DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:45 AM

Default Click Track in Live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ukitbLI2C4
At about 2:15 JJ presses play on a mixer (?). That's a click track he's starting right? Do professional drummers generally use a click track in situations like this? (live playing to be officially released)
Old 06-08-2012, 12:52 AM
plangentmusic

Default Re: Click Track in Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimem View Post
At about 2:15 JJ presses play on a mixer (?). That's a click track he's starting right? Do professional drummers generally use a click track in situations like this? (live playing to be officially released)
It's being used more and more -- even in club and wedding bands. And in the studio it's used 90% of the time. Bottom line -- ya gotta groove with a click.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't say "generally" across all bands, but as mentioned, it is very common for bands to use a click live.

I've played live to click in numerous bands myself.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:15 AM

I could never play to a click live. If the crowd is really into a song we're playing, I'll push up the tempo a bit. It isn't unusual for us to rig ear buds to the bass amp and run an extension so I can keep perfect lock with our bassist.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:45 AM
plangentmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SticksEasy View Post
I could never play to a click live. If the crowd is really into a song we're playing, I'll push up the tempo a bit. It isn't unusual for us to rig ear buds to the bass amp and run an extension so I can keep perfect lock with our bassist.
That's what separates a band from sounding professional and a band that sounds like a bar band. I'm not saying that as a put down -- it's very normal. But instead of defending it, you may way to correct it. In the long run you'll learn how to build intensity without rushing.

Plus, you can't depend on the bass player to keep you in sync. And as a bassist myself I can tell you that would drive me crazy. I want a drummer who is strong so I can do my thing. If a drummer were leaning on me and I had to keep him in line, I'd find another drummer.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:06 AM
Silver Member

Well, i'm sure everyone on this forum kbows how I feel about clicks by now.

If you can groove to a click it's going to improve the overall sound and presentation of the song in my opinion.

Think of band practise, you may push the tempo a tiny bit to build intensity (which I hate) but live, you're excited and the adrenaline is going and you're probably pushing the tempo way further than you think. Try recording your gigs and watching them back, you'll be suprised.

So I think clicks are great though i understand they don't always improve things depending on what style you play.
Jazz drummer don't seem impressed with clicks on here and I can understand that.

Most music would benefit in my opinion though, from using a click.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:03 AM
Silver Member

Playing jazz to a click, I like to set the metronome up in half time and think of it as the 2 and 4. That helps keep it a little loose for me.

Granted, I have never used a click outside of the practice room and one demo recording I've been on...

Last edited by NerfLad; 06-08-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:25 AM
Gold Member

If you aren't using backing tracks, they can be more trouble than they are worth for touring bands. The entire band needs in-ears. Unless you want the drummer to count all his rests on the hats or stick clicks,everyone has to be on the click.Most support bands don't have the luxury of adequate line checks,much less monitor sound checks.Almost every gig is a "throw and go". The less there is that COULD go wrong,the better off you are are.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:36 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
If you aren't using backing tracks, they can be more trouble than they are worth for touring bands. The entire band needs in-ears. Unless you want the drummer to count all his rests on the hats or stick clicks,everyone has to be on the click.Most support bands don't have the luxury of adequate line checks,much less monitor sound checks.Almost every gig is a "throw and go". The less there is that COULD go wrong,the better off you are are.

toured with a click in my ears for years

never once had a problem besides once when my in ears crapped out on me ...I just crabbed the back up pair and carried on

our show was very calculated ....I had the click programmed accounting for all interludes and little extended intros and everything

it kept the set very tight and pretty much exactly the same length every night

for the last tour that band did in 2009 I gave up the click and that was fine to.....just a bit more of a relaxed loose feel to the set
Old 06-08-2012, 03:48 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post

never once had a problem besides once when my in ears crapped out on me ...I just crabbed the back up pair and carried on

our show was very calculated ....I had the click programmed accounting for all interludes and little extended intros and everything

for the last tour that band did in 2009 I gave up the click and that was fine to.....just a bit more of a relaxed loose feel to the set
the entire band was on the click?
Old 06-08-2012, 03:48 AM
Silver Member

I use a click 99.8 percent of the time. This is what I have noticed, when get someone listening to them self and not the big picture it can be a challenge and a pain in the ass. When that happens is the person doing that is out of synch. Playing with a click when the whole band has great time and knows how to fall back on the tempo, the click no issue at all and you can focus on kicking a rock solid groove. When the band has bad timing and poor listening skills, I would not use a click.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 06-08-2012, 03:57 AM
Silver Member

Yeah, it's like if your band can play to a click then one isn't really necessary.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:59 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
the entire band was on the click?
just me
Old 06-08-2012, 04:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've used clicks live in several bands. In each band, only I had the click.

As long as everyone is locked into me, everything is fine. And of course, even if I wasn't using a click, they should be locked into me anyway, so, really not that different.

I did maintain a kill switch just in case using a simple foot switch, but I never really had a problem.

