No more jam sessions for me. I'm done

If I could make one extra suggestion along with the other great posts...In terms of soloing, there are different approaches you can take obviously, but in a situation where you don't have much experience and/or confidence and feel put on the spot, the best thing to do, despite it sounding incredibly obvious, is to keep it very simple and play in clear groups of four bars.

If you don't know the tune, at least make sure you know the form before starting, 12 bar blues, 32 AABA etc, and just concentrate on staying clear with four bar phrases and developing those across one form. Practice it simply by doing it lots...Play one form of time trying to keep the melody of a tune you know in your head, then just concentrate on playing three sets of four bars, if a blues for instance and back to time. Rinse and repeat.

When you're on the spot and your mind goes blank, it's the basic foundation stuff that you'll fall back on. Over time you'll start to learn more tunes and then you can focus on developing the form and playing based on the melody of the tune. The guys at the jam will be much more impressed and will be keen to play with you if you show them the form very clearly, no matter how obvious. Play some simple phrases with time for 16 bars, go into a bit of extra soloing for another 8 in the bridge then back to time phrases for the last 8 if you're doing a 32 AABA. They'll dig that so much more than classic drum soloing stuff but completely losing the form.

Also, don't forget that it's better to stay clear with the form and show you know where you are than to blow some chops and just hope that the guys will come in for you. Keep playing time and just develop some cool phrases that still have time behind them rather going the wilcoxin rudimental approach as such.

Check out Bill Stewart. He does this at a very high level a lot. It works really well.

But, the whole point of practice is to be able to do this stuff. Try not to forget the big picture because we can easily forget why we practice so much sometimes. Let us know how it goes. You learn best by doing though. Experiential learning.

This is great advice. Although this thread has pretty much run it's course, I really appreciate all who have given me ideas on how to approach a solo. Yes, someone else or a teacher suggested I do this along time ago, but I never went ahead and incorporated this concept of practice into my routine. I should have done this a long time ago. It's so easy to get caught up in new books and exercises. I have a ton of books. Some I have had for 35 years and have never gone thru. Because I basically just use the same books that have been useful to me over the years, such as Stick Control, Chapin, Reed, ect... in which are all good books but don't teach music. Good for technique. I have to take the suggestion that you gave and make it the first priority every day and take a tune to memorize and work 4 bar solos around them. Start to learn the forms. Thanks so much again.....martinbr

I started going to jams a couple of years ago and quickly learned quite a bit including:

Some drummers are there to impress. It's like Saturday morning at Guitar Center. They overplay and usually play too loudly and drown out the other musicians. 20% of the drummers fall into this catagory.

50% of the drummers can't keep time. Some are close but speed up and slow down as the song goes along.

20% are old timers who don't give a flip what other people think. They can do any Beatles or Rolling Stones song dead on. They have a hard time with the fast blues stuff any anything written after 1980.

10% are real drummers. Professional, semi-pro or retired professionals. They keep time, keep out of the way and play. They have good dynamics and the jam sounds tight. Simple is better in these situatuons. Don't try to show off what you learned last week at your drum lesson. Keep time, be steady, make your fills simple and musical. That's my advice. The other musicians will love you for it.

The other musicians will love you for it.

That's really my whole goal condensed into one sentence. In my mind it's not about me...it's about everybody else but me. I get mine by making everybody happy, musicians and audience...by providing what they need, when they need it. It's appreciated, they tell me so. That's all the reward I need. Mission accomplished.

Back