DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-04-2009, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin!

Just wanted to know something... I received the download code to "Time Flies (Edit)" and there's no kick drum... is that right?!?

If so, you just BLEW MY MIND! That would be the ultimate risk at trying something different on a song... "Hey, let's play it without any bass drum!"

If not, I think Steven needs to make a little recall =)

Top notch song, great to see you guys expanding even more your sound on this new album! Congratulations and all the best!

Heitor.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:27 AM

Hey Gavin,
Thanks for the reply! I got my bassist to agree to go take lessons. Or atleast he has the intention. Following through on such things sometimes doesn't happen so time will tell! haha, otherwise your plan A will go into effect! haha

I just taught my guitarist how to play the most basic rhythm for a pattern of 7/8, 7/8, and then 6/8 (1-3-5-- 1-3-5-- 1--4--). I'm basically tricking him into that so that I can play a guitar riff over that that is 4 bars of 5/8. Plus if I teach him alternating time signatures he'll think 7/8 by itself is easier! haha

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the time you've taken to answer my questions.
-Stan

Hey Fox622003,
Thanks for your input also. I'm glad you responded too. I'm trying to see what people think to help me decide for myself what to do. I've had responses like "fire the guitarist and bassist and keep the singer." to "Leave and find people that are just as progressive minded as you." to "Give them lessons/have them take lessons." to "Quit that band and move to California!" All, perfectly fine ideas. haha, I just have to figure what's best for me. It's good to hear what other musicians think. Hopefully things will get better with patience and them either learning from me or taking lessons.
Thanks,
Stan
Old 08-04-2009, 01:02 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi jez-

I was wondering what time signatures the new song "Scar" contains? The chorus sounds interesting.

The verse is in 11/8 (could be thought of as 3/4 + 5/8) and the chorus is in 4/4. Guitar solo section is 11/8 as well.

Hi tommorello,

yes I met Martin Lopez when Opeth and PT we're touring together around 2003.

Hi DrummerStan

1. What would you consider the most difficult Porcupine Tree song to date(could be off the new album)?

Technically speaking - the end of "What Happens Now" is quite tricky - "Futile" is another quite hard piece to play live.

2. Do you have any tips on time keeping? It seems I can only get so far with a metronome. Is it one of those things that just happens over time as you practice more?

Recording yourself and listening back to check for timing is a good thing to do. I don't really understand what you mean by "only get so far with a metronome"?

3. Do you play more than one instrument? Do you think learning to play bass or guitar could help a drummer develop musically?

I play bass, guitar and keyboards - all pretty badly - but yes I think it definitely helps my drumming.

Hi Heitor

Just wanted to know something... I received the download code to "Time Flies (Edit)" and there's no kick drum... is that right?!?

I haven't heard that particular edit - but yes there should be bass drum in there.

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-04-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi jez-

Recording yourself and listening back to check for timing is a good thing to do. I don't really understand what you mean by "only get so far with a metronome"?

cheers
Gavin
Sorry if it was confusing. I worded it wrong, I apologize. After rereading what I asked that part didn't make sense to me either. What I meant was are there are tricks to timekeeping other than working with a metronome and developing an internal clock so to speak?

Thank you for the replies. Im gonna look around for a means of recording my practices
Old 08-04-2009, 11:18 PM

Hey Gavin,
I just wanted to double check. Is this noted right or am I totally off on what I think I hear? Is it more studdered with the feet? On the Modern Drummer Festival it looks more stop and go than what I think I'm hearing. I get the hands, just alternate the right between the crash and ride. The left hand is spaced equally 6 times over the bar of 4/4. What's going on with the feet?
Thanks,
Stan
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2009, 12:54 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi DrummerStan

What I meant was are there are tricks to timekeeping other than working with a metronome and developing an internal clock so to speak?

Ultimately you just need to listen. Open your ears and hear your playing. Can you tell if your timing sounds good/bad? speeding up/slowing down? Never give up working with that metronome - if you know how to listen - it will show you many things.

Hi chongzilla

I just wanted to double check. Is this noted right or am I totally off on what I think I hear? Is it more studdered with the feet? On the Modern Drummer Festival it looks more stop and go than what I think I'm hearing. I get the hands, just alternate the right between the crash and ride. The left hand is spaced equally 6 times over the bar of 4/4. What's going on with the feet?

You haven't got it right - it's actually very simple indeed. (We've discussed this here already quite a bit so here's a link to my transcription).

