DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-18-2007, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

hi gavin!

i came across porcupine tree and you about one year ago but within this year PT made it to be my favourite band and you to be my favourite drummer. i really love your playing!

what i want to ask:
since you joined the band in 2002, PT's music became harder and heavier, especially deadwing and fear of a blank planet. so, would you say that this is YOUR influence on the band?

i tried to get your dvd "rhytmic horizons" but it seems they don't have it here in austria. anyway, will it be available on the concert in amsterdam?

and how come there's no concert in austria this year :)) ??

So have fun in germany, we'll see at melkweg in amsterdam!!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobi283 View Post
hi gavin!

what i want to ask:
since you joined the band in 2002, PT's music became harder and heavier, especially deadwing and fear of a blank planet. so, would you say that this is YOUR influence on the band?
If you look at the MusikMesse '07 videos I wouldn't say that metal/hard-rock are his influences....:-)
Old 06-19-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobi283 View Post
what i want to ask:
I don't know all the details, but from what I've picked up around the web over the last few years, SW goes where he wants to go musically. to roughly quote him: 'if i get up tomorrow and decide the next album is going to be a jazz album, then it will be a jazz album' (this was more in reference to the tendency of each PT album to sound a little different than the ones that came before it, but i think it makes my point)
Old 06-19-2007, 01:50 AM

Hi Gavin,

thanks for the quick response, I don't think they will let us stay in the building after the show,
so I'll just hang around out front and hope you find a free minute for me.
Have a good time in Cologne and the rest of the tour,
regards,
Ty
Old 06-19-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDrums24 View Post
I don't know all the details, but from what I've picked up around the web over the last few years, SW goes where he wants to go musically. to roughly quote him: 'if i get up tomorrow and decide the next album is going to be a jazz album, then it will be a jazz album' (this was more in reference to the tendency of each PT album to sound a little different than the ones that came before it, but i think it makes my point)
yes i've also heard about that but i still think that the harder parts of PT's songs are very much affected by gavin's drumming :)
Old 06-19-2007, 12:32 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi tobi283,

what i want to ask:
i tried to get your dvd "rhytmic horizons" but it seems they don't have it here in austria. anyway, will it be available on the concert in amsterdam?

I don't think the heaviness has particularly been my influence on the band. I think the stranger rhythmic designs have. I didn't grow up on heavy music - so I probably don't play it in quite the same way as someone who has. I'm not aware of it getting progressively heavier - it felt quite heavy to me back when I first joined. Probably heavier than any gig I'd done before.

Yes - Rhythmic Horizons DVDs will be available at the European shows.

cheers
Gavin

Last edited by Gavin Harrison; 06-19-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Yes - Rhythmic Horizons DVDs will be available at the European shows.
Hi Gavin,

How much does it cost there? Great, that it will be available at Porcupine Tree gigs! *Thumbs Up*

Thanks for answering and best wishes,

Burger
Old 06-19-2007, 07:54 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Burger,
I don't exactly know - something like 35 Euros?

For those of you who may be interested to hear what my new project with 05Ric sounds like...

we put up a whole song "Unsettled" at www.myspace.com/gavinharrison05ric

should be released soon.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-19-2007, 08:13 PM

Hi Gavin -

I'm guessing that you play a little harder live than in the studio, but have you ever had a situation where your monitor mix wasn't just right, so you possibly ended up playing louder than normal to compensate, therefore making it impossible to acurately play some of your fills, etc.?

I ask becuase I was on an R&B / funk gig this past weekend and it was all keys and bass in my monitor and I ended up playing louder and louder as the night went on and eventually all my fills became 8th notes with no subtleties at all. I've had this happen to me in a few live situations where I was just physically unable to play what I wanted to because of the volume level I was at. Just curious if you've ever encountered this.

Thanks... Like everyone else, I'm a huge fan.
Kirk
Old 06-19-2007, 11:24 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi KirkDS,
yes I know exactly what you mean - it happens to me too. My other problem is that I start off playing too hard in the first song because of an adrenaline rush - and feel like I have to keep up that intensity for the rest of the songs otherwise they will feel weak in comparison.
I get pretty annoyed with myself when I do that because - as you mentioned - I start struggling to articulate what I want to play - and my hands hurt.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 06-20-2007, 01:47 AM
michael drums

Hey Gavin! How's the tour going? Hopefully it's REAL smooth!!

