Test Driving Some New Audio Equipment.....suggestions welcome!

mikyok

Platinum Member
I have a nice new shiny upgraded pre-amp showing up for the record player later so I'm going to be seeing if it's up to scratch later (no pun intended). Had the record player serviced as well which was a nightmare to find a place that does repairs nowadays!

Any recommendations to see what to go for? I've got a fairly decent collection ranging from early 60s - modern day (rock/prog/folk/pop and bits of this and that)

My usual suspects for a test drive are:
Turn of a Friendly Card (Alan Parsons Project) Top notch production imho
Houses of the Holy - Zeps best sounding album
Something produced by Martin Birch
Revolver/White Album (Mono mixes - yes they are both 1st presses)

After some good production for music that was made for vinyl. All suggestions welcome, if I own it I'll try it!

AC/DC: Powerage and Back in Black.

Both were produced by Mutt Lang, and recorded live in the studio.

The best-mixed records I own are as follows:

Boston - (Self-titled)
Crowded House - (Self-titled)
Eddie Rabbit - Horizon (side one)
Washed Out - Within Without

As much as I love rock and roll, the absolute best-mixed record I've heard to date is Highways & Heartaches by Ricky Scaggs. Every instrument "sits" in the mix perfectly IMO.

The best-mixed records I own are as follows:

Boston - (Self-titled)
Crowded House - (Self-titled)
Eddie Rabbit - Horizon (side one)
Washed Out - Within Without

As much as I love rock and roll, the absolute best-mixed record I've heard to date is Highways & Heartaches by Ricky Scaggs. Every instrument "sits" in the mix perfectly IMO.

Man I forgot Boston, got their first 3 on the black stuff. I haven't got any of the others.

Queen Night at the Opera has just come to mind as well as Toto Hydra for albums where everything has its own place in the mix.

My favorite song to demo sound gear of all types is "Bustin' Loose" by Chuck Brown and the Soul Searchers.

Man I forgot Boston, got their first 3 on the black stuff. I haven't got any of the others.

Queen Night at the Opera has just come to mind as well as Toto Hydra for albums where everything has its own place in the mix.

In my very unprofessional opinion, I believe that Boston's Third Stage needs to be remixed. "Hollyann" is such a beast of a song, but it's all guitar and no "guts." The first two albums (but especially the first one) are great in terms of songs and mix.

I have Toto IV on vinyl. I didn't put it down because I always think that Jeff Porcaro needs to be louder in the mix. Not because I think the overall song would sound better, but just because I like Jeff Porcaro. :)

In my very unprofessional opinion, I believe that Boston's Third Stage needs to be remixed. "Hollyann" is such a beast of a song, but it's all guitar and no "guts." The first two albums (but especially the first one) are great in terms of songs and mix.

I have Toto IV on vinyl. I didn't put it down because I always think that Jeff Porcaro needs to be louder in the mix. Not because I think the overall song would sound better, but just because I like Jeff Porcaro. :)

If I'm honest I've never given Third Stage that much of a listen, always preferred the debut album and the odd track from Don't Look Back.

Toto IV is a masterpiece but if we want Jeff I go for the Seventh One.

Mastering engineer Bob Katz recommends various recordings as exemplary examples of great mixing & mastering. While his list refers to CDs, I think the vinyl versions would also be great examples of recording, mixing & mastering.

https://www.digido.com/honor-roll/

Soundgarden - Superunknown I have always felt that this is one of the best sounding albums made. It was recorded to tape, but at the height of analog technology right before everything went digital. Its the album I have always used to check my bands mixes against.

Soundgarden - Superunknown I have always felt that this is one of the best sounding albums made. It was recorded to tape, but at the height of analog technology right before everything went digital. Its the album I have always used to check my bands mixes against.

Might have to prize it from my mate who is a massive Soundgarden fan but I don't think I'd be brave enough to ask him, think it's a coloured vinyl and worth a bit.

I'm a bigger Pearl Jam fan and I think the same about Ten which I have, it sounds better on vinyl than cd.

Well I'm in the middle of the test and Alan Parsons is still top dog. Thanks to Pork Pie I've had to put Toto IV on and it's never sounded this good. A notable tip of the cap needs to go to Bridge Over Troubled Water

Some of my favourite LPs that are recorded and mixed well:

Supertramp - Crime of the Century

Donald Fagen - The Nightfly

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac

The Police - Ghost in the Machine

My Steely Dan collection is fairly meager. I only have Katy Lied and Can't Buy A Thrill. I have the greatest hits but it's not the same as an album.

I need to remedy this situation.

I'm noticing how bad analogue to CD is, especially 60s/70s recordings.

I'm noticing how bad analogue to CD is, especially 60s/70s recordings.

Those early AD conversions are not the best examples of digital music. The AD converters were basic & proprietary, with Sony holding the keys to the kingdom.

Modern AD converters and the mixing/mastering process take full advantage of the technology and the sonics sound so much better than yesteryear.

Those early AD conversions are not the best examples of digital music. The AD converters were basic & proprietary, with Sony holding the keys to the kingdom.

Modern AD converters and the mixing/mastering process take full advantage of the technology and the sonics sound so much better than yesteryear.

The Beatles 2009 remasters are superb. They've used a few different takes of songs here and there. John Lennon forgets the words in Please Please Me

The Genesis remasters of the 70s stuff is amazing. I have the Zep ones but they sound quite close to the vinyl mixes

The Beatles 2009 remasters are superb. They've used a few different takes of songs here and there. John Lennon forgets the words in Please Please Me

The Genesis remasters of the 70s stuff is amazing. I have the Zep ones but they sound quite close to the vinyl mixes

Yes, the Zep remasters didn't reveal much more than their vinyl sisters, and I was surprised given Page's penchant for particulars. He must've been very satisfied as they were.

Back