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...postcount=1407

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-05-2009, 06:47 AM

Oops! Sorry, didn't mean to repeat. I looked on the www.askgavinharrison.com first, but didn't see it in the transcriptions tab. I'll search the thread more thoroughly. Thanks though!
Old 08-05-2009, 09:52 PM

Just had a listen to the new album medley and Time Flies. Just a quick question: on Time Flies, it sounds like there is no kick drum in the mix! Is it just really low or was it intentionally played without it?

Looking forward to the tour, maybe this is the song you rest your legs on? ;)
Old 08-05-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneymonster View Post
Just had a listen to the new album medley and Time Flies. Just a quick question: on Time Flies, it sounds like there is no kick drum in the mix! Is it just really low or was it intentionally played without it?

Looking forward to the tour, maybe this is the song you rest your legs on? ;)
Gavin already answered that, read a few posts back. :)
Old 08-05-2009, 10:51 PM

[quote=stoneymonster;600551]Just had a listen to the new album medley and Time Flies. Just a quick question: on Time Flies, it sounds like there is no kick drum in the mix! Is it just really low or was it intentionally played without it?
[quote]

Hey Stoney - I noticed the same thing regarding the "Time Flies" edit - and as Gavin responded, there should be a kick in there (but it certainly does seem to be absent in the pre-order mp3 I heard.) If you go to the PT myspace page or roadrunner records you can hear the preview edit for the new album, there definitely is a kick in the mix (Time Flies included.) Either the pre-order edit was purposely mixed with no kick or it's some sort of mistake - personally, I hope that the final work has a more pronounced kick drum as it accentuates the rhythm and makes that ride and ghost strokes sound all the more tasty!

Gavin - is that a special ride that you used for "Time Flies" or is it your usual K ride? It sounds particularly shimmering, almost like a flat top.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jez- View Post
Gavin already answered that, read a few posts back. :)
Oops. Hard to keep up around here ;)
Old 08-06-2009, 02:38 AM

Hi Gavin,

got a question, is this you on that clip (Sam Brown, Formel eins)?

If yes i just won ten box, my friend says no!

Besides this time flies and I cannot wait to hear the full incident and watch that tilburg dvd!
see you on tour!

cheers

Lionel from Basel
Old 08-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Gold Member

Hello Gavin, two quick questions here!
You've played countless live shows, but I've never seen extra sticks lying around, where do you keep them? I mean, you must have dropped a stick once at least somewhere between all those shows!
Also, why did you chose the black Evans EQ patch over the clear patch? because I've got to change mine and was thinking of trying the black, but not sure what the main difference is.
Alright, thanks for your time Gavin.

All the best, Fox.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:11 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi cygnify

is that a special ride that you used for "Time Flies" or is it your usual K ride? It sounds particularly shimmering, almost like a flat top.

Yes I think it's my K 20" ride. There's a section you haven't heard yet that features the bell of the ride quite clearly.

Hi loveporcupine

got a question, is this you on that clip (Sam Brown, Formel eins)? If yes i just won ten box, my friend says no!

The track has my drumming on it - but that's not me there with blond hair on the drumset. In fact I don't think I ever did a TV show with Sam.

Hi Fox622003

You've played countless live shows, but I've never seen extra sticks lying around, where do you keep them?

I keep them in a bag leaning against my first floor tom - and there's another couple of sticks attached to a holder on the lower part of the hi hat stand.

Also, why did you chose the black Evans EQ patch over the clear patch?

I just like the attack from the black one.

cheers
Gavin

Last edited by DogBreath; 08-06-2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: deleted quote from banned troll
Old 08-07-2009, 08:39 PM

Default Derek Roddy

Hi Gavin!
Many people ask you about double bass drum "tips". You always direct them to the Derek Roddy. Do you really think he is such a good drummer? His playing, is only about very fast single strokes!! Even when he is playing drum solo there are just few blasts! That is not something that really interest me. Of course I am far away from his speed, but even if I could play so fast,I won't use it! For me it is not what music is about.
Cheers
Tom
Sorry for any grammar mistakes
By the way,Chongzilla, in my opinion, you are not a drummer if you have a problems with playing with click. Those are basics.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

any tips which programm to use for drum (and maybe other instrument) transcriptions on mac..??

I'm searching and searching but I cannot find any good programm...

Thanks very much
David
Old 08-08-2009, 01:45 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi zacharr

Many people ask you about double bass drum "tips". You always direct them to the Derek Roddy. Do you really think he is such a good drummer?

Yes I think he's great. I had chance to spend a little bit of time with him at the Modern Drummer Fest and PASIC and he's a very nice guy too. Maybe you don't like the style of music that he tends to play the most but I really appreciate what he does on the instrument. I really like this video and it shows a bit of a different side to his approach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxQHM0M6TGg

Hi Kalma

any tips which programm to use for drum (and maybe other instrument) transcriptions on mac..??

