DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-29-2008, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin,
Congratulations on your readers poll from modern drummer. Wow, second year in a row for best progressive drummer, you must be doing something right :-) Keep up the exciting work. Take care and God bless.

MM

p.s. Nil Recurring blew me away!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
I have no plans to come to India at the moment - but I do LOVE the food.

cheers
Gavin
oh oh oh may be i can bring you some when i come for the 19th october gig :D

really stupid question
but if there was one place in a porcupine tree song wherein you could incorporate blast beats...where would it be ?
Old 07-01-2008, 12:39 AM

Sup Gavin.

A couple of questions:

1. Your dynamic range and precision are amazing... those are things a lot of people don't always appreciate. Are there any specific exercises you would recommend that would help develop those skills?

2. Porcupine Tree's music has got increasingly rhythmically focused; how much of this is your influence, seeing as you're quite the polyrhythm/syncopation nut?
Old 07-01-2008, 03:17 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi daniele

I would like create a home studio in a little room in my house (16,5x8,7x8h foot). In your opinion, can i get to a good recording sound in a room like this,after acustic treatment? Thank you!

Yes of course you can. I don't think you're going to get a big ambient sound (with a room that size) - but with the careful use of digital reverbs it could sound really good.

Hi kheddar

1. Your dynamic range and precision are amazing... those are things a lot of people don't always appreciate. Are there any specific exercises you would recommend that would help develop those skills?

It's a hard question - just being very observant about your details certainly helps. Being in very anal studio conditions - and listening carefully makes you aware of a lot of your errors.

2. Porcupine Tree's music has got increasingly rhythmically focused; how much of this is your influence, seeing as you're quite the polyrhythm/syncopation nut?

I try to bring new rhythmic ideas to each album - some complex and some just unusual. If I can - I strive to play unique drum parts - and see if there are opportunities to experiment with rhythmic structure. I can certainly here my influence in some of the songs.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-04-2008, 02:24 AM

Is Drop available in any retail stores in Canada? I'm struggling from wanting to hear it now and wanting to have the liner notes.
...perhaps I will buy the download and the real deal and waaait for the shipment. :D
Old 07-04-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Good View Post
Wow! My jaw just dropped to the floor. That was an amazing video.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:08 PM

HI Gav how are you manˇˇ

i need to learn about the polyrythms can you think the books from peter magadinis can help me? or i could move me direct to your books, i know just the basics but i want to study your books in a very deep perspective without so much problems in the way and maybe i need to lear somethings more before jump to this or what do you think?

and another one, can you tell me about the basic structure and the metric of your song
ˇunsettled from album drop,

god bless u man

cheers
Raul Guereca,
Old 07-06-2008, 04:56 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi mstjean

Is Drop available in any retail stores in Canada? I'm struggling from wanting to hear it now and wanting to have the liner notes.

As far as I'm aware - Drop is only available frrom www.burningshed.com (for CD and download).

Hi raguer

i need to learn about the polyrythms can you think the books from peter magadinis can help me?

I have one of Peter's books and I thought it was very good.

can you tell me about the basic structure and the metric of your song
ˇunsettled from album drop,

If you look back through this thread or use the search function you will find a transcription of the start of "Unsettled". The song goes through a number of time signatures - but basically the beginning is 4/4 then it goes into 3/4 (or 7/16 & 5/16) then an implied 6/8.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 07-06-2008, 10:13 PM

Hey Gavin! Just a quick question...I recently picked up an S-Hoop for my snare, and it is amazing. So comfortable when doing rimshots, and I'm actually liking the sound I get with it as well. My question though, is do you have them on both the top and bottom of your toms and snare? I like the idea of having them on the top to protect the edges, and also if a muffling ring is needed, but I'm not sure if they're necessary for the bottom, except for looks. Thanks for the help!
Josh
Old 07-07-2008, 01:41 AM

Thanks so much for playing Mother and Child Divided at Ruisrock!

