drumsticks as birthday present

Sorana

hello. I am terribly new here. I have read most of the posts but I still thought I should ask for help. I don't know much about drumsticks, but I would very much like to buy a pair as a birtday present for my boyfriend. I really don't want to ask him what type he uses because I fear he might figure it out. he plays in a pegan/folk-metal band and I read that 5A, 2B and 5B are most suited for this type of music. also, there are two types of tips: rubber or wood? I really want to support him and his music, that's why I am asking for your help. I also saw that vic firth is one of the best brands on the market. I would have to purchase them over the internet because I did not find any in the town I live. thanks so much

My advice is to be sneaky but in a nice way. Just look at the writing on a pair of his sticks or take a picture of them when he's not around, take that to the drum department of the local music store and ask for however many pairs you want to get. They're 10-15 bucks but you can get some in bricks to save money.

If he catches you, just tell him what you're doing, he'll love you for it regardless of being sneaky. :p

What a sweet girlfriend you are. Definitely get him whatever he uses. The tip is very important. For instance he could use the brand Vic Firth in a 2B sized stick with a nylon acorn shaped tip. You wouldn't want to get him a wooden ball shaped tipped stick, because he might not use them. Get exactly what he uses, same brand, same size, same tip material, same tip shape.

Got any sisters?

Take him to his favorite drum store and have him pick them out, maybe he's due for a change and wants to try something different. The only way this can happen is if he can hold them and make the final decision. Then surprise him by paying for them. This is what my girlfriend does if the drum item needs a personal fit to it.

Dennis

Gift certificates are so impersonal. A cop out of a gift IMO. Gift certificates. Where you take perfectly good money and convert it to a form that can only be used in one store.
Better off giving cash, not a particularly thoughtful gift either.

Sorana, you should take a look at his drum heads. If they look dented and old, maybe heads would be a great gift too. Sticks and heads, a drummer always can use sticks and heads.

Gift certificates are so impersonal. A cop out of a gift IMO. Gift certificates. Where you take perfectly good money and convert it to a form that can only be used in one store.

Sorana, you should take a look at his drum heads. If they look dented and old, maybe heads would be a great gift too. Sticks and heads, a drummer always can use sticks and heads.

I don't know about that. I think sticks and heads are a very personal decision. I wouldn't want anyone buying them for me unless I picked them out first.

I would personally love it if someone got my drumsticks or heads.

I think you should get him a bunch of very different drumsticks. Maybe figure out his brand and buy 3 to 5 pairs of signiture sticks. I think that are pretty neat to try out, and you could get them for him for every gift giving holiday since there are tons of different sticks.

Good luck!

I have gotten sticks and heads many times for gifts, but I always tell the giver of the gift what I use. I say take a sneak peek when he goes to the restroom (or something similar). Good luck.

If you don't have the sticks around to look at, you could say something like "I've always noticed these numbers and letters on your drum sticks, what do they mean?" and then go from there. Even if he does figure it out I doubt he'd say anything and still love getting some as a present.

Personally I'd avoid guessing or getting lots of different types - I tend to stick pretty closely to what I know and like, but who knows.

I'll agree that gift certs are impersonal, but I rather have a gift certificate than a pair of sticks I'm not gonna use, for the non-initiated punter, buying drumsticks can be a risky business, and if you want to make the surprise, you sure don't want to ask the drummer, lol, difficult to ask questions about which drumsticks he use near his birthday without looking suspicious, same for heads.

I have recieved sticks as a gift in the past, I still have them, they've never been used, wrong type and specs.

I think you should get him a bunch of very different drumsticks. Maybe figure out his brand and buy 3 to 5 pairs of signiture sticks. I think that are pretty neat to try out, and you could get them for him for every gift giving holiday since there are tons of different sticks.

Although the flip side is, he's left with a bunch of sticks he doesn't like and has no desire to use.

I was given sticks I didn't use as a present once......I was left thinking something along the lines of: "I know it's the thought that counts.......I just wish you did bloody well think".

I know it's ingrateful, but seriously, at the end of the day what the hell was I gonna do with all those useless pieces of firewood that were never gonna see a drumhead because they just didn't suit me?

If you know exactly what sticks he uses - hey, go for it!

However, I myself love the gift certificates. And they are a nice thought cuz you give the recipient the chance to pick out exactly what they want.

You never know - he may decide that a new head or $600 snare drum (just kidding) is what he wants. Online stores such as Musician's Friend will send the paper certificate to you so you can personally hand it to the birthday boy. How do I know that? :)

"The way to a man's heart is through his stomach" The way to a drummer's heart is to do something thoughtful like this. You are a very special lady to give him a nice present like drumsticks.

hello. I am terribly new here. I have read most of the posts but I still thought I should ask for help. I don't know much about drumsticks, but I would very much like to buy a pair as a birtday present for my boyfriend. I really don't want to ask him what type he uses because I fear he might figure it out. he plays in a pegan/folk-metal band and I read that 5A, 2B and 5B are most suited for this type of music. also, there are two types of tips: rubber or wood? I really want to support him and his music, that's why I am asking for your help. I also saw that vic firth is one of the best brands on the market. I would have to purchase them over the internet because I did not find any in the town I live. thanks so much

Dude...my advice is that he should marry you. That's quite awesome that you joined a message board to inquire us about drumsticks for your boyfriend.

Beyond that I would say 5A, it's the standard for rock and metal (usually). I like Pro Mark the best but am stuck with AntiVibes due to my carpal tunnel (and Zildjian sticks aren't that bad either)

Yeah, that about sums it up.

So got an answer to the question I posed?

By buying me something I was never gonna use, he pissed his money up against the wall....pure and simple.

EDIT: I see this stems from you getting your knickers in a twist over another thread. Wanna kiss, cuddle and make up or just continue to sulk in the corner?

Last edited:
The two big chains near me, Guitar Center and Sam Ash both are starting to sell clothing too. I was tempted to get a Zildjian t-shirt the other day when I was in there, but didn't. So there's always that option if the stick thing proves to be a hassle.

Sometimes the "wrong" sticks aren't always bad. Last year for Christmas, my brother sent me some Zildjian 5A dipped (sticks with a rubberized end on them for better grip) sticks. I had been using a regular Vic Firth 5A plain wood stick. It turned out that I loved the dipped end sticks and have been using them ever since.

Of course I was still very new to drumming and still trying to find what I liked so experimentation was a good thing. If your boyfriend has been drumming for a long time, he probably knows what he prefers.

If all else fails, the gift certificate route can work without being too impersonal. Just make sure you give it to him with the caveat that you want to go shopping with him when he uses it so you can learn more about his music. He can show you around the shop so you can see other things he likes as well and you'll have a great idea of what he would want next time you need a gift for him. Plus, he'll love the fact that you are so interested in what he's doing :)

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!

So got an answer to the question I posed?

By buying me something I was never gonna use, he pissed his money up against the wall....pure and simple.

EDIT: I see this stems from you getting your knickers in a twist over another thread. Wanna kiss, cuddle and make up or just continue to sulk in the corner?

I call them as I see them. The post above is not related to the post in the other thread. It stands on its own merit of how selfish you are. If you'd like me to report you, I can.

Last edited:
Back