The Grand Master Buddy Rich

Is it really true that buddy rich couldn't read music? I thought that he couldn't, but his solos are so complicated and amazing, and he keeps on beat so well I really would have never known. I notice that in anything, the guy who is self taught always reigns supreme.....
- Marc

tambian89 said:
Is it really true that buddy rich couldn't read music? I thought that he couldn't, but his solos are so complicated and amazing, and he keeps on beat so well I really would have never known. I notice that in anything, the guy who is self taught always reigns supreme.....
- Marc
Reading doesnt have much to do with the stuff you said. Vinnie went to Berklee, self taught, i think not! Hey that rhymes! Sweet.

brittc89 said:
Reading doesnt have much to do with the stuff you said. Vinnie went to Berklee, self taught, i think not! Hey that rhymes! Sweet.

Yep. I just watched the Steve Gadd/Zildjian tribute dvd, and every musician on that dvd is reading a chart (even Tom Scott on the tunes he wrote!). Vinnie's eyes where glued to his chart during "Nite Sprite", even though I'm sure he's heard/played that song 100s of times.

The advantage being, no need for lengthy group rehearsals. The rehearsal footage is pretty sweet, you get to see how those high caliber musicians work behind the scenes. Good stuff.

Re: Non-Believers, Blasphemers, Heretics, Heathens! Prepare to Humble Thyselves . . .

That left hand had a life of its own. Un-freakin'-believable.

Long live Buddy.

TOMANO

DogBreath said:
I've heard that people have started playing drums in other countries, too.

Heck, I've heard this drumming thing has reached as far as Africa!!!

Can you 'magine?

TOMANO

Re: Non-Believers, Blasphemers, Heretics, Heathens! Prepare to Humble Thyselves . .

no the video wasnt working for me but the audio wasnt

but im over here wondering who on earth would be a non-buddy-believer, the guy is an animal in every video we see!

tambian89 said:
- Marc
How about this.......
Is it really true that buddy rich couldn't read music? I thought that he couldn't, but his solos are so complicated and amazing, and he keeps on beat so well I really would have never known. I notice that in anything, the guy who is self taught always seems to reign supreme.....
Happy?
- Marc

Please, could anybody tell me what's the best choice to make when it comes to Buddy Rich's videos widely (or not) available? Just want to have a nice (the best, if possible) piece of drumming history at home from the distance of a (my) tv remote control. Just confort and admiration put together. Any Buddy full video that actually combines great sound + simply astounding (unbelievable) performances + great selection of acts ??? (maybe "Buddy Rich 'At The Top' "?) - that would be so nice to have!. Please let me know the best choice there is... I'm just as much a fan of the great Master as any of you, guys... :eek:)

Thanks a lot!.

- Ivo.

Last edited:
Hey!

I'm a big Buddy fan and if I had to recommend one vidéo it would be the pack in which there is "The Channel One Suite + The Lost West Side Story Tapes", he's just amazing. Musically, It is not that amazing, he was towards the end and what everyone was waiting for was the drum solo, but man... when that drum solo comes!! He does an amazing intro on brushes too. There are also a few good bonus, interviews etc...
To have absolutely!!

Take care,

Re: Another unreal Buddy Rich solo!

It would seem like at the time, to the non-drummer/musician, he was the most visually appealing drummer who also sounded busy at the same time

Stu_Strib said:
Yeah, that's what I've never understood about Buddy. His drumming is very technical. Why do non-drummers like it so much? You would THINK people that don't drum would get bored of it, but they seem to like it better than people like me and finn.

I don't get that either. Any non-musical person I know tends not give a crap about drummers or they like more of the showman type (not that there's anything wrong with that...). When they see BR I expect "Yeah he's fast and he made a funny face", and when they see others its "OMFG! That part where his drumset flipped upside down was amaaaazing!" I see the opposite reaction most of the time...but hey, if they like Buddy they're cool in my book. Oh, and another killer solo by B.R!!

definately one of my favorite drummers. i love all his work!

CadaveR (Ivo) said:
Please, could anybody tell me what's the best choice to make when it comes to Buddy Rich's videos widely (or not) available? Just want to have a nice (the best, if possible) piece of drumming history at home from the distance of a (my) tv remote control. Just confort and admiration put together. Any Buddy full video that actually combines great sound + simply astounding (unbelievable) performances + great selection of acts ??? (maybe "Buddy Rich 'At The Top' "?) - that would be so nice to have!. Please let me know the best choice there is... I'm just as much a fan of the great Master as any of you, guys... :eek:)

Thanks a lot!.

- Ivo.

I really like the Buddy Rich Live At The 1982 Montreal Jazz Festival DVD.

DruManiac19 said:
i still think he has the fastest hands ever.
great clarity.

Over short bursts, I don't think I've ever seen anyone faster than Joe Morello; this is, of course, ignoring WFD competitors who play at about 3 decibels in an unmusical context.

Lingenfelter Twin Turbo said:
I don't think this one is on this site. He is 61 years old in this clip. Words can't describe Buddy's talent!
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/62425/buddy_rich_drum_solo_1978_buddy_is_61/

Amen. For those drummers who think in order to do a solo they must have 10 drums & cymbals, time to think again. I was lucky enuogh to see Buddy & his band either '79 or '80 I believe it was. Just unbelievable performance.

By the way, I'm a C-5 owner & drummer...no twin turbo, but would love them!

Simply amazing. Your right this isnt on the site but they should put it on. Damn hes so fast.

Thanks a lot AurelienPK and rjvsmb!. I'll definitely consider both suggestions. : ]

- About Buddy and speed, I think I've never seen anyone that fast for so long periods of time with so little effort being put on the drumset. Also think that Buddy is underrrated by some people because he played in an era of less high-tech equipment and using a basic Jazzistic drum set and basically only playin' (not always) Jazz oriented material (including the Jazz influence into his great solos - some of the best EVER, imo). If you disconsider the sound quality and the drum sets full of tom toms and triggers around, when it comes strictly to raw technique, speed, creativity when soloing and sheer showmanship, I really think that Buddy is still THE man (Could anybody prove I'm wrong? I'm dying for something as much - or more??? - daring/inspiring as Buddy's classic videos through the net!). : ]

- Ivo.

Last edited:
Back