I actually had quite a few people ask me whether I knew what the song was called because they hadn't heard it before and absolutely loved it. PT goes Meshuggah.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:42 AM

Cheers and thanks for all the advice, entertainment and I know I speak for many, frustration!

I think I have downloaded or purchased just about everything you have done with PT, 05 Ric, etc.

My messages to you are;

Why no US tour? Especially to Boston (so you can visit the Zildjian plant, about 15 miles from me), I'll buy lunch!

And a note for your input about maturity and playing. I just read your quote on being disappointed if you are out to be the best drummer in the world, and thought that it was great advice. I was young a million years ago (I'm 43) and wish I had someone say that to me before I stopped playing for 20 years. Now that I have been playing again for about 9 months I feel that maturity has a big part in learning and paying attention to rudiments etc. I think I try harder to meet my goals and do it in a different approach to playing than I did years ago. Especially trying to play along the lines of your material. Your thoughts and more advice for the younger players out here.

Thanks for your artistry, you are by far the most creative musician my ears have had the pleasure of hearing!

Best-Jeff
Old 07-07-2008, 09:41 AM

Hi Gavin!
I saw you and all PT in Moscow in B1 Maximum club. It was magnificent. Great sound and favourite songs. I waited for autographes after your performance, wished to shake your hand, but have not waited. It is a pity. All the same, thanks huge to all PT for excellent evening. I hope you will arrive to Moscow once again.

Alex.
Sikorsky band

Owner/Editor www.playdrums.ru
Old 07-07-2008, 04:02 PM

Hi Gavin, I hope you are enjoying your tour this year.

I will began with my questions and thanks:

QUESTION 1: I would like to complete my drum kit with a new snare drum and I liked the sound of your snare drum from "Slipping Away" (part 2). As you may know it appears on the DVD Rhythmic Horizons. It is a black one with some S-hoops on it I think. Well, at first sight to me it appear like a Black Steel sonor artist snare drum but the design of this one doesn´t match with the one on this your song. What model of snare drum it is? Thanks for your support (you support all the fans with your answers :-)

QUESTION 2: I would like to get a job as a drum player in a band so I can make a living, therefore I´m working intensively on my technique improving several aspects of it as usual. My question is a simple question about technique: When did you realize you couldn´t improve your technique anymore? I mean: how long have you been studying technique? do you still study it?

QUESTION 3: As a reference point, which advice you consider the best one for improvising over a melody? I know you´ve done it quite often. I think staying conscious all the time and internalizing the melody are important aspects, what could you add to it from your personal point of view?

QUESTION 4: What is Rhythmic Contortions? is it the intention to prepare another DVD with more material from you? When is it going to be out in stores? Any news about it?

Thanks for all your time answering these questions, for me it is something I must be thankful for. Thanks. See you 11th October in Barcelona, Spain. I will see you in concert, thanks for visiting Spain. Thanks for your job, very well done, superb.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:34 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi XboxIsAGodToMe

I recently picked up an S-Hoop for my snare, and it is amazing. My question though, is do you have them on both the top and bottom of your toms and snare?

I think they make the most difference on the top of the snare drum because of rimshots and that they hold O-rings so well. I do think there's a tuning advantage because of the rigidity of the hoop. I have them top and bottom on my main Sonor snare - and just on the top of quite a few of my other snares. I have them just on the top of the toms too.

Hi yamaman

My messages to you are; Why no US tour?

Do you mean with PT? We've been doing Euro festivals this summer - and we'll be doing a few concerts in October so that we can film a DVD. We've been around the US three times with the most recent album - and we'll be back (probably late next year or) whenever we have the next record ready to release and promote.

Hi atman

QUESTION 1: I would like to complete my drum kit with a new snare drum and I liked the sound of your snare drum from "Slipping Away" (part 2). What model of snare drum it is?

