DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-07-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin

I was watching the video of you playing Futile on your Rythmic Horizons DVD. I noticed there was a strange black ring around the snare and I was curious as to what it was. Is it just part of that particular snare drum or is it an add on of some kind?

Daniel
Old 07-07-2007, 04:43 PM

Hi Scone,

It's probably the Safe Hoops he uses.

Greetz
Drizzle
Old 07-07-2007, 10:45 PM

hi Scone it is a 0" rig muff'l 1inch
Angelo
Old 07-08-2007, 01:19 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Angelo,
yes that's correct it's just a black "O" ring for muffling. I'm curious - how did you cut down a 10" snare to fit an 8" drum ?

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-08-2007, 05:39 PM

Helloo Master!!

One curiosity (if i can) :P : How many double pedal does he have??
I know the "Giant step" and that's most expensive :P But is Fantastic!!

Last edited by Fabio; 07-08-2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:31 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Fabio,

I have had (and still have in my garage somewhere) many types of double pedal.

OK here's some foot nostalgia

Sonor Giant Step
Axis A Longboards (probably the most expensive)
Pearl Eliminators
DW 5002
Premier (the ones with the rubber bands)
Yamaha (from the mid 90's)
The first and second generation of DW (where I used a Tama flexiflyer in the main position). The DW bit was just the left extension.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 07-08-2007, 07:43 PM

Thaaaanxx Master

Thanks for the availability!! and thanx for detailed list :P

Reallyy?? ihhihihihhih,
I imagined that he had all this kind of d.p. :)

Teacher, one question: When he will come in italy for a Clinic??????????????
:D :D :D :D
Old 07-08-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
I'm curious - how did you cut down a 10" snare to fit an 8" drum ?
Hi Gavin, I've cut a Puresound P-1010 and then rejoined it in a smaller version that fitted in the snare 8".Puresound do not produce 8" of diameter snare wire.For me, Puresound is best snare wire, the sound so crisp and clean when used in loud volume, but so sensitive and articulate when played with brushes.

cheers
Angelo
Old 07-08-2007, 09:34 PM

Hey Gavin,
Your drum sound is amazing on the new album. I know that so many variables come into play in achieving such an incredible sound such as head selection, tuning, mic choice and placement, playing technique ect., but I was wondering if could give some insight as to the types of effects (reverb, compression, filters etc.) and/or any tips on EQ/mixing you might have to offer. I know Steven mixed the album but your drums have a signature sound on everything I have heard you on.

Thanks for your time!
Old 07-09-2007, 01:52 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Mr Hat,
I really like the Waves C1 compressor and I use it on the snare drum and sometimes on the whole drumset (very gently). I like the Space Designer reverb plug-in and I use a tiny bit of the Logic Pro eq. That's about it.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-09-2007, 10:53 PM

Hi Master!!

Maybe in this week i will order "Rhythmic Horizons" and "Vision" DVD!! :) :) at last!! :) :)

When will he come in italy??

An embrace!!

Fabio
Old 07-10-2007, 02:06 AM

Hey Gavin,
Thanks for the reply. There is a TON of great info posted on this thread. I've tried the cotton balls but prefer the 1/3" ring cut from an old head resting against the bottom head of the floor toms.
I have a pretty decent drum sound now. DW maple shells w/ ambassadors (coated top and clear bottoms) toms are tuned fairly low. Nice punch. My problem is sympathetic snare buzz when the 10" & 12" are played. Not a huge amount,but enough that it is noticible on playback (Recording. Live, the buzz is not an issue.). I've tried to tune around the problem but once the buzz is gone, the tone suffers. You tune your drums very similarly and your snare wires don't sound overly tight. How do you eliminate the buzz w/o killing your sound? By the way. My primary snare is a Mapex Black Panther tuned medium-high. Bottom head is pretty tight and very evenly tensioned. There is no snare bed cut into the shell that I can see.

Thanks for taking time to respond.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:33 AM

Hi Gavin,
I just recently got both of your dvds on amazon and they both seem great so far, theres so many good things in them to work on.

