DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-11-2008, 04:26 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Tom Sawyer

Your kit sounded (and looked) stunning, that finish is very funky. I think I noticed you now mount your splashes upside down, is there any specific reason for that? Or just because it looks cool? Also, your ride has the K logo on the underside, how old is it?

They are not splashes - they are custom "crash bells" much thicker than splashes - and they're meant to be played upside down. The K ride is about 5 years old. Don't they all have a large "K" on the underside?

Hi Gus,
it was nice to meet you too. Thanks for coming to the show - I'm glad you enjoyed it.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-11-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Don't they all have a large "K" on the underside?

cheers
Gavin
I got my 20" K ride about a year and a half ago and it has Zildjian written on the underside, and a K on top. It might have been a minor production change or something.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:46 AM

Hi Gavin,
From what I've been able to gather, it doesn't seem like the song Shallow is played much (if at all) during PT's live shows, despite being one of the more popular songs...This may be more of a SW question, but I was just wondering if there was any reasoning behind this..perhaps because of its simpler song structure compared to other PT songs or maybe for no reason at all!
Also, I'd like to know your thoughts on some of the drummers currently in rock..A few of my favs (besides you)....Danny Carey of Tool, Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater, Cater Beauford of Dave Matthews Band, Brann Dailor of Mastodon, Thomas Pridgen of The Mars Volta, etc....Are there any rock drummers that have recently caught your interest or whose playing you enjoy listening to?
Thanks so much!
Old 10-14-2008, 03:51 PM

In regard to Gavin's "Crash bells", I've been in touch with R & D at Zildjian and there is a good chance that they will introduce these at NAMM 2009. I would urge any interested to drop Zildjian a line (their email can be tough to find but its out there) and mention that you'd be interested if they did come to market.

I own over 100 Zildjian cymbals and have to say the only area I think they lack in is the small bell, cup chime department. Hopefully this will change with if they introduce the "Crash bells".
Old 10-14-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongbass View Post
In regard to Gavin's "Crash bells", I've been in touch with R & D at Zildjian and there is a good chance that they will introduce these at NAMM 2009. I would urge any interested to drop Zildjian a line (their email can be tough to find but its out there) and mention that you'd be interested if they did come to market.

I own over 100 Zildjian cymbals and have to say the only area I think they lack in is the small bell, cup chime department. Hopefully this will change with if they introduce the "Crash bells".
Hi gongbass ( the same one from Tama-Forum?),

i agree. I wrote some e-mails to Zildjian (last year), to introduce the missing sizes of a 6", 8" and 10" Oriental China Trash for "Stacks" or played as china. I think Gavins Crash Bells solve that lack a little bit. Such Effect-Cymbals are still missing at Zildjian.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:27 PM

hey ilikedrums, yep same gongbass as the tama forum.

I would urge all to contact zildjian that would be interested, not to annoy them, just to let them know that people would buy these if they were released. I loved the way these sounded at the recent Crimson shows I saw. If they do release them I hope they do more then the standard 2 sizes. Since unlike Sabian, Zildjian won't do custom sizes or custom orders, it would be great to have a variety.

As for a "stacked" type cymbal, let me turn you on to one of my recent creations. I took a 9" Oriental China Trash and put 4 rivets in it. I then took a 8" ZHT splash, lightly hammered the edges and placed it on top of the china trash. Clamped felts tight but not too tight and its a really original sounding effect. Hey if Zildjian won't do it doesn;t mean we cant!!! : )

Keeping my fingers crossed for the Crash Bells at Winter NAMM, would also love to see some Zildjian Cup Chimes but I think thats a stretch!
Old 10-15-2008, 10:47 AM

Hey,
Thanks for the info on the specs :)

Oh and one more thing...will you be conducting any workshops and or would be able to give lessons or something on those lines in London between the 20th to 25th ?
Do let me know.

useless info : theres an exhibit at Edinbrough Zoo called Tree Porcupine :)
Old 10-16-2008, 02:37 PM

Hi Gavin!

Thanks so much for the great performance yesterday in 013! Looking forward to the second show tonight. I am really amazed by your drumming. At various places during the concert, I was thinking, what fill would Gavin come up with now?
Hope that the shoot for the dvd worked out well (except for the knocked mic standard in FOABP) and I'll see you tonight!