It's a Noble & Cooley 14x5 Alloy Classic. It doesn't have the S-Hoops on it.

QUESTION 2: When did you realize you couldn´t improve your technique anymore? I mean: how long have you been studying technique? do you still study it?

I've never thought I couldn't improve my technique more. I now work more on control than speed. I practise things to make them feel better in time - and that requires a lot of coordination and accuracy.

QUESTION 3: As a reference point, which advice you consider the best one for improvising over a melody? I know you´ve done it quite often. I think staying conscious all the time and internalizing the melody are important aspects, what could you add to it from your personal point of view?

I do a lot of singing to myself.

QUESTION 4: What is Rhythmic Contortions? is it the intention to prepare another DVD with more material from you? When is it going to be out in stores? Any news about it?

That sounds like some joke I've made in reference to my books - it doesn't actually exist.
I have no plans at the moment to make another DVD - I'm always having ideas - and when enough ideas build up - I usually make a CD, a book or a DVD - mainly for myself so I can get the ideas out - and give me back some hard drive space in my brain!!!

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-08-2008, 02:15 AM

Hello Gavin,
We have been having a big debate on another thread regarding the pros and cons of open-handed playing ( left hand on hats for a right handed player ).

Would you be so kind as to give any opinions or insight that you have ?

Have you ever tried it ? Any thoughts on why you like or dislike the technique ?
Do you agree with the common opinion that the "feel" will never be the same as right-hand crossover playing ?

I know that there is no one "right" answer that will apply to everyone - just trying to gather some opinions to decide if the potential benefit will be worth the cost, before I spend my valuable practice time learning the technique ( I have been playing cross-handed for about 15 years )

Thanks in advance !
Old 07-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Silver Member

Hello Gavin,

I have been trying to read through this whole thread but something caught my eye and I dont think its been asked yet,but from what I read.... In the re-editions of all the past P. Tree albums, have you guys remade "every" album with you replacing the old drum tracks? I was quite surprised that so many people had nt heard of the band until you we re featured here. I love all the old recordings and have been listening since about 1995 and even though there are alot of synthesized drum tracks they are still just great music. So are you remaking past greats as" Voyage 34" or "Signify" and all the others? I simply love the music and this would be nothing but great news. Hope all is well for you and please, keep it coming! Thanks. By the way I first heard P. Tree in '94 on "wsou-89.5fm...a college station from S. orange, NJ in the NYC area(Seton Hall). This station deserves alot of respect as they have supported all sorts of great artists through the years.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:16 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi skinner

We have been having a big debate on another thread regarding the pros and cons of open-handed playing ( left hand on hats for a right handed player ).
Would you be so kind as to give any opinions or insight that you have ?
Have you ever tried it ? Any thoughts on why you like or dislike the technique ?
Do you agree with the common opinion that the "feel" will never be the same as right-hand crossover playing ?

For a few years I tried to play left hand on my hi hat - and although I liked some of the ideas that came to me - I just couldn't make the time feel as good - and at the end of the day that's the most important thing. In 1986 when I played with Iggy Pop I made my own closed hi hat stand and put it on my right hand side (comfortably low where the floor tom would normally reside). It meant that I could play really fast 8ths punk tempos and still hit the snare drum hard. In 1994 I brought it back when I was with Level 42 (here's a badly focused photo)..

Name:  Gav L42 setup.jpg
Views: 4331
Size:  216.6 KB

I liked the way it made me feel in the 'open handed' way. I played about 3 or 4 of the songs in this position. I never liked having a remote hi hat way out on the right side because it hurt my arm after 5 minutes. I still do occasionally try playing left hand on the hi hat but 98% of the time I just play the traditional hi hat way.

Hi crdirtRider856

In the re-editions of all the past P. Tree albums, have you guys remade "every" album with you replacing the old drum tracks?

