DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,

I wanted to ask you about what you play in Mother and Child Divided on the Arriving Somewhere DVD at the times:
1:08 (where does it start? does it start with bassdrum or snare)?
1:23 (how do you play that fill :-O ?)
1:55
2:27

It would be great if you could explain them (or something like that) :)

Thanks again
David
Old 07-18-2008, 12:29 AM

Hey Gavin,

Are there any Porcupine Tree (or other) songs where you are deliberately playing ahead of / behind the beat?

Also, do you have any tips for developing that kind of playing? Obviously the time quantities involved are quite short, so it must be difficult to maintain a consistent feel.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:05 AM

Tried the search this time! Couldn't find what I'm searching for, so here's a couple more snare sound-related queries:

On Deadwing, you have a MASSIVE snare drum sound on about 90% of the album. I'm really curious as to which drum was used (sounds like the same drum...?) and the head selection. Also, which mics were used, and did you use any of the two sets of ambience mics? If a certain song needs to be referenced, Halo has the sound I'm thinking about.

I have a Yamaha Birch Custom snare with an Aquarian single-ply dot head on it (I was having troubles with the previous coated CS) and I'm curious as to what you'd do with a birch snare like that. It has the original triple-flanged hoops on it and I cut down the snares to 14 wires to get a good snare response but still be able to hear the drum. Like, what heads would you use, would you change the snares for Puresounds, and what would the normal tuning be? I want a sound with a good amount of body, and I like a relatively lively snare sound.

Thanks a lot!
Old 07-18-2008, 02:54 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Trains'

have the sennheisers a different sound through the inearplug ( the custom thing.. ) ?

Yes once they're inside the custom ear piece a lot of the high frequencies disappear - which is strange from a listening point of view (and can be compensated for with some eq)- but certainly saves you hurting your ears.

And i forgot a question.. do you already know which concert you will film for the dvd? I would like to travel to that concert so .. ;-)

The two shows in Tilburg 15,16 October will be filmed.

Hi pearlnl

What would you recommend if you have a 3-tom setup? For instance (from small tom to larger tom) A - Eb - G or recommend A - D - A

Probably the three in the middle of my tuning range Eb (lowest) A (mid tom) D (highest tom) but this is all very subjective. I think the relative intervals are good but you might want to be overall higher or lower than that.

Second, I would like to know something which you played on your instructional DVD Rhytmic Horizons. It's in the chapter of 'Overriding' and then the DVD player says chapter 16 of 'Overriding'. The fill leading you in the groove after the snare notes is that kick-kick-lowtom-snare snare-snare.

Sounds like a job for Terry Branam - as does the following...from Kalma

I wanted to ask you about what you play in Mother and Child Divided on the Arriving Somewhere DVD at the times:

Hi kheddar

Are there any Porcupine Tree (or other) songs where you are deliberately playing ahead of / behind the beat?

I play sort of on the back of the beat nearly all the time. Lazarus/Shallow/Sleep Together/Sound Of Muzak/Hatesong (from the DVD) are a good examples of it - but I can hear it in all the tunes. I don't really like the sound of playing on the front of the beat and consequently find it quite a hard thing to do. I've spent so long playing on the back that it's become a very natural default thing for me.

Hi dwsabianguy

On Deadwing, you have a MASSIVE snare drum sound on about 90% of the album. I'm really curious as to which drum was used (sounds like the same drum...?) and the head selection. Also, which mics were used, and did you use any of the two sets of ambience mics? If a certain song needs to be referenced, Halo has the sound I'm thinking about.

On most of the album I used my 1982 Yamaha 14x5 Recording Custom. The only different one I can remember is that I used my Noble & Cooley Alloy Classic 14x5 on "Shallow". Both drums would have had a Remo Coated Pinstripe on the top (snare side ambassador) and 8 strand Puresound snares on them. Of course the up close mics would have been used and some of the ambience too but I don't know how much.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 07-18-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
Hi Gavin,

It would be great if you could explain them (or something like that) :)

Thanks again
David
I'm not Gavin but I've spent years trying to learn and play along to just about every version of this song I could get my hands on. The first fill you mentioned does start on the kick--at least as I hear it--I'm terrible at transcribing but it's just a basic kick/snare triplet pattern, like:

kick-kick-snare--kick-kick-snare--kick-kick-snare-snare

If you think of the main polyrhythm as cycling in two bars of three quarter notes and one bar of two (following his hi hat notes) then the first and last snare accents of the 1:08 fill come on the 1 and 2 of that last group of two and the kick just plays quick 16ths in between the snare accents. If you think of the fill in 8th notes it would just be "1-2-3and" going into the chorus riff after.

