DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-15-2009, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin!

Are there any talks about King Crimson possibly doing another short tour (with you on drums of course!) maybe after PT finishes touring in support of the new album? Your playing was ridiculous when I saw you with KC last year, and would love to see that again. Of course, I also can't wait to see you with PT in September!!
Old 07-16-2009, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi ItalianRicky

my question is: may this snare be more versatile than mine?And overall, what do you think about its size.May be a 14x6 with an high tuning on batter head similar to a 14x5\14x5.5?

I've no idea how versatile your other snare drum is. Personally I find it hard to get my sound on deeper snare drums. I'm sure it will be a quality drum - how old is it? If you get the serial number I can tell which month/year it is.

Gavin
i'm here! the serial number of the snare is "NK-0868"
thanks a lot.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:57 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi <3Josh<3

Are there any talks about King Crimson possibly doing another short tour (with you on drums of course!) maybe after PT finishes touring in support of the new album?

Nothing I know about right now. It's not out of the question - of course.

Hi ItalianRicky

the serial number of the snare is "NK-0868"

This serial number doesn't make sense. If it was made in the 1980's it can't have started with "N" - if it was made in the 1990's it should have 3 letters.

here's the info

************************************************** *****************************
For RC's made from 1980-1989
The first letter in the serial number indicates the year and the second letter indicates the month

Here is the Chart:

H I J K L M O P Q S X Y Z

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . 10 11 12

. Indicates research model or first run in production.

For example: This drum's serial number is KH. KH = a built date of January/1984

************************************************** *****************************

For RC's made from 1990 - Present
The drums are coded with a three-letter prefix on the serial number.

The First two letters indicate the year, the third
letter indicates the month.

H I J K L M N O P X Y Z Q

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 00

Example: PPI=1999/February - PJZ=1993/December

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-16-2009, 07:10 PM

...i gotta ask as well at the customer.
Stay tuned ;)

cheers from Italy
Riccardo
Old 07-17-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstandyourfunk View Post
I am saying cheers to that post. Tonnes of great drummers, but great drummers who are great guys as well is rare!
I think Gavin's bells are now available from Zildjian.
I don't think they're on Zildjian-at least I couldn't find 'em.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:09 PM

Hi Gavin,

Yesterday i was recording some tracks for my band and I really want to have an easier time (ha) with the click track as were trying to use the click sounds in Logic which i'm sure you can guess are all pretty horrible! However I remember reading this article some time ago:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug0...licktracks.htm

At the end of the article it said I could find your Midi and Click samples on your website but I have just trawled through that and couldn't find it anywhere, is there a chance I can get it from somewhere else or if you could kindly re upload it if it has been removed please?

All the best

GavManB

P.s. Your playing still keeps blowing my mind and you are one of only a few drummers who make me strive to play more tastefully while trying to create new and interesting fills!
Old 07-19-2009, 02:23 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi GavManB

At the end of the article it said I could find your Midi and Click samples on your website but I have just trawled through that and couldn't find it anywhere, is there a chance I can get it from somewhere else or if you could kindly re upload it if it has been removed please?

here's the original post about them.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...postcount=1141

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-20-2009, 04:27 AM

Hi Gavin,

I've been working through your books - Rhythmic Illusions and Rhythmic Perspectives
These books have really helped me develop a greater rhythmic awareness!

I love the idea you mention of rhythmic chops as oppossed to the drummers athletic approach to musicianship.
I have really enjoyed working through these books.
My problem is finding a way of taking these ideas and developing them in a musical setting. ie ensemble or duo, instead of a click.
Just wondering if while you were practicing/developing these ideas you had an outlet to try out some of these ideas?

Also, I was woking on these books months ago but am now finding myself picking them back up again... and also finding out how 'rusty' I am! Do you still continually practice and develop these ideas in your practice today?

I'm really interested to find out what groups/musicians may of inspired some of ideas in these books.

Lastly, thankyou for these books! They have really inspired me to challenge myself to become a better musician!

Cheers, Shaun.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:25 AM

Gavin,
I assume you do session work at home based on the article I read. Do you take on the average 'Joe' for clients? If so, how do I go about it? It would be for something that would not be sold or used commercially at all. I could supply more details if this is even possible.

Regards,
Brian
Old 07-20-2009, 02:37 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi shauntdrums

I have really enjoyed working through these books.
My problem is finding a way of taking these ideas and developing them in a musical setting. ie ensemble or duo, instead of a click.
Just wondering if while you were practicing/developing these ideas you had an outlet to try out some of these ideas?