No, I just replaced some of the drum machine on "Up the Downstair" and a couple of loop replacements on "The Sky Moves Sideways". There's no plans to have me replace any of the other 'older' albums.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

I just returned from my holidays on mallorca.
I had the idea to create a gavin harrison fanpage, what do you think, would it be sensefull? What do the others think?

// Edit
Here's the Link for the design-draft:
http://vs165143.vserver.de/gavin/

David

Last edited by David Floegel; 07-08-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:48 PM

yes i agree for the fan page :)
Old 07-08-2008, 11:23 PM

Hi Gavin

I´ve been listening your first cd INSANITY & GRAVITY, and it´s a great job , in a different musical direction. I like the ethnical air of it all, violins, trumpets etc... Very nice music. The eight track, in a more jazz fussion direction, "bad news..." it´s simply amazing. Some piano parts reminds me Chick Corea Electric Band´s "eye of the beholder"...

I have to admit thar under you "bad" ;-) influence, i´ve bought and 12" oriental china trash!!! and it brought a fresh and funny touch to my old set of K´s (from 1988). Great influence anyway!. Thanks.

Best wishes
Gustavo.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:00 PM

The drums at the begining of the song mellotron scratch. Are they sampled-drums or did you just put some kind of effect on them after you recorded them?

Cheers!
Old 07-11-2008, 06:07 AM

Gavin, first of all, thanks for your continuing help with the answers to our questions! It's an honor to have such a talent helping us on the drumming world!

But I need some enlightment...

I have this trip to London that I'll make exactly in October, I'll be there for 2 weeks. Actually, it'll be quite an experience since I'm going to follow a 2-week session at Abbey Road, cool huh?

Anyway, I was planning on going to the Indigo2 concert, but unfortunately it's sold out! Since I don't know how is the ticket system in London, I was looking for some help, 'cause I'm coming all the way from Brazil and I really wanted to see you guys. Do you know if there's any possibility the venue making more tickets available prior to the show? I REALLY need a ticket and if there's not any way I could get them through the venue, I'll have to stay outside the venue waiting for someone give up a ticket! Hope I can find a way to see you guys, it would really be a dream come true to me!

I'm SO sorry to bother you with this, but I'm researching ANY possibilities to get a ticket! Again, sorry to bother you!

Congratulations on one more MD Reader's Poll and best wishes!

Heitor.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:07 PM

Hello again,

so as it turns out...im gona be upgrading my kit in about a month
these guys at mapex are giving me an A level endorsement scheme and 30% off on Mapex Saturn (the kit that chris adler uses)
however i seem to be hell bent on buying a sonor....BUT my budget for a 5 piece is uptp 2000 USD
now force 3005 is available for around 1000 USD
i was wondering if theres any kit that costs between 1500-2000 USD
the SQ2 and Designers are obviously waayyyyy out of my budget

this is my current setup :)

one of my bands managed to record a song for a mainstream hindi movie at the best studio in India
i made the sound engineer listen to Trains and requested him to get my kit as well as the band to sound like Porcupine tree :D
id really appreciate it if youd review
1) the song
2) the drum phrasing
3) drum sound
4) production

the lyrics are in hindi so dont bother trying to get them :)
unless you know the language :)

thanks again :)
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Rabbi-almost final.mp3 (4.89 MB, 577 views)
Old 07-11-2008, 01:40 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi DTrocks

The drums at the begining of the song mellotron scratch. Are they sampled-drums or did you just put some kind of effect on them after you recorded them?

They are programmed sampled drums.

Hi Heitor

Anyway, I was planning on going to the Indigo2 concert, but unfortunately it's sold out! Since I don't know how is the ticket system in London, I was looking for some help, 'cause I'm coming all the way from Brazil and I really wanted to see you guys. Do you know if there's any possibility the venue making more tickets available prior to the show?

I know the concert has sold out - and we have no control over the ticket sales or have any way of getting extra tickets. As far as I know they do not hold any reserve of tickets.

