PDP CX, Where to look for, before I buy it?

sander_bos

Hello,

I was looking for a drumkit and I found a three year old PDP CX 6 pieces drumkit. There's also a drumrack included. I can buy it for 500 euro. It seems to be a good deal.
Tomorrow I will pick it up, but are there things to look for?
I thought it would be smart to check all te bearing edges, but what can I do more?

Thanks, ;)

Regards,

Sander

Well, good/bad news depending on how you look at it. I can't really tell you ANYTHING to look for. I've had my CXs since 2002(?) with absolutely NO issues/problems. Looks, function, sound ... still flawless! But yes, it wouldn't hurt to check the bearing edges because you don't know how the previous owner treated them. Good luck! And if you get them, hopefully they'll serve you as well as mine have me.

Well, good/bad news depending on how you look at it. I can't really tell you ANYTHING to look for. I've had my CXs since 2002(?) with absolutely NO issues/problems. Looks, function, sound ... still flawless! But yes, it wouldn't hurt to check the bearing edges because you don't know how the previous owner treated them. Good luck! And if you get them, hopefully they'll serve you as well as mine have me.

Thanks for your answer, I really appreciate it ;)
As a can see on the pictures, the toms have the (tension) rod mount instead of the STM mount. Does that make any differents?

I'm not sure what you mean about the mounts. The CX's made before mine had mounts that stuck out farther than the newer style, but I thought they all had STM-style mounts. BTW, I went with all stands - not the rack.

I had a Cx kit with the older mounts. If you do the modern flat tom thing, they tend to wobble a bit. Other than that, they work fine. The kit sounded great. I bought it for the sound even though I wasn't crazy about the wrap it had. Eventually I traded it in for some lacquered wood Renowns. But there was nothing wrong with the sound of the Cx's. The shorter toms had less sustain than the Gretschs, but you can select heads and tune them up to have perfectly nice sustain and tone.

What finish did you get? I have the white onyx (like the 70's Ludwig white marine pearl). It's gorgeous! Enjoy!

I've been playing these for seven years. They are pretty easy to tune and have never let me down. I just reheaded the whole kit with coated Emps over clear Ambs and a new Evans Emad 2 clear.

mmmm nice and meaty

Have fun with your new kit. BTW what finish did you get?

picture.php

I have thema finish 'Blue Onyx' its a real weird but nice color.
The kit came with remo heads but thema bottom heads are the standard fabric heads
Does it make much differents if i replace them for remo heads?
And which one should i choose?

Well, head choice is a matter of personal taste, your style of playing, and the type of music you'll be playing. I play in ridiculously loud rock bands, and I'm usually not mic'd, so I need durable heads that still give me good tone and projection. I've tried Evans EC2 over EC reso, Aquarian Performance II over Studio X, Evans Black Onyx over G Plus (just put this combo on - haven't played them out yet), and Remo Pinstripe over Ambassador. My faves so far were probably the Aquarians and the Evans EC combo.

With nice drums you're going to want nice bottom heads, although I'm willing to bet they are already Remo heads on the reso side even if they aren't marked.

I would go with Aquarian Classic Clear on the bottom and Evan's Ec2, or Aquarian Response 2 or Super 2

Back