DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 12-11-2008, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi, I've enjoyed reading the feature article in the January MD and the transcriptions are great to read and follow while listening. Gavin, we love the new project with 05Ric at our house - Brilliant!

I would love to get some insight into the verse section (beginning groove right after intro) for unsettled. The hi-hat work is escaping me. Perhaps it's straight forward but elusive for me with what's going on underneath. It's so crisp and really moves the music along I would love to work it up.

Any suggestions how to get at this? Thanks for your time.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:22 PM

Hello Sir,
Okay now iv got this 16" crash that i want to cut to a 6" gavin splash bell....but i wana try something else with the remaining material on the cymbal.

Iv thought of cutting the rest of the cymbal (with the 6" splash cut out) into three equal parts
that would basically leave me with something like 3 pie slices with a portion of the tapering ends cut out.

Now with these three pieces aligned one on top of the other...i wana drill a hole in the center so i can mount it on a normal cymbal stand. Also i wana drill about 4 holes for rivets.

Hopefully if all goes well il get a new hybrid cymbal that will have the clank of a stack and the shimmer of the rivets added to it.

Now i was wondering if you have ever tried something like this.
Awaiting a quick reply...iv kept the cymbalsmith on hold :P.

thanks
Old 12-11-2008, 06:00 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi kheddar

What is, in your opinion, the most effective strategy for developing good timing? Is playing a single drumbeat to a click for an hour straight a waste of time, i.e. could it be spent more effectively? What is the role of practising basic rudiments in developing good overall timing in drumset playing?

It's more about the quality than the quantity. You could play to a click for an hour but if you're not VERY in time with the click in the first place it's not really going to do much good.
Really concentrating on being accurate with the click is the key thing. I use to record myself playing with a click and then slow down the playback to half speed. Then the errors are much more obvious. You need to develop your ears so they get good at recognising when things don't feel good - and that takes years.

Hi Trip McNealy

what is the rest of your typical KC setup along with the Opus 88 mics... snares, kick, overheads, etc.

I think I had Beyer 201's as overheads, snare bottom, hi hat and ride mics. Audix i5 on the snare top and a Shure SM91 in the bass drum.

Hi Gus

Are your new -and famous- 'crash bells' similar in sound to those old 8" EFX 1, that Zildjian had long time ago?. I think you had one in your 'Horizons' DVD.

No not really - they are much more splashy and crashy than the EFX (which I still have and like).

Hi jimmyC

I would love to get some insight into the verse section (beginning groove right after intro) for unsettled. The hi-hat work is escaping me. Perhaps it's straight forward but elusive for me with what's going on underneath. It's so crisp and really moves the music along I would love to work it up.

Yes - it's a groove I stole from Phil Gould (the first drummer of Level 42). Basically you play the first 3 16ths of every quarter note on the hi hat - but you pedal the hi hat so that just the second of those 3 hits are with an open hi hat. Easier to do than explain.

Hi drumbumhamza

Okay now iv got this 16" crash that i want to cut to a 6" gavin splash bell....but i wana try something else with the remaining material on the cymbal. Iv thought of cutting the rest of the cymbal (with the 6" splash cut out) into three equal parts that would basically leave me with something like 3 pie slices with a portion of the tapering ends cut out.
Hopefully if all goes well il get a new hybrid cymbal that will have the clank of a stack and the shimmer of the rivets added to it.Now i was wondering if you have ever tried something like this.

I have never tried that - good luck with it and please make a sample for us to hear the results.

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-11-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi Alex P,
I would say the first one - but I think of the opening section of that song in 6/8. After the stop I think of it in 3/4.

good luck
Gavin
Ok, thanks!

And "BRAVO" for your drumming on Insurgentes, you did a great job!!
I think I will try to transcribe some drumparts of this album... but I have to finish "Nil Recurring" first !

Just one question:
I'd really like to see you at a clinic or masterclass (or something else). Do you do these kind of things in France?... or even in London, i would do the trip.

Thanks very much for your answer and for your time!

