DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:23 AM

Default Re: What are your Drumming Prejudices?

My drumming pet-peeve is when people talk down on people like Phil Rudd or Steve Jordan because they aren't doing tons of fills or complicated linear grooves.

"He's not doing anything difficult... HE SUCKS!"

No. You suck.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:11 AM

Drummers for pop artists and the like. For some reason, i get mad that these guys get to play for such a major artist and they play the standard rock beat and thats it. I just cant accept the fact that these guys are getting top of the line gigs and all they need to do is play the first thing they ever learned. I always think they should play something a little more complicated or interesting, something that indicates proficiency for the drum set.

Then i realize that their timing and confidence is impeccable. I quickly realize that i have a long way to go :D
Old 11-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Drummers for pop artists and the like. For some reason, i get mad that these guys get to play for such a major artist and they play the standard rock beat and thats it. I just cant accept the fact that these guys are getting top of the line gigs and all they need to do is play the first thing they ever learned. I always think they should play something a little more complicated or interesting, something that indicates proficiency for the drum set.

Then i realize that their timing and confidence is impeccable. I quickly realize that i have a long way to go :D
Those kind of drummers (like Jonathan Moffet and Aaron Spears) are awesome and get paid lots of cash for those kind of gigs...

...and don't think that because the pop song on the record has a drum machine that the live drummer will drum as stale and tasteless as the drum machine.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:44 PM

Drummers who can't seem to figure out how to close their hihats. Sure ir sounds good if your doing a heavy foor on the floor thing. But when you play 16th notes it sounds horrible.

I also hate when I see a drummer who sticks exclusively to one series of cymbal, like they buy them for the logo rather than the sound.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:47 AM

My biggest pet peeve is drummers who can't count - and they're everywhere! Sometimes after shows the drummers from the other bands will ask me how I played so well and I look at them and say "Practice." or "I count." They never get it.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:06 AM

Drummers who don't consider bass drum sound. There are a few guys I saw perform at my local bar who wanted to keep noise levels down (good!) by using rods (not bad) but forgot to play the bass drum softer (uh oh!). The net result was in stead of BOOM - PA - BOOM - PA you heard BOOM - pok - BOOM - pok.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:37 AM

Drummers, well any musician, that looks down on any other musician for any reason. There is no reason for one to care about another's angles or whats in someone else's bass drum. But that's just my opinion. I can't comprehend all the hate.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:54 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah. Some of you guys are awfully picky for drummers lol.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:16 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkenyon View Post
Ok, apologies in advance for offending anyone, but it's Sabian cymbals!!! I have no idea why anyone would choose them over Zildjian or Paiste... I just don't understand what they are hearing.
Sabian and Zildjian are both made from the same original recipe.

After Avedis Zildjian III died in 1979, Armand became Chairman of the Board. This eventually led to a family feud and a legal dispute between Robert and Armand that resulted in Robert leaving Zildjian to form the rival Sabian company. The settlement gave Robert Zildjian the Canadian factory that had been producing the K. Zildjian line.
The professional-grade cymbals manufactured by both companies use the same bronze alloy consisting of 80% copper, 20% tin and traces of silver, the differences depend on the individual cymbal models.
Robert Zildjian formed the word "Sabian" from the two first letters of the names of his three children Sally, Bill and Andy and initially released two lines of cymbals, HH and AA both of them of the traditional bell bronze alloy.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
Sabian and Zildjian are both made from the same original recipe.

After Avedis Zildjian III died in 1979, Armand became Chairman of the Board. This eventually led to a family feud and a legal dispute between Robert and Armand that resulted in Robert leaving Zildjian to form the rival Sabian company. The settlement gave Robert Zildjian the Canadian factory that had been producing the K. Zildjian line.
The professional-grade cymbals manufactured by both companies use the same bronze alloy consisting of 80% copper, 20% tin and traces of silver, the differences depend on the individual cymbal models.
Robert Zildjian formed the word "Sabian" from the two first letters of the names of his three children Sally, Bill and Andy and initially released two lines of cymbals, HH and AA both of them of the traditional bell bronze alloy.
A very nice history lesson indeed. I did not know the full back story. This guy has obviously never heard a 19" AA Xplosion crash.

As far as a drumming prejudice goes? It would have to be any studio or drummer that can't maintain their drum set(s) properly. I don't really care what it looks like. I like a beautiful set as much as anyone, but functionality is most important. Letting cymbal cracks go to long, letting heads go too long, not tuning up the set. It's just sad.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:10 AM
Silver Member

My pet pieve are threads like this one.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 04-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold
This message has been deleted by Pocket-full-of-gold.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesdog View Post
My pet pieve are threads like this one.
Scott, you're just old, tainted, stubborn, set in your ways, tasteful, real, & getting it down. What do you know? ;) ;) ;)
Old 04-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

When one's intention clearly isn't on supporting the music and having hang-ups and ego issues about it.