I know plenty of pros use use clicks live with pretty much everyone they play and tour with, opening act or not.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:57 AM

Personally I hate playing to a click. Even in practice.

I know that's really taboo and to be honest it probably shows. But I like playing at a groove that just feels right rather than exactly 80 or exactly 120. 124 feels nicer to me.

The rest of my band don't play to a tempo. We just kinda, feel it. Pick a speed and go. Also allows changing tempo and timing much easier as there's no crazy maths happening to fit everything into a bar.

I know that means I'm less attractive in a studio but meh.

I CAN play to a click if needed, I just don't want to or prefer not to xD
Old 06-08-2012, 12:01 PM

So why, as a drummer, not use a click track always (rehearsals, small gigs etc.) ? Unless someone feels really uncomfortable playing to one (a skill he should work on either way) I don't see a reason not to. It's not like it would be that expensive to be able to run a click track through some headphones just for you. So why don't we do it then?
Old 06-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, click tracks are becoming more and more common. Sometimes it's because the band has some backing tracks they play along with (backing vocals, keyboard pathes, percussion, whatever) and sometimes it's just to keep the tempo consistent.

We use click tracks live in both my bands. It's so easy to play a song live and think you're in the groove, but then you listen back to a recording and it was just horrendously fast, so click tracks have really helped us delegate the tempo issue and allow us to focus much more on the groove and the song itself.

Quote:
Well, only band members who have parts that don't feature drums will need to hear the click (which in our case means only the guitar player needs it). And you don't have to have full in-ear monitoring either; we just use the in-ears for the click track and then use normal monitors for hearing ourselves and the rest of the band. In other words, the click track doesn't even need to be sent to the FOH desk; I can just run it straight to the guitarist's in-ear amp.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:31 PM
plangentmusic

Quote:

Yeah, but I bet all those performances with a click made the band damn tight even without it..
Old 06-08-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
So why, as a drummer, not use a click track always (rehearsals, small gigs etc.) ? Unless someone feels really uncomfortable playing to one (a skill he should work on either way) I don't see a reason not to. It's not like it would be that expensive to be able to run a click track through some headphones just for you. So why don't we do it then?
We do!
I add a programmable metronome to my mix (or all by itself for rehearsals) for every performance.

One additional benefit: When the guitarist (or anyone) starts saying "We usually play that song much faster/slower" I'm able to end the argument because I write down the tempos we decide on for each song. I then program them into my metronome, so I keep track of it all.

Frequently, the discussion goes like this:

Band member- "Wow, that seemed fast. What tempo was it?"
Me- "146"
Band member- "How fast were we playing it last week?"
Me- "146"
Band member- "Oh, okay. Sounds good!"

\,,/
Old 06-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by plangentmusic View Post
Yeah, but I bet all those performances with a click made the band damn tight even without it..
yeah it definitely did......we were always super tight

we took a lot of pride in being extremely tight

we were a power trio known for being loud, aggressive, and dead on tight

sometimes I miss playing as loud as we did ...and pouring as much energy out as All Parallels did every night

but truth be told ....all the years of playing in a signed band , touring, putting out records.....Im making more money now as a hired gun

I do often miss the brotherhood.....but dont miss sleeping in the van

thats a young mans game :)

I also feel Ive become a much better drummer since that bad ended

sorry..... tangent alert

Last edited by Anthony Amodeo; 06-08-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Boyd View Post
One additional benefit: When the guitarist (or anyone) starts saying "We usually play that song much faster/slower" I'm able to end the argument because I write down the tempos we decide on for each song. I then program them into my metronome, so I keep track of it all.

Frequently, the discussion goes like this:

Band member- "Wow, that seemed fast. What tempo was it?"
Me- "146"
Band member- "How fast were we playing it last week?"
Me- "146"
Band member- "Oh, okay. Sounds good!"
Oh man, yes. I've had that exact exchange so many times :-)
Old 06-08-2012, 06:20 PM

I would NEVER play to a click live, even if it is being recorded for DVD release. Live shows are about energy and PERFORMING. I believe to put on a GOOD show you have to be able to let the energy in the room take over, not be a systematic machine listening to the click. That's not to say it cannot be done and perform, but I feel I present way more without it. Our band rehearses endlessly with and without a click to ensure we are tight and comfortable. By the time we play live we have got it down and just want to put on one hell of a show. I don't know if it is very prominent to use one live, but I do know of a few people that have. My feelings, NEVER.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvymtlmike View Post
I would NEVER play to a click live, even if it is being recorded for DVD release. Live shows are about energy and PERFORMING. I believe to put on a GOOD show you have to be able to let the energy in the room take over, not be a systematic machine listening to the click. That's not to say it cannot be done and perform, but I feel I present way more without it. Our band rehearses endlessly with and without a click to ensure we are tight and comfortable. By the time we play live we have got it down and just want to put on one hell of a show. I don't know if it is very prominent to use one live, but I do know of a few people that have. My feelings, NEVER.
a good drummer is not a slave to a click.... simply accompanied by it

you never "listen " to the click....EVER....