I'm not sure how involved you are with the remixes of the albums that already had live drums, but a while back before deadwing came out I read on the pt site that stupid dream would be mixed and released after the deadwing tour and that lightbulb sun would follow after touring was done for the following album. I was just curious if this is still the plan, or if you guys will be taking a break or rarin to go to start work on a new album. I discovered you guys just around the time lightbulb sun disappeared and i've always resisted the urge to download it so that there will be some things i've never heard when it finally is re released. But the kickass version of hatesong that i saw live and thats on the arriving somewhere dvd is making me more and more anxious to get it!

thanks,
John
Old 07-10-2007, 07:01 AM

all this talk of dvds has got me wondering. what is the recomended order for the books/dvds? are they all good stand alone works? should certain material be covered first to ensure a full and easy comprehension of other material?

thanks,
Austin
Old 07-10-2007, 10:39 AM

Hi Gavin,I have watched yours rack, and have inasmuch as you have cut to the left side. How many cm you have removed? Normally this is too much along.
You have tried to use a speaker like additional microphone? what of tasks?
I am using on my kick drum, a Electrovoice microphone ND/868 and a 17 cm woofer -speaker
/50 watt/ 8 ohm. this kick drum is much fat. Often i use this also on the 16" floor tom, bottom head. top head microphone is Electrovoice ND/468(I love it)
thanks a lot
Angelo

Last edited by angelo; 07-10-2007 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:22 PM

Hi Gavin,

I read in an interview that In Absentia used a hired DW kit.

Quote:
For the rented DW drum kit that Gavin Harrison played, Northfield used a 57 on the snare, 421s on the toms, a 47 and a D112 on the bass drum, “with fairly close double-heads on the bass drum but with probably an air hole in it, but not a large one; just enough to get the mic stand through.” AKG C12s and B&Ks were used for overheads. He recorded a total of 16 tracks of drums, with one mic for each track.
http://mixonline.com/recording/inter...orcupine_tree/

Did you really record with a rented DW kit on In Absentia? It sounds like the sonor to me (and in fact I think In absentia has one of the best mixes I have ever heared. Everything so audible, clear and detailed but still warm and almost analog).
Especially curious about this as I personally don't like the sound of DW kits. Heared them on a lot of records and heared them live with Genesis, IMHO very overrated and pretty expensive too for the sound it gives. I know "the pro's" use it but I really don't like it. So did you record on a DW?

Thanks !
Santi
Old 07-10-2007, 03:13 PM

hi gavin.
just wanted to say hello. it means alot that someone of your status will take the time to read and respond to fanmail.
i have no technical questions for you, but i just wanted to say that everyone who comes to my house (muscian or not) is forced by me to watch "swerve" on your "rhythmic visions" dvd, and everyone loves it.
anyone who gets a mix cd from me, gets "blackest eyes" included on it, so im spreading the porcupine tree word.
thanks again, i would love to see you guys play live sometime, i have been collecting your cd's now for the last three years and am always blown away. its great to find such a fresh band in todays market. as you know, bands like yous are few and far between.
cheers.
graham.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:15 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Mr Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hat View Post
My problem is sympathetic snare buzz when the 10" & 12" are played. Not a huge amount,but enough that it is noticible on playback (Recording. Live, the buzz is not an issue.). I've tried to tune around the problem but once the buzz is gone, the tone suffers. You tune your drums very similarly and your snare wires don't sound overly tight. How do you eliminate the buzz w/o killing your sound? .
This is why I started cutting down snare wires in the first place - it seemed that the outside ones were a bit looser and were buzzing the most. When I started using Puresound snares wires everything got easier because they are very well made and tensioned in the manufacturing process. Other than that - the most obvious thing is the pitch of the snare against the toms. I turn off my snares and compare the pitch of the snare drum to the toms that are buzzing. If the pitch is close then I know there's going to be some buzzing problems. You never really get rid of all of it - but careful tuning and really good snare wires help.

Hi ZDrums24,

what is the recomended order for the books/dvds? are they all good stand alone works? should certain material be covered first to ensure a full and easy comprehension of other material?

I would suggest the first book "Rhythmic Illusions" and the DVD "Rhythmic Visions" before the second book "Rhythmic Perspectives" and the latest DVD "Rhythmic Horizons". That way you'll get a handle on some of my concepts that develop in the later material.

Hi angelo,

I have watched yours rack, and have inasmuch as you have cut to the left side. How many cm you have removed? Normally this is too much along.
You have tried to use a speaker like additional microphone? what of tasks?

I cut the rack about 12cm - but later I went back to a full length bar again. I tried the "Sub Woofer" in front of the bass drum and it worked well - but personally I didn't like it.

Hi SantiBanks,

Correct. It was during the first week of me switching from Pearl to Sonor and there was a big mix up when I got to NY - so in a panic I got a studio rental company to send me over a DW kit. It sounded good in that room at the Power Station - but the room is so good - I imagine almost any 'pro' kit would.

Hi graham rogers,
thanks for the kind words.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-10-2007, 06:13 PM

Hi Gavin,

Can you tell me what foot technique you use for your offbeat quintuplets and other cool things like in Futile and Anesthetize. Im stuck in a rut playing hand hand foot foot things which is driving me nuts..can you point me to a publication you cover this in or give me any tips. thanks
Old 07-10-2007, 06:28 PM

Hey Gavin!