As for the other fills you mentioned, as many times as I have heard this song there are still plenty of Gavin's fills that I just can't figure out on my own. I can see and hear what's happening in my head but when I try and make my hands do it it just doesn't work. Maybe,as Gavin says, this would be a job for The Great Terry Branham.

Hope this helps...
Old 07-19-2008, 03:39 AM

Hey Gavin,

I heard rumors that the Live Porcupine Tree CD original planned for a Fall '08 release date has been scrapped? Any truth to this?

Thanks in advance,

Brent
Old 07-22-2008, 12:36 AM

Hi Gavin,

I would like buy a shure beta 91 for bass drum. I have a question:why you use a sm 91? (In theory the beta is superior such as quality,i creed) Which are the differences (if you know)? Thanks
Old 07-22-2008, 04:07 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi gibeachhead

I heard rumors that the Live Porcupine Tree CD original planned for a Fall '08 release date has been scrapped? Any truth to this?

Yes we've put a halt on it for now.

Hi daniele

I would like buy a shure beta 91 for bass drum. I have a question:why you use a sm 91? (In theory the beta is superior such as quality,i creed) Which are the differences (if you know)?

Actually mine is a Beta 91. I know there is a slight difference between the two models and PT's sound engineer prefers the SM91. I don't know what those differences are. I find the Beta 91 on it's own is a bit disappointing - I only use it in combination with another mic - but it adds great attack to the overall sound.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-23-2008, 11:21 AM

Hey Gavin,

I love your playing on this track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsHyGbadzQQ

The snare sound you get there is simply incredible! That Sonor kit sounds amazing all around. Also -- congrats are in order for your second consecutive Modern Drummer progressive drummer of the year award.

Keep up the excellent work and good luck with everything in the future.

Brad
Old 07-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

there's a question which is very interesting to me and maybe for others, too.

How often do you break a stick?
My sticks (I use Silverfox sticks) break mostly between one and three months but sometimes after just 1 day.
Do you feel the same?

Thanks again
David
Old 07-24-2008, 01:35 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Kalma

That's a tricky question, and it depends who I'm playing with and how long and hard the show is. For instance with Porcupine Tree - I was using Vic Firth's SD1 Maple (which I really love) but I was breaking around 8-10 sticks per show. Plus I was denting the Remo Emperors a lot. My buddy Marco Soccoli (from Vic Firth) suggested that I move up to a Hickory stick (the Rock model) with more of an acorn shaped bead. Now I break maybe 2-3 sticks a night and the heads don't get so damaged. Other artists I've played with where I've used Vic Firth 5A Extreme and they've lasted all night. Depends how hard you're playing.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 07-24-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi Kalma

That's a tricky question, and it depends who I'm playing with and how long and hard the show is. For instance with Porcupine Tree - I was using Vic Firth's SD1 Maple (which I really love) but I was breaking around 8-10 sticks per show. Plus I was denting the Remo Emperors a lot. My buddy Marco Soccoli (from Vic Firth) suggested that I move up to a Hickory stick (the Rock model) with more of an acorn shaped bead. Now I break maybe 2-3 sticks a night and the heads don't get so damaged. Other artists I've played with where I've used Vic Firth 5A Extreme and they've lasted all night. Depends how hard you're playing.

Cheers
Gavin
Hey Gavin!

on that same note, what do you do when a stick has become frayed and starts splintering from rimshots? (i've read that your S-Hoops can help with stick longevity, especially on the snare). I have a bucket FULL of sticks like that, and when i'm desperate or poor, i just pull some out. Do you worry about compromising the sound of your drums with these sticks, or do you just use them until they completely fall apart?

thanks, and take care!
-chris anderson
Old 07-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Pioneer Member

Gavin:

many pages back on this thread we discussed a drum clinic on BBC 2 back in the early 1980s featuring Billy Cobham which featured a pattern played between two toms and snare with his left hand and three toms and snare with his right.

