DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-16-2007, 11:54 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Angelo,

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo View Post
Hi Gavin,Have you tried to use a Neumann U 47 Fet like additional microphone in kick drum? What do you think about?.
I am trying to study the double pedal, I could use the book syncopation?
or which other book? I am using the book of Bobby Rondinelli: “The Encyclopedia of Double Bass Drumming”, but I would want to know to use the feet like the hands, roll, ruff, paradiddle, and many more.
yes I have tried a Neumann u47 just in front of the front skin of the bass drum. It sounds great. I don't know which books to study for double bass drumming. I'm not really a double bass drum player - so I'm not a good person to ask. If you want to use your feet - like your hands - then I'd probably suggest studying a snare drum book.

Hi scottkahn

Thanks for the interview!!

Cheers
Gavin
Old 07-17-2007, 11:45 AM

Hi Gavin !

I took some time to listen to your new project and Im impressed ! I cant wait till its out in the stores. I like it very much so far !
Is 05ric using a chapmanstick? The site says extended range bass but it looks like some kind of chapmanstick (it also sounds like one. Tony Levin uses the stick a lot aswell as Adrian Belew from King Crimson)

I know you like the music from pat metheny a lot. I was wondering if you are into jazz drumming yourself and have done some jazz projects in the past (if so, which ones? Im very curious about that and love to hear it !). If not, is it something you want to do someday?

Thanks
Santi
Old 07-17-2007, 07:31 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi SantiBanks,

Glad you like it. I'm REALLY happy with it. I think it's the best thing I've done so far. I don't think 05Ric is playing any stick on this new project.
I haven't played any jazz in such a long time - I'd love to but I never get asked!!

Could be a good project for the future though.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-17-2007, 08:18 PM

Gavin,
Is release still sheduled for sometime august? In that case, makes me a nice b-day present for me...

Maybe the jazz guys don't ask as you are more known as a rock drummer then a jazz one... If you ever find yourself in a jazz setting, let us all know here ! Im sure many are interested (well at least I am...)

I was reading the interview (couple of posts back) and noticed that you are doing session work from pretty young on and later on getting your own drum studio etc. Id like to have my own drum and production studio in a couple of years and maybe do session work too. Any tips for this?
Thanks again,
Santi
Old 07-18-2007, 06:28 AM

Hello Gavin,

Question about the sound and tone of your SQ2 drums. I have a set of DW's that are quite the resonating drums and they sound great, but they ring WAY to much. I know you place rings on the resonant head on the inside of the tom, but do you put anything on the batter head, at least the batter's underside to decrease the ring?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 07-18-2007, 03:49 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi crookedrook,
I don't use any dampening other than the "internal" O ring on the 14" floor tom.
I have - in the past - with other drums reverted to loops of Gaffa tape (duck tape?).

Now that I'm using the Safe-Hoops on all my toms - I have made some O rings that would rest on the top head and just under the inverted rim - but I haven't found that necessary so far.

With the SQ2 there is the Sonor acoustic dampening system (I can't remember the exact name) - this was a feature from the Designer drums. It means that you can have more (or less) of the vibration passed through to the hardware with the adjustment of a knob. I utilise that a bit.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-18-2007, 04:05 PM

hi gavin. its called "acoustigate" glad you are a pat metheny fan! there are not enough of us around. offramp is an incredible album!
i have never been able to figure out what dan gottelieb is doing in the drum break of the track "eighteen" and probably never will.....
dont laugh lol
Old 07-18-2007, 08:58 PM

Hi Gavin,

I've heard a lot about these S-Hoops lately. Just for clarification, are you now using them on the tops and bottoms of the toms (snare drums too)? What prompted you to give them a try on the rest of your toms? Lastly, is there a definite difference in sound on the playback (after tracking)?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 07-19-2007, 01:29 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi JeffV71,
I'm using the S-Hoops on the tops of the toms and top and bottom of the snare.
I originally got curious about them after reading a review in Drummer magazine. They seem to make sense to me - and because I'm someone who likes using "O" rings I though it would be a great way to stop them flying off mid tune. Carrying on that idea I thought it would be good to try them on the toms too. They do subtly change the sound of the drum (for the better in my opinion) and they have a rigidity to them like die cast but without the tone sucking weight.
Plus, of course, it's impossible to damage your bearing edges once they're on.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 07-21-2007, 02:06 AM

Hello Gavin!

I'm pretty new here, but i have a few questions for you -

In the song "So Called Friend", during the 2nd chorus (3:20 into the song) you play an amazing piece where you bounce around between your ride bell and chimes, at least that's what it sounds like... is this just straight 16th notes? or do you play a pattern

also, i recall seeing something about which snare wires you prefer (Puresounds, i know) , but could you specify which ones? I have my eye on the Custom 14" 16-strand set...

