Does this annoy you?

samthebeat

Silver Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=073MVAwUUo0

this annoys me, its got nothing to with the drumming, its the need for reconognition for not really doing anything. Its like ohh well done you made a video with too many camras, got some comments and than made loads. it amounts to nothing, I think cobus is even making a dvd about drumming, what does that kid no about drumming in realaity and what makes him think people will even care. this pisses me off.

I've never understood the point of posting drum covers on youtube.

But at least he put in the words "drum cover" in the title.

The one's that really tick me off are the ones who put "band - song title" as if the video is an actual clip of the original band. And then you click on it, and it's some cover. ugh...

Actually, he's putting out pretty cool covers of popular songs with good production quality. He's solid, he's entertaining, and he looks like he's having a lot of fun. Yeah, he's capitalized on it big time (endorses TRX cymbals and udrum custom drums plus revenue from merch and appearances), but I can't fault him for all at doing what he loves and being successful at it. And yes, they're all cover songs, but he puts his own twist on all of them. As far as the DVD goes, I'm pretty sure it's just a performance DVD, not instruction as far as I know. So in short, no, it doesn't annoy me. I actually kind of like a few of his covers and I wish him the best of luck.

Nobody is being forced to watch this, are they? I don't see any reason to be annoyed by it.
It's not even as if this has received any promotion beyond that which any youtube video can get...

If he was playing badly, and yet people kept watching it, then it might be a little galling, but he doesn't seem to be. What more are we to expect of a video like this?

Doesn't bother me at all.

He states it's a cover so you know going in it's a cover. Production quality is good, seems to have a good sense of timing and rhythm.

You should be more annoyed by the ones who post covers that think they can play but in reality really stink!

So what really annoys you about this?

The only reason someone posts anything on youtube is for recognition and for people to watch. How is he making loads and how do you know he's making loads?

To me the "annoyance" sounds like a little jealousy to me.

No concerns about Cobus. He has a following because he's a damn good drummer. If he wasn't, all the fancy camera angles etc in the world would be of no use.

The one's that really tick me off are the ones who put "band - song title" as if the video is an actual clip of the original band. And then you click on it, and it's some cover. ugh...

+1 That's a pet peeve of mine, too. It's fraud; high hit counts can make $$, although plenty of it is just about bragging rights ... "my vid has xx hits". It wastes a lot of people's time.

this annoys me, its got nothing to with the drumming, its the need for reconognition for not really doing anything. Its like ohh well done you made a video with too many camras, got some comments and than made loads. it amounts to nothing, I think cobus is even making a dvd about drumming, what does that kid no about drumming in realaity and what makes him think people will even care. this pisses me off.
Almost as annoying as posting the same clip twice, lol!!

Nothing annoying about the video, except I fail to see any benefit in hitting the drums that hard, they don't sound that good anyhow, & the cymbals sound short & cheap.

Overall, I think our own Jimmy K blows him into the long grass doing a similar gig!

He sure has his business and presentation together- the videos are well produced and his site looks great. He's going to do great either in his own business or demoing gear, or however people like him make a living. Musically: he does a fine job doing what he does, but I'm a little old fashioned in that I think that only what you do with other musicians counts. I can't find any evidence of that on his site, except he says he plays in a church band. I don't know what this thing is of posting your own fancy drum parts to someone else's music- it resembles music, but it feels like a whole different thing. Skilled masturbation, or something.

Maybe Cobus noticed that there were no actual drums on that track and figured he'd fix it.

Cobus is a very good player. If this is how he wants to display his abilities, more power to him.

I think he's a pretty good drummer myself and I have no doubt he'd be as good in a band with actual musicians. Actually, it's a pretty good idea to make a vid like that because you can offer your it (and other that you might make from other genres) to anyone looking to audition drummers. Why not make vids like that?

I'm showing my age here.....

I watched part of it but that music this guy played too is not my type of music. Call me an old fuddy duddy but that's just me.

He is enjoying himself and that's what counts. I wish him well.

Musically: he does a fine job doing what he does, but I'm a little old fashioned in that I think that only what you do with other musicians counts. I can't find any evidence of that on his site, except he says he plays in a church band. I don't know what this thing is of posting your own fancy drum parts to someone else's music- it resembles music, but it feels like a whole different thing. Skilled masturbation, or something.

I feel much the same way. People pay to see skilled self-focused activities in various forms.

Still, it's tons easier than group work. He does what he likes, when he likes, where he likes - and there's no artistic tantrums or flakiness or ripoffs except your own. He gets to play drums and there's only one person to share the income with.

From an audience POV it would be better if he wrote and produced the songs himself rather than just playing along with records. That's how many of us started up ... playing great drum covers is a bit like developing mastery over Lego or hopscotch.

It's annoying in the fact that I see a young kid with a ton more money and/or expensive gear than I have, with better drumming skills, playing a style of music that makes me want to puke while acting all theatrical like he's on stage for a Hannah Montana concert. So yeah I guess to me it's annoying- but it's more because of spite, not because he sucks or should not be doing it for whatever reason. I'm sure he's got a career in music ahead of him, so more power to him. Hanna Montana and Jay Z need drummers too I guess.

From Cobus' Youtube site...."I recently got sponsored due to these drum video's and the hits they get, but that changes nothing :) Still not getting paid, still loving every second of it. Fo shizzle."

I don't know what the music scene is for a kid in South Africa....but this looks like a very creative outlet for what has been a dead end for countless drummers who didn't have the opportunity to be in a band/on stage. That's one of the causes for lots of people putting them away after they get a lil older...you can play a guitar by yourself.....drums aint fun alone.

I for one am glad it works for him. I'm glad he's there to watch if you wanna. What annoys me is the covers of Cobus' covers that pop up under the search for him.

For the record....me likey this one better...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LtM4JCd2Ak&feature=related

I totally get DEDs point about being lured into a misrepresented video. Yeah that is irritating. I'm also not personally into the cover play along thing, although Tom Grosset for one, has really elevated the genre with those movie soundtrack adaptations.

But IMO the threadstarter's basic gripe comes off as if the Cobus phenomenon has affected him in some negative personal way. My feeling is if you don't like it don't watch it. The guy arrived at an effective gimmick that draws in a fanbase. And no it doesn't really influence thousands of young drummers to believe that's all there is out there. Past losing a couple of IQ points, I seriously doubt anyone is hurt watching Cobus videos. Apparently the gimmick works/ at least for now/ And the day it doesn't he will either arrive at a new gimmick, go to school, or take your order at White Castle.

For me the word kid was the revelation in the original post. Don't fault younger guys for figuring out that the Internet can be used for a lot more than chatting and email...because, yes it is serious.

Cobus is far out. Leave him alone. He has made many great drum covers (with the exception of MJ's "Man in the Mirror"). He butchered that from a producer's perspective. Still, the dude has loads of positive energy and good vibrations. 99% of his clips are great! Great drummer. / end thread?

Last edited:
It's annoying in the fact that I see a young kid with a ton more money and/or expensive gear than I have, with better drumming skills, playing a style of music that makes me want to puke while acting all theatrical like he's on stage for a Hannah Montana concert. So yeah I guess to me it's annoying- but it's more because of spite, not because he sucks or should not be doing it for whatever reason. I'm sure he's got a career in music ahead of him, so more power to him. Hanna Montana and Jay Z need drummers too I guess.

This is an honest man.

I don't think I would ever be "annoyed" by watching a good drummer play, and this guy certainly qualifies.

As for drum covers, I've got nothing against them. In fact, the last video I favorited is of Omar Hakim essentially doing a drum cover to a medley of classic funk tunes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J5tEVmc7D8

Back