(btw, you guys have a nice engineer! Talked with him last night for a couple of minutes. Very nice guy!)

[edit below]
And thanks for a wonderful second night! Very nice in absentia oriented setlist. I made a picture of you last night (its one of the few that worked out "well"). Had a lot of trouble with getting the light balance right.

for who wants to see more of both nights -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/suppers_ready86/
Certainly not the best concert pictures I snapped but pretty acceptable and also the first time I snapped Porcupine Tree (as it wasn't allowed on the concerts before)

Last edited by SantiBanks; 10-17-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:58 PM

Hi Gavin How are you?
Your "crash-bell" very fantastic in sound
I do not want to disturb or steal your time have you a close up photo of this?
this cymbal have a flat profile?
thanks a lot Gavin and excuse me for steal your time
Angelo
Old 10-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Senior Administrator

hi gavin

i've just got to say that have totally gotten into porcupine tree lately. i bought Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun ,In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet. Deadwing is the tastiest of the lot but i'm loving them all. the vocals and guitars and keys are so lush and rich it really is gorgeous and dark music with your intelligent but largely unpredictable drums making the whole sound really good. although i also like what chris did before as well particularly the song 'piano lessons'.
the drumming on anesthetize is vicious. anyway i'm a big fan now. i'm hoping for more.

ta
j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 10-23-2008, 02:50 AM

Hi Gavin! ^_^

how're you?everything ok?
it's been a while from the last time that i write here...
but now i'm back!
with new questions! =P

This week i have stolen my mom's cd collection of Claudio Baglioni.
I was electrized when i read on the musician list your name!
I was stunned when i listen..(and i have always rejected claudio baglioni...and now i started listening his record...all your fault! :D )
Especially i was emotioned when i listen some live, like "Assieme", "ancora assieme", "A-Live".

Some interpretations are simply amazing, examples are VIVI, ADESSO LA PUBBLICITA', VIA (amazing tom solo!!) and overall i was seduced by your groove in "MILLE GIORNI DI TE E DI ME" and "UN NUOVO GIORNO O UN GIORNO NUOVO".

i have 3 questions for you...
the first, is about your drumset of that times .Do you remember or have some photos of that setup???
second question, i dunno if you have those cd that i've talked on this post, but in the song VIVI at 2':53" you make an amazing fill.if you hear it can you give me the transcription about this magic fill????PLEASE! ^^
last question...on the last studio recordings of claudio baglioni, are you on the drums?

I link you this old video with claudio that present you!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZndLbpnR4U
^_^

thanks a lot and sorry for the time that i stole you and for my horrible english :(
cheers

Riccardo

Last edited by ItalianRicky; 10-23-2008 at 03:07 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:41 PM

You're amazing maaaan! I'm out of words.
You're like...like...uh...like a cross between Bruce Lee, a cybermachine, Zorg from the center of the galaxy, and a visionary triple P.H.D underground scientist.
Keep up the good work/play, pal.
You're an example to many around the world I'm sure, by your music, but above all by your choices in life.
May all the good things in this world happen to you my friend. You deserve it.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:00 AM

Hey Gav,
First off, how are you? I would just simply like to ask your advice on how to play drums professionally for a lifetime. I'm 17 years old and I have been really tapping into and enjoying studio drumming and doing sessions for people. I recently did a session with Tony Levin on bass and it felt amazing to be a part of something with him. I've been playing for about 9 years now. Another I drummer I talked to in person about this was J.D. Blair and he really gave me some awsome advice. so any advice?

Thanks, and Take Care
Brendan Colameco
Old 10-24-2008, 12:33 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Brodel

From what I've been able to gather, it doesn't seem like the song Shallow is played much (if at all) during PT's live shows, despite being one of the more popular songs...This may be more of a SW question, but I was just wondering if there was any reasoning behind this..perhaps because of its simpler song structure compared to other PT songs or maybe for no reason at all!

Actually we felt it wasn't very popular at all. So we stopped playing it about 3 years ago.

Hi angelo

Your "crash-bell" very fantastic in sound I do not want to disturb or steal your time have you a close up photo of this? this cymbal have a flat profile?

I don't have any photos of them - but I can say that they do have quite a flat profile.

