cymbal.

In this case im not interested in overheads just the option of call it "close micing" the ride.
Or directional mic'd ride.

Case: I love my setup of mic's for this one recording BUT i lack a bit or ride "volume" you may call it.
And i do not want to change any levels on the other mic's, i have the crashes toms and kick, snare etc etc all perfect. only my 22" K Light ride just dont shine thrue all the way.

So im looking for a addition to my collection of mics, or suggestions.
Im thinking a condenser or pencil condencer perhapps, cardiode or hyper cardiode pattern (sm81) or (oktavia mk 012, akg c1000s?) .
or something completely different anyone useing a ribbon mic(beyerdynamic m160) or something completely different.

Please respond with the type of application you used your mic, and of course what mice u used. Pros and Cons from the usage.
Cheers /byz

I'd be careful with what mic you use (since you mention ribbon)...probably a Shure SM81 or PG81 (if you're a little strapped for cash) would work well. As for placement, I'd put it under the cymbal, under the bell specifically. If you put it on the bow of the cymbal, you're going to get a lot of unwanted overtones in the mic (plus you play a K). Play with placement from there.

If you have a large diaphragm condenser around, set it up as a room mic with the capsule aim more towards your ride and you'll get a good sound.

Personally I use two pencil condensers overhead, a pencil condenser on the hats, two large dia. condensers for room mics and then a close mic on each drum. I get a good ride sound with that set-up.

You could use a fill mic for your ride if you had to, but I just position my overheads a little closer to my cymbals and add a room mic to get some of the rooms ambiance. I know that you would rather not touch the way you have the microphones set up, but some experimentation has to be made sometimes to improve the overall sound of the kit. My microphone configuration varies a bit from time to time, but this is generally how I mic my kits.

DSC_0183-1.jpg

DSC_0148-1.jpg

DSC_0137-1.jpg

DSC_0089-1.jpg

Dennis

Thanks for the comments.

I'we ended up using a SM81 about a foot under the bell and a C4000B a few feet above and infront of the kit like you have on your pictures @Audiotech.
This got me the wash and shine from the K Light ride as close to what i had in mind i can get from this room I'm recording in and the mic's i have available right now.

Witch consists of 4xOpus 81, 4x 421, 2x Nt5, C4000B, 2x SM81 (ride & hat), beta52, sm57, sm58. i think thats it.

Opus 81 and 421 on toms, sm57 on snare, beta 52 and sm58 on kick (yes sm58 inside the kick. for the mids around 1000-1500khz) C4000B and the nt5 on overheas, and the sm81s on ride and hat.

And nice looking Maple Custom Absolute's you got there Audiotech.
I also play a MCA but with the absolute lugg's.

Back