Anyway...I'm wondering who your influences were/are, if there are any?

It's interesting to see how many different styles you play, AND HOW WELL!!

I saw you @ the Rams' Head show in Baltimore last month and was just FLOORED how intricate your playing is and it got me wondering what other drummers you like!

Thanks Gavin...Play On! ;-)
Old 06-20-2007, 02:01 AM

Quote:
For those of you who may be interested to hear what my new project with 05Ric sounds like...

we put up a whole song "Unsettled" at www.myspace.com/gavinharrison05ric
"Wow!" is all I can say. Brilliant music, your drumming just never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for the link!
Old 06-20-2007, 05:18 AM

Hey Gavin! I know you have explained this numerous times, and I'm sorry to ask again, but what snare are you using on the Fear of a Blank Planet title track? Also, what heads and snares are you using? I know I've seen you talk about using I think 6 or 8 strand wires, but not sure which. Thanks again in advance for answering a possibly annoying question that has been asked numerous times. Also, just wanted to mention I recently got my sister in law into PT, and she now wants to see you guys next time you come to Philly! Thanks again! -Josh
Old 06-20-2007, 01:04 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi michael drums,

I'm wondering who your influences were/are, if there are any?

I grew up listening to Steve Gadd, Jeff Porcaro, Harvey Mason, Stewart Copeland, Billy Cobham, Steve Schaeffer, John Guerin, Simon Phillips.

Glad you enjoyed the Baltimore show.

Hi XboxIsAGodToMe,

what snare are you using on the Fear of a Blank Planet title track? Also, what heads and snares are you using?

It was my 1982 Yamaha RC 9000 14x5 Birch (round bearing edges). It has a coated pinstripe on the top and a snare side ambassador. A Puresound snare (12 strands- cut down to 8 strands in the middle).

Cheers
Gavin
Old 06-20-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trysthedrummer View Post
Harry, is yours an old zildjian k or is it brand new?
it is a brand new 20" K Ride
I purchased it from "www.thomann.de", two months ago... check it out... very good prices in comparison to local stores here in Greece...

Last edited by harry_GR; 06-21-2007 at 04:56 AM.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:38 PM

Hi again, Gavin.

I keep hearing about how you cut down some snares to 8 strands. Just above you mentioned something like 'cut down to 8 strands in the middle.'

My question: where are you cutting them from exactly? Are you cutting out the middle 4 or 2 from each side?

I've seen some snares marketed that are actually two smaller sets of snares on either side of dead center. I was wondering if this is what you are doing.

Thanks for you time,
Austin
Old 06-21-2007, 12:31 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi ZDrums24,
I take off two strands from each edge - leaving 8 strands in the middle.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 06-21-2007, 05:49 AM

Hi Gavin. Is the 12x5 Designer Snare the one you use on your dvd, while playing along to "So What?" If not, which snare is that? I love that sound! It's very refreshing to hear fresh new interpretations of jazz and swing. How did you tune that snare and which heads? Thanks again.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:54 AM

Hi again Gavin,

I tried took off the strands as you said, leaving 8 in the middle, and I would say that
the sound is very good... (my snare drum is a 14x5 sonor s-class with 24-strand snare, which I didn't ruined)

But I have a little problem with the tuning of the snare side head...
I tune it quite low and I am very satisfied till the time I try to play hard.
the bottom head is detuning because of the unbolted screws which one of them ends up falling of the drum...

Generally, I want my sound to be rather low in pitch, a little bit jazz-blues...
Also I like the drum to sing a bit if it has no muffle rings and if it has rings, to be fat with attack and a funky accent...

Do you think I can have these two qualities of sound in just one snare?

It would be grateful if you could give a method for tuning from your aspect, or the tonal differences between top and bottom heads...

Thanks for your time... best wishes...

Harry
Old 06-21-2007, 09:09 AM

hello again...

don't know if this already has been asked but... how do you usually warm up before a gig? i mean, do you have special rudiments? and does it depend on which kind of music / which band you play with?

i've once heard about ian paice saying that his warming up is to play single strokes on snare, just as loud, as fast and as long as he can :)

cheers!
tobi
Old 06-21-2007, 01:01 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Mustykat,

Is the 12x5 Designer Snare the one you use on your dvd, while playing along to "So What?" . How did you tune that snare and which heads?

Yes, that's the one. It has Remo Ambassadors on it and I'd say it's tuned fairly high.

