68' Ludwig drum head input wanted

Gallden

Hey mates

I've just bought a 68' standard Ludwig kit. I'll be doing some recording soon and maybe a bit of gigging also. So I'm looking for some head combos, batter and reso's, for all the drums kick included, that will give me that dry Wilco sound. Thanks for any help.

Remo heads fit my 60's Ludwig kit well.
I use Ambassador-X Coated batter heads over Coated Ambassador resonant heads on the toms.
I use a clear PS3 bass batter and a Smooth White Ambassador reso with a felt strip muffler on the BD.

On my 60's Ludwig kits i use Remo heads
Toms: Coated Vintage A's over Coated Ambassador
Bass: Coated PS3 batter and Smooth White Ambassador reso with feltsrips.

My first kit was a 68 Ludwig. Congrats man.

If you're trying to go extra dry on that shell you cant go wrong with Remo CS Dot batters. Maybe even the coated dots. I'd stick to the Ambassador/G1/equivalent for the resonant.

Thanks guys, I got a good deal on it or at least I think it I did. Paid $450 it's a three piece 20, 12, 16 I think. Really good condition. Now I'm trying to find the proper Ludwig snare to match it.

What's the difference between the Remo Ambassadors and the Vintage A's?

Thanks guys, I got a good deal on it or at least I think it I did. Paid $450 it's a three piece 20, 12, 16 I think. Really good condition. Now I'm trying to find the proper Ludwig snare to match it.

What's the difference between the Remo Ambassadors and the Vintage A's?
The Vintage Amb's are two thin plies and not a single 10 mil ply like modern Amb's.
http://remo.com/portal/products/6/50/702/specs.html
The reason why I like the Ambassador-X is because it has a warm punch that is in between a modern Amb and a Vintage Amb.

Last edited:

I'd offer my c.1970 Supra 400 snare but it's the only thing that offsets the regret I've had since selling the kit. Everyone has to maintain a Supra in their collection right?

Pics of the kit?

I'd offer my c.1970 Supra 400 snare but it's the only thing that offsets the regret I've had since selling the kit. Everyone has to maintain a Supra in their collection right?

Pics of the kit?

You sold the standards? I'll try and get some up in a few weeks I've gotta move some stuff around. They are the Ruby Red color really neat looking.

yeah the kit was a four piece with a snare that was a few years junior to the kit going by the badge. Toms and bass stamped Mar 1968. I sold it after a couple years and "upgraded" to a nine piece 90s Pearl Export. I had good reasons but I still feel like that one one of my stupid kid moves way back when. Wish I still had that kit.

That finish sounds very similar. Mine was a deep ruby red sparkle.

yeah the kit was a four piece with a snare that was a few years junior to the kit going by the badge. Toms and bass stamped Mar 1968. I sold it after a couple years and "upgraded" to a nine piece 90s Pearl Export. I had good reasons but I still feel like that one one of my stupid kid moves way back when. Wish I still had that kit.

That finish sounds very similar. Mine was a deep ruby red sparkle.

Haha I gave away a Pearl Masterworks to a church in South Africa, i always feel like that was one of my stupid kid moves. But I guess I felt like God wanted me to.

Last edited:
Back