DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-25-2007, 12:04 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Drizzle,

I know you probably like all styles of music from jazz to metal, but what kind of music comes closest to you

that's a hard question - I don't really have a favourite - probably the music that's closet to me is the music I listened to when I was age 15-20 - and I still listen to those records now and I'm still very impressed by them.

Hi crookedrook

Do you still use your steel sonor snare, the one you recorded Deadwing with?

Yes the Sonor "black steel" is great, I used it on the PT DVD "Arriving Somewhere..." I don't remember using it on Deadwing...but my memory is fading!!

Cheers
Gavin
Old 06-25-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
....probably the music that's closet to me is the music I listened to when I was age 15-20 - and I still listen to those records now and I'm still very impressed by them.
Could you share with us some of those records.

Is a band like Porcupine Tree a band you envisioned yourself playing in when you where younger or in a more jazz or fusion kind of band?

Cheers,
Drizzle
Old 06-25-2007, 10:42 PM

Hey Gavin, quick question. I've been listening more and more to In Absentia...mainly The Sound Of Muzak...Anyways, just curious as to what time you are playing in for Sound of Muzak? I am really bad with time, and just trying to get an idea. The groove you play in that song just sounds amazing, and every time I hear it, I wanna play! Also, what would you recommend, in terms of books, DVDs, etc. for a better understanding of time? Thanks! -Josh
Old 06-25-2007, 11:53 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Drizzle,

Could you share with us some of those records.

off the top of my head at the moment...

Art Farmer "Crawl Space"
Art Farmer Jim Hall "Big Blues"
Bob James first four albums
Chet Baker "She Was Too Good To Me"
Chick Corea "The Mad Hatter" & "Friend"
Pat Williams "Threshold"
Ian Dury & The Blockheads "New Boots & Panties"
Ben Sidran "The Cat & The Hat"
Jeff Beck "There & Back"
Stevie Wonder "Songs In The Key Of Life"
Quincy Jones "I Heard That"
Randy Crawford "Secret Combination" & "Windsong"
Chuck Mangione "Main Squeeze"
Donald Fagen "The Nightfly"
Frank Zappa "Joe's Garage"
Chaka Khan "Stomping at the Savoy"
Stanley Clarke "Rocks Pebbles & Sand"
Herbie Hancock "Mr Hands"
Gino Vannelli "Brother To Brother"
Tom Scott “Apple Juice”

(plus many more I can't think of right now)

Is a band like Porcupine Tree a band you envisioned yourself playing in when you where younger or in a more jazz or fusion kind of band?

I guess I would never have imagined being in a band like PT way back when I was listening to the above records.

Hi XboxIsAGodToMe,

just curious as to what time you are playing in for Sound of Muzak?

It's in 7/16, 7/8 or 7/4 depending on your rhythmic perspective.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-26-2007, 12:08 AM

Hi

I'm Mike, 17, and I've only been playing drums since september, but im heavily influenced by you Gavin, the way you experiment with the drums is just mind blowing! The videos on youtube (like the cymbal song (also on Arriving Somewhere) and the same form of recording you did with the tom drums) are amazing for ideas and inspiration on using the drums to their full potential.

I'm having trouble figuring out time signatures though, Gavin you seem to be quite the mathmatician when it comes to the drums, do you have any tips for counting time signatures, and working them out?

I really hope im nearly half as good as you one of these days!

The new album is fantastic by the way.

Mike
Old 06-26-2007, 09:43 AM

hi gavin!

i recently found out that you're playing a 13" hi hat is that right?
i'm about to buy myself a new hi hat (it's probably gonna be the A custom) and the shop assistent advised me to think about a 13" one, because it would sound more special and shilhouetted against the other instruments. well that seems logical to me but do you think that it will fit to heavier music too? what is your reason for playing a 13" hihat?

thanks!
Old 06-26-2007, 07:03 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi volume_3

I'm having trouble figuring out time signatures though, Gavin you seem to be quite the mathmatician when it comes to the drums, do you have any tips for counting time signatures, and working them out?

You get used to the sound of 7 & 5 & 9 they just have a sound to them that (when you're familiar enough with them) you instantly recognise.

