Brushbook "The Complete Guide To Playing Brushes".

FAZ

Hello members of Drummerworld.com!

My name is Florian Alexandru-Zorn.
First I have to say how much I like this website since years! Awsome work and divotion in detail from Mr. Castiglioni!

I wrote a book about brushplaying and here are some free videolessons I wanna share with you.

Let me know what you think about brushes and how you use them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po-r992alQI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQGwj5ZWKa4

Have fun with it and let's start the conversation about brushes!

Last edited:
Hello Florian and welcome to the forum!

I've heard/read great things about your book and look forward to checking it out--hope you have great success with it!

Cool videos, BTW--thanks for sharing.

Hello Spleen!

Thanks for your comment!

Across Europe it's a number 1 seller since 2008 it came out in the states january this year in an english version.

I'm writing the columns about brushes from the September issue of the modern drumer magazine on. every issue comes with a free videolesson so these were the ones for testing....

I'll be playing at this years PASIC too.

Thanks again,
Florian

I'm working on my brush playing at the moment. Great stuff. You've got my interest.

I'm working on developing my phrasing and co-ordination. Trying to make my brush playing sound like brushes and avoiding treating them like sticks. Low volume is a concern for me at the moment too - in a week I have a gig with a flautist that is entirely acoustic. Some of it is in odd times and I'm developing my odd-time phrasing and my uptempo sweep playing.

I'm fairly new to brushes, but it's something I care about a lot. It's always refreshing to see a really good brush player and your videos have some great ideas. I'm out at the moment, but when I get home I'll have a proper look at your website. The videos you've posted up are very good.

Thanks!

That was the point I was starting from.... I played a tour through poland when I was 18 in a duo with a classical guitarist... many oddmeters. So I thought about a concept, that allows me to play everything I could play with sticks but only with brushes...

Hello members of Drummerworld.com!

My name is Florian Alexandru-Zorn.
First I have to say how much I like this website since years! Awsome work and divotion in detail from Mr. Castiglioni!

I wrote a book about brushplaying and here are some free videolessons I wanna share with you.

Let me know what you think about brushes and how you use them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po-r992alQI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQGwj5ZWKa4

Have fun with it and let's start the conversation about brushes!

I think I am defeintely going to be picking this one up. I've gone through the Bellson book awhile back but would like to expand my brush playing.

the bellson book is awsome!
I love the Clayton cameron too.

my book comes incl. a DVD where you can see every exercise as a topshot and from the front...
I think that's very important for brushplaying - to see everything.

the bellson book is awsome!
I love the Clayton cameron too.

my book comes incl. a DVD where you can see every exercise as a topshot and from the front...
I think that's very important for brushplaying - to see everything.

Welcome to the forum!

I just saw your book reviewed in a magazine and was immediately interested in it. I have just about every other brush technique book/DVD. Ed Thigpen is my hero on brushes (check out the avatar). I'm currently going through Clayton Cameron's book and I'm looking forward to checking out your book soon. Good luck with it.

How did you develop your style? It's definitely a unique approach.

Again, welcome.

Of Course Ed was in increddible brushmaster. I transcribed so much from him!

I did a Msterclass in Paderborn (Drums and Percussion Paderborn festival) last year.
Original it was planned doing a duet with him and as you know he died R.I.P!!!!!

I developed my style with that focus not to learn patterns but to learn to sweep any kind of notes and stickings in any kind of motion (circular, half circular, linear).

So what I did was a kind of to develope a sytem like stick control for brushes.

So I don't have to think about how I would have to change my movement for every kind of musical situation and focus on the important thing: the sound and the music.

I developed my style with that focus not to learn patterns but to learn to sweep any kind of notes and stickings in any kind of motion (circular, half circular, linear).

So I don't have to think about how I would have to change my movement for every kind of musical situation and focus on the important thing: the sound and the music.

Yeah, I'm really digging how you do that Florian. I would think that among other things, sweeping out notes/stickings like you do makes the use of brushes potentially more applicable to a wider variety of musical styles?

I'm curious, have you noticed that developing the skill to do this (sweeping any notes/stickings with any motion) has also had a positive effect on your technique and control when you play with sticks?

Hey Spleen!

Yes I use the brushes in every context where I think the sound fits more likely than with sticks. (of course I'm playing with sticks too ;-).

I gues everything that has to do with rhythm (Conga, Djembe even dancing) will effect your playing with sticks and your whole musical approach to that instrument.

another cool thing you have to think about is that you can play notelength with brushes.

Of Course Ed was in increddible brushmaster. I transcribed so much from him!

I did a Msterclass in Paderborn (Drums and Percussion Paderborn festival) last year.
Original it was planned doing a duet with him and as you know he died R.I.P!!!!!

Very cool. I look forward to checking out you book.

By the way, what have you transcribed from Ed Thigpen? Anything you mind sharing?

So now there's a new video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL7tu4jsjek

have fun with it!

Awesome! I just picked up the Legacy brushes a couple weeks ago. I've been playing around with them to what different kinds of sounds I can get out of the kit with them since the brushes basically have 4 different parts that you can use. Some great ideas there. Thanks.

I am definately picking up your book in a few weeks..
Over the past few months i have been trying to learn how to use brushes properly, and i believe your book will help me achieve what I am looking for in terms of technique and application..
Very exited to start working on it..

Florian, this stuff is wonderful!

I've recently got into a brush playing; I've watched a lot of Ed, Alan Dawson and Peter Erskine and tried to pick up as many different types of brush stroke possible (as well as tyring to find some of my own). I'll certainly be buying your book :)

Hope you're well,

Kev

I'm curious, have you noticed that developing the skill to do this (sweeping any notes/stickings with any motion) has also had a positive effect on your technique and control when you play with sticks?

I gues everything that has to do with rhythm (Conga, Djembe even dancing) will effect your playing with sticks and your whole musical approach to that instrument.

Thanks Florian--I suppose I should have been a little more specific: I was particularly curious about the effect (if any) of having developed exceptional horizontal control (i.e., sweeping in both directions) with brushes in addition to the vertical (up and down) strokes that would most often be used with sticks. My hunch is that the ability/control to "sweep out" single and double strokes (horizontally) might enhance...I don't know, fluidity?...when playing with sticks?

(Sorry if I'm not making sense--I just read what I wrote and I'm not even sure that I understand what the hell I'm talking about. ;-)

In any case, I appreciate your answer, a reminder of the interconnected threads of rhythm that weave in and out of all territories of life.

My best to you!

spleen

Bump....

You've got me completely and totally sold on checking your book out!

Back