Hi ItalianRicky,

i have 3 questions for you...
the first, is about your drumset of that times .Do you remember or have some photos of that setup???

That was 1992 when I was playing Pearl drums. Same configuration as I play now. 22-8-10-2-14-16

second question, i dunno if you have those cd that i've talked on this post, but in the song VIVI at 2':53" you make an amazing fill.if you hear it can you give me the transcription about this magic fill????PLEASE! ^^

I don't remember that fill - but if you post a small audio sample of it maybe a transcriber (like Terry Branam) could transcribe it for you.

last question...on the last studio recordings of claudio baglioni, are you on the drums?

The last two studio recordings I made for Claudio were "Sono Io" from 2003 and then "Quellide Glialtri Tutti Qui" in 2006

Hi dr.funkenstien

I would just simply like to ask your advice on how to play drums professionally for a lifetime.

Be conscientious, open minded and versatile.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-24-2008, 05:52 PM

i've attached to thid post the fill section of the song.can you help me?
thanks a lot master gavin ^^
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 cut.mp3 (87.9 KB, 770 views)
Old 10-25-2008, 07:10 AM

Hey Gavin,

I don't have any questions for you right now but I just wanted to say that you have inspired me to a whole differant level...if that makes sense. Ever since I saw you on the Vic Firth podcast (which is freakin cool), I've loved all of your stuff that you have done. All of the creative videos on youtube were awesome. I am hopefully going to buy one of your Porcupine Tree cds. I just wanted to say how much I appreciate you as a drummer, and to keep up the awesome work. =]
Old 10-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianRicky View Post
i've attached to thid post the fill section of the song.can you help me?
thanks a lot master gavin ^^
Hi ItalianRicky,

I will be able to transcribe that fill for you when I get back into town in a few days. Hang in there.

Terry
Old 10-25-2008, 11:54 AM

thanks a lot Terry!
if you come in Italy i'll take you to eat something good with a good Italian wine ;)

cheers
Riccardo
Old 10-25-2008, 02:33 PM

Just stop by to say hello... I remember October 6th 2007 like it was yesterday... Porcupine Tree in Mexico City... I couldn´t believe it, I guess after a while you think about the greatest moments of your life and you realize that this is it, this is the one I would never change. Well anyway, I hope to see Porcupine Tree again soon, so good luck, best wishes and kindest regards Gavin.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2008, 11:02 PM

Hi Gavin

Will be available for download at PT´s site, any concert from 'blank planet' tour? -like 'Rockpalast','XM'...-

Thanks in advance and take care

Gus
Old 10-26-2008, 02:17 AM

Hi Gavin,

I'm very interested in working through your book Rhythmic Illusions. I've been playing drums for roughly three years, but have never really done any serious practicing as far as technique or coordination. I was wondering if I should work on such things as rudiments or out of, for example, Vinnie Colaiuta's Unreel Drum Book, or if you think I can and should begin your book. Thanks, and it's an honor to talk to you!

Dylan
Old 10-27-2008, 06:11 PM

Hi Gavin,
I have been trying to record the drums since the last time I asked about the mics thing.
There are 2 clips I recorded yesterday,it's glad if you could have a listen and give some comments on the sound.because Im not a drummer,I don't know if it sounds good to a real drummer's ears.
There were 4 mics to be used.kick,snare top,floor tom and one overhead.I tried to mix it to the best sounding as I can get.
by the way,I ordered a new pair of OH mics,they are coming soon.so I can try stereo OH this week later!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 drum 1.mp3 (902.0 KB, 648 views)
File Type: mp3 drum 2.mp3 (1.38 MB, 626 views)
Old 10-28-2008, 06:24 AM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Hey everybody,

I wanted to post this fill that ItalianRicky requested from the song "Vivi". Enjoy!
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by communion View Post
Hi Gavin,
I have been trying to record the drums since the last time I asked about the mics thing.
There are 2 clips I recorded yesterday,it's glad if you could have a listen and give some comments on the sound.because Im not a drummer,I don't know if it sounds good to a real drummer's ears.
There were 4 mics to be used.kick,snare top,floor tom and one overhead.I tried to mix it to the best sounding as I can get.
by the way,I ordered a new pair of OH mics,they are coming soon.so I can try stereo OH this week later!
If I may be so free to post some remarks about this:

Have you used artificial reverb (in other words, not a natural reverb that comes from the room, like Gavin creates in his drumroom)? I hear a very long reverb in the back (which makes it a bit strange).