Alex P.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:00 AM

hi gavin, i wanna ask you a little thing.
do you remember if when you played with claudio baglioni in live tour, your setup had 2 splashes?
Because i find a older photo, with you on the pearl set, and left to your gavin bells, there's a crash and a little splash...was that a 6" splash?
Old 12-12-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Hi kheddar

What is, in your opinion, the most effective strategy for developing good timing? Is playing a single drumbeat to a click for an hour straight a waste of time, i.e. could it be spent more effectively? What is the role of practising basic rudiments in developing good overall timing in drumset playing?

It's more about the quality than the quantity. You could play to a click for an hour but if you're not VERY in time with the click in the first place it's not really going to do much good.
Really concentrating on being accurate with the click is the key thing. I use to record myself playing with a click and then slow down the playback to half speed. Then the errors are much more obvious. You need to develop your ears so they get good at recognising when things don't feel good - and that takes years.
Thanks for the reply! Slowing down a recording is actually what I've been doing myself :)

What do you think about setting the tempo to one click per 2 bars or so, or various kinds of click displacement (upbeats, the 'e' and 'a', etc)? Are those useful?

I used to be big into learning to play complex stuff, but lately I'm all about trying to perfect my time.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:17 PM

Somebody on the House of Drumming forum found this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=211uSoZ-7s8

Thought I'd share

PS Warm day Gavin??
Old 12-12-2008, 07:41 PM

i remember this clinic drizzle...was in Verona, summer 2003...i was there!! ^^
Old 12-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Just put up "Halo" - Transcription from the new book "Progressive Rock" by Rich Lakowski...and thanks Gavin for the Samples...!!!

http://www.drummerworld.com/Drumclin...risonhalo.html

This excerpt is a perfect demonstration of how Harrison can drive a complex odd-time rhythm with a fluent, relaxed feel. In fact, most listeners contentedly nod along to this groove without even noticing that it alternates between 9/8 and 4/4 time signatures. A steady accent played on every other hi-hat hit is a key aspect that helps this beat flow very smoothly and glues these alternating time signatures together nicely.

Bernhard

Last edited by Bernhard; 12-14-2008 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
Just put up "Halo" - Transcription from the new book "Progressive Rock" by Rich Lakowski...and thanks Gavin for the Samples...!!!

http://www.drummerworld.com/Drumclin...risonhalo.html

This excerpt is a perfect demonstration of how Harrison can drive a complex odd-time rhythm with a fluent, relaxed feel. In fact, most listeners contentedly nod along to this groove without even noticing that it alternates between 9/8 and 4/4 time signatures. A steady accent played on every other hi-hat hit is a key aspect that helps this beat flow very smoothly and glues these alternating time signatures together nicely.

Bernhard
:) Great Work...nice alternate way of seeing this pattern because i always saw it as 4/4 and 17/16. Never noticed you could break the pattern into 9/8 and a perfect 4/4.
Any idea of which tool song is on that compilation ?
Old 12-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbumhamza View Post
:) Great Work...nice alternate way of seeing this pattern because i always saw it as 4/4 and 17/16. Never noticed you could break the pattern into 9/8 and a perfect 4/4.
Any idea of which tool song is on that compilation ?
Vicarious - Ticks & Leeches - Eulogy

B.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheddar View Post
Thanks for the reply! Slowing down a recording is actually what I've been doing myself :)

What do you think about setting the tempo to one click per 2 bars or so, or various kinds of click displacement (upbeats, the 'e' and 'a', etc)? Are those useful?

I used to be big into learning to play complex stuff, but lately I'm all about trying to perfect my time.
I'm feeling the same way :). For me that click idea worked and works wonderfully!! But don't have TOO few clicks, because I feel it's important to know when and where you're going out of time (i.e. a certain fill or movement), and if too much happens between two "milestones" of the metronome, you're probably not sure what caused the unaccuracy once you notice you're not with the click anymore. I hope you know what I'm trying to say.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:26 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Alex P

Just one question:
I'd really like to see you at a clinic or masterclass (or something else). Do you do these kind of things in France?... or even in London, i would do the trip.