Some compound time signatures are a bit more tricky to hear. Maybe it's a time signature like 19/8 but inside that you can hear two 7's and a 5. Sometimes I have to just sit and count through it carefully until I reach the obvious repeat point in the rhythm.

I have a method of count odd groupings that is explained on my last DVD Rhythmic Horizons - you might find it useful to see it.

Hi tobi283

i recently found out that you're playing a 13" hi hat is that right?

That is correct - I find them very versatile.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-26-2007, 08:27 PM

Hi Gavin,

I'm trying to get my snare drum to be as sensible as yours. I mean i want my snare to feel every little note and ghost note and buzz roll that i play, so as to be able to play stuff like The Sound of Muzak or the last part of Anesthetize, where you're playing all this little simple and dynamic notes on the snare drum. Do you have any tips to achieve that kind of response from your snare? Could it be a technique issue? Could it be a tuning or snare issue?

I'd really appreciate and answer! Thanks for your time!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:09 PM

I know he does use 8 strands on his snare (not sure if it's on all of them) so that has something to do with it. I just recently did this to my snare, and it sounds awesome. You would think, less snares, less sensitivity, but that does not seem to prove true. if you have extra snares, I would recommend experimenting. I'll stop here, as i'm sure Mr. Harrison will have a better explanation lol :)
Old 06-26-2007, 10:13 PM

thanks! i'll try that, but i'm still gonna wait till i get tips from the master himself.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:08 AM
Pioneer Member

Your show at Interlaken's Greenfield Festival was great. Good sound, great song selection........just too short, but that's how it is in festivals specially when you're not the last band on stage. Hope you enjoy the mountain view you had in front of you.
Sounds like Porcupine Tree's new album will be a monster. Your drumming is some of the cleanest i've ever heard, truly amazing and inspiring to hear you again live.
I just have one question i couldn't figure during the show (probably due to some liters of beer), but is Adrian Belew's guitar solo sampled on the song "Halo" during live performance because it sounded exactly the same as on CD. It's simple curiosity in no purpose to criticise.
Wish to see you soon again

https://soundcloud.com/#sitas-master
Old 06-27-2007, 12:18 AM

Hi Moncholo,

You must not forget that when you hear Gavin play, the sound you hear has gone through microphones. I know he useally uses two mics on his snare, one on top and one on the bottom. The bottom is to pick up all those 'soft' notes that would be lost when using only the one on top.

The fact remains that to get a great snare sound it has to sound good on it's own, without the microphones, and Gavin will probably have some tips for you to get his sound.

I personally use a Yamaha Dave Weckl model which has two snares both with 2 strainers.
This way I can adjust the 'buzz' of the snaredrum in many ways, and maybe more importantly change the 'feel' of the drum and still have a good 'buzz', I really love it.

So maybe a drum with 2 snares is something to consider when buying a new snare, although they can be quite expensive.

Drizzle
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2007, 12:29 AM

Still, for the snares to be heard through the microphones, they'd have to be heard live by ear if you put your ears next to the drum. I did this and stil didn't get nothing by playing really soft... Still, i'm just trying to get some snare response; i'm not trying to make all those small ghost notes go over a live band... specially with no miking.

Maybe it has to do with the heads..... like, a thinner head will resonate more and produce more snare response. I have an Emperor X batter head with no muffling and some random resonant head that seems tobe pretty thick.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:00 AM

Sounds like it could be more of a tension problem with either the heads or the snares.
As you probably know that when you have the head is to tight you have to hit harder in order to get the snares moving, and if the snares are choked because they are to tight or burried into the head they are not going to buzz easily.

Getting a thinner head will probably improve things, but even with thicker heads it's possible to get good articulation.

If you've put your ears next the drum and you didn't hear the snares then there's definitely something wrong....

Good luck,
Drizzle
Old 06-27-2007, 01:03 AM

Just for the record, when i play normal strokes y do get snare response, the problem is with really subtle and delicate strokes.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncholo View Post
Just for the record, when i play normal strokes y do get snare response, the problem is with really subtle and delicate strokes.
Maybe you could experiment a little with the tension of the snares.
Just play some subtle strokes and slowly loosen the tension of the snares untill you start hearing the snares.

If you loosed the snares all the way and still don't hear the snares with the subtle strokes then the problem has probably more to do with the tension of the heads.

