Ludwig internal tone control muffler knob for sale?

RockNGrohl

I just got a 70's Acrolite snare drum. It is in great shape except for the tone control muffler. The threads on it are stripped right at the end. So the nut was stuck in place. I used pliers to get the little round nut loose to take it off, but it's not gonna screw back on the jacked threads of the shaft for the knob. Does anyone have just a spare knob or the whole muffler I could buy before I shop on eBay? I see they go for about 30-ish dollars. Or does anyone know who makes a new version that isn't cheapie. The one on drummaker.com is a cheapie. Does Cannon/Universal percussion make a good retrofit one?

You could use a die to recut the threads and buy a new nut.

I just got a 70's Acrolite snare drum. It is in great shape except for the tone control muffler. The threads on it are stripped right at the end. So the nut was stuck in place. I used pliers to get the little round nut loose to take it off, but it's not gonna screw back on the jacked threads of the shaft for the knob. Does anyone have just a spare knob or the whole muffler I could buy before I shop on eBay? I see they go for about 30-ish dollars. Or does anyone know who makes a new version that isn't cheapie. The one on drummaker.com is a cheapie. Does Cannon/Universal percussion make a good retrofit one?

Find yourself a local machine shop and have them recut the threads.
Should be like $10 or $15 bucks.

Thanks guys! I'd been thinking of both, but i'm in no hurry to get it done. In fact even with the muffler on I wouldn't use it much. But I'd love for it to be back in working order anyways. I'll see about machine shops.

Back