I have never made a drum clinic in France - and I haven't made one in the UK for 10 years - but I'm hoping something is happening next year in the UK. I'll let you know if and when it's confirmed.

Hi ItalianRicky

do you remember if when you played with claudio baglioni in live tour, your setup had 2 splashes? Because i find a older photo, with you on the pearl set, and left to your gavin bells, there's a crash and a little splash...was that a 6" splash?

That is correct...and here it is from the CB 2000 tour (and you can see how far back I'm holding the sticks there!!!!).
Name:  Cla tour 3 small.jpg
Views: 1850
Size:  167.5 KB

Some interview and performance stuff on the VF site that I did at the PAS convention a few weeks ago:

http://www.vicfirth.com/artists/harrison.html

cheers

Gavin
Old 12-16-2008, 11:13 PM

yeah! GRAZIE MILLE GAVIN ^_^

if you've other photos of that era, please send me some at: Riccardodoni@hotmail.com
only if you can!

thanks a lot master!
Riccardo
Old 12-17-2008, 07:09 AM

I just have to say that the new Vic Firth videos from the PASIC event are stunning. Very solid performance, and really interesting interviews.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:19 PM

Wow! What a long strange trip it's been! I've gone from not knowing who Gavin Harrison is, or who or what PT are, to actually being able to drop a line to the new main man of the skinz game, for me anyway...and all in just under two years!

I'm a late 40's, long time listener of RUSH and when they hit the road for the S&N tour in '07, I was there for the tour opener in Atlanta. I was also fortunate enough to see seven other shows after that in the Eastern and Southwestern U.S., including what was supposed to be the tour closer, also in Atlanta. Except for the New Orleans and Houston shows, which as result of late rescheduling of the shows interfered with my travel plans, I rode my motorcycle to all the shows, logging thirty-two days on the backroads of America. I even travelled as far north as Boston to catch the Father's Day show with my daughter, who flew up from Atlanta to be with me.

So what, you may be asking, does this have to do with Gavin Harrsion? It all ties together, I assure you. You see, I have Neil Peart to thank for giving rise to my intense interest in percussion, and all things percussive. And it was during the S&N tour, thanks to Neil that I first became exposed to PT. He assembles the playlist of pre-show music that is on the PA before every RUSH show, and PT was generously featured on that list throughout the tour. I became curious about the music I was hearing, asked around, did some research, and by process of elimination, figured out that it was PT.

Since then, I have set about discovering and consuming all things PT, which is to say EVERYTHING! That consumption, I'm happy to say, has led me here to share this little tale with all of you.

Besides being a new admirer of PT, I am, coincidentally, an old admirer of King Crimson, and still hold that 'In the Court of the Crimson King' is the greatest headphones album ever (particularly side two). And I do mean ALBUM, as in vinyl, which I still listen to through my AKG K340 (I think I keep these phones just for this album and for 'Riders On The Storm' by the Doors). So, it should go without saying that I am thrilled to see that Gavin is drumming for KC.

Fripp made a wise choice when he gave Gavin the call-up for the job. There is definitely something similar in the touch and sensitivity of Michael Giles playing to that of Gavin's. Not saying that Fripp was thinking that, or that KC is even covering any of that era of their catalog. Just saying that in my mind's eye, for that reason, it's a great choice. I only wish I'd known about this when KC was over here, I would definitely have made the Nashville show, and would even have flown up to NYC for the Nokia Theater gig.

But, ya snooze, ya lose...as they say. And I've been caught snoozin'. So, thanks Gavin, for the great moments and the highly professional and creative manner with which you approach your music. I'm looking forward to many more hours of listening pleasure, many more hours of frustration trying to play along, and many more years of consuming your work.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:11 PM

Hi everyone

Another interview with Gavin from 10-10-08 in Madrid, before the concert.
Here's the link:

http://es.youtube.com/user/Frandrol

Best regards

Gustavo

Last edited by Gus; 12-17-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:00 PM

hi gavin

i've a question about nil recurring...the section which starts at 3:20 right before the 7/8 overriding part...what's the timesignature?...i think 9/8 but does it change during this part or is it all in 9/8?

by the way...steve's new album is fantastic particularly because you are drumming on it...the 5th song in 21/8 or 21/4 sounds like a really cool jam...did you just jammed along to it and recorded it?...anyway great stuff..there's not one track on this album i don't like

ciao
Old 12-18-2008, 12:48 AM

Ok, i have an interesting question...