I found the clip on Youtube (sorry Bernhard) and thought you might be interested for nostalgia sake! Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxEZnyRtSME&NR=1

Take care

Paul
Old 07-24-2008, 10:02 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi xopethx,

what do you do when a stick has become frayed and starts splintering from rimshots? (i've read that your S-Hoops can help with stick longevity, especially on the snare).Do you worry about compromising the sound of your drums with these sticks, or do you just use them until they completely fall apart?

Yes the S-Hoops do seem to stop the splintering happening so quickly.
We normally give my 'heavily used' sticks away to fans at the merch table.

Hi Paul Quin

many pages back on this thread we discussed a drum clinic on BBC 2 back in the early 1980s featuring Billy Cobham which featured a pattern played between two toms and snare with his left hand and three toms and snare with his right.

yes I found those clips on YouTube some time ago - great stuff. I sometimes do that exercise and make the left hand do a cycle of 3 and the right do a cycle of 5. I find coordination exercises so useful and liberating. You can really feel a difference when you go back to playing normally. Funny to see those Tosco hi hats (I used to have a pair in the late 70's).

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-25-2008, 01:55 AM

Hello Gavin!

Was very surprised to see you here!

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for such a wonderful show in Moscow a couple of weeks ago!! I was standing right in front of you and your playing was astonishing!! You're such an inspiration for a young drummer like myself!! Stylish, precise, powerful, amazing double-bass work!!! It was out of this world! I also screamed "Gavin, you're the best!" and gave you a thumbs-up after the show when you were right in front of me, but I guess you must have been too exhausted to notice! Nevermind, the whole show was absolutely amazing! Best live gig of my live, hands down!

Wanted to ask you two questions, if I may.

1) How do you play the very first thing in "Way Out Of Here", the little ghost note before the main beat starts? Is it just a one-handed roll or is it something different? And during the beat itself, I think I can hear you playing these little ghost-note-rolls, how does one play them?

2) My band has a song, and when I enter, before the main part starts, I play a pattern on the ride cymbal, and so I have this dilemma: should I sort of improvise and mix it up for these 4 bars, or is it better for the consistency and the band to have a particular pattern and not vary it all the time? I just don't want it to sound boring... The pattern goes something like this: (E = 8 note, S = 16, T = 32)
ESS ESS ESS TSE etc. but I always seem to vary it, so it's always different, and I don't know if it's a good thing. The drum break before the main part also starts on a off-beat (on the "and" of 2, as far as I remember), so I guess without a pre-defined pattern I won't know where to start... It's just that I have so many ideas and can't seem to decide... Maybe "less-is-more" is the right approach, what do you think?

Thank you again for being such an inspiration and such a great drummer, and, well, playing music in such an awesome band!!
Old 07-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Here are some requested transcriptions for Kalma and pearlnl.

Enjoy!

Terry
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Silver Member

Thanks TERRY!!! You're the master of transcriptions :)

One more question. If you're not too busy, would you be able to write down the fill-in from 3:52?
If you're too busy it's ok!
Old 07-26-2008, 06:31 AM

Guess what! More snare questions!

I just tonight bought a coated Pinstripe and put it on my Birch Custom, and to be honest it sounds terrible. What ELSE did you have on the drums for Deadwing?

Thanks again.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:58 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Zodiak

1) How do you play the very first thing in "Way Out Of Here", the little ghost note before the main beat starts? Is it just a one-handed roll or is it something different? And during the beat itself, I think I can hear you playing these little ghost-note-rolls, how does one play them?

It's a percussion loop that I created at home - in a live concert you are hearing it played from a computer. The beat with the ghost note rolls is just a simple military snare drum pattern.

Maybe "less-is-more" is the right approach, what do you think?

I'd have to be in your situation to decide that. Only you can judge it.

Many thanks to Terry Branam for the transcriptions!!!

Hi dwsabianguy

I just tonight bought a coated Pinstripe and put it on my Birch Custom, and to be honest it sounds terrible. What ELSE did you have on the drums for Deadwing?

That put a smile on my face, I once bought a Yamaha Recording Custom kit and put Evans Hydraulics on it - and guess what - it didn't sound like Steve Gadd.

The thing is - changing your snare head to the same as mine is not going to make your snare sound like the recording on Deadwing. Here's why..