I do get to use some of the concepts from those books in my project with O5Ric. Some also get used in the band Porcupine Tree.

Also, I was woking on these books months ago but am now finding myself picking them back up again... and also finding out how 'rusty' I am! Do you still continually practice and develop these ideas in your practice today?

Absolutely!

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-20-2009, 07:23 PM

Hey Gavin,
I tried searching the thread on here before asking this. I wanted to buy your books, but your shop says they are sold out. Is that indefinitely or are you going to be getting any more in stock soon? Also, I just got the modern drummer festival DVD and was looking at your set up. What are the small cymbals that are mounted infront of your toms? They look mounted upside down. I checked the Zildjian site, but they said they were cymbals that didn't look like the ones in the video. I like the tone of those cymbals, but have no clue what they are. Great job by the way. Your performance stuck out a lot.
-Stan
Old 07-20-2009, 11:50 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi chongzilla,

I don't think I'll have any more books in stock soon. Amazon is probably your best bet.
The cymbals that you're referring to are prototype "Crash Bells" that I'm developing with Zildjian. Not available at the moment.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-21-2009, 12:21 AM

Thanks! They had them in stock! I got them and Rhythmic Horizons. It must be fun to design your own cymbals with Zildjian! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
-Stan
Old 07-21-2009, 06:06 PM

Yes please tell Zildjian to actually mass produce those things!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 10:18 PM

GAVIN!!!!!

My band is going into the studio at the end of August to record our first EP. This is our first time in the studio (both as a band and just in general) and I was wondering about the click tracks. We have a good amount of time/tempo changes throughout our songs, and I was going to use Reason to create a click track for each song, just so I had the click change tempos and such. Well, my question was, do you find it difficult to stay with the click during the tempo changes? I mean, I plan on making these within the next couple days, just so I can start practicing with them, but I just wasn't sure if maybe there was a more efficient way of going about it. Your help is endlessly appreciated!!

Oh, and by the way...the new preview of The Incident is amazing. I seriously cannot wait for this to come out!!!!! One of the parts that plays towards the end reminded me of Meshuggah, and I was like HOLY CRAP!!!!

Sorry for writing so much...I'll let you go now lol.

All the best!

-Josh
Old 07-23-2009, 07:36 AM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin,
Alright, I searched the thread and found someone asked about that improvised intro at the beginning of Halo live (from the Arriving Somewhere DVD) I read that and wrote something after hearing it a couple of times. (As a side note, I can't believe you improvised that, it sounds great)
Ok, don't laugh at it as it's probably not very close, but if you could give me a few tips on how to get it working I'd really appreciate it.

The notes that can't be seen are hi hats, and there's also a ghosted (or not accented) snare towards the end. Yeah, Guitar Pro is not the best software for drum notation :-/ .

Fox.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:07 PM

Hello Sir,
I got my shipment of Porcupine Tree CDs and T-shirts (I wasn't aware that burningshed shipped to India). I got your new album as well :)
Just heard the first song...lovely intro groove (it's 9/8 + 9/8 + 5/8 if I'm not mistaken?)
It would be a real treat to see you play it live.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:19 PM

Hi Gavin!!!

My names Marcos. I live in Brazil.

First I want give my congratulations for your DVDs. I bought all and it help me to understand your style and ideas and to use it when Im playing drums.

Secondly, Im looking for a new (and my first) snare drum. I really like the sound of Sonor snare drum, but here in Brazil theres none Sonor seller and I cant test and compare the sound of these snares. I found little information on internet about the sound Sonor artist amboina 13x7 snare drum. I know that you have this snare and describe it as "fantastic" in your forum, but can you tell me more about the sound for me? I like to use "ghost" notes on snare drum, is this snare sensitive to light touches?
My parents will visit Berlin on next month and they can bring it for me.

Thank you Gavin
Old 07-24-2009, 08:17 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi <3Josh<3

Well, my question was, do you find it difficult to stay with the click during the tempo changes?

That can be tricky if the tempos are not related - and they happen suddenly - without warning. You have to guess what that next tempo will be. All that can help is to practise to them as many times as you can. I sometimes have a problem when people program a rallentando (when the tempo really slows down at the end of a song) I've never found a computer generated rallentando to feel right so sometimes it's just best to stop the click and let the drummer do it.

Hi Fox622003

Alright, I searched the thread and found someone asked about that improvised intro at the beginning of Halo live (from the Arriving Somewhere DVD) I read that and wrote something after hearing it a couple of times.