I've come across some money recently and i'm thinking of buying an electronic drum set...
I would use it mostly for house practicing, because i don't have conditions for an acoustic drum set...

So i guess my question is what is your opinion on electronic drum set's? How will it influence dynamic of my playing? Will samples bore me after playing for some time?
Old 12-18-2008, 01:15 AM

Hi Gavin,
I am writing to heap some praise on you. After spotting your MD cover/interview, I went on a bit of a GH-binge, buying PT and Drop, as well as the Rhythmic Visions and Horizons combination DVD-set. After taking these in, I have to say that your technical ability is phenomenal, and your willingness and commitment to field questions on this forum is unheard of in drumming circles. Plus you seem to be a genuinely nice guy. As one of my mentors used to say, the three A's that make a good surgeon:
1. Availability
2. Affability
3. Ability

I daresay you are an example of all three.
Sincerely,
Yoav
Old 12-18-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inngwar View Post
Ok, i have an interesting question...

I've come across some money recently and i'm thinking of buying an electronic drum set...
I would use it mostly for house practicing, because i don't have conditions for an acoustic drum set...

So i guess my question is what is your opinion on electronic drum set's? How will it influence dynamic of my playing? Will samples bore me after playing for some time?
I did this exact thing for awhile. I was living in a one bedroom upstairs apartment and I didn't have a place to practice my acoustic kit so I bought a Yamaha DTX-press from a friend of mine.

I think it's good and bad in certain ways. I think it increases your accuracy because you're striking a 6" pad instead of drum shells of varying sizes. Also, playing with triggers is a lot less forgiving when it comes to mistakes. Flams and inconsisties in your stroke velocities will become glaringly obvious on a digital kit, in a way that they might be more covered up by the resonance of the drums on an acoustic kit.

But after awhile of playing on them you do get tired of the sounds. After a few weeks of practicing on that digi kit I really just wanted to jump on a real drumkit again.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:09 AM

well, tnx for answering my question...

Well the thing is, i do have an acoustic drum set. But i keep it in my studio, on the other side of the town. I don't have time to go there every day, because of my college obligations...
But i will still play an acoustic drum set (like 2 times a week). So i'm guessing that i can combine the two, and hope for better result's...

I would still like to hear what Gavin has to say on this subject....
Old 12-19-2008, 03:16 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi stikzNskinz & technodoc

thanks for the kind comments and support.

Hi 12:5

i've a question about nil recurring...the section which starts at 3:20 right before the 7/8 overriding part...what's the timesignature?...i think 9/8 but does it change during this part or is it all in 9/8?

Yes it's all in 9/8.

by the way...steve's new album is fantastic particularly because you are drumming on it...the 5th song in 21/8 or 21/4 sounds like a really cool jam...did you just jammed along to it and recorded it?...anyway great stuff..there's not one track on this album i don't li

No it was quite structured actually.

Hi Inngwar

I hate playing electronic drums - and the samples bore me silly. It's nothing like playing real drums. I think DDrum 4 came the closest - but they still made quite a lot of noise because of the real drum heads on their pads. I can see that the kits with mesh heads might be a good way to practise without bothering the neighbours. When I'm in that situation I just use a regular practise pad and a pair of KAT pedals.

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-20-2008, 04:12 AM

i recovered a old VHS of the claudio baglioni's "tour rosso"...and in this live tour claudio has a great couple on drums\percussion with you and elio rivagli on drums!
When you did the last live concert with claudio?
have you some photos?
Old 12-21-2008, 05:12 PM

Hello Gavin,
very nice that youre answering all our questions here!
Your drumming does mean a lot to me,its really the perfect interaction of a great technical drumming and the benefit for each song you play to.(Hope you understand me...the English lessons are over for years ;-) )

Ok,theres a little question I have....
Imagine theres only one snaredrum you could have...what would it be?