Thanks very much, and thank you for being such an amazing inspiration!

PS - your project with Carlo Fimiani sounds amazing!!! i love this kind of music, and i bet it was a blast for you to play!

Last edited by xopethx; 07-21-2007 at 03:19 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:00 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi xopethx

Quote:
Originally Posted by xopethx View Post
In the song "So Called Friend", during the 2nd chorus (3:20 into the song) you play an amazing piece where you bounce around between your ride bell and chimes, at least that's what it sounds like... is this just straight 16th notes? or do you play a pattern

also, i recall seeing something about which snare wires you prefer (Puresounds, i know) , but could you specify which ones?

PS - your project with Carlo Fimiani sounds amazing!!! i love this kind of music, and i bet it was a blast for you to play!
I think it's just combinations of singles and doubles. (The doubles always being in the right hand part on the ride bell). The left hand jumps from the bells to the snare drum.
The Puresound snares that I use are Custom P-1412 (and then I strip them down to 8 strands in the middle).

Yes I enjoyed making the session for Carlo - I think it came out pretty well.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 07-23-2007, 02:36 AM

Glad to hear that PT is coming to my home town Cincinnati, Ohio. Can't wait...our lead guitarist is the PT Team Leader for this area.

Thanks, Rob
Old 07-23-2007, 12:30 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

For those of you in America/Mexico/Canada who may be interested in seeing Porcupine Tree - here's our new tour list:

Wed 03 Oct - ORLANDO, FL, HOUSE OF BLUES
Sat 06 Oct - MEXICO CITY, METROPOLITAN THEATER
Tue 09 Oct - ASHEVILLE, ORANGE PEEL
Thu 11 Oct - RALEIGH, NC, LINCOLN THEATER
Fri 12 Oct - WASHINGTON, DC, STATE THEATER
Sat 13 Oct - NEW YORK, NY, BEACON THEATER
Mon 15 Oct - QUEBEC, SALLE ALBERT - ROUSSEAU
Tue 16 Oct - TORONTO, ON, PHOENIX
Thu 18 Oct - ALBANY, THE EGG
Fri 19 Oct - HARTFORD, CT, WEBSTER THEATER
Mon 22 Oct - CLEVELAND, OH, HOB
Tue 23 Oct - CINCINNATI, OH, BOGART'S
Wed 24 Oct - KANSAS CITY, MO, BEAMOUNT
Fri 26 Oct - NEW ORLEANS, LA, VOODOO FEST
Sat 27 Oct - HOUSTON, TX, MERIDIAN
Sun 28 Oct - DALLAS, TX, HOUSE OF BLUES
Mon 29 Oct - ATLANTA, GA, ROXY

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-23-2007, 03:35 PM

Hi Gavin

After seeing PT in Bristol earlier this year, my wife has bought me tickets for the show at Kentish Town forum on 9th November.

On 8th November, I'll be seeing Chad Smith and Steve White do a clinic at The Point in Cardiff bay, so three diverse, but great drummers in two days.

Not that I mind travelling, but I wonder whether there could be any plans afoot that would give us Welsh PT fans a show that's a bit closer to home? Perhaps the Point in Cardiff, Newport Centre or something similar? Would love to see you and the guys on home ground.

Thanks for the inspiration.

All the best to you and the band.

Last edited by gapwedge; 07-23-2007 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Grammatical
Old 07-23-2007, 08:32 PM

I will definitely be at the NY show! I just saw you guys in May in Philly, and you were awesome! It would be awesome to meet you this time, but I know you guys are very busy! Can't wait, and reading this just made my day!!!!
-Josh

Last edited by XboxIsAGodToMe; 07-23-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:43 PM

Gavin,

Tue 23 Oct - CINCINNATI, OH, BOGART'S

Cant wait to see you play live. Me and Steve Katsikas of Little Atlas will be in attendence..

If you dont know about Little Atlas perhaps you should take a listen. You might like it. Prog in the sence of early Genesis etc...

You can listen to their last release called wanderlust on www.10trecords.com.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:49 PM

Gavin,

I have been using S-hoops for a while now on my snare and love em to death. They are made and were 1st sold in my hometown at mom's music. Cool guy too.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:27 AM

Dear Gavin,

I always had a question ive been wanting to ask a successful drummer like yourself in the music industry. What do you think were the main components that got you where you are today? and how did you break into it? I've got my heart set on being a studio musician and am doing everything in my power to make it there. I've been practicing 2 - 3 hours a day, playing all the gigs i can get and trying to gain as much knownledge of music whether its in drumming, recording, music theory etc. But is there a trick or luck invovled with your success? or was it just going out there and doing the best you could? or did a certain group you played with take you for the ride to playing as a session drummer? Any help would be much appericated.

