Anyone use Bandmix?

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I set up a profile there with photos, a video and sound clips. I've had some good hits and a jam session Friday with a bassist and keyboardist I met there. You can join for free and see all the profiles, but to contact anyone, you need to pay $10 a month fee, which is very reasonable.

I've had more success on Bandmix in a week than Craiglist in years. For reasons I don't fully understand, I think the $10 a month fee weeds out anyone with a drug problem, ankle monitoring bracelet or acne. If you are tired to dealing with Craigslist people, I strongly urge Bandmix.

you have quite an eclectic mix of instruments and influences! all the way from santiera to "80's butt rock"!

I think the $10 a month fee weeds out anyone with a drug problem, ankle monitoring bracelet or acne.

haha... I'm not sure what that means... but it made me laugh.

oh wait... nevermind, i get it now. you mean kids... i thought it was just a random dislike of yours.

i tried bandmix, but this is a funny state for musicians. craigslist if only used but people who feel the need to complain about everything and anything, it's virtually worthless for anything else. bandmix has some musicians but not a whole lot. in order to really make any connections or meet other musicians your best bet is socializing with other bands. i've met more musicians hanging out in the studio and going to shows in the past 2 months then what i've ever seen post on bandmix and craigslist in the past few years.

but i've noticed we're odd compared to how the rest of the country really works, dunno why...

i tried bandmix, but this is a funny state for musicians. craigslist if only used but people who feel the need to complain about everything and anything, it's virtually worthless for anything else. bandmix has some musicians but not a whole lot. in order to really make any connections or meet other musicians your best bet is socializing with other bands. i've met more musicians hanging out in the studio and going to shows in the past 2 months then what i've ever seen post on bandmix and craigslist in the past few years.

but i've noticed we're odd compared to how the rest of the country really works, dunno why...

What state are you in?

Bandmix doesn't have the volume of Craigslist, but it doesn't have the douchebags either, at least so far in my experience. Agreed, just going out on the music scene has its advantages. It's kind of like a dating service. You put yourself out there in a place - online or IRL - for others who are looking.

Fuo, yes, I was talking about diaper punks.

I have a free profile up there but haven't used it much. I'm sure it's assumed that I have acne or I'm hooked on crank. I may not need it for a while but I'll definitely go full-bore when I do and see if I get more results.

So far, I think 2-3 people have contacted me there and they all clearly had an acne problem.

What state are you in?

Bandmix doesn't have the volume of Craigslist, but it doesn't have the douchebags either, at least so far in my experience. Agreed, just going out on the music scene has its advantages. It's kind of like a dating service. You put yourself out there in a place - online or IRL - for others who are looking.

Fuo, yes, I was talking about diaper punks.

i'm in colorado. craigslist or bandmix doesn't have a very large volume for here at all, we've had a lot of people move here expecting craigslist to be like every other state and end up getting flamed and then coming back telling everybody there how their all immature punks and need to learn. half the people flaming aren't even musicians and the trolls out number honest users 1000 to 1 so it's basically become a joke to real musicians. last time i was on craigslist there was a bar putting out an ad for band to play and i swear there were 200 re's right after it saying your bar sucks, your cheap, your sound guy sucks, this sucks, that sucks, any band who plays there sucks.

bandmix isn't bad. i think the cost keeps the flaming trolls at bay but still not a ton of musicians on there for what we have in this state. i think they just got used to doing it the old fashioned way and actually going out and meeting people thats it's just become easier to keep doing it that way.

if you went by whats posted on the internet we have one of the worst music scenes ever but you go out and see it for yourself there are thousands of really good bands all over the place and even more really cool musicians. granted we have more then our share of egotistical "diaper punks" who need to spend a little more time learning their instrument and less time claiming to be pro...

i'm in colorado. craigslist or bandmix doesn't have a very large volume for here at all, we've had a lot of people move here expecting craigslist to be like every other state and end up getting flamed and then coming back telling everybody there how their all immature punks and need to learn. half the people flaming aren't even musicians and the trolls out number honest users 1000 to 1 so it's basically become a joke to real musicians. last time i was on craigslist there was a bar putting out an ad for band to play and i swear there were 200 re's right after it saying your bar sucks, your cheap, your sound guy sucks, this sucks, that sucks, any band who plays there sucks.

bandmix isn't bad. i think the cost keeps the flaming trolls at bay but still not a ton of musicians on there for what we have in this state. i think they just got used to doing it the old fashioned way and actually going out and meeting people thats it's just become easier to keep doing it that way.

if you went by whats posted on the internet we have one of the worst music scenes ever but you go out and see it for yourself there are thousands of really good bands all over the place and even more really cool musicians. granted we have more then our share of egotistical "diaper punks" who need to spend a little more time learning their instrument and less time claiming to be pro...

Doing it the old fashioned way takes more time than I have, unfortunately. Bandmix is kind of like a dating service - you can see who's looking to hook up, what they're like, what they dislike, what they've done, etc. Of course, everyone makes themselves look as good as they can, so you actually need to jam with the person, find out about their reputation and music history. On the flip side, there could be many really great musicians available who aren't on Bandmix, so only way to find them is to get out and be present in the scene.

Craigslist has descended into a daycare of drooling, slack-jawed idiots and mouth breathers. Every now and then a flame war erupts much like you describe. It will repulse any normal, talented person.

I put together a band with a bass player that was a member,still had to kiss a lot of frogs so to speak,but eventually we got some good people/musicians.The general quality of players was better than on craigslist and other free papers etc.

This was in the Atlanta area so there was a lot of people on there,and we got a lot of responses,and for a pay service there were a lot of people on there that just wanted to play/jam informally.

I put a profile up on Bandmix maybe 6 weeks ago, no pictures or soundclips (though if i had any i wouldve put them up...) and a couple weeks after that i got contacted by a guy who says he was trying to start a band fitting exactly what type of music i want to play. So i go over, and find out the guy actually has his own home-studio type thing, a really nice drumset (besides cymbals, but that can be fixed) and when we started playing everything went surprisingly great. So, the band im in now, i met through Bandmix.

Craigslist is very slow on activity. I advertised for bass and got contacted mostly by people too far out to commute to. Only twice did it manifest. Both were startups. One had a top guitar player. The other band I practiced with until a really active band asked me to join them as a drummer.

Back