I think you just have to experiment.

Drizzle
Old 06-27-2007, 01:27 AM

If i loosen the snares, i do get more response, but there's no stick definition or articulation..... intrincate patterns don't get through, and there's a lot of annoying snare buzz produced by hitting other drums.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:33 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi moncholo,
Like you - everybody is searching for the perfect snare sound - and a lot of that depends on your expectations from your snare drum - sometimes it's easy to get a great fat backbeat sound - but have nasty sounding ghost notes and vice versa. I have an idea of what a great snare sound is in my head - and I've been working towards it all my life. You won't get a nice ghost note response from an Emperor X - maybe try a Remo CS and a snare side Ambassador. If you hit really hard then you have to make a compromise between getting durability from a head like the Emperor X (and just live with it's lack of sensitivity) or use a CS or Ambassador and change it every couple of shows. As I've said before - on most of my drums I have a Puresound 12 strand snare and I pull off the outer two strands from each side so that there's just 8 strands left in the middle. I have the snares on quite tight - but not mega tight where the drum is choking.
You need to experiment until you find the right drum, the right size and depth, the right combination of heads, the right snare wires and the right muffling to suit the music that you're playing - at the volume that you're hitting the drum. Add on top of that a very important factor indeed - the way that you actually strike the drum and the size of sticks you're using.

All that is very personal to you and it becomes part of your sound.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-27-2007, 02:55 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Anchein Vouivra,

I just have one question i couldn't figure during the show (probably due to some liters of beer), but is Adrian Belew's guitar solo sampled on the song "Halo" during live performance because it sounded exactly the same as on CD

No, Richard our keyboard player is performing that solo on a synth.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-27-2007, 05:21 PM

Hi everyone, i just registered.

I have been quite obsessed with PT since i first heard them, and i especially love the 5.1 mixes and DVDs. I love your technique and drum sounds Gavin, as well the good variation and use of your different cymbals. I really enjoyed seeing you at Download Festival, i was right at the front, and i hope you come back soon (or to Ireland), oh and thanks for signing my snare drum at the kerrang signing tent :D
It's very good to see you giving a huge amount of answers on here. Chances are, if i ask one it will already have been answered on here, so I won't for now...

take it easy
Old 06-27-2007, 06:48 PM

Good day Gavin, loved the show in Montreal. Are you guys done with Canada this tour? I remember last time (2005) you guys came back later in the year.

When using an illusion do you find it more effective when used in small spurts or stretched out over a few bars? I'm trying to incorporate an illusion into some stuff we do and right now I'm doing it over 4 bars (the song is played at 85 bpm). Is it better to mess them up for a short time or try to let them try and catch it only to end the illusion just as they're about to understand what's happening? The illusion is displacement, starting the 1 on the snare. The very first 4 bars are played as one normally would, and my intention is to play the 2nd 4 bars under the illusion.

Hope I made sense!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:57 PM

The CS are the Controlled Sound?
Old 06-28-2007, 10:08 AM

Brownstone,

I'm no expert on illusions but I tried to incorporate an illusion into one of our songs and anymore than _ONE_ measure would throw my BAND itself off.

I experimented with this some and also found that the least amount of measures I played an illusion the better it sounded to me.

I think it depends on the song and your band. You don't want to screw the tune up and you especially don't want to throw your band itself off track. I don't see myself doing anymore than a one measure illusion in one of our songs because the other songs the illusions can detract from the music and that is what you want to avoid.

I love the use of rhythmic illusions on "Hatesong" from the PT live DVD "Arriving Somewhere..." if I remember right there are two short sections at the end improv section. One of them goes over a portion where Steven Wilson starts to wail on a guitar part and the illusion itself really shifts the ENTIRE feel of the tune from laid back rock to blasting in your face rock just for a few seconds and it's pure genius. When I first heard it I had to rewind that section a few times because it was so innovative to me and my friends, who are not drummers.