Cheers, Ethan.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:23 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi emmerson,

What do you think were the main components that got you where you are today? and how did you break into it?

Determination. In many ways I always felt like I was still waiting to 'break into' the music business - and in some ways I still do. I think the golden age of being a session musician has long gone. The days of musicians getting 5-6 sessions a week in big studios are really gone. More likely is that someone will ask you to play on one or two tracks on their 'self funded' CD recorded at a home studio...if you're lucky enough to get asked.
Being in the right place at the right time always helps - but meeting and playing with a lot of different musicians will broaden your chances. You really need to know the producers and artists who might give you a break.

Good luck.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 07-25-2007, 10:31 PM

Hello Gavin,

out of curiosity; why do you prefer your snare with rounded bearing edges, added warmth?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:36 PM

Hi Gavin, big fan, i've taken a big interest in your work with p.t and have studied your available dvd's, books, etc. My question has already probably been answered somewhere
but i can't track it down... What double kick exercises did/do you practice to obtain the speed and dexterity you show in tunes like Futile, Anesthetize and Mother and son divided (live version more so)? I have limited practice time at present (1st floor flat!!) so any concise methods are most welcome.
Thanx for the inspiration.
Dom Chandler

p.s did i read you are thinking about putting 'the drum song' on the next p.t dvd??
what might that be pray tell??
Old 07-26-2007, 01:04 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi tomtom,

why do you prefer your snare with rounded bearing edges, added warmth?

I don't really like a ringy snare drum - so the lack of it due to the round bearing edges is a positive for me. There's more skin in contact with the shell - and I get more of the wood sound of the drum. Companies like Gretsch have been doing this for ages.

Hi Dom Chandler

What double kick exercises did/do you practice to obtain the speed and dexterity you show in tunes like Futile, Anesthetize and Mother and son divided (live version more so)? I have limited practice time at present (1st floor flat!!) so any concise methods are most welcome.

As I've mentioned before in this thread - I really don't think of myself as a double pedal player. If you want good advice about that - I'd ask Derek Roddy. My method is based on short bursts of 2,3,4 and sometimes 5 notes in a row. Always starting with the right foot and always using single strokes. I just figured out little patterns that I could play short bursts in between what my hands were doing. It's very handy to use the 'bursts' inside fills.

did i read you are thinking about putting 'the drum song' on the next p.t dvd??
what might that be pray tell??

Do you have my DVD Rhythmic Horizons? The "Drum Song" is on there along with the "Cymbal Song". I'll probably make a 5.1 surround mix of it too.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
For those of you in America/Mexico/Canada who may be interested in seeing Porcupine Tree - here's our new tour list:

cheers
Gavin

Gavin:

Thank you for posting a new schedule for the PT tour schedule. I discovered that on your website that I had missed your concert in May 2007 in Toronto by one week :-(

I will absolutely be going to the October concert!. I am very appreciative of your playing skill and your interpretive view of the songs that you play. You have inspired me to approach my instrument differently and consider its infinite possiblities. I really like your custom splash cymbal rack and would love to know the type of cymbals that you use on it (and if I am duplicative on this thread please ignore the request) as I like the textures they add.

One question, can you give me a few more examples of your odd meter playing? I have listened to the majority of the PT catalog but I am always open to more! What would you consider as some of your best recorded playing?

I have been playing for 20+ years and I am very grateful for your inspiration! (No a suckup lol, just a statement of fact!)

Cheers,

Tim
Old 07-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

cheers
Gavin

Gavin:

Thank you for posting a new schedule for the PT tour schedule. I discovered on your website that I had missed your concert in May 2007 in Toronto by one week :-(

I will absolutely be going to the October concert!. I am very appreciative of your playing skill and your interpretive view of the songs that you play. You have inspired me to approach my instrument differently and consider its infinite possiblities. I really like your custom splash cymbal rack and would love to know the type of cymbals that you use on it (and if I am duplicative on this thread please ignore the request) as I like the textures they add.

One question, can you give me a few more examples of your odd meter playing? I have listened to the majority of the PT catalog but I am always open to more! What would you consider as some of your best recorded playing?

I have been playing for 20+ years and I am very grateful for your inspiration! (No a suckup lol, just a statement of fact!)