Hi drumbumhamza

my budget for a 5 piece is uptp 2000 USD
now force 3005 is available for around 1000 USD
i was wondering if theres any kit that costs between 1500-2000 USD
the SQ2 and Designers are obviously waayyyyy out of my budget

S-Classix ?...but I've no idea what they cost.

id really appreciate it if youd review
1) the song
2) the drum phrasing
3) drum sound
4) production

All good.

For those of you who are curious to see a bit of my performance at DRUMMER LIVE 08 there's a new video over at Vic Firth's site

http://www.vicfirth.com/artists/harrison.html

It's the first track of my CD with 05Ric called "Unsettled"

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-11-2008, 04:11 PM

Hi Gavin,

I've seen that video over at Vic Firth - great job!! I remember way back in this forum asking you how intense that recording session was for you and you mentioned it was very challenging. And that you might be a little nervous if you were asked to play it live. I can tell how proud you are of your drumming on the 05Ric album, and I want you to know it was just terrific to see you play Unsettled LIVE! Awesome job! You know, if you had time you could make an "advanced instructional DVD" on your drumming concepts for 05Ric alone! I know I would buy it...and you'd keep me very busy for months!

How soon until another 05Ric album?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 07-12-2008, 01:53 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Thanks JeffV71,

we're working on a new one right now. Hope to release it later this year.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-13-2008, 12:22 PM

Hi Gavin,

Do you have any special tricks for memorizing and playing long/complicated songs, such as "anesthetize"?. I'm well aware of the theory behind Time signatures, phrasing, note values, etc. Besides relentless practicing, is there any tricks you've picked up over the years that has helped you?

Cant wait for you and the Crimson guys to put out a new record. I know you guys are going to do some shows in the US. Is that a mini tour, which will be possibly lead to a larger more thorough tour of the states?(most notably the Los Angeles area)

Sorry if someone has asked you any of this. I looked around for that question, and didn't see it.

I dont know if you remember my last post, but i mentioned that I played 19 days at my Berklee audition. It went very well, by the way.

Thanks for your time on this website.

mike.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:54 PM

Hey Gavin!

Just one question, that I came to think about the other day. Did you listen to porcupine tree (or any of steven's projects) before acctually joining the band?
Old 07-14-2008, 02:07 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Zildjian232

Do you have any special tricks for memorizing and playing long/complicated songs, such as "anesthetize"?. I'm well aware of the theory behind Time signatures, phrasing, note values, etc. Besides relentless practicing, is there any tricks you've picked up over the years that has helped you?

If you're using a backing track of any kind - then it's really easy. Record vocal cues for yourself on a separate track that only you can hear (or you can put makers in the click track). Other than that I usually have a chart written out - and it's just a question of playing it many many times before it sinks in. Occasionally you have to count (which I really don't like doing) but sometimes it's the only way.

Hi DTrocks

Did you listen to porcupine tree (or any of steven's projects) before acctually joining the band?

Short answer - no.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-15-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zildjian232 View Post
Do you have any special tricks for memorizing and playing long/complicated songs, such as "anesthetize"?. I'm well aware of the theory behind Time signatures, phrasing, note values, etc. Besides relentless practicing, is there any tricks you've picked up over the years that has helped you?.
On the Rhythmic Horizons DVD he talks about a visual association system that's good for counting long sections. Say, for instance, you have to count a part that goes for 10 bars and you use five toms, you could look at one tom at the start of each bar and start over at the first tom after five bars to save yourself from having to count up to 10. I've used this system quite a lot in my own playing; even if its a part that goes 32 times or something, using everything on your kit--shells, cymbals, hardware--you can usually come up with enough combinations of things to last for that whole part. I like this system because I am a big fan of anything that lets me take my mind off of counting and timekeeping and lets me concentrate on other things like feel and improvisation (this is also the reason I like playing to clicks).