I understand both Finale and Sibelius are both really good on the Mac - I have friends that use both. Terry Branam could probably tell you his thoughts about this. Are you out there Terry?

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-08-2009, 06:47 AM

Although I have been drumming for about 2 years now Gavin's playing has been a HUGE inspiration to me. Top notch stuff it's great I am in the process of buying the books and DVD's I hear they are ridiculously hard and not for the beginner but i don't care i am looking forward to it.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Quote:
Are you out there Terry?
I'm here somewhere!!

Kalma,

As Gavin said, Finale and Sibelius are the two most popular notation programs for the Mac. I personally use Finale, but I have messed around with Sibelius as well. I started with Finale years ago and I just stuck with it because I know it really well, and it can do virtually anything I want it to.

As far as the "learning curve", I found Sibelius to be a slight bit more user friendly at first, but harder to tweak stuff to a certain degree. Finale was the exact opposite kind of experience (if that makes any sense).

Either way, if you are looking to get started with working with notation, these two programs are the way to go.

FYI: I used Finale for all of the transcriptions in Gavin's upcoming book. If I can get through both GH/05ric albums without breaking it, it's good software!!!

Good luck,

Terry
Old 08-09-2009, 03:11 PM

I downloaded the freeware program MuseScore (for mac, windows and linux versions available too) and it looked pretty impressive for a freeware program. There seems to be support for drumscores (only tried making a lead sheet). I can recommend it for people who like to give scoring music a try. It might not be as feature rich as finale or sibilius but I think it will do the trick for most musicians who want their idea on paper quick.

http://www.musescore.org/
Old 08-10-2009, 03:49 AM

Hi Gavin!

I don't really have a question. That link to the Derek Roddy video was great. Have you checked this one out? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b_-Qql7alM Dave and Derek are both monster players.

Also, I didn't buy tickets to the Porcupine Tree show for Toronto (Sept 30th) when I should have (I needed to see if anybody I knew wanted to go) and now tickets are selling online for (minimum) $200 a ticket, and at some places over $450 a ticket!!! It's absolutely ridiculous, and the concert is still 2 months away. I've compared the ticket prices for the Toronto show with prices for almost every other place PT is playing and by far, the Toronto concert was the most expensive. Unless I can find some for under $100 a ticket, I don't think I'll be able to go :'( . At least I'll be able to enjoy The Incident; I'm very excited for it.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:21 AM

Hi Terry

Can Finale play the music written with it? Or may need another program, midi module or something?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Gustavo

Last edited by Gus; 08-11-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Can Finale play the music written with it? Or may need another program, midi module or something?

Hi Gus,

Yes Finale can play the music written. The sounds are not great, and there is no "feeling", no "groove" (like all the midi files), but it still helps.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:33 PM

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for getting back to me about the possible newspaper interview before PT play at Newcastle Academy in December.

My question is about 19 Days from your DVD. I've ust started working with it. I can happily playing along to marimba 19/8 section - but when the piano - and especially the accoustic guitar - come in, all the different accents and phrases throw me.

When you're playing the song, are you 'singing' the marimba pattern to yourself, or are you just 'eeling the 19/8 groove?

Cheers
Old 08-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

how long did you work on this solo?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s604Pa-waH0

Thanks
David
Old 08-14-2009, 12:11 PM

Hi Gavin,

Further to post 2/3 days ago. After intesive study, I have got my head around the 19/8 riff on 19 Days and can play along to it quite freely.

Still have to count from 2mins 45 to 3min 30 though!

Lovely piece of music and great time signature to play with.

One of my favourite ever time signatures to is from the Billy Cobham album Crosswinds where he plays in 15/16, but it grooves brilliantly. I've been jamming to it for years.

Have you ever come across it?
Old 08-14-2009, 02:30 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi supermac

When you're playing the song, are you 'singing' the marimba pattern to yourself, or are you just 'eeling the 19/8 groove?

I think in the beginning I did carry on singing that marimba pattern just to keep myself in the 19. After a while you just start to feel it.

Hi Alex P.

Here is the “Shallow” ‘s transcription. It’s a bit difficult to hear the bass drum on the chorus, and the ghost-notes. So, I hope this is good.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8408/shallow1.jpg
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1024/shallow2.jpg
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9695/shallow3.jpg

Many thanks for these - they look great - good job!

Do you know when your next book will be saleable?

We don't know at the moment - myself and Terry are putting the final touches to it right now. I would hope it will be available before the end of this year.