Hi harry_GR

I tune it quite low and I am very satisfied till the time I try to play hard.
the bottom head is detuning because of the unbolted screws which one of them ends up falling of the drum.
Do you think I can have these two qualities of sound in just one snare?

If the bolts are falling out the bottom of the drum, probably you have the head tuned too low. Actually I tune my bottom snare heads quite tight. Tighter than the top head anyway. I think it's possible to get many different sounds out of one drum - the problem is changing the sounds between songs in a concert. I use two snare drums when I play with Porcupine Tree - a 14x5 and a 12x5 off to my left.

Hi tobi283,

how do you usually warm up before a gig? i mean, do you have special rudiments? and does it depend on which kind of music / which band you play with?

These days I warm up on a practice pad for about 15 minutes before the show. Normally I just play single and double stroke rolls. I never used to warm up - but if the first song in the show is long/hard/fast then my hands can get tired quite quickly.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-21-2007, 11:35 PM

Hi Gavin,

I have a question about your process when creating/building drum parts.

While you're in the zone of creative exploration within a track, do you try everything that you think might stick and then subtract extraneous parts? Or do you start simple and then gradually add parts later being more sympathetic to the other instruments?

Lastly, what kit did you use to record the 05Ric project? really REALLY like your playing on UnSettled!

Thanks
Jeff
Old 06-22-2007, 03:53 AM

Hey Gavin, my apologies for so many inquiries about the snare drum. How would you compare the (more affordable) Delite Series 12 x 5s? Thanks again.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:27 AM

I am posing this question to everyone.

Does anyone have any insight to the opening tom groove of 'UnSettled' from Mr. Harrison's work with 05ric?

the only thing I feel sure of is the fact that the groove is shifting from 16th notes to 16th note triplets (or something metricly comprable). i have been trying to find a time signiture for about 5 minutes, but I really cant even find a good landmark in the groove to count from (let alone find one). I have been trying to use those two snare hits as a landmark, but even when I am not trying to count, it feels like the groove is shrinking until it reaches a point and then i begins again back at the beginning length.

I have tried finding a pattern in the tom voicing, and I think I hear one, but it is hard to really say for sure because the groove seems to shrink with each repitition. I am starting to think the groove as a whole is actually much longer than I have been thinking. AH! This is the first groove in a long time to stump me so completely.

I'm curious as to what the rest of you think is happening and, if possible, later compare it to what Mr. Harrison says it is (if he feels like revealing any of it. it is his after all.)

I'm going to be annoyed if it ends up being something extremely simple and that I have just been over analyzing it.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Gavin Harrison here!

Hello to Gavin and all drummerworld forummemebers!!!!
THis is my first post here!!!
Gavin when i first time hear you drumming in PT i just fall in love of your style of play. FOr my you are one of the best drummr of the world and i love to watch you plaing.
I have got question!!! Meaby someone ask for this on forum but i cant found it.
What drumehads you use( i know that remo) on batter and resonat and how you tune them(high,mid,low). I just love sound of your drums!!!
Bye bye
Sorry for my english!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 02:08 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi JeffV71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffV71 View Post
I have a question about your process when creating/building drum parts.
While you're in the zone of creative exploration within a track, do you try everything that you think might stick and then subtract extraneous parts? Or do you start simple and then gradually add parts later being more sympathetic to the other instruments?

Lastly, what kit did you use to record the 05Ric project? really REALLY like your playing on UnSettled!
I try many different ideas - mostly just instinctive. I listen to the melody and groove of the other instruments and try to find something a little unusual to compliment them. I try to avoid (what I consider to be) clichés. It's a bit of a mystery where some ideas come from - and I like that. It can depend what kind of day I'm having.

The drums on my new project with 05Ric is my Sonor Designer (the same one I used on the last two PT albums).

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-22-2007, 02:21 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Mustykat

How would you compare the (more affordable) Delite Series 12 x 5s? Thanks again.

I don't think I've ever played one.

Hi ZDrums24

Does anyone have any insight to the opening tom groove of 'UnSettled' from Mr. Harrison's work with 05ric?

After the little snare roll there's 8 bars of 4/4. The snare accents are different in each of the first 4 bars - then it's repeated.

Hi dejus

What drumehads you use( i know that remo) on batter and resonat and how you tune them(high,mid,low). I just love sound of your drums!!!