I can't really follow what you done there...but I can give you a massive clue about that fill. I'm pretty sure that it's 16th note triplets in groups of five. R L R R L.

drumbumhamza

I got my shipment of Porcupine Tree CDs and T-shirts (I wasn't aware that burningshed shipped to India). I got your new album as well :)
Just heard the first song...lovely intro groove (it's 9/8 + 9/8 + 5/8 if I'm not mistaken?)

Glad you like "Circles". Yes it's 9/8 + 9/8 + 5/8 in the verse and piano solo.

Hi Marcos

I found little information on internet about the sound Sonor artist amboina 13x7 snare drum. I know that you have this snare and describe it as "fantastic" in your forum, but can you tell me more about the sound for me? I like to use "ghost" notes on snare drum, is this snare sensitive to light touches?

It's a beautiful drum - and yes it has a good sensitivity to it for ghost notes.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-25-2009, 02:11 AM

Hi Gavin,

I'm studying your rhythms and fills since the first time i heard your job on Porcupine Tree, every single piece of these partitions was very educational for me. Thank you :)

My question is about What Happens Now? song from Nil Recurring EP. Around the 05:30 of the song (there are some Anesthetize samples on the background) you are playing a very interesting (and incredibly hard) ride part, i think it goes as a polyrhythm, but i'm not sure.

Can you describe that partition of the song?
Old 07-25-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revianblue View Post
My question is about What Happens Now? song from Nil Recurring EP. Around the 05:30 of the song (there are some Anesthetize samples on the background) you are playing a very interesting (and incredibly hard) ride part, i think it goes as a polyrhythm, but i'm not sure.

Can you describe that partition of the song?

Hi revianblue,

Here is the transcription of the "What Happens Now" groove.
(I think Gavin posted it some times ago, but I didn't find it...)
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2009, 11:28 AM

Circles is purely phenomenal, I'm listening to it for days now, over and over again and I can't stop. You guys are geniuses. It's another step forward from Drop. So dynamic, so profound and melodic. It's so technical, but you really don't notice, because you're only noticing music. This album is a real peace of art. Thank you.

Gavin, you ever thought about doing a DVD about recording drums & getting proper drum sound in a studio & live situation? I think a lot of drummers & techs would dig that.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex P. View Post
Hi revianblue,

Here is the transcription of the "What Happens Now" groove.
(I think Gavin posted it some times ago, but I didn't find it...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2ReDqc3aFs

Gavin demonstrates it in this video. Its a 3 16s override.

Besides that, I have a question for Gavin;
I know you love jazz a lot but I was curious if you like the more avant garde/free jazz kind of jazz (like Ornette Coleman, some of the stuff Pat Metheny did?)
Old 07-26-2009, 09:18 PM

Hey Alex P.!
Thanks for your transcriptions! They are very good! I downloaded some of them and they very useful! I think it is a very hard work to write down those damn hard grooves and fills...so thanks again! And please give us more :)
Old 07-27-2009, 10:52 AM

Hi Gavin

What about the forthcoming event at Village London Elstree?
Some kind of clinic or master classes?
Mike Dolbear seems to be a strong name at drummers world in Britain. Ive seen many reviews, interviews etc at web from him.
Id love to be there. Many great drummers, and two of my favourites Steve and you!

Summer regards from Spain

Gustavo

Last edited by Gus; 07-27-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:43 PM

Gavin,
In one interview you said that you use Axis pedals becouse you can play lauder with them. How could it be? I use DW 5002 pedals for about 2 years now. Few weaks ago I have tried my friend's Axis pedals and I couldn't play so hard. I don't think I could play much faster either:-) . Those pedals are so light that I can't belive they can be lauder.
I don't think of myself as a double pedal player. Even though I can play nearly the same stuff on my DW pedals as my "metal playing" friends on Axis. Don't you think the volume of playing it is all about microphones?
Sorry for any grammar mistakes:-)
Regards from Poland
Tom
Old 07-27-2009, 05:52 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Thanks to Alex P for transcribing that little piece for revianblue.

Hi miha

Gavin, you ever thought about doing a DVD about recording drums & getting proper drum sound in a studio & live situation?

I have thought about it - but - as with all 'drum sounds' it's a very personal thing - and there are so many variables I think it would be a very hard thing to cover. In a studio situation - usually I'm in control of the sound - in a live situation - it's the engineer at the front of house of course. I work very closely with PT's engineer - but during the concert I have no idea what my drums REALLY sound like to the audience. I just have to trust the engineer.