It's not :
the same drum
the same tuning of the top head
the same tuning of the bottom head
the same dampening
the same snares
the same rim
the same sticks
the same drummer hitting it
the same recording room
the same close mics
the same ambient mics
the same A/D converters
the same EQ
the same compression
the same mix engineer

I'm not even sure I could make the same sound again - as it was a few years ago.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-26-2008, 08:17 PM

Hey there Gavin!

When you're in a live situation with Porcupine Tree, does your sound engineer place ambient mics anywhere in the venue? I'd imagine you get a much more "live" sound by mixing a bit of that sound in along with your personal drum mix, not to mention the audience sounds. What kind of mics would you use in a situation like that?
thanks
-chris anderson

*EDIT* - also, i'm going through your two DVDs again, and i LOVE the play-along tracks that are included with Rhythmic Horizons (the 4/4,5/8,7/8, etc), would there be any chance that you still have the music that you used in Rhythmic Visions, for example in the Displacement Lesson #2? It's quite a mind-bender. If not, no worries, i'm going to try and come up with something.

Last edited by xopethx; 07-27-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
The thing is - changing your snare head to the same as mine is not going to make your snare sound like the recording on Deadwing. Here's why..

It's not :
the same drum
the same tuning of the top head
the same tuning of the bottom head
the same dampening
the same snares
the same rim
the same sticks
the same drummer hitting it
the same recording room
the same close mics
the same ambient mics
the same A/D converters
the same EQ
the same compression
the same mix engineer

I'm not even sure I could make the same sound again - as it was a few years ago.

cheers
Gavin
Haha! This should be added to your sig right underneath the SEARCH THIS THREAD link. Good stuff!
Old 07-26-2008, 11:35 PM

Terry

Thank you very much for sharing with us your work on starve!
You´re a great teacher and better mate!.

Best regards,
Gus
Old 07-27-2008, 04:50 AM

Ah okay, thanks. But I dunno, mine doesn't even want to get in tune with itself...
Old 07-28-2008, 03:01 PM

Default Live Sound

Hi Gavin

It is well known that each drummer develops his own sound on the drums through years and practice, I'd like to keep my own sound when playing live so my question is... how do you manage to keep your own one when you have to play live? do you trust on your sound engineer or do you ask him/her to keep your own sound strictly? Thanks for your answer, I really appreciate you answering those questions filled with experience, bye, Alberto.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:22 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi xopethx

When you're in a live situation with Porcupine Tree, does your sound engineer place ambient mics anywhere in the venue? I'd imagine you get a much more "live" sound by mixing a bit of that sound in along with your personal drum mix, not to mention the audience sounds. What kind of mics would you use in a situation like that?

We don't use ambient mics in a live situation except when we record the show for CD or DVD.

*EDIT* - also, i'm going through your two DVDs again, and i LOVE the play-along tracks that are included with Rhythmic Horizons (the 4/4,5/8,7/8, etc), would there be any chance that you still have the music that you used in Rhythmic Visions?

I do have the music somewhere on a hard drive - but the music I created for the exercises is really nothing special - it was just something I knocked up very quickly. I'm sure you could do the same thing with and keyboard and a sequencer. I have no plan to release that stuff.

Hi atman

how do you manage to keep your own one when you have to play live? do you trust on your sound engineer or do you ask him/her to keep your own sound strictly?

You have to trust the sound engineer you're working with. They can make or break your sound. I work closely with Ian Bond (PT's sound engineer) to try to get the best sound on the drums we can make - considering the room and the PA. We try a lot of experiments with tuning, dampening, mic choices and positioning. It's a constantly moving thing.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-28-2008, 08:33 PM

Hi Gavin
I've a Akg D112 and E.V ND 868 for my kick drum
Now i want use a condenser and dinamic microphones in my kick but sometime two microphones generate a problem of phase. I looking in internet and find this AUDIO TECHNICA AE 2500
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec0...s/atae2500.htm
what do you think about of this ?
thank you very much
angelo
Old 07-28-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsabianguy View Post
Guess what! More snare questions!