In my mind the above mentioned song is a PERFECT example of how to use these neat illusions.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:00 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Brownstone,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brownstone View Post
When using an illusion do you find it more effective when used in small spurts or stretched out over a few bars? I'm trying to incorporate an illusion into some stuff we do and right now I'm doing it over 4 bars (the song is played at 85 bpm). Is it better to mess them up for a short time or try to let them try and catch it only to end the illusion just as they're about to understand what's happening?
Usually I only do a rhythmic illusion for a very short time - just as an effect.
Sometimes I use an illusion as part of the composition (like Mother & Child Divided)...either way I don't do it to deliberately 'mess up' the other guys in the band. There's sections in the PT show where the guys are expecting that I might do those kind of things so it's not such a surprise.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-28-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi Brownstone,

Usually I only do a rhythmic illusion for a very short time - just as an effect.
Sometimes I use an illusion as part of the composition (like Mother & Child Divided)...either way I don't do it to deliberately 'mess up' the other guys in the band. There's sections in the PT show where the guys are expecting that I might do those kind of things so it's not such a surprise.

cheers
Gavin
Haha, no not to mess up the guys in the band, I was thinking more about the listener. I guess I coulld've have been just a little clearer

Thanks Gavin.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:56 PM

Hello Gavin,

First of all my compliments on an awesome show in The Effenaar, Eindhoven last tuesday. I was in the front row, in the centre and the whole band was just inspiring. You guys seemed to have a good time as well, laughing and making jokes. The new album ROCKS live, especially 'The Beast' Anesthesia and 'Way Out Of Here'. Your playing is still fascinating; no matter how complicated or weird it gets, you always maintain a strong groove. Can't wait to see you guys again, I won't make it to Amsterdam this evening.

One small question: I know the subject 'snare' has been beaten to death here, but it seemed like you were using a tribal SQ2 snare on your side with a black steel snare as your main snare. Am I right? Anyway, they both sounded awesome, just like the rest of your SQ2.

Oh, a drummer friend of mine got your setlist. Thanks for that. ;) I bought one of the signed heads, always nice to have.

Cheers!
Gijs
Old 06-28-2007, 04:36 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi moncholo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncholo View Post
The CS are the Controlled Sound?
Correct.

Hi Mr. Cloggy

One small question: I know the subject 'snare' has been beaten to death here, but it seemed like you were using a tribal SQ2 snare on your side with a black steel snare as your main snare. Am I right? Anyway, they both sounded awesome, just like the rest of your SQ2.

Both snares are SQ2 tribal finish. The main snare is Birch 14x5 with rounded bearing edges.
Glad you enjoyed the show.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 06-28-2007, 05:20 PM

Wow, thanks for the swift reply. I also liked some the 'older' songs btw, Sever, Drown With Me and Half Light are awesome songs, no wonder you like te play them. Shame that only some of the people in the audience knew Sever, ah well.

If anyone is interested, this was the setlist of the evening and a pic of the signed head:
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2007, 10:00 PM

Hey Gavin!

Loved your performance on Southside Festival. You definetely had the greatest drum sound of the weekend. I only spotted one single rythmic illusion but therefore it was a real highlight. Very tasteful drumming throughout the set. I'm looking forward to seeing another PT show as soon as possible.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: avi CIMG8449.AVI (5.87 MB, 607 views)
Old 06-29-2007, 12:42 AM

Hi gavin !
Just got back from the Amsterdam gig and the performance and setlist where awesome ! I loved your drumming and it was cool to see some spotlights on you at certain parts in the set.

But one thing, why was the sound so bad? The sound was very distorted due to loud basses (that was already a problem with the support act (who where they? They didn't introduced themselves) ) and I noticed some people leaving the show because they couldn't stand the sound and some even got sick of it which is a shame I think as the performance really blew me away ! (well at least your drumperformance did !)
Last year at paradiso, the sound was also pretty distorted and too loud but the venue size compromised a bit for that. I always use earplugs (to protect my hearing as its valuable for me as a musician and producer) but even I am have problems with my hearing after the concert...

Please tell the other bandmembers that they rocked and pass a compliment to Lasse who did a terrific job on the visuals! I really love the work he does for PT !
Old 06-29-2007, 01:30 AM

Hello Gavin,

First and foremost I have to say that you are just absolutely and incredible drummer and one of my main influences, your drumming is so tasteful and precise, thank you.

