Differences between Yamaha DTX500 & DTXplorer?

funkywrench

I'm looking at getting an entry level electronic drum kit. I'm leaning towards either buying either a used Yamaha DTXplorer or forking out a little extra and getting a new DTX500.

I'm located in Australia and the DTXplorer kits seem to go for $400-600 used, whereas if I buy a DTX500 I can get one shipped to my door from a German website for a little over $600.

Ideally I'd like to spend as little as possible since I'm primarily a guitarist that would like to dabble in drums for fun. Having two young kids means I'm restricted in volume (hence the e-kit) and time so I'm also worried that it may end up being one of those impulse buys that collects dust. Since I've never played drums it'd also be unlikely that I'd be looking to upgrade any time soon.

So finally to my question, it would seems obvious that I should go for the DTX500 since they are not much more than a used DTXplorer but I'd like to know what the differences are between the two since I'm still trying to spend as little as possible.

They seem to use the exact same models of pads and rack so is it only the module that has changed between the two? Are there any significant upgrades between the modules?

Are there any other brands/models that I should consider within a similar price range (keeping in mind that I'm in Australia)?

When the DTX-500 came out the advertising implied it was an improvement over the older DTXplorer. Just in case its true, get the newer one unless there is a really super deal on an explorer in good condition, which there may well be as people tend to upgrade all the time and sell their old gear.

The pads are identical, the module in the DTX500 has updated and more sounds and is better in my view

Though I warn you yamaha black rubber pads are NOT silent then still make quite a tapping noise!

The white pads Yamaha sell are much quieter and better but they cost more!

ddrum module1 or dxt eplorer 1 or dm10?

hi, question about ddrum module 1: can we put the sound we want to each pad? or it's only presets kits? for exemple drum sound on the ride... is there good electronic sounds to play pure electronic music the choice is large? good immitation of synthesizer sound? (drum and bass i don't care i do this with an acoustic would only use the module for electronic sounds) should i rather choose the yamaha dxt explorer for that use? thanks

Back