Thanks again.
Hi dwsabianguy
I worked in "Drumsound" and costruction many snare drum.
If you take five identical drum shell this have a different pitch. i.e. take two different shell keller 13x5 10ply one is a D# and other is a F.
this is a "DW Timbre Matching concept": Process by "tapping" individual shell measured this with digital tuner foundamental pitch. This tone is the natural acoustic center of each drum's timbral persolality and the point where the shell resonated most freely.
Wood is a live fiber many foctor incided of a drum shell sound.
Type of wood, glue, bearing edge, snare venting, finishing and then other factors. Even the paint more change the sound of a snare.
you can take your snare and make a different experience change many different head and many customized your snare
excuse fom my english.
Angelo
Old 07-28-2008, 11:17 PM

Gavin,

Hope things are going well in the Crim rehearsals. See you guys on Saturday !! I feel very lucky to get to see you and Crim in such an intimate setting..... Hope the show goes well...
Old 07-29-2008, 06:41 AM

Yeah, I get that I won't be able to get exactly the same sound. It's just that when I put the head on my snare, it sounded SO way off that I thought I'd done something wrong, or that there must have been some extra muffling. I mean, as far as I know, the drums are at least similar (birch shell, same size, flanged hoops - I know the RCs come with flanged hoops standard, I don't know about Gavin Harrison's RC) so I wouldn't think the sound would be as far off as it was. And I don't have a million-dollar studio (probably more like 4500 US), so there's no way I'd be able to get exactly the same sound anyway.

But I mean, the sound was plain terrible. Maybe it wasn't tuned evenly (my drum area can be terrible for tap-tuning), but I got a gross, bright sustain that I didn't think would be there. Makes me think that there was a muffling ring involved. But for me, a half slice of Moongel works well enough for my preferences. I've actually gotten a closer sound with a completely different drum...
Old 07-29-2008, 03:31 PM

Hi Gavin,

It's great to see you on the 2008 MD festival bill.

As I live in Newcastle UK, I'll have to wait until the DVD comes out to watch your performance!

One of my favourite drummers since when I was a kid, Simon Phillips, is also on the bill.

His early 1990s drum videos have just come out on DVD and (apart from Simon's latex Tama shorts) the playing is still fantastic.

I wondered if, as a fellow Brit, you knew Simon and what your opinion is of his playing.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:52 PM

Hey Gavin,

I'm learning the drum "solo" bit in Way Out of Here. There's a spot where you play a quick 5/16 pattern four times (at 5:25 in the studio version). Is the correct notation of the pattern as follows:

one 16th triplet on hihat followed by two 16th triplets on bassdrum
one dotted 32th on hihat followed by three dotted 32ths on bassdrum

?
Old 07-29-2008, 05:27 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi angelo

I've a Akg D112 and E.V ND 868 for my kick drum. Now i want use a condenser and dinamic microphones in my kick but sometime two microphones generate a problem of phase. I looking in internet and find this AUDIO TECHNICA AE 2500

I'm sorry but I have no experience of that Audio Technica mic.

Hi dwsabianguy,

Maybe it wasn't tuned evenly (my drum area can be terrible for tap-tuning), but I got a gross, bright sustain that I didn't think would be there. Makes me think that there was a muffling ring involved.

There was a muffling ring involved - I nearly always use one on my 14" snare drums. Maybe you were unlucky and got a bad skin?

Hi supermac

One of my favourite drummers since when I was a kid, Simon Phillips, is also on the bill.
I wondered if, as a fellow Brit, you knew Simon and what your opinion is of his playing.

I love Simon's playing - and I'm looking forward to seeing him play the festival. My father used to sometimes play in Simon's father's band - many years ago when Simon was about 13/14. Sometimes I would go along and watch. We lived quite near to his family back then, and his folks would come round to visit occasionally. I remember Simon coming over and I showed him my little shed at the end of the garden where I used to practise.
I really loved his drumming on Jeff Beck's "There and Back" album and Toyah's live album of 1982.

Hi kheddar

I'm learning the drum "solo" bit in Way Out of Here. There's a spot where you play a quick 5/16 pattern four times (at 5:25 in the studio version). Is the correct notation of the pattern as follows:

one 16th triplet on hihat followed by two 16th triplets on bassdrum
one dotted 32th on hihat followed by three dotted 32ths on bassdrum

I can't think of it at the moment - but I would imagine that the groups of fives would be like this

16th note Snare drum
two 32nds bass drum
16th note Snare drum
two 32nds bass drum
one 16th bass drum

actually Terry Branam made a great transcription of the whole solo (and a lot of other "Fear Of A Blank Planet" stuff) in Modern Drummer a couple of moths ago. You should try and have a look at it.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-30-2008, 06:46 AM

I guess the biggest reason why my drum sounded so terribly different was because I don't normally use muffling (the Aquarians normally do it themselves), but the Moongel pretty much did the trick. But as I've also mentioned earlier, I got a completely different drum to sound even closer. Go figure.