Of course as Gavin says, there's no replacement for just playing a part hundreds of times until you can just play it on autopilot.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:37 AM

I got introduced to Gavin by the singer of my band bring along a Porcupine Tree Cd, In Absentia. I sat down and listened to a few tracks and i thought it was good but nothing to amazing, then my singer stood up and changed the track to a song called The Creator Has A Mastertape and i loved it from then on with the complex polyrhythm between the hands and feet, I then went back of all the tracks and just listened out for the drums and i realised that there is alot hidden in these drums, after that i was hooked. I then got more of the albums(eg Deadwing). I was inspired by the creativity of Gavin and the way that he could come up with groove that no one else could play but everyone else could listen to, so he has the perfect balance.

I then went and his dvd set and could not stop trying to learn his stuff even though it was too hard but i pushed myself and am now getting there, so i should thank Gavin, for his mastership of his instrument has made me into the drum i am today.

So for any drummer who want to be amazed watch this, and just wait until 1:20 for the beauty that is Gavin Harrison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNViiEpx8Y

Hey Gavin

May i ask how you do that high hat fill in the song Swerve (it is at about 1 minute 20 sencond)?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:52 AM

hello,
another recording related question

after we recorded our song, there was this band from UK that had come down to record some fusion stuff with an Indian artist
now their sound engineer....reversed a speaker....so it works like a mic.....and attached it (using a metal extinguisher can for support) to the bass drum resonant skin....
our sound engineer said it was to capture some low end bass rumble or something...
have you come across such a setup ?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbumhamza View Post
hello,
another recording related question

after we recorded our song, there was this band from UK that had come down to record some fusion stuff with an Indian artist
now their sound engineer....reversed a speaker....so it works like a mic.....and attached it (using a metal extinguisher can for support) to the bass drum resonant skin....
our sound engineer said it was to capture some low end bass rumble or something...
have you come across such a setup ?
I've used this in a couple of recordings. It's the same thing as a Yamaha sub kick, but luckily it's pretty easy to build one so there's no reason to pay out the ass for one from Yamaha. I used one on a recent recording that was just a speaker cone wired in reverse housed in a wooden box and attached to a tom arm on a small stand. It is really good for picking up low end off of the kick.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:15 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi odrummer,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNViiEpx8Y
May i ask how you do that high hat fill in the song Swerve (it is at about 1 minute 20 second)?

yes it's very simple. Groups of 3/16 between the right hand, left hand & the hi hat foot. Then I just double the notes in my hands. So it's still a group of 3/16 one is the hi hat foot then 2 32nds with my right hand on the hi hat and then 2 32nds on the snare with my left hand. At that speed it sounds like a continuous roll.

Hi drumbumhamza,

as NeuroAxis said - Yamaha make this kind of thing. I actually bought one - but sent it back as I didn't like it.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-16-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroAxis View Post
I've used this in a couple of recordings. It's the same thing as a Yamaha sub kick, but luckily it's pretty easy to build one so there's no reason to pay out the ass for one from Yamaha. I used one on a recent recording that was just a speaker cone wired in reverse housed in a wooden box and attached to a tom arm on a small stand. It is really good for picking up low end off of the kick.

oh :)
thanks
hehe it looked kinda weird to me
Old 07-17-2008, 07:30 PM

Hi Gavin...

I have a technique question...

I recently put on Sting's Ten Summoner's Tales album which features the brilliant drumming of Vinnie Colauita.

Anyway as I was trying to play along to the song Seven Days, I found it challeging to play the fast 16th notes he does on the hihat.
To me he plays 16ths and accents every quarter note RrrrRrrr, and the song being in 5/8 the hihat pattern overrides, am I right???

On the video it looks like he makes the motions of playing only the 8thnotes while at the same time playing Rrrr, as I mentioned earlier. Playing it like playing 8th notes makes the overriding easier, because of the placing of the bass and snaredrum..

