Newbie chick drummer... help!

And cymbals to try to avoid...
Sabian B8
Zildjian ZBT or ZXT

Try to find a Tama Rockstar, Ludwig Accent, or Pearl Export (NOT EX) with some Zildjian A or Sabian AA cymbals. You should be able to find something under $700, if not for under $500.

Good luck! Let us know what you get...

They're not the worst cymbals you can buy. At least they're bronze. Whatever you do, don't buy brass cymbals, they're terrible. The kit looks okay. The kick seems a little small compared to the toms though. Ahh well i guess that's just me.

for a newbie drummer zildjian zbt and zxt are fine, some b8's are ok and rockwoods are great sets for the prices i have sat behind one a couple times and as long as you through emperors on the bottom and pinstripes on the top they sound great. the cymbals are shit though

Rockwoods? Hahahaha. You read something funny on here every day.

The problem with zbt and zxt and B8 is that you have to upgrade before you start gigging, etc. If you go up one level, to something like B8 Pro, the price isn't that much more, and you can use them for a long, long time.

Thanks again for the replies...

I am going to see the kit from Craigslist tomorrow. After that, if I get it I'm going to order a cheap crash and stand if I get this kit and then save up for new cymbals. I've agreed (with my parents...) that I won't buy anything else for the kit for a year once I get it running so I'll have time to save up for some decent cymbals.

Plus, I look at it this way... now I'll have something to practice on and at the end of the week (after I've worked hard at practicing) I'll get to play on a GOOD kit (IMO anyways... Pearl kit with Sabian AAX's on it) at my lessons and that'll kinda keep the motivation up. I've been working hard to sound good when I get to my lessons, only have a guitar hero kit at the moment, so I think this will be a big help in practicing and keeping me focused on playing better than sounding great right out of the gate.

I really appreciate everyone's input, its helped so much... I'll keep you posted on what I end up doing and I'll probably be askin for tips on setting this thing up!

Thanks!

Thanks again for the replies...

I am going to see the kit from Craigslist tomorrow. After that, if I get it I'm going to order a cheap crash and stand if I get this kit and then save up for new cymbals. I've agreed (with my parents...) that I won't buy anything else for the kit for a year once I get it running so I'll have time to save up for some decent cymbals.

Plus, I look at it this way... now I'll have something to practice on and at the end of the week (after I've worked hard at practicing) I'll get to play on a GOOD kit (IMO anyways... Pearl kit with Sabian AAX's on it) at my lessons and that'll kinda keep the motivation up. I've been working hard to sound good when I get to my lessons, only have a guitar hero kit at the moment, so I think this will be a big help in practicing and keeping me focused on playing better than sounding great right out of the gate.

I really appreciate everyone's input, its helped so much... I'll keep you posted on what I end up doing and I'll probably be askin for tips on setting this thing up!

Thanks!

See, I told you you're not a dork. That's EXACTLY what you should do. There's no sense in spending a ton of money until you HAVE to. And until you're gigging regularly, you don't HAVE to.

The next time you upgrade your equipment, you should be far enough into this drumming thing to have a good idea WHAT you're upgrading to, and you'll probably know the difference in quality versus junk by then.

OK, go have fun playing!!!!

Last edited:
Rockwoods? Hahahaha. You read something funny on here every day.

The problem with zbt and zxt and B8 is that you have to upgrade before you start gigging, etc. If you go up one level, to something like B8 Pro, the price isn't that much more, and you can use them for a long, long time.

you are aware this girl plays bass in a band and is just looking for something to learn on right? she doesnt need gig-worthy cymbals. read before you post

I talked to the guy on craigslist again, he says hes spent a little over 1000$ on this kit, sound right?

also, what is the cheapest crash cymbal I can get to go along with this? I was thinking go cheap now (cheap-o paiste) and then next year upgrade the three cymbals together and just get a pack. (http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Paiste-PST-3-Crash?sku=447495 or http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Paiste-201-Bronze-Crash?sku=447487 ?)

out of the 2 i'd say get the 201 crash. Brass cymbals should be avoided like swine flu imo.

I would definitely recommend a used Yamaha Stage Custom kit or if you wanted to save yourself even a little more money, a Yamaha YD series (now out of production). The YD isn't bad for the money at all, I used to sell them at the music shop I work at. Yamaha is known for putting effort into their lower line stuff.

Since you are a newbie drummer, I see nothing wrong with buying a "newbie" kit. Sure, there are those to stay away from (any kit that you can buy new for less than $350 is a good indication of what NOT to buy). Get yourself a decent beginner's kit, used, and save up some money for some decent cymbals. You can always tune your newbie kit to sound semi-newbie, but your cymbals are always going to sound the way they do.

In my neck of the woods, I've seen some great deals on beginner kits with decent cymbals for under $500.

Here are some kits to stay away from...
Rockwood
Pulse
Sound Percussion
Percussion Plus
Pearl Export EX

And cymbals to try to avoid...
Sabian B8
Zildjian ZBT or ZXT

Try to find a Tama Rockstar, Ludwig Accent, or Pearl Export (NOT EX) with some Zildjian A or Sabian AA cymbals. You should be able to find something under $700, if not for under $500.

Good luck! Let us know what you get...

whats wrong with Sabian B8 Zildjian ZBT or ZXT on a Newbie kit?
there are far worse beginner cymbals than them.
and if your gonna make that comment might as well chuck pastie PST up there to
personally I'd rather have B8s over PST.

you are aware this girl plays bass in a band and is just looking for something to learn on right? she doesnt need gig-worthy cymbals. read before you post

Rockwoods?

You ought to do your research before you post. Horrible, horrible, horrible drums. If you can afford a used set of reasonably decent drums, why not?

Rockwoods?