I think that the balance of the stereo imaging is more on the left side. Is the ride on the left side or on the right side? If it is on the right, then I would place it on the right during mixdown.

I would suggest:
Toms: panned over the stereo field. Highest pitch left, lowest pitch right. Equally panned.
Snare: somewhere in the middle, maybe slightly off center to the right.
Hihat: somewhere more to the left
Ride: depending on actual placement. In case of a normal setup, on the right
Crashes: depending on actual placement.
Kick: in the center
The above is of course a pretty standard placement, from a right handed drummers perspective. Its not a guideline, feel free to experiment but I think there is much more going on in the left side of the stereo image then on the right side which makes it feel a bit out of balance.

The drumsounds itself (the individual sounds) sound pretty good!
Of course, the sound of recorded drums all depends on context. Listen close to gavin's drums. They never sound the same on any track. It just depends on what other stuff is playing at that time (drums can be eq'ed more to fit better in the mix), the kind of character that is needed for the song (let's sleep forever has a lot of ambient room while fear of a blank planet sounds pretty dry and straightforward) and the kind of drums used (dark snares, light snares, metallic snares etc.)
Old 10-29-2008, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B. View Post
Hey everybody,

I wanted to post this fill that ItalianRicky requested from the song "Vivi". Enjoy!

this man dominates!!!^^

thanks a lot to Terry for his great work, and to gavin for have invented (and forget =P ) this amazing fill!everytime i listen to it i feel the need to play drums!

i hope that other persons enjoy this!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiBanks View Post
If I may be so free to post some remarks about this:

Have you used artificial reverb (in other words, not a natural reverb that comes from the room, like Gavin creates in his drumroom)? I hear a very long reverb in the back (which makes it a bit strange).

I think that the balance of the stereo imaging is more on the left side. Is the ride on the left side or on the right side? If it is on the right, then I would place it on the right during mixdown.

I would suggest:
Toms: panned over the stereo field. Highest pitch left, lowest pitch right. Equally panned.
Snare: somewhere in the middle, maybe slightly off center to the right.
Hihat: somewhere more to the left
Ride: depending on actual placement. In case of a normal setup, on the right
Crashes: depending on actual placement.
Kick: in the center
The above is of course a pretty standard placement, from a right handed drummers perspective. Its not a guideline, feel free to experiment but I think there is much more going on in the left side of the stereo image then on the right side which makes it feel a bit out of balance.

The drumsounds itself (the individual sounds) sound pretty good!
Of course, the sound of recorded drums all depends on context. Listen close to gavin's drums. They never sound the same on any track. It just depends on what other stuff is playing at that time (drums can be eq'ed more to fit better in the mix), the kind of character that is needed for the song (let's sleep forever has a lot of ambient room while fear of a blank planet sounds pretty dry and straightforward) and the kind of drums used (dark snares, light snares, metallic snares etc.)
hi,SantiBanks
thanks for you comment!
what exactly is the artificial reverb?I added reverb plugin in the mix,maybe it's overkill.but is it already too much if the music needs much air and dreamy sounding?

yes,about the imaging,it sounds abit odd to a natural drumkits because I got only 4 mics to record the drum at the moment.i did it mono overhead and if i pan it center in the mix,sounds not balance with the floor tom i recorded.so i tried to pan the mono OH to left and Floor Tom to right.Kick in center and Snare abit off to left.

thanks for your words! I did compression and eq'ed alot to clear each tracks together.the original sound is not like that.I will try again next week after I get the pair of Overhead mics,it's Joesphson C42MP.anyone got experience about this mic?
Old 10-30-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by communion View Post
hi,SantiBanks
thanks for you comment!
what exactly is the artificial reverb?I added reverb plugin in the mix,maybe it's overkill.but is it already too much if the music needs much air and dreamy sounding?
With artificial reverb, I mean added reverb that is not present at the real recording and does not simulate the setting of the recording space (in other words, reverbs that are not common for recordingrooms like a bathroom reverb, a grand canyon reverb etc.)

I think the drums sound a bit odd with the wrong type of reverb. A room reverb would suite the drumsound much more as it emulates the room the drumkit was recorded in.