if you are listening to the click you are not ready to play with a click yet

you don't play TO a click....you play WITH a click...if you are playing TO it you are a slave

I toured with a band for nearly a decade and we prided ourselves on energy and performance and our energy took over may a rooms across this great country ......for at least 7 of those 9 years we performed with me using a click.

never hindered us once....just kept adrenaline in check and kept the show consistent night after night

nothing worse than listening to a bands record then seeing them live and they play the song 20 BPM faster.....sounds horrible and unrelaxed
Old 06-08-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
a good drummer is not a slave to a click.... simply accompanied by it

you never "listen " to the click....EVER....

if you are listening to the click you are not ready to play with a click yet

you don't play TO a click....you play WITH a click...if you are playing TO it you are a slave

I toured with a band for nearly a decade and we prided ourselves on energy and performance and our energy took over may a rooms across this great country ......for at least 7 of those 9 years we performed with me using a click.

never hindered us once....just kept adrenaline in check and kept the show consistent night after night

nothing worse than listening to a bands record then seeing them live and they play the song 20 BPM faster.....sounds horrible and unrelaxed
It's not that I feel like a slave to it, I rarely practice without it. I think it comes down to purely a comfort thing. I have been using a click for years, no problems whatsoever, got that covered. It's a choice, neither superior to the other. Just because a band uses a click does not mean their performance will be better and vice versa. My choice is to go without the click, mostly a mental thing. As far as playing the songs 20 bpm faster live, we don't really have that problem. As I said we rehearse A LOT with a click and without making sure we can can keep ourselves in check with the tempo. We have become pretty decent at controlling it. With that self control that I have worked endlessly on, I don't need a click live. As I said in my original statement, just my belief. I know people that have used it personally, some liked it others stoppped it.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvymtlmike View Post
It's not that I feel like a slave to it, I rarely practice without it. I think it comes down to purely a comfort thing. I have been using a click for years, no problems whatsoever, got that covered. It's a choice, neither superior to the other. Just because a band uses a click does not mean their performance will be better and vice versa. My choice is to go without the click, mostly a mental thing. As far as playing the songs 20 bpm faster live, we don't really have that problem. As I said we rehearse A LOT with a click and without making sure we can can keep ourselves in check with the tempo. We have become pretty decent at controlling it. With that self control that I have worked endlessly on, I don't need a click live. As I said in my original statement, just my belief. I know people that have used it personally, some liked it others stoppped it.
thats my point

if someone NEEDS a click live they definitely should not be using one live.....or even playing live for that matter

I know a lot of drummers who use a click live....not one of them uses it because they NEED it

if you NEED one live it means you NEED practice

...but I understand all your points and totally agree
Old 06-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Gold Member

I think its great and yes tempo can get carried away too easy. I also highly recommend in ear monitors. Everyone had them in my last band. We sounded tight with them.
Session Work
Old 06-08-2012, 11:23 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Been using a click, sequence, or guide-track since 1985 on tour. No loss of energy, no stiffness, just great feels (according to everyone who's ever reviewed the show or commented to us.)

I'm always in-ear (phones, actually) and the band plays to me without any synch issues. There are a few occasions where a click and/or countoff also runs to the guitar player who starts a few songs, so that I'm not counting off a song for him, then not playing at the top.

But not every song we do is to a click, and that's fine as well. It's all just drumming and music, whether we're in perfect time, or playing 'wild'.

I don't use clicks in any of my local bands, although one of them does require each song to start at a pre-determined tempo, so I use 'nome gauge my countoff, turn it off, and count us in. I'm fine keeping us in time after that. But none of these bands are doing shows, with video and some percussion & horns to synch up to. It's a lot less critical for a band to vary a bit, as long as they are making every sound, and there are no visuals tied to the music.

Bermuda
Old 12-29-2012, 12:33 PM

99% of the time I play with the click other than the 1% of spontaneous singing that happens at church...
The click becomes a part of the song and soon is unheard in the bargain...

I became a 'click' fan and the band got a lot more fans... lol! we got so tight and pro in the process...
I'm now looking for ways to include this click in my IEM solutions.

PS. if the drummer can play with the click the rest of the band needn't in turn he becomes the click LOL
Old 12-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Click doesn't seem to affect JJ in any adverse way. Grooving like a freight train.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:41 AM

I hate playing without a click. I like it for the confidence and consistency. Being able to play in solid time doesn't change the fact that your mood or substance intake of another band member will drag the show down or rush it like crazy. When people are down or not in the zone, they'll rush or drag drastically without the click. There have been times when I was super bummed out on a gig night, and the click saved my life. I know this cause everything would feel super super fast, but I knew it was right. Listening to the video the next week proved this. If you're excited, it'll go the other way, or heaven forbid a band member gets ahold of some explicit substance making him go off the rails.