Tore my kick foot achilles tendon- Help?!

Toolate

Platinum Member
Been a while since posted here and I have to say its very nice to see so many of the same names still here. What a great family.

So, how about some help for an old friend? Tore my achilles tendon right through playing tennis yesterday and I am going to set my kit up and learn to play Lefty. Thinking open handed so its just my L foot that will have to learn. Thinking hats on my R that will just sit closed (X hats).

Anyone have any advice/excercises/suggestions on setup or anything that will help? Too much pain to start today but tomorrow I will sit down and start.

Help!? Going to be off my R foot for at least 2 months I think. Totally sucks.

My official advice as a doctor* is to amputate.

*I got my qualification through an online University, like what the homeopaths do...

ROFL!!!!!

I've had two surgeries on my right knee not to mention a partially torn MCL that didn't need surgery and have had a broken right foot. When the first knee injury happened I bought a double pedal and kept the rest of the kit as normal so I was just having to learn how to play the kick with the left and not trying to figure out my entire kit again. It will take some time to build up the stamina and coordination with that left foot but it will happen.

I did the same as Konaboy when I had foot surgery earlier this year (six weeks with absolutely NO weightbearing). I bought a good-quality used double pedal and used my left foot. For the basic rock stuff I play, it was no big deal.

Would love to amputate but I think the recovery time would be more....

Set the kit up lefty today and L foot is not too bad actually. 16ths are slow but they are there at least..

Worked some slow quarters on the hats (open handed lefty was so weird) and kicks on the 1 E and A 3 for a while then just played some beats.

Think I am just going to have to shed away. Hoping to have MRI monday but insurance will probably drag it out. R foot is like a steak at the end of my calf.

I would find a good physical therapist who is versed in sports medicine,and follow their abvice after consulting with a REAL doctor.No offence meant,but a drumming forum is NOT where you get expert medical advice,which is what you need to assure proper healing and future mobility.Good luck.

Steve B

Still here Tamadrm! Yes, doing that- actually having surgery to fix it because its fully torn in 2... Wednesday I go under the knife then cast for a month and air cast for another then PT for a few months.... Misery.

I did set up my double pedal and was able to play quite well with my L foot on the kick. Very reassuring actually. Need to work those 16ths though.

Actually interesting because my L foot is used to playing on the &'s or whatever and its fun to realize just how much control I have over it although I did play 4 on the floor for about 10 minutes before realizing.

Dont get old.

Back