Not talking about skills or experience, but simply if one lacks the focus and respect to do the best for the music and the rest of the band. That's goes for players of any instrument.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Scott, you're just old, tainted, stubborn, set in your ways, tasteful, real, & getting it down. What do you know? ;) ;) ;)
Thanks Andy, I am not old. I am seasoned.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 04-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

Dont like Black lacquer, Brown fade, Blonde maple, Chinas or Turkish Cymbals

Old 04-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesdog View Post
Thanks Andy, I am not old. I am seasoned.
I keep telling myself that too, lol :) Although the truth is, I'm well into my autumnal stage.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post

Blonde maple,
Turkish Cymbals

Ouch Abe ;) ---------------
Old 04-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Dave Ghrol has been known to make tape "x's" on the reso heads of his toms. Bugs me every time I see it.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
When one's intention clearly isn't on supporting the music and having hang-ups and ego issues about it.

Not talking about skills or experience, but simply if one lacks the focus and respect to do the best for the music and the rest of the band. That's goes for players of any instrument.
I could not agree more. I feel like the only person listening in my band. Everyone else is just playing. Same volume, same level of power, and no one is hanging back.

Players of any genre of music need to take notes from some of Miles Davis's groups or the John Coltrane quartet, or the hundreds of other jazz acts that played with such respect, and communicated so well and stepped back when they were done soloing and let someone else take their turn. This needs to be the way more music is played and understood. Knowing that you're not the only one on stage, and that your selfishness is taking so much out of the music. It becomes much more a combination of sounds all being played at the same time.

I could care less if a drummer is on stage behind a four piece Groove Percussion kit with the funkiest angled toms and the most awkwardly positioned cymbals and the snare drum head is pointed straight at the drummer. I've been to too many shows where drummers who are just insanely talented and musical are playing the most immature looking house kits, or they just don't care about how their kit looks, and it's just what works for them.

That being said, there are a lot of things you should avoid, just to help keep your drums and cymbals and heads and sticks from breaking faster than they already do. Cymbal angle, drum angle, how you hit what parts of what drums with your sticks, digging into your drum heads and not letting the sound escape, tightening your snare cradle all the way, hitting your cymbals at almost a 90 degree angle, and a bunch of other factors help contribute to cymbals cracking, sticks breaking, and the other dozens of problems we've all encountered. (I feel like that paragraph may have been a tad redundant.)
Old 04-09-2012, 04:34 AM

People (nondrummers usually) who see an electric drum kit and say 'Cool Toy'. It's not a toy it's an instrument. Bugs me every time.

"Without drums, life would be a mistake" - Socrates
Old 06-20-2012, 05:41 AM

I'm old school, I'll proudly admit. So here goes:

1) Tilted floor toms. I realize that nowadays, many drummers like a little tilt towards them on their FTs, but if you look at a lot of the older drummers, particularly the jazz and R & B cats, you'll never see that. They're perfectly level. Why? Where do you think they keep their sticks when it's time to quickly change (from brushes or to mallets)? On the floor tom head. If it's tilted, the sticks, brushes or mallets will roll off. I've seen drummers nowadays with a 20-25 degree FT tilt. Makes no sense. And in that regard, give me a FT w/legs. They're supposed to be on the floor, not hanging.

2) The house drummer on those PBS pledge music shows taped in Pittsburgh, whose ride cymbal is like 7 feet in the air and extremely tilted toward him. WTF? Don't tell me that's comfortable, nor does it make a whole lot of difference, sound wise.

3) Not a big fan of flat rack toms. Again, I just don't get it. And if there's more than 2" between 'em-I have another problem.

4) High Hats that are too high and thrones which are too low. It's ergonomics, posture and comfort. And if your back starts hurting, spend the extra dinero on a good throne with a back. Best investment you'll make.

5) Drummers who play w/sticks that are ready for the fireplace. If there are too many chunks in 'em, get rid of 'em.

6) Not a big rack fan either. Way too much stuff to set up.

7) And drummers w/no sense of dynamics. Our band director from Jr. HS used to say "drums are to be felt, and not heard". We used to laugh at that, as young players, but the longer I've played, the more I've come to realize, there's a lot of truth to what he preached to us.

Last edited by Stefan Brodsky; 06-20-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

1) myself

2) my style

3) the way I set up differently to some great players causing me to question my very existence

4) the way everything everyone else does better than me is more appealing to me than the things I do well myself.

5) the fact I struggle to pay for equipment maintenance nevermind get something new for a change

6) dedicating years of my life and still being inferior and crap!

God I hate my life!
Old 06-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky - Hellraizer View Post
1) myself

2) my style

3) the way I set up differently to some great players causing me to question my very existence

4) the way everything everyone else does better than me is more appealing to me than the things I do well myself.

5) the fact I struggle to pay for equipment maintenance nevermind get something new for a change

God I hate my life!
I love this post .... hilarious

a true self loathing artist

:)

Last edited by Anthony Amodeo; 06-20-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:02 PM
plangentmusic

Wow, you guys are picky.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
I love this post .... hilarious

a true self loathing artist

Loved it too... because I can relate so much to Chunky's post :)
Old 06-20-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky - Hellraizer View Post
1) myself

2) my style

Chunky, agreed!