Hi Kalma

how long did you work on this solo?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s604Pa-waH0

I wrote a couple of drum patterns to play over (as you see in the cut in) and then I just improvised for about 10 minutes. What ended up on the DVD is an edited down version of that 10 minute solo. So as far as "how long did I work on the solo"? - about 10 minutes.

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-14-2009, 05:35 PM

Hey Gavin, I have a couple of questions that I've wanted to ask you, so here they are:

1) Are there any disadvantages to playing primarily open handed on the drums? I'm right handed, but play on the hi hat with my left, and have played like that since I began, but I've been told before that it limits me, although I don't really see how.

2) Around how long did it take you to at least begin to master stuff like playing a jazzy rhythm on the ride, and ghost notes on the snare without breaking the ride rhythm? I've been trying to do this for a while now, but it seems I'm not catching on.

and a couple of PT related questions: I'm going to go see you guys at the Boston House of Blues on sept 27, and was wondering if the live film will be playing in the background there. I've been to the venue before to see Opeth, and there was nothing there. I was also wondering if there would be a chance afterwards to meet you guys :P

Thanks in advanced. You've been my favorite drummer for a long time, and after learning that you take the time to personally answer fans' questions, that just made me respect you even more.
Have a great day!
Old 08-15-2009, 02:01 AM

Hey Gavin,

I can't believe that you are still here :) finding the time to answer the infinite questions, this is so great, I always read this thread.

I have a question as well.. :

was wondering, in a live show, how do u tune the headphones, is the bass guitar is the one you want to hear the most?
or maybe the guitar ? and the vocals ?

Thanks again for your time :)

O
Old 08-15-2009, 09:51 AM

Hello Gavin,

Huge fan of your drumming here. Your latest work with OSI is a masterpiece. I like the tracks; The Escape Artist, False Start, Radiolougue and Be The Hero. But I must say that I'm in real awe with your drumming on Stockholm, I just love the subtleties you laid on that track, truly magnificent.

On with my question, you mentioned that you never personally met Kevin and James for that session, so we're you exchanging audio files back and forth? And if yes, how much are you involved in terms of your drum sound, did you use (aside from your usual drum setup) other drum, cymbals or percussion instruments?

And on your drum mics to DAW recording hook-up, how do they show in your Logic Pro, do they all show as a one track or are they all showing 16 separate tracks?

Apologies for the many questions. It's my first time.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2009, 12:23 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi The Bassist

1) Are there any disadvantages to playing primarily open handed on the drums? I'm right handed, but play on the hi hat with my left, and have played like that since I began, but I've been told before that it limits me, although I don't really see how.

I would say that it's actually an advantage to play open handed - as long as you're left hand is better and smoother at holding the time.

2) Around how long did it take you to at least begin to master stuff like playing a jazzy rhythm on the ride, and ghost notes on the snare without breaking the ride rhythm? I've been trying to do this for a while now, but it seems I'm not catching on.

I can't really say - because that was the very first thing I learnt to do. My Dad was a jazz musician and that's all I was listening to when I was very young. He played a little bit of drums - so I guess I picked it up from him.

I'm going to go see you guys at the Boston House of Blues on sept 27, and was wondering if the live film will be playing in the background there.

Yes there should be. I haven't been to that venue - but I'm assuming that the stage is big enough (and high enough) to set up a screen? The only times we don't use the screen is if the venue simply isn't big enough at the back to put it up. Occasionally at festivals it's too difficult to organise it.

I was also wondering if there would be a chance afterwards to meet you guys

I can't promise to meet anyone after a show. Sometimes it happens and other times it doesn't. Sorry to be vague.

Hi Overg

I was wondering, in a live show, how do u tune the headphones, is the bass guitar is the one you want to hear the most? or maybe the guitar ? and the vocals ?

I try to make a pretty even balance of all the instruments and vocals - I don''t really have one much louder than another.

Hi nanrick

On with my question, you mentioned that you never personally met Kevin and James for that session, so we're you exchanging audio files back and forth? And if yes, how much are you involved in terms of your drum sound, did you use (aside from your usual drum setup) other drum, cymbals or percussion instruments?

Yes we just sent files to each other. I used my usual drumset and mics here at my home studio - and that's pretty much what it sounds like on the record. We didn't discuss that drum sound - they seemed to like it from the start of the process. I changed ride cymbals and snare a couple of times where I thought it needed it.

And on your drum mics to DAW recording hook-up, how do they show in your Logic Pro, do they all show as a one track or are they all showing 16 separate tracks?

Yes they turn up as 16 separate tracks in Logic.