You ought to do your research before you post. Horrible, horrible, horrible drums. If you can afford a used set of reasonably decent drums, why not?

+1 to this, yeah i mean this is the point only mugs buy new beginner kits. TS has clearly shown some iniative to ask us lot and she will be rewarded by buying a decend used set for the same price which is nice :). Btw if anyone wants to see the dangers of buying a new budget set this is what the inside of my mate's leedy nrg kick drum where the tom mount was looked like.

4658_1070251724549_1473790586_30210840_4830407_n.jpg

That is what you think it is. His house is a modern house, no damp at all so that's not the issue here.

You are assuming that she is only going to play bass in a band for the next few years. What if she is drumming for a few months and loves it, and wants to start gigging? Think before you post, Mr. Rockwood. I recommended B8 Pros, not vintage K's.

Just to keep you all up to date,

I went to look at the Pearl craigslist kit today. I ended up buying it for $400 (I guess my dad is good at talking? hah)

I've been cleaning it all evening since I got it a few hours ago and within a matter of minutes of setting it up in the garage (when I was done cleaning it) I pissed off my first neighbor! Whoo! Doesn't matter I don't like them anyways.

The cymbals sound much better than I was expecting, not GREAT but certainly not terrible.

I have our drummer (from our jam band) coming over to help me tune it, probably on Monday but until then I can practice as it stands so I'm very excited! I will take pictures when its all set up in the basement (our jam room lol) and tuned etc. =]

Thanks again for all of your help, I REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate it!

sorry for the double post, but here are the pictures!

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x263/iskimnj/drums/

tell me if anything looks RIDICULOUS! this is my first time setting up a kit and I'm shocked I was able to do it. Also, I'm only 5'2" & 90 lbs so thats why I've got the toms down so low... any feedback will be appreciated!

thanks!

i think ya did good ! No matter what size you are, there is no such thing as "toms too low" or "too high" or whatever. There's no right or wrong, just what's comfortable for YOU.

you are aware this girl plays bass in a band and is just looking for something to learn on right? She doesn't need gig-worthy cymbals. Read before you post

You are right on with this post Freestylin, BUT, check eBay, there are TONS of cymbals and LOTS of them are USED B8Pro's and going CHEAP. (B8Pro's don't hold much value as a USED cymbal) Best of BOTH worlds if you get a half decent cymbal for cheap.

Check the used areas at the local music stores, B8Pro's are always being traded in for better cymbals and again, going CHEAP in the used bin.

Wholelottalovin, I WOULD recommend that you DON'T buy new cymbals. As a beginner you really don't NEED them. You might even find cymbals of a high grade that have a crack (which would be good enough for rehearsal or practice bashing)
If you're handy, you could file out the crack and it'll sound pretty damn good.
(I have a bunch of cracked cymbals I use for rehearsal and practice, I don't have to beat on my REAL cymbals until a paying gig is at hand)

Doing a bit of legwork will save you lots of cash, even though it's a hassle, it'll make for better equipment at a good price.

You are right on with this post Freestylin, BUT, check eBay, there are TONS of cymbals and LOTS of them are USED B8Pro's and going CHEAP. (B8Pro's don't hold much value as a USED cymbal) Best of BOTH worlds if you get a half decent cymbal for cheap.

Check the used areas at the local music stores, B8Pro's are always being traded in for better cymbals and again, going CHEAP in the used bin.

Wholelottalovin, I WOULD recommend that you DON'T buy new cymbals. As a beginner you really don't NEED them. You might even find cymbals of a high grade that have a crack (which would be good enough for rehearsal or practice bashing)
If you're handy, you could file out the crack and it'll sound pretty damn good.
(I have a bunch of cracked cymbals I use for rehearsal and practice, I don't have to beat on my REAL cymbals until a paying gig is at hand)

Doing a bit of legwork will save you lots of cash, even though it's a hassle, it'll make for better equipment at a good price.

oh i know i got my pst 5's on there for 90 bucks,(hats and crash) i was just saying she shouldnt stray away from stuff like zbt's and b8's their not bad for her as long as she stays away from planet z camber and solar.

oh i know i got my pst 5's on there for 90 bucks,(hats and crash) i was just saying she shouldnt stray away from stuff like zbt's and b8's their not bad for her as long as she stays away from planet z camber and solar.

PST5's are actually probably the best of the 'beginner B8' cymbals. Well done, you've done well here - you've got a decent set of drums and a decent pair of cymbals for a good price.

I think you set the drums up pretty good really, they don't look "too low" to me or anything, "power toms" like those sizes usually do tend to be quite near to the kick at the best of times tbh. The cymbals look quite nice, one of the things i would reccomend is checking out proper cymbal technique to avoid cracking. Those stock heads will probably want replacing at some point. Also at you should think about replacing that music stand with a crash :p and putting a ride in on the right as well, that'll give you the perfect sort of "standard" setup. Then you can change it to suit your liking after that. $400 is a pretty good deal i think.

I think you set the drums up pretty good really, they don't look "too low" to me or anything, "power toms" like those sizes usually do tend to be quite near to the kick at the best of times tbh. The cymbals look quite nice, one of the things i would reccomend is checking out proper cymbal technique to avoid cracking. Those stock heads will probably want replacing at some point. Also at you should think about replacing that music stand with a crash :p and putting a ride in on the right as well, that'll give you the perfect sort of "standard" setup. Then you can change it to suit your liking after that. $400 is a pretty good deal i think.

I am ordering the Paiste crash tonight (just a cheapo to match these ones I've got) and then I'll eventually get better ones. The kid I got the kit from (I'm guessing he was 20 or 21, still living at home) said he played the kit for three years. I've put more stick marks on the heads in the few hours I've had it then were on it... LOL!

I will eventually replace the heads but right now, this will have to do.

Back