Thanks!

I wish you and your family happy holidays and merry christmas!
Old 12-22-2008, 09:11 PM

Hi Gavin!

I broke my left arm/wrist a couple of days ago. It's horrible! I'm not going to be able to play drums for a month. Do you have advise for what I could/should do while i'm unable to use my left hand?

Maybe I should practise reading or buy one of your dvds to get ideas and such? Just tell me what is a good thing to do in my situation.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-23-2008, 08:11 AM

I see that u are on the cover of Modern Drummer and wanted to know what kind of snare u use. I've heard u play on videos and think your awesome and your set up is perfect. I too play some jazz and other types of music. I'm not in a band and have been playing for 25 years and I still need some improvement.........lol any hints I should know ?
I too have Sonors 2007 Force studio 1 double bass and a Pearl Export kit
Dan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thundafoot
Old 12-23-2008, 12:49 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi ItalianRicky

i recovered a old VHS of the claudio baglioni's "tour rosso"...and in this live tour claudio has a great couple on drums\percussion with you and elio rivagli on drums!
When you did the last live concert with claudio?

That was great fun working with Elio. The last tour I made with Claudio was in the summer of 2004.

Hi CareyCopelandCameron

Ok,theres a little question I have....
Imagine theres only one snaredrum you could have...what would it be?

That's a bit of a hard question. Something like a Ludwig 400 is a great all round drum. The drum I've used for 25 years (Yamaha RC 9000 1982) would also be good. There's so many great snare drums around now - I just got a 13x7 Sonor Amboina and it's fantastic.

Hi Paul Nasstrom

I broke my left arm/wrist a couple of days ago. It's horrible! I'm not going to be able to play drums for a month. Do you have advise for what I could/should do while i'm unable to use my left hand?

Sorry to hear it. This could be a good time to work on your reading and transcribing skills.

Hi thundafoot

I see that u are on the cover of Modern Drummer and wanted to know what kind of snare u use. I've heard u play on videos and think your awesome and your set up is perfect. I too play some jazz and other types of music. I'm not in a band and have been playing for 25 years and I still need some improvement.........lol any hints I should know ?

I use a few different snares. Maybe you've seen some stuff on YouTube where I use a small white snare drum? That is one of my favorite Sonor snares. 12 x5 six ply maple Designer Series. Also a larger 14x6 Cottonwood Sonor snare - sounds great too. Featured in the photos of the Modern Drummer article is a Sonor 14x5 SQ2 Maple snare that I sometimes use with that set.

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-23-2008, 08:04 PM

Hello Gavin!

I've been wondering about the fill you do 3:03 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auztu_SQhY4. I can't really figure it out. I assume you are using both your feet and your hands, but in what order? I don't think it sounds like "double-hand, double-feet, double-hand etcetc.." That would sound to stiff.Could you just explain how you usually do those kinds of fill-ins? ... I'll give you a star if you even got a clue what I mean..

Ahwell, Happy holidays and thanks!
Old 12-23-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison
Hi Paul Nasstrom

Sorry to hear it. This could be a good time to work on your reading and transcribing skills.
Hehe, nice advise. Any suggestions how to develop good transcribing skills? I can read to a certain degree, but transcribing is a lot tougher.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:15 PM

Hello Gavin!

I really need to work my "fills". Do you have some tips, or a book to recommend me?

Thanks in advance!

I wish you a Merry Christmas and an happy New Year !!

Bye

Alex P.

PS: I'll post the "Nil Reccuring" transcription after the holidays.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTEmil View Post
Hello Gavin!

I've been wondering about the fill you do 3:03 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auztu_SQhY4. I can't really figure it out. I assume you are using both your feet and your hands, but in what order? I don't think it sounds like "double-hand, double-feet, double-hand etcetc.." That would sound to stiff.Could you just explain how you usually do those kinds of fill-ins? ... I'll give you a star if you even got a clue what I mean..