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-15-2009, 01:56 PM

Hi Gavin,

In your previous dvds you enclosed Italian and German subtitles. Have you thought in doing Spanish subtitles for you forthcoming one?.

Just saw the MD2008 dvd and you were brilliant. Great sound. Was a surprise to me see you playing 'life', one of my favourites, and what a great farewell with 'quite firm'!. Love that horn section and your drumming around.

Best regards
Gus
Old 08-15-2009, 02:13 PM

Hi Gavin!

Me and my cousin just got our tickets for the 25th November in Wettingen. We could convince our drum teacher to come with us, and we all can't wait to see you guys live.
Is there anything special planned for that show?

Cheers
Old 08-15-2009, 11:50 PM

Hi Gavin,

First of all, I have to say that you are one of my favorite drummers ever. I just love the melodic way of drumming, that too few rock drummers have.. Maybe its a jazz background thing..

Anyway, I got the Rhythmic Horizons DVD and that has helped me a lot as a drummer. Now I am finally able to somehow tackle through Porcupine Tree songs like Halo and Sound of Muzak! When trying to play these songs I too usually hum the bass melody in my head.

However, when the guitar or bass is playing in another time than drums I'll get confused (especially in odd time signatures). I noticed that PT has many songs that utilize these polyrhythms between different instruments. So what's your trick to keep in time in these songs? I guess you use same tricks when displacing beats in fills, do you just ignore the bass track in your head? I guess I just havent got that sixth sense you mentioned in the DVD to feel where I am in the beat.

On another note, I already preordered the new album. So the second question is, how does it feel to be able to play with such great musicians? I mean all the guys in PT are virtuosos on their instruments, not to mention other bands like KC you have worked with.

Cheers,
Jukka
Old 08-17-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huXler View Post
Hi Gavin!

Me and my cousin just got our tickets for the 25th November in Wettingen. We could convince our drum teacher to come with us, and we all can't wait to see you guys live.

Cheers
If Gavin would tell you, it won't be special anymore, right? :-)
Cheers
Tom
Old 08-17-2009, 09:14 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gus

In your previous dvds you enclosed Italian and German subtitles. Have you thought in doing Spanish subtitles for you forthcoming one?.

There will not be any subtitles on the next DVD. I don't think anyone actually appreciated them on the previous DVDs - and it was a MASSIVE amount of work/time/money to do them.

Hi huXler

Me and my cousin just got our tickets for the 25th November in Wettingen.

Every night is a special night ;-) Is there any particular reason that you think we should be doing something 'special' in Wettingen?

Hi kvri

However, when the guitar or bass is playing in another time than drums I'll get confused (especially in odd time signatures). I noticed that PT has many songs that utilize these polyrhythms between different instruments. So what's your trick to keep in time in these songs? I guess you use same tricks when displacing beats in fills, do you just ignore the bass track in your head? I guess I just havent got that sixth sense you mentioned in the DVD to feel where I am in the beat.

Actually I like to know what everyone else is playing and how it relates to what I'm doing. Otherwise it's like "1,2,3,4 see you at the end of the song" and just hope that you all finish together.

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-18-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Hi huXler

Me and my cousin just got our tickets for the 25th November in Wettingen.

Every night is a special night ;-) Is there any particular reason that you think we should be doing something 'special' in Wettingen?
No, no particular reason, but I had to ask something after all :-D
Old 08-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

I'm not sure if my questions were answered already, so I just ask...

-1- How do you program your clicktracks?
-2- How do you get such an dry sound to your snares without dampening?
I use an Sonor Artist Vintage Maple Snare in 14*5. Standard Sonor Resohead and an Evans 2layer Head.
Without dampening I don't get a good sound out of the snare and I was tuning it for 4 hours yesterday.. I also watched the Bob Gatzen videos on youtube.

Maybe you can give me some tips?

Thanks again
David
Old 08-22-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
Hi Gavin,

I'm not sure if my questions were answered already, so I just ask...

-1- How do you program your clicktracks?
-2- How do you get such an dry sound to your snares without dampening?
I use an Sonor Artist Vintage Maple Snare in 14*5. Standard Sonor Resohead and an Evans 2layer Head.
Without dampening I don't get a good sound out of the snare and I was tuning it for 4 hours yesterday.. I also watched the Bob Gatzen videos on youtube.

Maybe you can give me some tips?

Thanks again
David
There was a website setup www.askgavinharrison.com which arhives all past posts so that you can search for the answers to things that have already been asked. I believe there is ample material on both of your questions at that website.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:49 PM

Hi Gavin!

Did you get an 20'' Oriental Crash of Doom and cut it down to 18''...
Because on Zildjian site there's no 18'' Crash of Doom