The concert in Leipzig was just amazing! Great setlist and of course great drumming!
Unbelieveble that your crash breaks after the first song....
Did you have an complete backupset for all cimbals?
By the way, i was very pacified that you missed the end of "mother and child divided", very funny and very humanely. You did a really great job this night.

Thanks for this special experience, maybe you can spare a stick next time.

All the best

Robert
Old 07-10-2007, 10:17 PM

Hi Gavin, how are you? Firstly I'd like to say thankyou for being a great inspiration and helping me to make my playing more mature, I used to go for the Portnoy approach using as many chops as I could, but after listening to your playing and hearing how Organic it was, it made me soon realise that chops are not everything and that drum parts that are less 'busy' can also at the same time still retain their technicality by using other concepts.

Anyway my main question is about Metric modulation concerning the below pattern:

I was sat at the drum set one day played this Pattern which I then decided to transcbribe. Once I'd transcribed the Pattern it appeared to be in 21/16 and at 110BPM, but I soon found that it was a rather hard to use time signature when writing in other instrument parts to it (I also write Guitar, Bass, Keys etc...) I looked at the pattern and decided to use Triplets in place of dotted Quavers and found if I played it around 70 BPM ish that the pattern was for all intents and purposes the same but in 7/8 which I found much easier with which to add other instruments.

My question is how exactly do I work the exact Metric Modulation and shift in Tempo as I know very little about this concept other than subsituting normal Note Lengths for Triplets, changing the Time Signature and slowing the Tempo has the effect of making the Pattern exactly the same.

Hope you're well and thankyou for any help you can offer,

Kev
Old 07-11-2007, 12:51 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi deadwing_007

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwing_007 View Post
I read on the pt site that stupid dream would be mixed and released after the deadwing tour and that lightbulb sun would follow after touring was done for the following album. I was just curious if this is still the plan,
I believe this is still the plan.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 07-11-2007, 02:38 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi TomasHakkesBrain,

Can you tell me what foot technique you use for your offbeat quintuplets and other cool things like in Futile and Anesthetize. Im stuck in a rut playing hand hand foot foot things which is driving me nuts

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "offbeat quintuplets" - but I understand about the "getting stuck in a rut" thing. That's why I started thinking about rhythmic manipulation with displacement and modulation, and how to conjure up variations. Maybe try "hand hand foot foot foot". Sometimes the foot parts could be the same subdivision as the hands, and sometimes they could be a triplet. Then try "hand hand hand foot foot" and apply the same rules as before. Then mix the two of them up - voice the hands across different drums/cymbals - that should generate a huge amount of variation.

Hi Braui,

Unbelieveble that your crash breaks after the first song....
Did you have an complete backupset for all cimbals?
By the way, i was very pacified that you missed the end of "mother and child divided", very funny and very humanely.

Yes, I noticed a crack in it half way through the first song and luckily I do carry a few spares with me, so I was able to swap it out between the first two songs.

Hi K.Howden,

Once I'd transcribed the Pattern it appeared to be in 21/16 and at 110BPM, but I soon found that it was a rather hard to use time signature when writing in other instrument parts to it (I also write Guitar, Bass, Keys etc...) I looked at the pattern and decided to use Triplets in place of dotted Quavers and found if I played it around 70 BPM ish that the pattern was for all intents and purposes the same but in 7/8 which I found much easier with which to add other instruments.

When you say you played it at 110bpm, was that against a quarter note click? In other words does the click line up with the cymbal hits or not?
I think what you have here is the difference of 4 sixteenth notes equalling a click pulse and three 16th notes equalling a click pulse and thinking of it as triplets.
There's quite a lot of this type of thing in my second book "Rhythmic Perspectives". It looks at odd patterns from different points of view. Even though the result may sound the same - thinking of it in a different time signature or subdivision base may make it easier (or harder) to play. It's interesting how the mind organises what it hears.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-11-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
When you say you played it at 110bpm, was that against a quarter note click? In other words does the click line up with the cymbal hits or not?
I hadn't played it aloud using a metronome as I've never used a metronome whilst playing (somthing I feel I should remedy) but I transcribed the pattern on to paper then programmed the pattern into Arobas Guitar Pro5 so I could hear it played back and I set the tempo to 110bpm which was roughly the speed in which I was playing it. Sadly with Guitar Pro you can't set the subdivison the Metronome plays and it just plays the click in Semi-Quavers (sixteenths).

