14x4?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Just so I can stack my snare on my floor tom in its case, I was thinking of getting a skinnier snare drum.

Just wondering what this size would be like? I was leaning towards wood because I don't want too much volume.

Piccolo snares a bit scarce where I live. I thought 4 would be a better depth than 3 or 3.5...

I built a 4 x 14 and obviously has lots of crack and a high tuning. It can be very loud though when hit accordingly

My Crush Sublime (maple shell) 4x14 has plenty of crack to it. I tune it high and use it as a side snare. Though I see no problem using it as your primary snare.

Last edited:
If I could only have two snare drums of different sizes it would be a 4 X 14" and a 6.5 X 14". No question about it.

My favorite two 4 X 14" snares: Legend Phosphor Bronze (own it) and a Joyful Noise Luminary (on my list).

If you can find one of the Pearl J.R. Robinson snares you might want to give it a swing. They're 4 x 14" maple shell, the same shell as the Masters series, with die-cast rims. I've had really good luck with mine. It's got a pretty wide tuning using just basic Remo Ambassadors, coated batter and clear snare weight resonant. They've been discontinued but they're still out there on ebay and other outlets. Pearl still makes a 4 x 14" but without the cast rims. They're great drums. You might want to look up the Rob Brown snare tuning video out on YouTube. It'll give you a good idea of how these little boogers sound. Rob takes his through a fairly wide tuning range. Good luck with it.

That's a pretty good rap from everyone then. This is for mostly pop music/pop covers so I'm hoping it will have enough body.

I don't like high tuning, more of a medium guy, sometimes low.

The ludwig supralite is pretty cheap but after hearing a yamaha maple custom I think I'm gonna go with maple when I can find one cheap.

That exact snare came up used on gumtree, so I just went and bought it.

I got home late so I only got to play it for 20 minutes. It's very responsive and has a nice tone... I'm not used to skinny snares. It seems really loud too, which isn't exactly what I was going for but we'll see how it pans out.

Attachments

• maple.JPG
    maple.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 269
  • photo 1 (6).JPG
    photo 1 (6).JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 224
DRe,
Those are really nice snares, particularly nice for brush playing IMHO. Yamaha snares are really underrated. My 5.5 x 14 Swirl Black Club Vustom is my favourite ply shell snare. What genre of music are you planning to use it with ?
For a versatile sound on these 14 x 4 snares, I really like the Evans 360 Reverse Powercenter batters.

Just pop/fusion stuff, Rick, I can't play brushes or jazz to save my life.

I know you've owned just about everything at least once so you're a trustworthy source. I've collected a few metal snares but lately I've been right into my saturn snare so I think I'm entering a wood phase. I have a few new coated ambassadors ready to go but I would go for a hd dry.

I'll know more tomorrow, I've barely touched it at this stage.

If I could only have two snare drums of different sizes it would be a 4 X 14" and a 6.5 X 14". No question about it.

My favorite two 4 X 14" snares: Legend Phosphor Bronze (own it) and a Joyful Noise Luminary (on my list).

My Legend Phosphor Bronze 4x14 snare is so versatile. It can cover low and gritty all the way up to high and cracky with choking. It is super sensitive too. I love playing that snare as my main.

That exact snare came up used on gumtree, so I just went and bought it.

I got home late so I only got to play it for 20 minutes. It's very responsive and has a nice tone... I'm not used to skinny snares. It seems really loud too, which isn't exactly what I was going for but we'll see how it pans out.

The distance between the lugs and hoops is delightful!!

I think maybe some S-Hoops would open up that baby a little more :) nice looking shell. I notice going between my 13x5 and 13x6 that the 5 always just feels more connected to me.

Thanks Porter. I think it looks good too. I changed the head on it today, I can't believe the condition it's in for an '04 model (I looked up the serial). It's like brand new. Also measured the shell from bearing edge to bearing edge and it's 4.25". It tunes low and high and sounds great.. The biggest difference I perceive between this and my other (deeper) snares is the shockwave isn't as dramatic.. You don't feel the sound hitting you as much. But all the volume is there and the rimshots have more crack.

I took it to a gig, it's a champ of a snare. Don't know what else to say really...

I might try and remove those silly gate things that attach to the reso Hoo and go over the snare wires. I don't know what they're called.

i73p1f.jpg

1397054239.jpg

You'd be in good company.

My Keller shell 14 x 4 home build or home assembly as it were.

Attachments

• CIMG1526.JPG
    CIMG1526.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 154
Back