Jason Bonham Teams with Phil Collins

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Jason Bonham Teams with Phil Collins

Jason will be busy in 2016 as he has been hired to work with Phil Collins as the former Genesis frontman makes a return to music.

"We got together for three weeks and I had an amazing time," Jason told Billboard of his work with Phil. "It was an honour to be chosen by one of my real heroes."

Full Story

It appears the link was referring to Led Zep reuniting. I think it's simply a case of the wrong link being posted.

I'll add my own bit of confusion...

I distinctly recall Phil Collins playing for Led Zeppelin. I think I was 9 when I saw them play with Phil on the drums in Philly.

I could be mistaken though, as I also thought Star Wars was real back then... I also remember the Beach Boys, Cars, and Pretenders playing at the same concert

Star Wars was real.......

The Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI) was a proposed missile defense system intended to protect the United States from attack by ballistic strategic nuclear weapons (Intercontinental ballistic missiles and Submarine-launched ballistic missiles). The system, which was to combine ground-based units and orbital deployment platforms, was first publicly announced by President Ronald Reagan on March 23, 1983.[1] The initiative focused on strategic defense rather than the prior strategic offense doctrine of mutual assured destruction (MAD). The Strategic Defense Initiative Organization (SDIO) was set up in 1984 within the United States Department of Defense to oversee the Strategic Defense Initiative.

Reagan was a vocal critic of the doctrine of mutual assured destruction, and the Strategic Defense Initiative was an important part of his defense policy intended to end MAD as a nuclear deterrence strategy, as well as a strategic initiative to neutralize the military component of Soviet nuclear defenses.[2]

The ambitious initiative was criticized for allegedly threatening to destabilize the MAD -approach and to possibly re-ignite "an offensive arms race".[3] SDI was nicknamed, largely in the mainstream media, as "Star Wars", after the popular 1977 film by George Lucas. In 1987, the American Physical Society concluded that a global shield such as "Star Wars" was extremely ambitious and with existing technology not directly feasible for operational status, and that about ten more years of research was needed to learn about such a comprehensive and complex system to set up and make it fully operational.[4]

lol

First time I saw that. The Live Aid thing - you can tell they hadn't played together for 5 years. Did Page have his phase shifter on the entire time, or is that just bad audio? And who is the other drummer besides Phil?

Sadly, they were awful at Live Aid, 1985.

Over here in the UK at the Wembley show, U2 and Queen were brilliant.

Over in Philadelphia, it was all very chaotic and unrehearsed for a hastily reconvened Zep line-up, with all sorts of band politics at play.

Page was not at his "healthiest" apparently, and Phil Collins made some derogatory comments about him later.

The 90,000 crowd still went berserk though as it marked "Zeppelin's" first appearance in the States since 1977.

The other drummer was Tony Thompson who'd played with Chic. He died in 2003.

Sadly, they were awful at Live Aid, 1985.

Over in Philadelphia, it was all very chaotic and unrehearsed for a hastily reconvened Zep line-up, with all sorts of band politics at play.

Page was not at his "healthiest" apparently, and Phil Collins made some derogatory comments about him later.

The 90,000 crowd still went berserk though as it marked "Zeppelin's" first appearance in the States since 1977.

The other drummer was Tony Thompson who'd played with Chic. He died in 2003.

I saw the Page/Plant tour in 94/95, and Page was a wrecked. He pretty much had to be wheeled on stage, and another guitar player had to play most of his solos.

It's pretty clear there was no rehearsal for Live Aid.

I know Phil Collins had recorded on Plants solo albums, so that was his connection to being on stage, but I never learned how Thompson got drafted, or why they wanted two drummers (other than, perhaps, to prevent either one from being scrutinized and compared to Bonham).

Just to ad to the conversation, Tony Thompson also played with the Power Station, David Bowie, among many others. Great drummer. I bought a used hardware case that had belonged to him (well before has passed away), although I never met him myself.

As for Jason, I've read he spend three week rehearsing with Phil for a potential tour, but nothing has been confirmed beyond that.

Makes an interesting circle with Phil having drums on some of Plant's solo albums.

Although it leaves Chester Thomson out.

On the plus side, Philly had Pretenders, Tom Petty, Cars, CSNY, etc. I remember being devastated that "Weird Al" didn't play (I was 9 for pete's sake). I cried on the drive home from a combination of missing Weird Al, and having to listen to Duran Duran's performance. Jon, next time you see Al, tell him the 9-year-old in me will never forgive him for not playing Live Aid.

I think Phil played live-aid in England, took the Concord to Philly and was the first artist in history to play in two continents on the same day.

As for Jason, I've read he spend three week rehearsing with Phil for a potential tour, but nothing has been confirmed beyond that.

Makes an interesting circle with Phil having drums on some of Plant's solo albums.

Although it leaves Chester Thomson out.

Love Phil's playing on Plants early solo work. He actually was a family friend to the Bonham's, and mentor to Jason in his younger years.

Back