Things that bug me about other drummers are:
1) The Travis Barker set up - So sick of the 4 piece, all flat cymbals, flat, low rack tom, high hi-hat..... It's hard for me not to write off these drummers....
2) Contemporary Christian drumming - To my ear, the "beats" many of these drummers choose to play sound a step above beginner.
3) Drummers that tune only with consideration to the sound behind the kit. This usually leads to over-muffled drums that sound like farts out front.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam! View Post
Chunky, agreed!

Things that bug me about other drummers are:
So sick of the 4 piece, flat, low rack tom, ..... It's hard for me not to write off these drummers....
you'll write off Max?

notice I edited your post to fit my joke

Old 06-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

Drum racks. I hate the look. I know it is probably quicker and easier to set up but to my eyes they look like scaffolding. Eargh!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:40 PM

Equipment rarely offends me, unless its a piece of junk kit that I am forced to sit and listen to.

My biggest problem with drummers these days is the "show off" mentality and the obsession with speed. I worked in the Guitar Center drum department. If you want to learn to hate the sound of the drumset- go work here.
Every single douchebag who ever learned a riff on the drums had to come in and grab some sticks and play his lick as loudly, sloppily, and rapidly as possible. Always in a completely unmusical and obnoxious way.
Drummers seem to suffer from this affliction more. You don't hear singers constantly blathering about how fast they can sing!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:50 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Mercury Drummer View Post
I worked in the Guitar Center drum department.
I am so sorry to hear that

I cant shop there for more than 5 minutes without wanting to rip the sticks out of someones hands and shove them up their.......I mean down their throat

there was this guy Paul who worked in the drum department of the Hollywood GC upstairs and he would stand on the counter whacking a cowbell yelling .....THE AUDITION IS OVER PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!

always loved that
Old 06-20-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I am so sorry to hear that

I cant shop there for more than 5 minutes without wanting to rip the sticks out of someones hands and shove them up their.......I mean down their throat

there was this guy Paul who worked in the drum department of the Hollywood GC upstairs and he would stand on the counter whacking a cowbell yelling .....THE AUDITION IS OVER PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!

always loved that
It was a constant battle in that place. Saturdays were mayhem. There were actually parents that would drop off their little kids in the drum department and say "I'll be back, play the drums!" You've got to be kidding. This isn't a drum practice room.
If a guy came in with his girlfriend, who had never heard him play- forget it. You;'re gonna hear a "Neil Peart Jr." solo for five minutes while he attempts to assimilate every NP riff he's ever heard. Then at the end it's always "Man. I am way out of practice."
Yeah, we could tell. Because you sound like ass.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:55 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
It was a constant battle in that place. Saturdays were mayhem. There were actually parents that would drop off their little kids in the drum department and say "I'll be back, play the drums!" You've got to be kidding. This isn't a drum practice room.
If a guy came in with his girlfriend, who had never heard him play- forget it. You;'re gonna hear a "Neil Peart Jr." solo for five minutes while he attempts to assimilate every NP riff he's ever heard. Then at the end it's always "Man. I am way out of practice."
I envy your patience

I would be locked up for battery
Old 06-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hahaha this is so true!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I feel your pain.

I've worked in four different shops in my life.

Once, while working at GC, I got the store manager to give me permission to take the beaters off of every bass drum pedal for a few days. haha.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:15 AM

The "multi-instrumentalist" who THINKS that he or she can play drums. True, there are the few talented and educated exceptions, but I have found that while many can bang out a beat, strike a cymbal at an appropriate moment and maybe even do a fill that doesn't completely suck, to my ear, their "playing" is "one dimensional" and their approach to rhythm is very "face value" and lacks sophistication and thought....Technique?..Dynamics? ....Very unmusical.

Even when listening to music that incorporates a drum machine, it is often discernable whether a machine was programmed by "multi-instrumentalist"/producer/whatever or a drummer.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
you'll write off Max?

notice I edited your post to fit my joke

WOAH! Wait a second... You're painting me to be the "I hate 4 pieces and jazz" guy. I might as well resign from the forum with that stigma!

In all seriousness... come on, I know you've seen the "Travis Barker" thing...
Old 06-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam! View Post
WOAH! Wait a second... You're painting me to be the "I hate 4 pieces and jazz" guy. I might as well resign from the forum with that stigma!

In all seriousness... come on, I know you've seen the "Travis Barker" thing...
I know what u mean....just havin some fun
Old 06-21-2012, 06:48 PM

[quote=caddywumpus;565006]My drumming prejudices/peeves...
4. 2 of the same-sized bass drums on a kit, tuned the same. (C'mon--they have double
QUOTE]

I have two bass drums, both tuned the same. However, I use a double pedal when gigging.

If I had the room and energy to use the second bass drum when gigging, I would. To me, their is a world of difference between the feel (and sound) of two bass drums vs. one played with a double pedal.