Quote:
yes,about the imaging,it sounds abit odd to a natural drumkits because I got only 4 mics to record the drum at the moment.i did it mono overhead and if i pan it center in the mix,sounds not balance with the floor tom i recorded.so i tried to pan the mono OH to left and Floor Tom to right.Kick in center and Snare abit off to left.
In that case, the "problem" is more the usage of 4 mics. Its ok to record drums with 4 mics (in fact you can do it with 2 or 3) but placement is very important. If you have 4 mics then I would suggest using 2 overhead mics positioned in such a way that the full drumkit is covered and that you can use that as the base for panning and making your stereo image.
Then you can use an additional mic for the snare and one for the kick (which might need processing, depending on what you want)

Quote:
thanks for your words!
You're welcome!

Quote:
I did compression and eq'ed alot to clear each tracks together.the original sound is not like that.I will try again next week after I get the pair of Overhead mics,it's Joesphson C42MP.anyone got experience about this mic?
I don't know the mic so I don't have "experience with it". If you use a lot of EQ then you might want to change your mic placement.

Last edited by SantiBanks; 10-31-2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: typo error
Old 10-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Big_Philly

Hey Gavin,

I was listening to The Sound of Muzak and found that there's a little polyrhythmic thing going on with your bass drum. In the 7/4 time signature, you basically play 4 identical 7/16 beats with your bass drum, playing notes on every 1st and fourth 16th note in a group of seven sixteenths. Is that something you did on purpose or did that just happen?

Cheers,

Philip
Old 10-30-2008, 09:21 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gus

Will be available for download at PT´s site, any concert from 'blank planet' tour? -like 'Rockpalast','XM'...-

We've got no plans to do that right now.

Hi voyaging

I'm very interested in working through your book Rhythmic Illusions. I've been playing drums for roughly three years, but have never really done any serious practicing as far as technique or coordination. I was wondering if I should work on such things as rudiments or out of, for example, Vinnie Colaiuta's Unreel Drum Book, or if you think I can and should begin your book. Thanks, and it's an honor to talk to you!

I would get a good teacher if I were you - might be able to save you a lot trouble in the future. You're still at quite an early stage of your development. You will need to do some really SERIOUS practice if you intend to really progress.

Hi communion

Are you the drummer on the recording? It sounds like the drummer is holding the sticks too tightly and not letting the drums breathe. Never underestimate how much the stick stroke can effect the actual sound of the instrument. I can't add much to what SantiBanks has already said. It's too strange having only one overhead and a big reverb. You really need to have a stereo mic placement - and it sounds like you're on your way to doing just that...so best of luck to you.

Hi Big_Philly

I was listening to The Sound of Muzak and found that there's a little polyrhythmic thing going on with your bass drum. In the 7/4 time signature, you basically play 4 identical 7/16 beats with your bass drum, playing notes on every 1st and fourth 16th note in a group of seven sixteenths. Is that something you did on purpose or did that just happen?

All part of the rhythmic design.

Many thanks to Terry B for his transcription.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:01 AM

Hey Gavin, I've got a couple of questions again :D

1. I know you like Tomas Haake's playing, but is Meshuggah's music in general your cup of tea? Learned any of their songs? Also, have you ever met Tomas in person? His English is pretty amazing.

2. I do almost all of my practicing with a click going, except for the rare case when I'm practicing a pattern gradually from slow to fast and back. Do you think this kind of speedup-slowdown practice is something one should do a lot, and is there some practice one NEEDS to do without a click as well?

3. Have you ever gone on one of those trademark metric modulations during Hatesong or whatever and completely confused the rest of the band as to where the one is? I kind of pity the poor sods sometimes when you do that. :D

4. What do you think of electronic drums?

5. Do you think you're awesome and kick ass?
Old 10-31-2008, 02:52 PM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

Hi Big_Philly

All part of the rhythmic design.
That's awesome man! How do you come up with those designs!?
I just noticed that the snare drum part (or at least the accents) are also part of that same polyrhythm.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:51 PM

Hi Gavin !

I didn't find any drums transcriptions of Blackest eyes heavy parts...

Can somebody help me ?

Thanks in advance.

Salut,
Alex
Old 11-01-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponza91 View Post
Hi Gavin !