Cheers,

Tim
Old 07-26-2007, 10:40 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Drumkill,

I really like your custom splash cymbal rack and would love to know the type of cymbals that you use on it (and if I am duplicative on this thread please ignore the request) as I like the textures they add.

Have a look at post number 507 (around page 15 on this thread).

I'm usually happiest with the latest thing that I've done. There's heaps of odd meter stuff on the (coming out very soon) GH 05Ric record. A lot of strange rhythmic ideas on there.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 07-27-2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Hi tomtom,

why do you prefer your snare with rounded bearing edges, added warmth?

I don't really like a ringy snare drum - so the lack of it due to the round bearing edges is a positive for me. There's more skin in contact with the shell - and I get more of the wood sound of the drum. Companies like Gretsch have been doing this for ages.
Thanx for your reply. I just want to add that I find it amazing that you take your time to answer the countless questions and comments from us drum nerds. I guess you must be single! ;=)
Old 07-28-2007, 06:32 AM

Hey Gavin,
Glad to hear your getting some rest from the latest tour, hope everything went well. Also glad to hear your coming back to the states this fall. looking forward to the Albany show. You'll like the EGG, its a nice space, very intimate. Anyways, just curious if there was any follies or technical difficulties you encountered on the last tour that caught your attention or that you learned from. Take care and God bless.

MM
Old 07-29-2007, 04:08 AM

Hi Gavin,

it's great to see you on the boards! You're a huge inspiration to many, myself included. I've watched your two DVDs and learned a lot from them - especially the excersize in keeping time where you used different spacings on your hi-hat... can't remember the terms at the moment, but I had great use of it. It really does wonders paired with the metronome of course.

On a side note, I saw PT in Oslo the 11th. Brilliant show, best live performance I've witnessed so far, power failure or not.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:32 AM

Gavin,

I noticed on Sonor's website they have 3-different types of shell thickness: Vintage, Medium and Heavy. Which thickness gives the the most warmth that a maple can give? which do you have?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 07-29-2007, 12:50 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Midnite Mike,

Anyways, just curious if there was any follies or technical difficulties you encountered on the last tour that caught your attention or that you learned from

I think the only real problem we had was in Oslo as Acronomic pointed out. The power for the PA went off several times. We didn't realise it because we all have in ear monitoring and it's really hard to tell sometimes if the PA is on or not. My roadie kept waving at me to tell me to stop the show. We came off stage for a few minutes a couple of times and wondered what are you meant to do if the PA never gets back on? We felt bad because it was a great audience and a great venue - plus our first time playing in Oslo.

Hi crookedrook,

I noticed on Sonor's website they have 3-different types of shell thickness: Vintage, Medium and Heavy. Which thickness gives the the most warmth that a maple can give? which do you have?

Actually there's 4 types. Vintage (which is the thinest and has support rings inside) then Thin (straight 6 ply no rings) then Medium (7 ply?) and Heavy (which I think is 9 ply).

Regarding warmth - I would say the Vintage shell. I have a combination of shell thickness.
My rack toms are "Thin" floor toms are "Medium" and bass drum is "Heavy".

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-29-2007, 02:41 PM

Hi Gavin,

although I've been listening to Prog Rock Bands since the early '70s, I enjoyed Sam Brown's "Stop" in the '80s and Iggy Pop since the '80s up to now, used to be a drummer in the '80s and '90s, I have randomly heard from you and PT just a few weeks ago. I am so impressed of your music that I bought a lot of CDs and the DVD right from Amazon and, lucky me, you were on tour in Germany and played in Offenbach, near my hometown, the 30th of June. This was a sign! I bought one of the tickets for unbelivable 28 Euros (The Stones cost 150 Euros, I guess) and saw the best live performance (art, sound, atmosphere) since The Pretenders (special guest: The Waterboys) in the '80s. Porcupine Tree's music is the one I was searching for more than 30 years. And the only music I listen to for weeks now, in my car, at home, at the PC, at this moment. Go ahead with your fantastic work, you are the perfect drummer of a perfect band. I can't wait for your next releases or tour!

Edited: Can you tell us something about PT's new fanclub site http://residentsofablankplanet.com? What that's all about? What can members expect for their $35/year (+ $20 for shipping a PT-Shirt and a small lithography to Europe)? Why is it located in the US?

Last edited by loser_user; 07-30-2007 at 04:16 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-31-2007, 09:05 AM

Hey Gavin

It's good to see you guys are playing more and more shows in North America but what about western Canada??? There is Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg......Toronto and Montreal just doesn't make for a Canadian tour (although unless you live in Toronto and therefore live in the center of the universe).