Ahwell, Happy holidays and thanks!
great question.
I hear another fill like the one trat PTEmil have talked, and it is in blackest eyes intro.
I've founded a lot of those fills in the DVD Arriving somewhere, and i wanna ask the same question, is it only a 2hands 2feets 2hands work?
Old 12-25-2008, 12:57 AM

Location: The Netherlands, De Kwakel (YES, that is near Amsterdam :P)

Hey Gavin!

Thanks for taking the time to look and even answer at all those questions here :D
Anyway, the thing I want to ask is about a fill in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mipTP...eature=related
It's on 1:07, is there any chance you could break it down for me, please? (if thats good English :P). I saw this question bevore, but I haven't find an answer on it. I am sorry if I missed it.

Thanks a lot!

See you in London, in Octobre!

Frank

Edit: MERRY X-MASS :D

Last edited by Progdrummer160; 12-25-2008 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Merry X-Mass :)
Old 12-25-2008, 05:01 AM

Merry Christmas master Gavin ^_^
Old 12-29-2008, 08:07 AM

Hey Gavin!

Small question, every time I play, I always feel like I'm falling into to same beat again. It feels like I'm locked to only doing one thing. When I try to do something else, it just doesn't sound right. Do you have any ideas on things that I can try doing/not doing, reading, etc. to try to expand my drumming?

Thanks so much!

Jon
Old 12-29-2008, 01:29 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi PTEmil

I've been wondering about the fill you do 3:03 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auztu_SQhY4. I can't really figure it out. I assume you are using both your feet and your hands, but in what order? I don't think it sounds like "double-hand, double-feet, double-hand etcetc..

I'm sure it has some "double hand - double feet" in there - and and some point quadruple hand too. (I think that's basically the same answer for ItalianRicky)

Hi miha,

Any suggestions how to develop good transcribing skills? I can read to a certain degree, but transcribing is a lot tougher.

You have to learn to really focus your ears - and be able to shut other things out - other than that - start with some easy things and progress. You've just got to try it. Maybe Alex P or Terry Branam can help you more than me.

Hi Progdrummer160

Anyway, the thing I want to ask is about a fill in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mipTP...eature=related
It's on 1:07, is there any chance you could break it down for me, please?

Quite simple really. It's triplets in groups of 5 RLRRL.

Hi OriginJM

Small question, every time I play, I always feel like I'm falling into to same beat again. It feels like I'm locked to only doing one thing. When I try to do something else, it just doesn't sound right. Do you have any ideas on things that I can try doing/not doing, reading, etc. to try to expand my drumming?

How long have you been playing? Do you have a teacher? How's your reading?

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-29-2008, 01:42 PM

I've been playing for about a year now, and I started taking lessons with a teacher about 3 months ago every Friday, and it's been going strong. I guess another thing I wanted to ask that has probably been asked before here is, how old were you when you started drumming? About how long before you felt complacent with your drumming and how many teachers have you had, if any?

Also, I know I'm just another face on the internet among many others and I'm positive you receive comments like this all the time, but you are a really inspiring player to me. Being able to sit down for as long as you have and answer people's questions just shows your phenomenal personality.

Thank you!

Jon
Old 12-29-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:

Hi OriginJM

How long have you been playing? Do you have a teacher? How's your reading?

cheers
Gavin
I had the same problem when I first started playing. But as I progressed and began to advance my skill & playing this was no longer an issue.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:31 PM

Hi Gavin,

Seasons Greetings.

I finally entered the 21st Century and got an iPod for Xmas.

The fiirst album I downloaded was Drop, after singularly failing to get hold of it in HMV, Amazon etc.

I've always been into odd times but it makes the stuff I learned from as a kid in the early 80s (Rush/Yes/Billy Cobham) sound as complex as Bits and Pieces by the Dave Clark Five!

The music is highly challenging but enjoyable - and the guy's got a great voice, a bit like a latter-day Scott Walker.

I just wish I could introduce a bit of 19/8 into my Newcastle bar band set!

Best wishes for 2009...
Old 12-31-2008, 01:12 PM

Here's wishing everyone on this thread a very Happy New Year!