I didn't find any drums transcriptions of Blackest eyes heavy parts...
Modern Drummer August 2005 issue (Roy Haynes on the cover) has a transcription of Blackest Eyes
Old 11-03-2008, 12:31 AM

Hey Gavin...

Just want to congratulate you on your fellow countryman Lewis Hamilton for becoming the youngest driver ever to become F1 World Champion...

Did you see the race?? It was pretty damn close those last laps...but he pulled it off anyway...

Greetings,
Dre
Old 11-03-2008, 02:43 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi kheddar

1. I know you like Tomas Haake's playing, but is Meshuggah's music in general your cup of tea? Learned any of their songs? Also, have you ever met Tomas in person? His English is pretty amazing.

I really like "Destroy Erase Improve" - and no I haven't learned any of their songs. I know Tomas - and he's a really good guy.

2. I do almost all of my practicing with a click going, except for the rare case when I'm practicing a pattern gradually from slow to fast and back. Do you think this kind of speedup-slowdown practice is something one should do a lot, and is there some practice one NEEDS to do without a click as well?

I've never been in any situation where a band want me to gradually speed up or slow down (apart from an obvious ending). I don't practise speeding up or slowing down - I think it's really unhelpful.

3. Have you ever gone on one of those trademark metric modulations during Hatesong or whatever and completely confused the rest of the band as to where the one is? I kind of pity the poor sods sometimes when you do that. :D

I might have lost one person on a very rare occasion - but usually it's because they were not paying enough attention.

4. What do you think of electronic drums?

Really don't like playing them - or listening to them.

Hi Drizzle

Just want to congratulate you on your fellow countryman Lewis Hamilton for becoming the youngest driver ever to become F1 World Champion...Did you see the race?? It was pretty damn close those last laps...but he pulled it off anyway...

Yes I watched it - real nail biting stuff right up to the very end!!!!!

cheers
Gavin
Old 11-03-2008, 05:42 PM

hi gavin
i recently listened to the clips on ed poole's myspacesite featuring you on drums...funky stuff...
i'm gonna purchase this as soon as possible
anyway what i wanted to ask is if you know richard bona?...and if so it would be awesome if you would collaborate with him for an album because that would be like the 'ultimate groove'...here is a short clip of him groovin'...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fibw2Xpfmo

should give you a good impression of his 'grooveskills'...
Old 11-03-2008, 07:14 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi 12:5,
yes Ed's record is really funky stuff. He changes the free playing tracks on his myspace page quite often - but at the moment anyone who's interested can hear me on 3 tracks
Twango - Smoulder - Rollin

http://www.myspace.com/edpoole

I don't know Richard Bona personally - but I'd love to play with him.

cheers
Gavin
Old 11-03-2008, 10:47 PM

Hey Gavin!

I have a hard time coming up with nice polyrythmic stuff (such as Mother and Child divided, Sound of Muzak and a part of Halo)
Do you have any particular tactic when you think them out? Are you counting much or are you just sitting down and improvising? Either way, I would really like to know how you are thinking when you are creating those masterpieces

Best wishes / Emil
Old 11-04-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12:5 View Post
anyway what i wanted to ask is if you know richard bona?...and if so it would be awesome if you would collaborate with him for an album because that would be like the 'ultimate groove'...here is a short clip of him groovin'...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fibw2Xpfmo

should give you a good impression of his 'grooveskills'...
I think his best stuff was with the Zawinul Syndicate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpNjZDX0-uc

Looking forward to Gavin's clinic at PASIC on Friday. As long as I can find someone to cover my shift at work I will be there all day.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:57 PM

Hi Gavin,
I was just curious about your double bass technique.. You may have touched on my question in previous posts but I wasn't able to find anything...I was just wondering how you perform fast beats with the double bass and what methods you use...For example, on the heavy breakdown of Open Car during live shows, for those six straight 32nd notes, do you just play those as single strokes and alternate each leg, or is it more of a double stroke with each foot, like maybe using heel-toe? I can't remember if you prefer playing heel down or up....Similar question for the super heavy part before the last chorus in the second part of Anesthetize...Any details on how you go about playing these parts would be helpful!
Also...any news on a release date for the new PT live album with material from the Atlanta show last year?

Thanks!