DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:52 PM

Default Powder coating

I am thinking about getting the lug casings and rims of one of my old kits powder coated. I also want to do the cymbal hardware as well. Anyone had any experience with this kind of thing? Color suggestions? The kit is blue sparkle.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Default Re: Powder coating

a student of mine just became an endorser of a local NJ drum company called BIB Drums and the kit they custom built him has powder coated lugs, tom mount hardware , and bass drum spurs

it's beautiful

not sure if you are familiar with the process but it is applied dry electrostatically and becomes part of the metal and is very difficult to cause chipping unlike paint

has a real nice look as well

a friend of mine who builds custom motorcycles uses this process all the time
Old 12-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Anthony Amodeo

I got him to text me a pic of his kit

I'm not a huge fan of the finish he chose but he is young and plays ....I guess "punk" stuff that is popular right now......(not punk to me....but he calls it that )

but anyway...... the powder coating is very nice

Old 12-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

I have a ddrum kit with powder coated cast hoops. I have had it for 3 years.
It has worn very well with just a few minor scratches.
Coating cymbal stands will not work well because the powder coat is thick and the tubes won't telescope properly.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
I got him to text me a pic of his kit

I'm not a huge fan of the finish he chose but he is young and plays ....I guess "punk" stuff that is popular right now......(not punk to me....but he calls it that )

but anyway...... the powder coating is very nice

Wow that is sweet! Really nice look.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Coating cymbal stands will not work well because the powder coat is thick and the tubes won't telescope properly.
That is what I thought .. I assume there will be more mass added to the metal. Too bad .. I think that would have looked incredible.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
my students kit in the pic on this thread has powder coating on the telescoping bass drum spurs and they slide just fine

I'm sure it could work on cymbal stands as well

the coating is very thin

there is a kit at my local Sam Ash with black powder coated stands .....they work nicely
Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

The problem with painting stands is that they are already chromed. Making powder coating work is all about surface prep. There's nothing inherently superior about powder coating. It is just a more efficient process from a material consumption standpoint and avoids the release of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) which are bad for the ozone layer and regulated in many areas. Because there is no solvent involved, getting it to stick requires a really receptive surface with some sort of tooth to hold the paint and not contaminates. If it's not done well, powder coat chips off in big hunks. Worse than traditional solvent based paint.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

I have never seen powder coating applied over chrome without the outer layer of the chrome plating being stripped off in an acid bath first. The surface has to be etched for the powder coat to stick during the baking process. Even then the powder coat doesn't adhere as well as it would to bare metal.
I have a bass drum with powder coated spurs. The spurs were manufactured that way.
The coating is coming off where they slide in and out. I don't transport this drum much either. It stays set up as part of my studio kit.

Powder coating a cymbal stand with all of its moving parts is OK if you are going to display it and you are not going to fold and transport it much. The stand legs will not fold as easy as they did with the chrome plating.
If you put a powder coated cymbal stand in a hardware bag with other hardware it will scratch and chip easier than chrome.
Drum hoops and claws with powder coating will also scratch and chip easier than chrome.