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

Kev
Old 07-11-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Hi SantiBanks,

Correct. It was during the first week of me switching from Pearl to Sonor and there was a big mix up when I got to NY - so in a panic I got a studio rental company to send me over a DW kit. It sounded good in that room at the Power Station - but the room is so good - I imagine almost any 'pro' kit would.
Interesting to read this and especially to hear it ! Never had the idea that DW could sound that good ! But then I guess there are just so much factors making a drumkit sound good. I think its one of the most difficult instruments to handle as a recording engineer to get miked up properly and getting mixed well...

It also convinced me of saving more money for a drumkit as it seems the difference in sound can be pretty big between the budget kits and the more pro kits.

Still, kudos for your drumming and the sound of your kit on the last 3 albums. Everytime I hear it, Im still shocked and blown away by the performance and the sound. Guess they dont make drummers like you much these days ;)

What was btw the reason for switching to Sonor if I may ask? Did you like the sound more?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 PM

Hey Gavin,

What kind of throne do you have? And what where the reasons you chose that one?

Greetz,
Andre
Old 07-12-2007, 02:03 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi SantiBanks,

What was btw the reason for switching to Sonor if I may ask? Did you like the sound more?

I switched to Sonor because I liked the sound of the drums and I felt like it would evolve my sound in a way I wanted to go. I really liked the guys from the factory and started a great positive relationship with them.

Hi Drizzle,

What kind of throne do you have? And what where the reasons you chose that one?

At the moment I've got a Roc N Soc seat on a Gibraltar base. I've tried many different stools - but for me this seems the most comfortable and secure.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

gavin,
i have an observation and a question for you. i've been listening a lot to your cds and i've noticed that you don't repeat yourself very much. even when you're playing a groove in a verse, you often play things a tiny bit different from measure to measure, or you play repeating patterns that span more than one measure. you would never be mistaken for a drum machine, that's for sure! my question is, do you make a conscious effort not to repeat yourself or is that just something that comes naturally?
Old 07-13-2007, 05:39 AM

Hi Gavin!

As a drummer and a long time PT fan I find it a huge privilage to speak to you - even if it's over the internet. I've read the whole thread (yes its taken a while, but worth it). I'm amazed that you can be so friendly and give so much time to your fans by answering questions, it speaks volumes.

Originally back in the day I was bummed that Chris Maitland had left the band prior to In Absentia, but instantly after listening to you play on IA, my new drumming Idol was instantly confirmed. Over the years you have been a massive influence to me and how I approach my drumset. Anyway enough with the gushing, I've got a couple of quick questions for you!

- You seem to have a uncanny sense of time. In one of my favourite songs "The Start of Something Beautiful" the verse is in 9/4 and there is a section of build up where you just improv - leading into the bridge (~4:20). Do you keep count of the 9/4 in your head, do you listen to the bass line or do you just *know* where you are? I always seem to get a little lost (especially when improvising). So when coming back in with a fill to the verse groove, I find it difficult to just 'nail' the timing. Any tips?

- In a similar vein to the above question in the "Arriving Somewhere" version of 'Halo' you start proceedings with a sweet fill which starts on the 3 "AND" of the bar. The start of the fill seems displaced backwards 3/8ths. Did you improvise that fill and just "feel" the time behind it or do you have a bunch of fills that are 11/8ths in length and you pulled one out at the right moment? Those sort of time illusions always mess me up when attempting them. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW I have both your DVD's so if there are particular sections in those that might help, I'll check them out.

Anyway, All of us PT fans are eagerly awaiting you to come to Australia.

(I'm sure Colin Edwin would enjoy coming back to his home town - I belief he was born in Melbourne!?).

Cheers from Melbourne, Aus,

Andrew
Old 07-13-2007, 01:20 PM

Gavin played on sam browns stop. iv learnt a great deal out of gavins books. im just wondering if you read this gavin. did you ever have any lessons of colin wilkinson in watford i remember he used to give lessons in a sound proof room in the garden. there was a tama kit in there and it sounded wonderfull. do you remember him
Old 07-13-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Hi Drizzle,

At the moment I've got a Roc N Soc seat on a Gibraltar base. I've tried many different stools - but for me this seems the most comfortable and secure.

cheers
Gavin
Does it says Roc N Soc on the stool or Gibraltar like below, there seems to be two types.
On the Roc N Soc website they all have a Roc N Soc logo.
They are probably the same but just curiuos.

I have been considering them for a long time, but as there are no stores here in the area who has some in store I cannot try them before I buy them, finding a store here in Holland who actually sells them is already a challange.

But they look like they are very comfortable.

BTW Do you have your seat in a fixed position or can it spin around, when moving side to side on the drumset.