On the toms I use Remo Coated Emperors on the top and clear Ambassadors on the bottom. I guess they are tuned medium/low. There is some information about specific intervals earlier in this thread.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 06-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin, going to bother you with another question. The fill after the long drumless part of "Mother and Child Divided" sounds extremely cool, I guess it's some 2, 4, 6 stuff between your hands and feet, cause it really sounds like a Portnoy fill and I know he does that alot.

Cheers.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:

After the little snare roll there's 8 bars of 4/4. The snare accents are different in each of the first 4 bars - then it's repeated.

AW DANG! I was fooled. I'm going to try to go from there. This is really a cool groove. I haven't heard anything quite like it in drumset playing.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:03 PM

Hi Gavin,

Had a listen to the 05Ric track 'Unsettled'. Fantastic! Really enjoyed the track, primarily for the drumming (nice one Sir!) but some nice bass work too.

I recently became the proud owner of copies of your two DVD's. Again, many thanks for a great insight into your approach (there's so much 'food for thought' on there that there's a serious risk of obesity for the watcher). You might need to add a health warning to the cover :o) Any plan to release the music from the DVD's with the drum tracks removed so that we mere mortals can have an 'attempt' at them?
Old 06-23-2007, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixamuss View Post
Hi Gavin,
Any plan to release the music from the DVD's with the drum tracks removed so that we mere mortals can have an 'attempt' at them?
or maybe a sort of multitracks to create a mix for yourself (if you want the bass higher and keys lower for example?). I know the chance is pretty small this is going to happen but would be nice for sure !

Can't wait till thursday to see you playing again... Setlist looks pretty good to me (though no arriving somewhere sadly which is a huge favourite here but Im happy with everything as long as you guys play ;)) so Im sure it will be a killer gig !

Though one small question, are photocameras allowed if I don't use the flash? I'd love to take some pictures from the master in action...
Old 06-23-2007, 02:36 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi figure_02,

The fill after the long drumless part of "Mother and Child Divided" sounds extremely cool, I guess it's some 2, 4, 6 stuff between your hands and feet.

you are correct.

Hi mixamuss

Any plan to release the music from the DVD's with the drum tracks removed?

no plans at the moment - sorry.

Hi SantiBanks,

Though one small question, are photocameras allowed if I don't use the flash? I'd love to take some pictures from the master in action...

sorry but no cameras allowed.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 06-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hi figure_02,

The fill after the long drumless part of "Mother and Child Divided" sounds extremely cool, I guess it's some 2, 4, 6 stuff between your hands and feet.

you are correct.
Sorry if I did not make it more clear, any chance you could write down what's exactly going on?

Thanks again for you sharing your time.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:26 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi figure_02

I don't have the recording with me but I think it's

S S K K T4 T4 K K T3 T3 T3 T3 K K T2 T2 T2 T2 K K S S

S = Snare
K = Kick drum
T4 = Tom 4 etc

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Silver Member

That sounds correct, thanks again!
Old 06-24-2007, 02:02 AM

hi gavin,

after interlaken, thx for this great show in cologne, the e-werk was packed and we had a great time. you just played amazing.

thx again
Old 06-24-2007, 04:13 PM

Heya Gavin!

This is a slightly off topic question but I am deperate to know:
Are you and Porcupine Tree going to be supporting rush this year?

Last edited by spartacus1989; 06-24-2007 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-24-2007, 06:03 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi spartacus1989,

Are you and Porcupine Tree going to be supporting rush this year?

not as far as I know.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 06-24-2007, 11:00 PM

Hi Gavin,

What's your favourite music style? To play and to listen to

I read somewhere that before your days with Iggy Pop you weren't into that kind of music, but you started to like it.

I know you also like Thomas Haake from Meshuggah, do you like the music or is more out of a drumming point of view. You also said you liked to work with Fredrik Thordendal, cause you really liked his solo album.

I know you probably like all styles of music from jazz to metal, but what kind of music comes closest to you, if you know what I mean.

See ya thursday in the Milkyway
Drizzle
Old 06-25-2007, 04:17 AM

Hi Gavin,

I just watched three of the videos of you @ Musikmesse on your Drummerworld profile-I love your drum fills and how you incorporate them into the songs. It's amazing to see you go from jazz to Porcupine Tree and how you still keep the drum style the same between both. Do you still use your steel sonor snare, the one you recorded Deadwing with?

Thanks,
Rob