By the way I just fulfilled a dream and went to see RUSH here in Calgary. What a great show!!! During the intermission (they played for 3.5 hrs!) they were playing FOABP over the PA.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:16 PM

Hi Gavin. Thanks for this, man, it really keeps one going when someone of ones heroes speaks to the fans like this. Really appreciate it!

Now to MY question ;)

Playing to click, I've been doing this on my latest two recordings. Thing is, our music - much like that of opeth - change from 4/4 to 3/4 and 6/8 alot in the same song.

So how do I play accurately to these parts? I want to know if you encounter this and what you do about it (I play one song in one take).

Thanks in advance,
David Lingdell.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Gavin

I want to congrats you for being now in Neil Peart favorite drummer list along with Buddy Rich, Dave Weckl, Steve Smith and (RIP) Ian Wallace. In fact it's written by Neil himself in the Modern Drummer august edition (Neil Snakes & Arrows article).

I know you're a very humble person but I'm sure you must be proud of your accomplishment.

Take care
A+

My Kit Latest Update
Old 08-01-2007, 01:07 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gibbersticks,

It's good to see you guys are playing more and more shows in North America but what about western Canada??? There is Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg.

We'd love to come and play those places but the economics of it just never seems to pan out for us. It's a double edge sword of being popular enough to get a decent fee to make it viable to come - but how do you get popular if you don't go and play those places? There's lots of cities around the world that people ask us to play - and we'd love to - but it always comes down to the same crunch point unfortunately.

Hi davling,

Playing to click, I've been doing this on my latest two recordings. Thing is, our music - much like that of opeth - change from 4/4 to 3/4 and 6/8 alot in the same song.
So how do I play accurately to these parts? I want to know if you encounter this and what you do about it (I play one song in one take).

Sometimes I program the click to change feel from 4/4 to 6/8 or whatever is required. I could just play everything to a 4/4 click - but why make life difficult for yourself? The listeners never hear the click so who cares what you program it to do? I always choose whatever will make me perform and feel the best. I usually program clicks that follow the time signature.

If you're interested - I wrote an article about writing click tracks..

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug0...licktracks.htm

Hi mind_drummer,
yes I saw that article. I'm honoured and flattered that Neil thinks of me in that way!!

Cheers
Gavin
Old 08-01-2007, 11:25 AM

Thanks alot Gav, helps me very much :)

Regards,
David Lingdell.

I could just play everything to a 4/4 click - but why make life difficult for yourself?

BTW, this is actually how I have done it so far :P So I really hope this article helps, gonna read it now!

Also, what program do you use when programming click?

Thanks again!
Old 08-01-2007, 12:03 PM

Hi Gavin.Have you tried to use a 10"or other china or crash with jingles?. What do you think about?
This is another experiment i like the sound with double bass and 10" china with jingles.
I like a china sound and i have: 10", 12",14" and 20" china.
Have you a 8 "hi hat? You describe to me as you have obtained it

thanks for your time you are a magnificent and best person
Angelo
Old 08-01-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
We'd love to come and play those places but the economics of it just never seems to pan out for us. It's a double edge sword of being popular enough to get a decent fee to make it viable to come - but how do you get popular if you don't go and play those places? There's lots of cities around the world that people ask us to play - and we'd love to - but it always comes down to the same crunch point unfortunately.
I guess the only way would be to get an opening slot on a major tour. Every major tour comes through this way and a lot of them do multiple dates. There are tons of shows in the smaller venues. I'm guessing your show is too big a production to do the whole 5 guys in a van thing. Oh well. It will happen someday I'm sure.

Cheers
Daniel
Old 08-02-2007, 03:45 PM

Gday Gavin, since I discovered Porcupine Tree through my ex girlfriend about a year ago, your playing has been a huge influence on me. Absolutely inspiring stuff!

Just a couple of quick questions: I'm wondering about that crazy fill in Anethsetize at about 6:13. I suspect it's something fairly simple, but it sounds amazing, what is it? Also the heavy double kicks part at 11:04, what's the pattern there? It doesn't sound like constant 16ths or 32nds or whatever. Also, when are you guys coming to Australia? I'm desperate to see you live! Thanks for your time :D
Old 08-03-2007, 12:31 AM

Hi gavin.
Excuse me. I used a closed hi hat "Dixon" for two 8" splash as hi hat. But i have a big problem, becouse the bell of splash is small and the cluch it blinks on the bolt, to block the bottom splash.
Can you to say me if you used a closed hi hat stand for this "Splash- Hi hat"? which he marks and model you use?

"Thanks a lot for your infinite patience"

Angelo

Last edited by angelo; 08-03-2007 at 12:58 AM.