But one last thing - do you normally hit in the center of the snare, or slightly off? I've found that even with the Moongel that I get a remnant of the grossness if I hit in the center...

Thanks again.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:20 PM

hey Gavin you are my influence for play drums , you are the best man , your groove its amazing , I see the video of porcupine tree- arriving somewhere in chicago , really really nice

I am From Argentina . sorry for my english .......................but I speak spanish ....
Old 07-30-2008, 09:29 PM

[quote=Gavin Harrison;455940]Hi mstjean

[
If you look back through this thread or use the search function you will find a transcription of the start of "Unsettled". The song goes through a number of time signatures - but basically the beginning is 4/4 then it goes into 3/4 (or 7/16 & 5/16) then an implied 6/8.

Hi Gavin

Sorry but i´m not sure to understand what a 6/8 implied is (problems with my musical english). What i understand about implied time is, for example, a 4/4 bar, and start playing quarter notes triplets (three notes every two times) in bass and snare, so there´s an illusion to be in other place, while keeping the 4/4. Is this your idea?

Thank you for your presence here and for tons of inspiration!!.

Best regards
Gustavo
Old 07-31-2008, 02:50 AM

Hey Gavin,
I have already read the first pages of this thread, but its still a long way to get it all through. So i hope this questions haven't been asked already before.

1. Which location had the best sound to your mind?Do you ever "hear" the sound the audience has, or do you just can judge how good the sound is/was,because of the sound you hear on your drum seat on the stage?Did you ever had a gig,where the sound was horrible and you just could imagine,where the band is in the song.i had such situations sometimes, but i'm sure there is a big gap between your profesionality and mine, hihi.

2.I talked with many of my friends about your style of drumming, and everyone of my friends agreed with me, that the most special thing about your drumming is, that every single hit, doesn't matter on which thing you hammer on with your stick or foot :-) (tom,ride, snare,hihat,bass, .....).ähm, what i wanted to say, every single hit fits perfect into the song, or this short period of time.When you drum it never is a demonstration of technique or speed,its just the best thing you can get out of this song or this short period of time.(I hope you know what i mean)And now the questions is:Do you know what your playing from the first time you try it?I would imagine your position is horrible difficult, because you have so many options,for fills just small differences. In an interview from backstage musicians you said, that you like to improvise every show, and that means that new ideas come to your mind, how to play a song or a specific fill. So is it hard for you to choose for a specific break of one song, a specific fill for the record of the album for example, because you have so many you can choose, and i'm sure every of these fills are great. Or maybe the differences between different fills are so small, but maybe so important.

I'm very interested, if such things make genious musicians sleepless. Thanks Gavin for beeing here on our Planet

best wishes from Vienna ( great show last time)
Alex
Ps: I will never forget, when you shouted to Steve: Shut up, when he asked you for a drum solo, because he had problems with his effects ;-) .

Last edited by Bassnoob; 07-31-2008 at 03:25 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:19 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi dwsabianguy

do you normally hit in the center of the snare, or slightly off?

I hit the centre of the drum and usually with a rim shot.

Hi Gus

Sorry but i´m not sure to understand what a 6/8 implied is (problems with my musical english). What i understand about implied time is, for example, a 4/4 bar, and start playing quarter notes triplets (three notes every two times) in bass and snare, so there´s an illusion to be in other place, while keeping the 4/4. Is this your idea?

No not in this case. With a bar of 3/4 there's a few different ways you can subdivide it. As I said - in the first verse I play 7/16 and 5/16 and that makes the 3/4 feel a certain way. If I play a bass drum on one and a snare exactly in the middle of the bar (the & of 2) it can seem that the feel has become triplets. That's what I meant by implying a 6/8 feel.

Hi Bassnoob

1. Which location had the best sound to your mind?Do you ever "hear" the sound the audience has, or do you just can judge how good the sound is/was,because of the sound you hear on your drum seat on the stage?

Usually really well designed studios sound the best to me. I'm never hearing the same thing that the audience is hearing in a gig situation. I don't have the PA speakers facing me.