Thanks a bunch,

Dre
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2007, 07:20 AM

quick question gavin: which snares do you use on your 12x5 designer?
Old 07-14-2007, 02:09 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi dairyairman,

i've been listening a lot to your cds and i've noticed that you don't repeat yourself very much. even when you're playing a groove in a verse, you often play things a tiny bit different from measure to measure, or you play repeating patterns that span more than one measure. my question is, do you make a conscious effort not to repeat yourself or is that just something that comes naturally?

I don't make a conscious effort to change things bar to bar - I think it must be something that just happens naturally.

Hi Andrew_AUS

In one of my favourite songs "The Start of Something Beautiful" the verse is in 9/4 and there is a section of build up where you just improv - leading into the bridge (~4:20). Do you keep count of the 9/4 in your head, do you listen to the bass line or do you just *know* where you are?

I just sing the bass line to myself and I don’t get lost.

In a similar vein to the above question in the "Arriving Somewhere" version of 'Halo' you start proceedings with a sweet fill which starts on the 3 "AND" of the bar. The start of the fill seems displaced backwards 3/8ths. Did you improvise that fill and just "feel" the time behind it or do you have a bunch of fills that are 11/8ths in length and you pulled one out at the right moment?

I believe that fill is just triplets in groups of 5 - I can start something like that in any place in the bar and just ‘hear’ when to resolve it and come back on to a downbeat in 4/4. It was improvised ‘on the spot’ - although I’ve played that grouping of 5 (in triplets) before - I don’t think I’d played that kind of fill (in that song) starting in that place in the bar before.

BTW I have both your DVD's so if there are particular sections in those that might help, I'll check them out.

Have a look at the section called “Polyrhythmic Resolves” on the Rhythmic Horizons DVD.

Hi bago

did you ever have any lessons of colin wilkinson in watford i remember he used to give lessons in a sound proof room in the garden.

I remember Colin Wilkinson used to teach at Hammond’s Music Store in Watford - but I never had lessons with him.

Hi Drizzle

Does it says Roc N Soc on the stool or Gibraltar like below, there seems to be two types.
On the Roc N Soc website they all have a Roc N Soc logo... Do you have your seat in a fixed position or can it spin around, when moving side to side on the drumset.

I’ve got both types - and as far as I can tell - they’re the same. I don’t spin around on the seat when I’m moving around the drums.

Hi Mustykat,

which snares do you use on your 12x5 designer?

On my old white one - I still have the original Sonor 24 strand. On my new SQ2 (tribal finish) one, I use a Puresound 12 strand. Both sound good to me.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 07-15-2007, 02:06 PM

Hi Gavin! I love your work with PT! But when will the cd with you and 05ric be realeased ? I´ve been listening to it on myspace and i asolutley love it! its absolutley insane!
Old 07-15-2007, 09:41 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi DTrocks,
I've just got back off tour with PT - so now I'm going to start finishing the GH 05Ric project. We hope to have it out end of August/early September.

I'm really excited about it - I think it's going to turn out to be one of the best things I've ever been involved with.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-16-2007, 10:53 AM

Hi Gavin,Have you tried to use a Neumann U 47 Fet like additional microphone in kick drum? What do you think about?.
I am trying to study the double pedal, I could use the book syncopation?
or which other book? I am using the book of Bobby Rondinelli: “The Encyclopedia of Double Bass Drumming”, but I would want to know to use the feet like the hands, roll, ruff, paradiddle, and many more.
I hope you can come in Sicily and play with the “Porcupine tree” to the Greek theatre of Taormina I would be much happy of this.

thanks for your time
Angelo

Last edited by angelo; 07-16-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:30 PM

Do you have any tips for tuning the bassdrum? how do you tune your drums?

I missed your concert in norway last week! :( I hope you guys come back here again soon!
Old 07-16-2007, 03:46 PM

[quote=DTrocks;336025]Do you have any tips for tuning the bassdrum? how do you tune your drums?QUOTE]

Toms:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...postcount=1157

BD:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...&postcount=217
Old 07-16-2007, 04:25 PM

Default New Gavin interview and PT feature

Hello all,

Porcupine Tree are featured this mont at http://www.musicplayers.com, and we published a fantastic interview with Gavin!

The direct link to Gavin's feature is
http://www.musicplayers.com/features...n_Harrison.php

but just go to our homepage for the main feature (which has links to the interview).

Enjoy,

Scott Kahn
Editor in Chief
MusicPlayers.com
Old 07-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

that's a great interview! i enjoyed it a lot. i saw that gavin even mentions his drummerworld thread in there.