Hi SantiBanks

I know you love jazz a lot but I was curious if you like the more avant garde/free jazz kind of jazz (like Ornette Coleman, some of the stuff Pat Metheny did?)

I'm not crazy about it.

Hi Gus

What about the forthcoming event at Village London Elstree?
Some kind of clinic or master classes?

you have confused me - what is the event? Am I advertised to play there? Because I don't think I am.

Hi zacharr

In one interview you said that you use Axis pedals becouse you can play lauder with them. How could it be? I use DW 5002 pedals for about 2 years now. Few weaks ago I have tried my friend's Axis pedals and I couldn't play so hard. I don't think I could play much faster either:-) . Those pedals are so light that I can't belive they can be lauder.
Don't you think the volume of playing it is all about microphones?

It depends how you have them set up. I have the (Axis Marksman) beater quite a long way back. That is to say the measurement from the top of my beater to the skin is 20.5cms - and the beater sticks out of the Axis pedal 16.5cms (to the top of the beater). Also it can depend how tightly you have the springs set on the pedal.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-27-2009, 07:06 PM

Hi Gavin

I am confused too!
Just check this link of Sonor news (its at the bottom of the page) 27-31 july

http://www.sonor.com/pbas/Sonor_FE/s...n_SearchId=352

Maybe some wrong notice.

Gus

Last edited by Gus; 07-27-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Hi Gavin

I am confused too!
Just check this link of Sonor news (its at the bottom of the page) 27-31 july

http://www.sonor.com/pbas/Sonor_FE/s...n_SearchId=352

Maybe some wrong notice.

Gus
LOL Gavin must be going WTH? with the Sonor guys :P!
Old 07-29-2009, 02:30 PM

Hi Gavin,
Many thanks for being so awesome.
Here's my question, and I'm quite sure you've been asked this often before (for which I apologise...): I have been wondering at what point in your drumming career did you start to explore rhythms beyond the conventions of 'western' time-keeping? I mean, did you start out with something like that in mind, or was there something that made you think differently about your approach to the beat/groove in the course of your learning curve?

By the way, I'm super psyched about Circles, I hope it blows my mind like Drop did last year. I just got the.flac version off BurningShed or whatever it's called and am now going to the electronics store now to buy me some new high-quality loudspeakers for my PC; I need the best for this!
Old 07-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

one question about your precise playing.

How long did you need to get the fear of a blank planet fill at 5:01 sound as it sounds?
Did you do some tricks on sound to let it sound so amazing?

Thanks
David
Old 07-30-2009, 04:16 AM

Hi Gavin,

A couple of days I wrote to you asking about sonor amboina artist snare drum. I found little information on internet about the sound of this drum. I want buy one but Im not shure if this is the best snare for me.
Do you have some record using this drum?

Thanks Gavin,
Sorry to ask you again about this subject.

Marcos
Old 07-30-2009, 08:30 PM

hi master Gavin, how're you?
I need some advices from you again!
i found a yamaha birch custom snare, and i bought it for 150 euro.
Some photos! =)
http://yfrog.com/5730072009276j
http://yfrog.com/4230072009277j
http://yfrog.com/6h30072009278j
the specs of this snare is:
14"x5" birch 6 ply.The shell is the same as the old recording custom snares, with the internal ply laquered in black for better focused sound.power hoops. the main difference is that this snare drum haven't the "super sensitive" snare strainer system, but a normal snare strainer, with tension screw on both sides.
I've mounted a puresound snare wire, and a Pinstripe coated batter head.i tried it yesterday in a gig, and it is powerful and clean.but this is only the beginning...i want some more!
It's not a mistery that i love your snare sound, especially the sounds that you've obtained in live sessions with claudio baglioni.i love that focused, powerful and clean sound that you gave to the sounds.
You'll probably know this kind of snare better than me, what you can suggest me to obtain a good pop sound?head, snare wire, tuning...all be welcome.
i hope that you understand my ORRIBLE english :D
GRAZIE!!! =)

