Meinl Byzance: durable? or not?

rawr8j

I am currently making the switch over from sabian to meinls I was recently looking at the meinl byzance 20" thin ride and was wondering its durability? I am looking to use it as a big crash and from anyones experience, how would it measure up as a crash? All in all i was just wondering if meinls were durable cymbals or not cuz ive heard it go both ways. I also just recently bought a 17" mb8. any thoughts on that durability and sound wise? I pound on my drums as a whole pretty hard so having my cymbals last me a bit would be something i really would prefer. Also, ive had my own assumptions and speculations as to what a cymbal being termed "heavy", "medium", or "light" have been but i wanted to get a for sure answer as to what that meant? does it refer to how the cymbals made? or how durable it is?
any thoughts? also feel free to include any info of any great sounding meinl (or any other brand) crash's or rides that sound great and any meinl or other cymbals that are durable.
thanks a bunch!
<3stephen

p.s.
which other meinl cymbals do you guys think sound great?
i personally play a rock/hardcore style and i was first intrigued by meinl because i saw Aaron from underoath using them. :D

Soundcaster Customs or mb(8, 10, 20) would work great for you. I don't own any meinls yet so I can't tell you how they'll hold up, but from what I've heard, those lines will hold up great. As for the byzance series, I've heard mixed reviews, so I can't help you there.

Why are you switching from Sabian?

sweet awesome! thanks alot!
im switching partly because im wanting to change things up and explore different sounds from other different cymbals. ive been with sabian for a while and ive been hearing meinl cymbals sound wonderful. ive been hearing some clips and them live and they sound very different from sabians. i've been hearing good things from paiste as well. any thoughts?
<3

sweet awesome! thanks alot!
im switching partly because im wanting to change things up and explore different sounds from other different cymbals. ive been with sabian for a while and ive been hearing meinl cymbals sound wonderful. ive been hearing some clips and them live and they sound very different from sabians. i've been hearing good things from paiste as well. any thoughts?
<3

I play all Meinls - no problems with mine! =)

They also have a 2 year warranty so that's much better than most other warranties out there.

They also have a 2 year warranty so that's much better than most other warranties out there.[/QUOTE]

oh cool! how do you go about redeeming the warranty and what are the terms and restrictions? I.E. do you need to buy it directly from Meinl or a Meinl dealer?

also, how hard do you bang on your meinls and which series do you have?
thanks!
<3stephen

I've seen more and more post-hardcore and metalcore bands using Meinl Byzances. Generally they're medium weight, and in large sizes such as the 20" ride you were looking at.
I don't think the weight of a cymbal determines how it is made. I think that the heavier the cymbal, the more metal that is used, and I'd guess it would be more dense. Also, the heavier the cymbal, the darker and louder it sounds (usually).

I use sabians. i have an 18" AA Metal-X Crash that WILL NOT BREAK - very durable
I'm soon hoping to get an AA El Sabor 20" ride.

Sabians are warranteed as well. Crack it and return it to the store you bought it from in exchange for a new one. I think it is 2 years but the guys at my store never care.

Underoath is probably my biggest inspiration and Im currently transitioning to the byzance cymbals. Just trying to sell my current cymbals now. Im also curious on the durability. Im planning on picking up a 24" byzance ride and 22" byzance crash

Back