Q. I have been struggling with learning PT song the sound of muzak, it has a very odd time feel, and I just can't figure it out, I am really wanting to learn this song, I love this song, it is one of my favs, any help would be much appreciated, thank you for taking the time.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumbum View Post
Q. I have been struggling with learning PT song the sound of muzak, it has a very odd time feel, and I just can't figure it out, I am really wanting to learn this song, I love this song, it is one of my favs, any help would be much appreciated, thank you for taking the time.
I know reading through this thread is a ridiculous task, but this song has been covered, so I'll try to save the man some trouble.

The song is in 7. I call it 7/4 (the accents on the hihat being 1/4 notes), but Mr. Harrison has stated that the bottom number just depends on how you are looking at it.

if you go with my take on it (being in 7/4), the groove itself is in 7/16. It repeats several times in the course of one bar (the last having a slight change in the bass drum).

the 7/16 groove is sub divided into 3+2+2 (b--b-s-). the fourth repitition just omits the first bass drum hit. around this skeleton, there are alot of little nuances like buzzs and grace notes. those will come when you settle into the structure of the groove.

in the chorus, its just straight 4/4, but one of the snare hits is a 16th note early.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumbum View Post

Hello ddrumbum

Look at posts 922 and following in the thread...
Old 06-29-2007, 03:44 AM

I was wrong about one part. the fourth repitition of the 7/16 groove in the 7/4 bar is not that simple. the first bass hit is shifted one 16th

b--b-s-b--b-s-b--b-sb---b-s- (i think... i always suck at tabbing things)
Old 06-29-2007, 04:43 AM

Thanks everyone, that totally makes sense and I actually think I have it down, what a cool groove.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiBanks View Post
Hi gavin !
Just got back from the Amsterdam gig and the performance and setlist where awesome ! I loved your drumming and it was cool to see some spotlights on you at certain parts in the set.

But one thing, why was the sound so bad? The sound was very distorted due to loud basses (that was already a problem with the support act (who where they? They didn't introduced themselves) ) and I noticed some people leaving the show because they couldn't stand the sound and some even got sick of it which is a shame I think as the performance really blew me away ! (well at least your drumperformance did !)
Last year at paradiso, the sound was also pretty distorted and too loud but the venue size compromised a bit for that. I always use earplugs (to protect my hearing as its valuable for me as a musician and producer) but even I am have problems with my hearing after the concert...

Please tell the other bandmembers that they rocked and pass a compliment to Lasse who did a terrific job on the visuals! I really love the work he does for PT !
Shame about the sound really. In the Effenaar, Eindhoven everything sounded great, if very loud (forgot my earplugs, whoops). The support band was 'Pure Reason Revolution' and they were pretty good I thought, but a bit sample heavy. Agreed on the visuals, I really dig that Tool inspired start/stop video, altough I forgot which song that was. What was the setlist in Amsterdam?
Old 06-29-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cloggy View Post
Shame about the sound really. In the Effenaar, Eindhoven everything sounded great, if very loud (forgot my earplugs, whoops). The support band was 'Pure Reason Revolution' and they were pretty good I thought, but a bit sample heavy. Agreed on the visuals, I really dig that Tool inspired start/stop video, altough I forgot which song that was. What was the setlist in Amsterdam?
It was something like this:

Fear of a blank planet
Lightbulb Sun
My Ashes
Anesthetise
Gravity Eyelids
Sentimental
Drown with me
Open Car
Blackest Eyes
Way out of here
Sleep Togheter

Even Less
Mother & Child devided
Halo

There where some more songs but can't remember them (there was 1 I didnt know myself) and the order is not fully correct. So I hope someone has better additions

Last edited by SantiBanks; 06-29-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:05 PM

Thx for posting the setlist!

Can't wait -> see you on saturday Gavin! :)

Greets,

Burger
Old 06-29-2007, 04:15 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi ZDrums24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDrums24 View Post
I was wrong about one part. the fourth repitition of the 7/16 groove in the 7/4 bar is not that simple. the first bass hit is shifted one 16th

b--b-s-b--b-s-b--b-sb---b-s- (i think... i always suck at tabbing things)
Actually it should be that all four 7/16 groups are the same

b--b-s-b--b-s-b--b-s-b--b-s-

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-29-2007, 04:19 PM

haha! i cant believe i messed that up.