cheers from Italy!
Riccardo
Old 07-30-2009, 11:42 PM

Hey Gavin,
I was wondering if you had any suggestions for my current predicament. I've seemed to have gotten into a band situation where the skill levels are somewhat polar. The singer and I are more on the progressive side and the other two are more straight ahead rock. I started the group with the singer. We got a guitarist who's new to actually playing in a band situation. He has some issues like taking a ton of time tuning on stage and switching effects ontime. These things I think are fixable. Going into the studio I've come to realize that he can't play to a click. The bassist who is normally covered up in normal practice times is also not able to play with a click track. Ontop of that he seems to have skipped over some of the bassics because he's self-taught. He has issues with 16th note rests. I included examples of what I'm talking about (there's like 3 other songs with beats like this). I've tried to teach him by learning the bass part myself and showing him. I tried doing it by writing the music out. I tried by giving him tab and midi file. I tried by having him hum it. I tried by mimicking the sounds on the drums. He seems to even out the beat and add a pause. What do I do? I don't know what to do to fix all of this. He also has a consistency issue when it comes to bringing riffs in. The number of notes changes and he doesn't realize. I said "play with a metronome with it." He's like "what's the tempo?" I'm like "I'm not sure, just set it to eighth notes and speed it up until it matches." Then he says "What's the standard tempo for an eighth note?" Me: "Um... there is no standard tempo for an eighth note. It's just two times as fast as a quarter note." Him: "What's the standard tempo of a quater note?" I tried to explain, but I don't think he gets it. I've been trying to get things to improve, but I haven't seen them actually improve (it's been 9 months). Have you ever been in such a situation?
Thanks,
Stan
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2009, 04:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongzilla View Post
Hey Gavin,
I was wondering if you had any suggestions for my current predicament.
Well, I know you're looking for Gavin's input, but I happen to have *tried* to work with the (I think) kind of musicians you're describing. Let me tell you, I am not a very talented musician when it comes to rhythm myself, but reading and working with music a lot has gotten me to a point where I can pick up most rhythmic configurations and notes, and execute them fairly well, all of which, as I mentioned, can only be achieved if you really work on it. The people you're talking about, either haven't worked on it enough, or just don't acknowledge what they do wrong as mistakes. And it's kind of a big deal, because the examples you put were quite simple. I'd recommend telling them to go to a teacher that's heavy on the rhythmic side of music (most guitar/bass teachers don't focus as much on rhythm and reading as on other aspects), because if they didn't get it with all the efforts you've been making to help them (and in 9 months)...there's not much of a chance they'll get it with you, maybe a teacher can get through better.
Hope that helps.

Fox.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:45 AM

wow this is a really really popular thread here. whats up gavin? heard circles and i thought it was epic! The changing time signatures and occasionaly abstract rythyms are great. sure you dont have a giant kit like mike portnoy, but you dont need one. heck, you are there to make music, not to make people's mouths water when they see a huge kit. Is Sonor a really good drum line? im interested in purchasing a new kit
Old 07-31-2009, 01:43 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi tommorello

I have been wondering at what point in your drumming career did you start to explore rhythms beyond the conventions of 'western' time-keeping? I mean, did you start out with something like that in mind, or was there something that made you think differently about your approach to the beat/groove in the course of your learning curve?

I guess I really started getting into it when I was about 19 years old. I had lessons when I was younger and I knew how to read and transcribe (to a degree). I got an audition with a band called Renaissance and they sent me some tapes to learn before the audition. I carefully charted out all the odd time signatures (of which there were many) and luckily got the job. I was listening to "Joe's Garage" (by Frank Zappa) and my ears were becoming accustomed to the sound of unusual time signatures. I went to New York and found the Frank Zappa Guitar Book (by Steve Vai) and I saw rhythmical notation in there I hadn't even dreamt of. I also bought the Gary Chaffee books (Patterns 1, 2, & 3 ) and got fascinated with odd subdivisions (quintuplets, septuplets etc). I suppose from that point I always had an interest in 'thinking outside the box' rhythmically.

Hi Kalma

one question about your precise playing.
How long did you need to get the fear of a blank planet fill at 5:01 sound as it sounds?
Did you do some tricks on sound to let it sound so amazing?

I think I got it down in a couple of takes - there's no 'sound' tricks - that's what it sounded like when I played it.

Hi Marcos

A couple of days I wrote to you asking about sonor amboina artist snare drum. I found little information on internet about the sound of this drum. I want buy one but I‘m not shure if this is the best snare for me. Do you have some record using this drum?

I haven't used this drum on a recording yet. You probably need to try it to decide if it's the right drum for you.

Hi ItalianRicky

14"x5" birch 6 ply.The shell is the same as the old recording custom snares, with the internal ply laquered in black for better focused sound.power hoops. the main difference is that this snare drum haven't the "super sensitive" snare strainer system, but a normal snare strainer, with tension screw on both sides. You'll probably know this kind of snare better than me, what you can suggest me to obtain a good pop sound?head, snare wire, tuning...all be welcome.