How would you play this rhythm, motionwise.. also like cycling 8th notes or only accenting the quarter note???

And do you play it thumb up or thumb down on this tempo???

I know it might be hard to explain, but please try
Old 07-17-2008, 10:03 PM

Hey Gavin ,

I bought recently a Sennheiser MX 460 ( i think the dont make the 400 anymore.. ). I heard it and i thought it has extreme high snareoutput on records .. do you feel that similiar to yours?

Another Question .. im searching for an Hi-Hat Mic , i know you where using the AKG C 391( which is available in Germany for 269 € ) do you use it live also? And why did you prefer a very cheaper mic that e.g. your overheads?

Finally , how you set up your hi hat mic and did you use effects or eq's on it?

very thankful ,

B.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:02 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Drizzle

Anyway as I was trying to play along to the song Seven Days, I found it challeging to play the fast 16th notes he does on the hihat.To me he plays 16ths and accents every quarter note RrrrRrrr, and the song being in 5/8 the hihat pattern overrides, am I right???

Correct.

On the video it looks like he makes the motions of playing only the 8thnotes while at the same time playing Rrrr, as I mentioned earlier. Playing it like playing 8th notes makes the overriding easier, because of the placing of the bass and snaredrum..
How would you play this rhythm, motionwise.. also like cycling 8th notes or only accenting the quarter note??? And do you play it thumb up or thumb down on this tempo???

First off - he's miming on this video - it's just a playback thing going on. I would do the same motion for this rhythm - and play thumb on the side (more German grip than French).
A good track to play along to and build up right hand 16ths stamina is Michael McDonalnd's "I Keep Forgettin'". You soon realise that Jeff Porcaro had incredible control to make it feel that smooth over 5 minutes.

Hi Trains'

I bought recently a Sennheiser MX 460 ( i think the dont make the 400 anymore.. ). I heard it and i thought it has extreme high snareoutput on records .. do you feel that similiar to yours?

I don't know what you mean.

Another Question .. im searching for an Hi-Hat Mic , i know you where using the AKG C 391( which is available in Germany for 269 € ) do you use it live also? And why did you prefer a very cheaper mic that e.g. your overheads?

Live, our sound engineer likes the Neumann KM183 on the Hi Hat. For overheads at home I now use a pair of Neumann TLM103's

Finally , how you set up your hi hat mic and did you use effects or eq's on it?

I have pointing down near the edge of the top cymbal (about 3 inches above it when the hi hat is open). EQ wise I just roll off all the low end frequencies - that's it.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-17-2008, 11:27 PM

Hey,

sorry for my awful english :-/

I will try it a second time .. i ment , have the sennheisers a different sound through the inearplug ( the custom thing.. ) ?

And i forgot a question.. do you already know which concert you will film for the dvd? I would like to travel to that concert so .. ;-)

Thanks for your time and sorry for the worse english

Last edited by Trains'; 07-18-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:30 PM

Hi Gavin,

I have 2 questions:

First one about tuning
You once posted on this website:

tom 5 lowest
tom 4 augmented 5th above tom 5
tom 3 augmented 5th above tom 4
tom 2 perfect 4th above tom 3
tom 1 perfect 5th above tom 2

which would be in correspondence with

tom 5 G
tom 4 Eb
tom 3 A
tom 2 D
tom 1 A

What would you recommend if you have a 3-tom setup? For instance (from small tom to larger tom) A - Eb - G or recommend A - D - A

--

Second, I would like to know something which you played on your instructional DVD Rhytmic Horizons.

It's in the chapter of 'Overriding' and then the DVD player says chapter 16 of 'Overriding'. The fill leading you in the groove after the snare notes is that kick-kick-lowtom-snare snare-snare. Would be really cool if you could explain it a bit further since it's quite up to speed there (I want to apply it to my one basspedal setup which can be done, but I would like to know the exact thing).

Thanks!!