Iron Cobra Slavew Pedal Extremely Hard to Play

Tragesty

Hey guys,

I found a guy who was selling an Iron cobra Power Glide double pass pedal, and decided to buy it off him.

Now while everything works fine, the one problem is the slave pedal. Is it meant to be harder to push then the main pedal? Because for me it seems a lot harder. Putting both beaters flat on the head and letting them go shows the main pedal's beater continues to swing bac and forth on its own will much longer then the slave pedal, which stops swinging rather quickly.

I've taken the chain off the slave pedal, and spun the cam on its own and put some lubricant spary, and it spings really fast and freely. Ive replaced the spring with a pretty good condition one off my old single pedal, and while everything seems fine when I test it beforehand, as soon as I put the metal adjustable plate connecting the two pedals, it slows down. Is it due to the weight that the slave pedal now has to deal with? These pedals come with so much adjustabily, perhaps the previous owner adjusted the slave to require more force and I haven't spotted the adjsutment needed? Oh, and I have played around with the spring tension overall.

Thank you to anyone who can help,

michael.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I found a guy who was selling an Iron cobra Power Glide double pass pedal, and decided to buy it off him.

Now while everything works fine, the one problem is the slave pedal. Is it meant to be harder to push then the main pedal? Because for me it seems a lot harder. Putting both beaters flat on the head and letting them go shows the main pedal's beater continues to swing bac and forth on its own will much longer then the slave pedal, which stops swinging rather quickly.

I've taken the chain off the slave pedal, and spun the cam on its own and put some lubricant spary, and it spings really fast and freely. Ive replaced the spring with a pretty good condition one off my old single pedal, and while everything seems fine when I test it beforehand, as soon as I put the metal adjustable plate connecting the two pedals, it slows down. Is it due to the weight that the slave pedal now has to deal with? These pedals come with so much adjustabily, perhaps the previous owner adjusted the slave to require more force and I haven't spotted the adjsutment needed? Oh, and I have played around with the spring tension overall.

Thank you to anyone who can help,

michael.

I'm not saying this is your fault but a lot of double pedal drummers make the mistake of setting both spring tensions the same on both pedals have you done this? What you need to do is to adjust the slave's spring tension so that both beaters do swing back at the same time. So the spring tensions on both pedals could be completely different but they will feel the same as each other as you have to compensate for the linkage, joints extra weight etc.

I'm not saying this is your fault but a lot of double pedal drummers make the mistake of setting both spring tensions the same on both pedals have you done this? What you need to do is to adjust the slave's spring tension so that both beaters do swing back at the same time. So the spring tensions on both pedals could be completely different but they will feel the same as each other as you have to compensate for the linkage, joints extra weight etc.

Indeed the same comment I was going to have. Spring tensions will not be the same between both pedals, try adjusting the slave to get it more comfortable.

It's funny how everyone states that slave problems on double pedals are caused by your left foot being weaker. It's actually not the problem. This can be easily tested by playing the slave pedal with your right foot. You will clearly see the assumption was correct, the slave is harder to play.

The reason why the slave pedal on you tama or most double pedals is harder to play because the slave is working harder to make the beater reach the drum head. The energy from you foot has to go into the pedal then transfer to/through the driveshaft then the beater. This is obiously not the case with the regular pedal.

It is a little obvious that your left foot is weaker, which is why I tend to technique the hell out my right foot to try get it really fast because double bass is something I don't find helpful at all and it's not as needed especially if I don't play metal or glam rock hahaha.

But yeah, your left foots weaker. Everything takes practice and time!

Back