I can only tell you what setup I have used on my drum - all drums are slightly different even if they are the same make/size/model - such is the nature of real wood. My drum has rounded bearing edges (like Gretsch) I use Coated Pinstripe or Coated C.S on the top - and ambassador on the snare side. 8 strand Puresound snare wires and an S-Hoop on the top. Don't expect it to sound exactly the same as mine does on some record - there's a lot of other factors (mics/eq/reverb/room/mix/mastering and the way that I hit it). Good luck with it.

Hi chongzilla

He has some issues like taking a ton of time tuning on stage and switching effects ontime. These things I think are fixable. Going into the studio I've come to realize that he can't play to a click. The bassist who is normally covered up in normal practice times is also not able to play with a click track. On top of that he seems to have skipped over some of the bassics because he's self-taught. What do I do?

the short answer - buy a gun!!!

He needs to go back to the beginning and have some lessons. Learning to read rhythmic notation can sometimes help people understand how it works. It seems like he trying to just do it by ear - but without the understanding. Understanding is the most important part - but that still doesn't mean that he'd be able to play it accurately. He obviously doesn't hear where he's going wrong - so it will be very frustrating for him having you tell him that it's wrong - and might feel it's a bit demeaning you suggesting that he needs to go back to basics and have lessons. In which case go back to the short answer above.

Hi Tryx_With_Some_Styx

Is Sonor a really good drum line? im interested in purchasing a new kit

They are great drums - I'm very happy with them.

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-03-2009, 12:19 AM

Hi

I was wondering what time signatures the new song "Scar" contains? The chorus sounds interesting.

Thanks!

Last edited by jez-; 08-03-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
I guess I really started getting into it when I was about 19 years old. I had lessons when I was younger and I knew how to read and transcribe (to a degree). I got an audition with a band called Renaissance and they sent me some tapes to learn before the audition. I carefully charted out all the odd time signatures (of which there were many) and luckily got the job. I was listening to "Joe's Garage" (by Frank Zappa) and my ears were becoming accustomed to the sound of unusual time signatures. I went to New York and found the Frank Zappa Guitar Book (by Steve Vai) and I saw rhythmical notation in there I hadn't even dreamt of.
Haha yeah Zappa can do some stuff no one even wants to see/hear. I recently saw the sheet music to The Black Page; one would think Zappa was actively trying to scare people away with that stuff... Oh, and as for Joe's Garage... Keep It Greasy?

Can't read music myself, not unless it's a right handed piano transcription of Mary Had A Little Lamb. My drum teacher, with whom I had lessons for three years only taught me how to love the drums and treat them well. I'm totally thankful for that, because if he had taught me how to read sheet music, I probably would not have stuck by it at all. I've only been able to play stuff if I can see or hear it done clearly (that's why I got your Rhythmic Visions+Horizons DVDs, and not the books). Like a pattern in 7/8 I think it is, I learned to play that by listening to a lot of Deliverance by Opeth. There's another one of my favourites, Martin Lopez, and it's a bloody shame he left Opeth. Obviously you work with Steven Wilson quite often; did you ever get the chance to meet Lopez? I understand Steven produced a few Opeth records and if it were my bandmate working with Martin Lopez I wouldn't think twice about running over there and checking out how he lays down the Ghost Of Perdition or something!

Oh and kudos on Circles. I'd say Unsettled from Drop still has my favourite drumming on it, but the overall work on Circles is an improvement I think.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:05 PM

Hello. Ive been drumming for about 2 and a half years now and your playing has been a big influence on me. When I found you actually posted on here I was excited to get some advice from someone of your talent.

1. What would you consider the most difficult Porcupine Tree song to date(could be off the new album)?
2. Do you have any tips on time keeping? It seems I can only get so far with a metronome. Is it one of those things that just happens over time as you practice more?
3. Do you play more than one instrument? Do you think learning to play bass or guitar could help a drummer develop musically? I think I phrased that weird but I think the basic idea is there. I say this because im debating buying a bass or guitar to play at night because my neighbors get mad when I play past about 7pm here.

I might see Porcupine Tree in Philadelphia in September at the Electric Factory(I think). I don't know if Im working that night or not yet.
Thanks in advance. And another thank you for all the great music!

Last edited by DrummerStan; 08-04-2009 at 03:15 AM.