Migrating high-hat stand- please help!

ggmerino

Often, when I go into a studio I encounter a high hat stand that will move all over the floor. I have a heavy foot and I tend to keep it going. I often have to pull the stand nearer mid song. Typically, this occurs when the studio has removed the spikes on the stand to protect their crappy floors.

Often I have to move an amp, brick, or some piece of heavy equipment in front of it- but this is often not an option due to mics, space etc. Sometimes I can tape one of the stand's legs to a crash cymbal stand and that helps a little. I have been thinking of taking a piece of string and tying the stand to the drum throne but I think it will get in the way.

This has been a problem for me forever and it is driving me bananas. Any ideas for a solution that I can take with me in my already-overstuffed cymbal bag from gig to gig would be greatly appreciated.

Are the floors carpet or non carpet?

If it is non carpet. I would bring your own hi hat stand with the spurs and velco strips along with your own rug.

If it is carpet, I would add velco to their stand or do the above sans bringing a rug.

Yes, carpeting is the way to go. Grab a cheap one and lay it down. Or, what i used in a pickle one time, my car floor mats. I was at a gig and forgot my drum rug...Car floor mats worked like a charm. just lay the mat down and put the hi-hat on top. Worked for me.

Going into a studio without your own equipment sounds like a nightmare.

Thanks for the input. Yes- in NYC one often has to use what is avialable, particularly in rehearsal and recording studios and even on gigs. The equipment is usually optimized for the room so bringing your own stand or drums in not allowed or is just a nighmare. Always worth it to bring my own cymbals though.

Sometimes carpeted and sometime not. I don't think I can glue velcro to their stand or their floor. However you did give me an idea. I think I will buy a long strip of velcro and wrap one end to the bottom of the stand and another to the leg of the throne. Hopefully this will not be in the way of my foot. After much searching I even found a product that comes close although it also requires that something be permanently attached to the stand and will not work for me: http://www.phatfootusa.com/2.html

Thanks for the input. Yes- in NYC one often has to use what is avialable, particularly in rehearsal and recording studios and even on gigs. The equipment is usually optimized for the room so bringing your own stand or drums in not allowed or is just a nighmare. Always worth it to bring my own cymbals though.

Sometimes carpeted and sometime not. I don't think I can glue velcro to their stand or their floor. However you did give me an idea. I think I will buy a long strip of velcro and wrap one end to the bottom of the stand and another to the leg of the throne. Hopefully this will not be in the way of my foot. After much searching I even found a product that comes close although it also requires that something be permanently attached to the stand and will not work for me: http://www.phatfootusa.com/2.html

The only thing that might go wrong is that the stand will fly sideways instead of forwards.

I'll tie it to the bass drum or cymbal stand too! Hard to locate double ended velcro strip that is long enough so will probably try a thin rope. Will look like the rigging of a Spanish galleon by the time I am done P-(.

Another great use for sand bags for temporary stabilization. Just throw two 10 or 15 pound bags on the back legs or on the floor behind the legs and the stand won't move until you want it to. Most studios will even have these available.

DSC_0009jpg-2.jpg

Dennis

Back