Did you ever had a gig,where the sound was horrible and you just could imagine,where the band is in the song.

I have played in some really terrible sounding places - and I just have to hope it sounded better to the audience than it did to me.

Do you know what your playing from the first time you try it?I would imagine your position is horrible difficult, because you have so many options,for fills just small differences. In an interview from backstage musicians you said, that you like to improvise every show, and that means that new ideas come to your mind, how to play a song or a specific fill. So is it hard for you to choose for a specific break of one song, a specific fill for the record of the album for example, because you have so many you can choose, and i'm sure every of these fills are great. Or maybe the differences between different fills are so small, but maybe so important.

I try not to think of my fills as a menu that I could choose from. Sure I have some old favourites - but I try to use them as little as possible. If I can - I want to be inspired to just create something new on the spot.

I will never forget, when you shouted to Steve: Shut up, when he asked you for a drum solo, because he had problems with his effects ;-) .

Actually I think I shouted F**K OFF.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 08-02-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Hi dwsabianguy

do you normally hit in the center of the snare, or slightly off?

I hit the centre of the drum and usually with a rim shot.

Hi Gus

No not in this case. With a bar of 3/4 there's a few different ways you can subdivide it. As I said - in the first verse I play 7/16 and 5/16 and that makes the 3/4 feel a certain way. If I play a bass drum on one and a snare exactly in the middle of the bar (the & of 2) it can seem that the feel has become triplets. That's what I meant by implying a 6/8 feel.

Hi Bassnoob

1. Which location had the best sound to your mind?Do you ever "hear" the sound the audience has, or do you just can judge how good the sound is/was,because of the sound you hear on your drum seat on the stage?

Usually really well designed studios sound the best to me. I'm never hearing the same thing that the audience is hearing in a gig situation. I don't have the PA speakers facing me.

Did you ever had a gig,where the sound was horrible and you just could imagine,where the band is in the song.

I have played in some really terrible sounding places - and I just have to hope it sounded better to the audience than it did to me.

Do you know what your playing from the first time you try it?I would imagine your position is horrible difficult, because you have so many options,for fills just small differences. In an interview from backstage musicians you said, that you like to improvise every show, and that means that new ideas come to your mind, how to play a song or a specific fill. So is it hard for you to choose for a specific break of one song, a specific fill for the record of the album for example, because you have so many you can choose, and i'm sure every of these fills are great. Or maybe the differences between different fills are so small, but maybe so important.

I try not to think of my fills as a menu that I could choose from. Sure I have some old favourites - but I try to use them as little as possible. If I can - I want to be inspired to just create something new on the spot.

I will never forget, when you shouted to Steve: Shut up, when he asked you for a drum solo, because he had problems with his effects ;-) .

Actually I think I shouted F**K OFF.

Cheers
Gavin

BWhahahaha...

Gavin,
Since the show tonight is in a smaller venue do you think that being up front close to the stage might be detrimental to getting the best sound ? Based on the venue do you have a recommendation for a sweet spot ? I would love to hear your kit raw coming off the stage but at the same time I want to be in the best spot for the stereo image.

Look forward to the show tonight and wish the best to you on your 1st live Crim gig. Cant wait to hear your style and groove in Crims music...

Do you every get a chance (or do you even care) to sample local foods when you are on tour ? You should try an "Elvis sandwich" before you leave Nashville. Tennessee is about the only place you can get the legendary "Elvis Sandwich". Its a fried penut butter Sandwich with banana on it and its very yummy however only one sandwich per lifetime is recommended due to the fact that it is so very bad for you..

I wouldnt eat one the same day of a show..
Old 08-02-2008, 10:55 PM

Hi Gavin

Also want to wish you the best at the beginning of the KC tour. I´m sure that you will do an amazing job, and put all your maestry in the music of Fripp´s band.

Best regards
Gus
Old 08-03-2008, 10:24 AM

Saw Gavin with Crim.... 5th row center... Just want I wanted... Perfect

He fit in perfectly. Him and Pat had some insane stuff going on. Had my blood pumping hard..

Well done Gavin.. That was truly a great show and it looked like you and Pat were having a lot of fun.. You add a lot to the Crim with your approach..

IF anyone lives near where they are playing their next date GO SEE THEM.

What was that device you were turning knobs on to your left off and on all night ?