Removing wires from Premier Royal Ace?

johnwesley

Silver Member
I need to change the snare side head on this early 60s Royal ACE and am not exactly sure how to remove/replace the snare wires. Anyone have any experience/know how with these flobeam critters?

Attachments

• premier ace.jpg
    premier ace.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 802
  • premier ace 3.jpg
    premier ace 3.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 559
  • premier ace 2.jpg
    premier ace 2.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 545
  • premier ace 4.jpg
    premier ace 4.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 495
I have a similar setup on my 1971 Premier 2000. I read online in another forum it is a real PITA and if you can not to screw with the wires by removal. So I removed the old snare side head and 'snuck' a new snare side head in underneath the wires, holding them up with a drumstick, loosened of course.

Nice snare, that is supposed to be a real classic.

Thanks Louis. I too had a Premier 2000, but the mounting was different than the Royal Ace which is actually 2 10 wire strands which seem to "clip" on rather than screw on like the 2000. Maybe I'll give her the old "Louis" style under the wires method. Thanks again.

oh i see. that sounds even more complex with 2 strands.
man that is a really nice wood snare, love the look of that warm maple under there (or what appears to be maple).

Owned a Super Ace and a Royal Ace over the last couple of years. The wires just clip in and out, very easily. 'Hook' on/off might be a more accurate term, in fact.

You should be able to loosen the wire tension with the throw of as normal, and then un-chook them from their position at either end. Rest of the head change proceeds as normal.

Peace :)

oh i see. that sounds even more complex with 2 strands.
man that is a really nice wood snare, love the look of that warm maple under there (or what appears to be maple).

It really is and sounds great although at its age, it is a bit quieter than newer snare drums. The wrap is a bit deceptive because it faded a lot. Was a bright blue but now more grey. I love it that way though since it shows how well its made to last over 50 years. BTW Mr. O.T.,....is that a cast on your arm?

Owned a Super Ace and a Royal Ace over the last couple of years. The wires just clip in and out, very easily. 'Hook' on/off might be a more accurate term, in fact.

You should be able to loosen the wire tension with the throw of as normal, and then un-chook them from their position at either end. Rest of the head change proceeds as normal.

Peace :)

That's kinda what I figured after staring at it a while. Guess I'm just a bit nervous that I might not be able to clip the wires back on. BUT...nothing ventured...nothing gained. Thanks for the info.

I appreciate your apprehension! They are most unusual. Few things are 100% in life, I suppose - but for the record, I never had any issues unhooking and re-hooking them when necessary :)

That's kinda what I figured after staring at it a while. Guess I'm just a bit nervous that I might not be able to clip the wires back on. BUT...nothing ventured...nothing gained. Thanks for the info.

Back