(Very) Light Weight Stands...

Drummer707

I've had it! Each of my DW cymbal stands must weigh 30 lbs each...
I would like to replace my hardware with really light, easy to carry stands.
Can anyone recommend ?

Thanks,
Brian

i use gibraltar single braced flat based stands. unbelievably light (can carry 3 in one hand) and very strong (19" & 20" crashes, 22" ride). plus, i like the vintage look. i havent tried their boom stand yet...

I went through the same thing, man. I ended up going with Yamaha 600 series stands. Not only are they really light, but they met my other pre-qualification of being very small when they are fully colapsed. Also, I use splash cymbal clamps to mount additional cymbals off of those...those are REALLY light!

Last edited:
Yea right? I have a Pearl Snare Stand that could hold a Ford F250. Unfortunately there are more important places for my dough

http://http://images.google.com/img...rls=en-us&sa=N&um=1&ei=7B04SpKGJZLitAPLqJn-Bg
I've had it! Each of my DW cymbal stands must weigh 30 lbs each...
I would like to replace my hardware with really light, easy to carry stands.
Can anyone recommend ?

Thanks,
Brian

Axis- Cymbal stand http://www.axispercussion.com/vortex_VCS.html

Canopus- Hybrid cymbal stand http://www.canopusdrums.com/en/otherproducts/hardware/cymbalstand/index.html

Sonor- 100 series http://www.sonor.com/pbas/Sonor_FE/...link-n_katid=813&a-quicklink-n_artikelid=2348

Hah! Must be catching...

I am, in fact, on this very quest myself!

I am not only paring down what I 'need' to play a gig, but I'm lightening the load of what I carry. Primarily this change is due to: advancing age (lol) and player maturity (knowing how to do more with less without sacrificing the musicality of the song).

Lately I've been looking for ebay deals on old-school Tama single-braced stuff. I've been able to get some great deals (like $35 SHIPPED) on stands this way. I've even gone so far as to carry an older Tama HP30 pedal and have been looking at the old Camco\Tama pedals. The simplicity of the design which allows the pedal to be folded flat (so to speak), coupled with the light weight and toughness of them makes them a natural replacement for my Iron Cobra (I'm strictly a single pedal player btw).

I have found that using the single braced stuff I have considerably lightened my load and honestly haven't lost ANY functionality of my equipment in the slightest. Now, this may not work for every player out there, but I think many of us who grew up with crappy single-braced stands with very weak tilters (that were little more than sheet metal and a wing nut) should revisit some of the newer single braced stuff by the major players. The back you save may well be yours!

Ironically, I started with all single braced lightweight stuff and I'm returning to single braced lightweight stuff. Hopefully this doesn't mean the end is near!

Another approach is to have fewer stands, but use them more efficiently. Yes, I have very heavy DW 9000 series stands, but I get the most out of them. I have three cymbal stands holding six cymbals, four toms and a cowbell. I see many sets where someone uses a double-braced boom stand to mount a six-inch splash - not a very good use of weight, time or space.

Since you use DW already you may like the light weight stands I use by them. Unfortunately I cannot be sure but I believe they are the 6700 series. Never the less, here are 2 pics below:

nyc-kit.jpg

nyc-kit2.jpg

Hi
Been using light weight DW stands for 4 years...No problems.I move all my stands in one bag with wheels for my whole kit. My goal is in and out of these clubs as quick and painless as possible. I leave my weight stands setup in my home studio. Denis

Haha, it must be catchy because I got sick of it all early LAST YEAR!!

I have Gibraltar and DW flat base stands, and the 7000 series DW single braced stands.

The flat series on both (Gibraltar & DW) can handle 20-21" crashes, and 24" ride cymbals with no problem.

The single braced DW 7000 series will handle anything you want to put on it, and goes as high as the heavy stuff.

What I really like about the DW 7000 stuff is it handles the same load as the bigger stuff, the memory locks are at all the same positions, AND IT WEIGHTS A LOT LESS.

With the flat base stuff, if you carry 3 or 4 crash cymbal stands you will notice a huge difference. If you only carry 2 stands, it'll be like carrying nothing at all.

The single braced DW stuff is a lot lighter than the regular stuff by a pretty noticeable amount as well.
I can easily carry all 4 of my (7000) cymbal stands and it seems like what only 2 of the heavier stands felt like.

I got a couple of the DW 5000 2 leg lighter weight hi hat stands (have kits in 2 locations) too which are great, but if you don't need a 2 leg stand or don't use a double pedal, the 7000 hat stand feels really nice (but it only comes in a 3 leg dang it!!).

I used to play a Gibraltar Liquid Drive hat stand--a GREAT hat stand, but the DW 5000 light weight 2 leg stand WITH the cymbals on it weights LESS than just the Gibraltar stand by a noticeable amount.

Pearl also has a cool single braced stand that goes flat, or can convert to a 'regular' tripod. It's a pretty cool stand and easy to change. It seemed pretty light too.

Good luck in loosing your weight!

Oh yeah, you know what's funny? DW has just put out a HUGE 3 post cymbal stand that weights a freaking TON!!
I wouldn't carry 1 of those things around--even back when I was in the "I don't care, this what I play" phase with a huge kit---it's so dang heavy!!

They also have a bigger stand just UP from the 9000 with a 3/4" boom arm with a huge weight that goes on the end of it!!
WHAT THE HECK COULD YOU POSSIBLY PUT ON A STAND THAT WOULD EVEN NEED THAT??!!??

Well, someone out there is going "awesome!, that's exactly what I needed!!"

Back