guitarist using "the force"

davor

Hi all, in my band, the guitarist would sometimes be off when coming-in mid-bar (anywhere other than “1”). Started getting a bit annoying, so I asked him how he was counting it and the reply was…”I use the force”….

Now I like star wars as much as any, but was just wondering if anyone has any similar experience? The guy has now left anyway, but interested to hear comments on this! Are players of other instruments above counting or something? ;)

I use my magic wands. They let me play in perfect time, never losing sense of the "1" or even the "2" or the "4". But their magic suffers once the music hits "7" or "13". They're very nice wands, with anti-slip coating and cool silk-screened graphics. But they do wear out every so often.

😉

That remark, makes it obvious to me that he doesn't count while playing, which seems to be a guitarist trait.

So in other words he's coming in when he feels like it and doesn't give a damn about the rest of the band. You can tell him I said that if you like.

Hi all, in my band, the guitarist would sometimes be off when coming-in mid-bar (anywhere other than “1”). Started getting a bit annoying, so I asked him how he was counting it and the reply was…”I use the force”….

Now I like star wars as much as any, but was just wondering if anyone has any similar experience? The guy has now left anyway, but interested to hear comments on this! Are players of other instruments above counting or something? ;)
Was his name "Luke"?

"...How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb on The Millennium Falcon? ..."

Treat him like Han was by his son...then get a new guitar player that can make the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.

Treat him like Han was by his son...then get a new guitar player that can make the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.

A parsec is a measure of distance, about 3.26 light years. I love Star Wars, but no matter how bad ass the millennium falcon, it can't make the Kessel run in a distance less than it is.

Would drums on the millennium falcon sound different at light speed than normal speed?

A parsec is a measure of distance, about 3.26 light years. I love Star Wars, but no matter how bad ass the millennium falcon, it can't make the Kessel run in a distance less than it is.

You have apparently not seen "Solo". They explain that he is able to make the run in a shorter distance by traveling through wormholes. Yes, I am part dork, on my mother's side.

You have apparently not seen "Solo". They explain that he is able to make the run in a shorter distance by traveling through wormholes. Yes, I am part dork, on my mother's side.

Only one I haven't seen yet. I'd be willing to bet the explanation was to backtrack the mistake. Either way, love the franchise dearly.

I always assumed difficult to navigate obstacles were the issue and navigation was the skill Han showed....so he made the run using less distance than most due to his navigation skills.

...and no...I dont think that a member of a musical group should ever free of the need for coordinating with the other musicians in terms of timing....even if they do not adhere to it.

Are players of other instruments above counting or something? ;)

Not just other instruments. I've been in some bands where I've been playing other instruments (Bass or Keys) and dealt with drummers that didn't count... now that is annoying.

Would drums on the millennium falcon sound different at light speed than normal speed?

IIRC, the Kessel run is an area of space that has many blackholes which affect where you can navigate safely. Going a shorter route increases the possibility of going into a blackhole. ....And yes, i'm a Star Wars geek, and know too much.

As far as the question, it's a trainwreck, unless the guitarist is consistent in their inconsistencies. Otherwise there's always going to be a certain looseness to the music.

Back